My Observation Of Effects Of Gla On A 70 Year Old

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The topical version is what I'm interested in. Since there's a much lower probability of getting sides but we know that GLA is a 5-ARI.

Not sure where to get topical GLA though.
Any updates on your treatment with gla ?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any updates on your treatment with gla ?

I've actually stopped using GLA very shortly after posting here because it is actually a very potent 5AR inhibitor.

Had similar sexual sides to Finasteride, not mental sides though so not as bad as Finasteride.

I stay away from 5AR inhibitors and anti-androgens.

Also, GLA is an Omega 6 fatty acid. I stay away from Omega 6. I've read that Omega 3 is much better.

For that reason I'm planning on starting on Omega 3 again, since it has DHA and EPA which is said to be important for hair. Omega 3 reduces inflammation so will help with inflammation of the scalp/HF's, also good for the heart.

I also recently tested Positive for Covid and I felt some weird feeling in my chest/heart, occasionally, was very mild. For that reason I didn't know whether it was a symptom from Covid or the Korean Red Ginseng Extract (KRGE) capsules I was taking.

The KRGE works similar to OM in theory, in that it also increases Nitric Oxide and reduces Blood Pressure. So it's a possibility it could have also been caused by the KRGE.

Also, I should have started off slowly with around 800mg or lower per day of KRGE, I instead started with 3200mg daily because I wanted to match the dosage of the study.

Also, I've gotten pretty unfit having not done exercise or hit the gym in like 3 years so my cardiovascular health was not in the best condition to have tried treatments that work on that MOA.

Gonna give myself at least 3 weeks to heal (even though Im better now, Covid has gone away) before working out again. Gotta take it slowly post Covid because it can cause strain to the lungs and heart even if you're young.

Last edited:

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've actually stopped using GLA very shortly after posting here because it is actually a very potent 5AR inhibitor.

Had similar sexual sides to Finasteride, not mental sides though so not as bad as Finasteride.

Also, GLA is an Omega 6 fatty acid. I stay away from Omega 6. I've read that Omega 3 is much better.

For that reason I'm planning on starting on Omega 3 again, since it has DHA and EPA which is said to be important for hair. Omega 3 reduces inflammation so will help with inflammation of the scalp/HF's, also good for the heart.

I also recently tested Positive for Covid and I felt some weird feeling in my chest/heart, occasionally, was very mild. For that reason I didn't know whether it was a symptom from Covid or the Korean Red Ginseng Extract (KRGE) capsules I was taking.

The KRGE works similar to OM in theory, in that it also increases Nitric Oxide and reduces Blood Pressure. So it's a possibility it could have also been caused by the KRGE.

Also, I should have started off slowly with around 800mg or lower per day of KRGE, I instead started with 3200mg daily because I wanted to match the dosage of the study.

Also, I've gotten pretty unfit having not done exercise or hit the gym in like 3 years so my cardiovascular health was not in the best condition to have tried treatments that work on that MOA.

Gonna give myself at least 3 weeks to heal (even though Im better now, Covid has gone away) before working out again. Gotta take it slowly post Covid because it can cause strain to the lungs and heart even if you're young.
U should try gla omega 3 epa and DHA together and maybe alternate days take sp.

I agree with u. Gla seems to do something. Even in low quantity.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

which brand of krge? i found diff get the proper dosage by suppl

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

When i stopped the GLA and only took Omega 3. the shedding occured after many months. Besides GLA helps in wound healing throughout the body

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

34.5% increase after 8 months. That was 100mg daily. I’m taking 125mg. It proving to be a very good growth stimulant. To be honest I think the grape seed extract I started taking is helping my shed. I’ve had problems with circulations my whole life. Cold hands and feet for hours after I came in from the icy weather. Rest of my body warms up. Grape seed has helped that. Perhaps I’m getting more circulation to them follicles now :) anyway that’s all I take and I’m currently very happy(touch wood)
wats the grapeseed product u use?

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
noted. is that good as compared to yours?
No. Mine is 125mg per tablet, but the tocotrienols study used only 100mg so you could try yours. For me 1x125mg isn’t enough anymore. There definitely was a thickening in my hair for 5 months at 125mg. I’ll try 2 tablets soon(250mg). I’m even considering topical minoxidil now but it’s a hard decision.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
will this combination be best ?

Saw Palmetto
GLA
tocotrienols
polyphenols

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last three look good to me. I personally wouldn’t touch saw palmetto, you can get similar sides to finasteride but you might not be as sensitive to reducing DHT as I am. Give it a shot.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last three look good to me. I personally wouldn’t touch saw palmetto, you can get similar sides to finasteride but you might not be as sensitive to reducing DHT as I am. Give it a shot.
i am on saw palmetto second day

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Mine is 125mg per tablet, but the tocotrienols study used only 100mg so you could try yours. For me 1x125mg isn’t enough anymore. There definitely was a thickening in my hair for 5 months at 125mg. I’ll try 2 tablets soon(250mg). I’m even considering topical minoxidil now but it’s a hard decision.

What do u think of this product?

it is
Grape Seed Extract
(Vitis vinifera) 95% Proanthocyanidins
200 mg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11841365
Br J Dermatol. 2002 Jan;146(1):41-51.
Procyanidin B-2, extracted from apples, promotes hair growth: a laboratory study. Kamimura A, Takahashi T.
Source: Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co., 2, Miyukigaoka, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0841, Japan. ayako.kamimura@kyowa.co.jp
RESULTS:
We observed that procyanidin B-2 reduces the expression of PKC-alpha, -betaI, -betaII and -eta in cultured murine hair epithelial cells and also inhibits the translocation of these isozymes to the particulate fraction of hair epithelial cells. Our immunohistochemical analyses demonstrated that PKC-alpha, -betaI, -betaII and -eta are specifically expressed in the outer root sheaths of both anagen and telogen hair follicles. The hair matrix at the anagen stage showed no positive staining for these PKC isozymes. Moderate to intense staining for PKC-betaI and -betaII in the epidermis and hair follicles was observed in a telogen-specific manner; however, expression of PKC-alpha and -eta during the telogen stage was not conspicuous. Gö 6976, an inhibitor of calcium-dependent (conventional) PKC, proved to promote hair epithelial cell growth.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...44711300800409
Investigation of Topical Application of Procyanidin B-2 from Apple to Identify its Potential use as a Hair Growing Agent
Authors: Kamimura A, Takahashi T, Watanabe Y
Source: Phytomedicine. 2000;7(6):529-536.

Abstract: Procyanidin B-2 is a polyphenol compound we have identified in apple which acts as a hair-growing factor in the murine model both in vitro and in vivo. This report describes our investigation of the effects of 1% procyanidin B-2 tonic on human hair growth after sequential use for 6 months. A double-blind clinical test involving a total of 29 subjects was performed. Nineteen men in the procyanidin B-2 group and 10 men in the placebo control group were subjected to analyses. No adverse side effects were observed in either group. The hair-growing effect was evaluated using a macrophotography technique combined with measurements of the hair diameter of clipped hairs. The increase in number of total hairs in the designated scalp area (0.5 cm square = 0.25 cm2 area) of procyanidin B-2 group subjects after the 6 month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo control group subjects (procyanidin B-2, 6.68 + or = 5.53 (mean + or = SD)/0.25 cm2; placebo, 0.08 ± 4.56 (mean ± SD)/0.25 cm2; P < 0.005, two-sample t test). The increase in number of terminal hairs, which are defined as hairs more than 60 mcm in diameter, in the designated area (0.5 cm square = 0.25 cm2 area) of the procyanidin B-2 group subjects after the 6-month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo control group subjects (procyanidin B-2, 1.99 + or = 2.58 (mean ± SD)/0.25 cm2; placebo, -0.82 + or = 3.40 (mean ± SD)/0.25 cm2; P < 0.02, two-sample t test). Procyanidin B-2 therapy shows potential as a safe and promising cure for male pattern baldness.

http://www.salvepharma.com/prd_pdf/M...0-%20Ref.9.pdf
“Proanthocyanidins promote hair follicle cell proliferation and the anagen phase of hair growth.”
Takahashi T, Kamiya T, Yokoo Y. Acta Derm Venereol (Stockh) 78: 428-432, 1998.

In recently published research, Takahashi et al examined 1000 different plant products to determine if any of them could influence hair growth. They determined that proanthocyanidins extracted from grape seeds promoted the proliferation of hair cells by 230%. They also determined that proanthocyanidins converted the telogen (non-growing) phase of hair growth into the anagen (growing) phase of hair growth [1]. In this experiment, proanthocyanidins displayed hair-cycle-converting activity which was similar to that of minoxidil. At the end of their report, the authors say that “We are now investigating the possibility of the use of proanthocyanidins as agents for curing androgenic alopecia.”

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

What do u think of this product?

it is
Grape Seed Extract
(Vitis vinifera) 95% Proanthocyanidins
200 mg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11841365
Br J Dermatol. 2002 Jan;146(1):41-51.
Procyanidin B-2, extracted from apples, promotes hair growth: a laboratory study. Kamimura A, Takahashi T.
Source: Tsukuba Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co., 2, Miyukigaoka, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0841, Japan. ayako.kamimura@kyowa.co.jp
RESULTS:
We observed that procyanidin B-2 reduces the expression of PKC-alpha, -betaI, -betaII and -eta in cultured murine hair epithelial cells and also inhibits the translocation of these isozymes to the particulate fraction of hair epithelial cells. Our immunohistochemical analyses demonstrated that PKC-alpha, -betaI, -betaII and -eta are specifically expressed in the outer root sheaths of both anagen and telogen hair follicles. The hair matrix at the anagen stage showed no positive staining for these PKC isozymes. Moderate to intense staining for PKC-betaI and -betaII in the epidermis and hair follicles was observed in a telogen-specific manner; however, expression of PKC-alpha and -eta during the telogen stage was not conspicuous. Gö 6976, an inhibitor of calcium-dependent (conventional) PKC, proved to promote hair epithelial cell growth.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...44711300800409
Investigation of Topical Application of Procyanidin B-2 from Apple to Identify its Potential use as a Hair Growing Agent
Authors: Kamimura A, Takahashi T, Watanabe Y
Source: Phytomedicine. 2000;7(6):529-536.

Abstract: Procyanidin B-2 is a polyphenol compound we have identified in apple which acts as a hair-growing factor in the murine model both in vitro and in vivo. This report describes our investigation of the effects of 1% procyanidin B-2 tonic on human hair growth after sequential use for 6 months. A double-blind clinical test involving a total of 29 subjects was performed. Nineteen men in the procyanidin B-2 group and 10 men in the placebo control group were subjected to analyses. No adverse side effects were observed in either group. The hair-growing effect was evaluated using a macrophotography technique combined with measurements of the hair diameter of clipped hairs. The increase in number of total hairs in the designated scalp area (0.5 cm square = 0.25 cm2 area) of procyanidin B-2 group subjects after the 6 month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo control group subjects (procyanidin B-2, 6.68 + or = 5.53 (mean + or = SD)/0.25 cm2; placebo, 0.08 ± 4.56 (mean ± SD)/0.25 cm2; P < 0.005, two-sample t test). The increase in number of terminal hairs, which are defined as hairs more than 60 mcm in diameter, in the designated area (0.5 cm square = 0.25 cm2 area) of the procyanidin B-2 group subjects after the 6-month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo control group subjects (procyanidin B-2, 1.99 + or = 2.58 (mean ± SD)/0.25 cm2; placebo, -0.82 + or = 3.40 (mean ± SD)/0.25 cm2; P < 0.02, two-sample t test). Procyanidin B-2 therapy shows potential as a safe and promising cure for male pattern baldness.

http://www.salvepharma.com/prd_pdf/M...0-%20Ref.9.pdf
“Proanthocyanidins promote hair follicle cell proliferation and the anagen phase of hair growth.”
Takahashi T, Kamiya T, Yokoo Y. Acta Derm Venereol (Stockh) 78: 428-432, 1998.

In recently published research, Takahashi et al examined 1000 different plant products to determine if any of them could influence hair growth. They determined that proanthocyanidins extracted from grape seeds promoted the proliferation of hair cells by 230%. They also determined that proanthocyanidins converted the telogen (non-growing) phase of hair growth into the anagen (growing) phase of hair growth [1]. In this experiment, proanthocyanidins displayed hair-cycle-converting activity which was similar to that of minoxidil. At the end of their report, the authors say that “We are now investigating the possibility of the use of proanthocyanidins as agents for curing androgenic alopecia.”
It should be fine mate. I think I used that once before in 2017 lol