My Observation Of Effects Of Gla On A 70 Year Old

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
guys i have been lurking this forums since 2005.and have adequate knowledge on male pattern baldness.. initially i had the typical receding male pattern baldness at the side of my temples

Since then it has stabilised.. but hair seems to be thinning only.. i took finasteride for a few months at 1mg dosage and stopped. Never took it since 2005..

But on the topic of GLA and fish oil... I think GLA works ... its because my grandmum who is 70 yrs old , a female saw some benefits when she took some fish oil pills that contain GLA .. upoun checking i realised that .the fish oil is the OMEGA 369

EPA 60 mg
DHA 40 mg
GLA 33.3 mg

over a year the hair strands on her head was more.. previously it was like just much less strands. not only that my mum agrees with it as well. BTW we are Indians. Not Caucasian . though our genetic structures are kinda related or similar (* just afternote)

at the same time a 2018 study seems to confirm my observation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6164340/

Unsaturated fatty acid-derived prostaglandins, including latanoprost, isopropyl unoprostone, and bimatoprost, which have similar structures to omega-3, -6 and -9 fatty acids, have been shown to increase hair growth in mice or humans [24,25]. Studies on the reduction of hair loss using natural materials such as plants and seaweed containing unsaturated fatty acids have been conducted, with some studies showing that fermented foods such as cheese and yogurt are involved in regulation of gastric ulcer and inflammation [26,27]. Mackerel-derived fermented fish oil (FFO) contains omega-3 fatty acids, including docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) [28]. FFO is composed of about 57% unsaturated fatty acids and 40.8% saturated fatty acids, and DHA (7.4%) and EPA (5.4%) of FFO were reduced compared to those of unfermented fish oil. Nevertheless, DHA is the second most abundant unsaturated fatty acid in FFO [29].

While various effects of FFO containing DHA have been revealed in some studies for ameliorations of atopic dermatitis, memory loss and oxidative stress [29,30,31], reduction of hair loss using fermented materials have been rarely reported. We therefore investigated the effects and action mechanisms of FFO and DHA on hair growth.

Last edited:

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you have maintained your hair with fish oil?
i just started on the regime....i cant say for sure till a few months more.. so far i had postive effect fro the first few days... my scalp does not feel the same as before

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I read that right, you quit fina in 2005 right?

So what did you do to maintain your hair?
i did nothing except go on a high meat diet for every single day for 18 months..eating lamb .

somehow that seemed to have helped for maintainign hair for a few more years ... but not so in the long run after i stopped. it hair is thinking a t slow pace.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, so you're just balding very slowly.

Btw, zix seems perfect for you since your hairloss doesn't seem to aggressive.
yes i seem to be balding very slowly...

What is zix ? any links?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, so you're just balding very slowly.

Btw, zix seems perfect for you since your hairloss doesn't seem to aggressive.

Hi mate, you mentioned zix which contains Zinc if I'm not mistaken, do you still feel the same way about Zinc that it can actually increase DHT because maybe Zix hasn't been effective?

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi mate, you mentioned zix which contains Zinc if I'm not mistaken, do you still feel the same way about Zinc that it can actually increase DHT because maybe Zix hasn't been effective?
Hey Mickey, lots of guys using zix. Apparently it’s good for maintenance. However, during the three months I trialed it I experienced very oily skin. I think you’re right. It increased my t. My scalp did not feel great covered in powders and fillers either.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Mickey, lots of guys using zix. Apparently it’s good for maintenance. However, during the three months I trialed it I experienced very oily skin. I think you’re right. It increased my t. My scalp did not feel great covered in powders and fillers either.

Thanks for the feedback mate. Are you still using it? Do people lose gains when they stop? Is there a shedding/thinning period with Zix?

I've been looking for a topical to use, something that's safe, not trying to go straight into Minoxidil because I consider it quite harsh (even though I haven't had any side effects from it). I'm considering using Alpecin Caffeine Liquid twice a day.

According to a study done, it was just 1% behind Minoxidil 5% Topical in terms of efficacy.

Keeping my options open.

I'm also considering getting the Hairbiotics from HairGuard - to help with getting in good hair probiotics.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I tink high (local) doses are anti androgenic. Even know one guy who mentioned lower libido on zix. The dosage @worm uses is good.

Have you used it? And if you did, any improvements? And shedding/thinning/typical 5AR inhibitor sides?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Zix seemed to slow down my hairloss but not strong enough to completely halt it in my case, I also tried it in combo with needling.

Btw check this if you don't want to go straight to minoxidil: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...gns-of-new-growth.134850/page-22#post-2035664

Sounds interesting

Yeah I've just recently started following that thread, although that dose by the OP sounds super high. 10 x 1000mg pills sounds risky, no wonder some of the guys on high doses are reporting some mild problems like irregular bowels and some people mentioned shedding.

I know MSM is important because I also see it on the ingredients list of a few hair growth supplements.

I've only recently just started taking a supplement which contains 20mg of MSM, amongst many other important stuff, but I'm sure that's a too low dose and I'm willing to up the dose.

Have you tried MSM? Curious to find a reasonable but safe dose.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback mate. Are you still using it? Do people lose gains when they stop? Is there a shedding/thinning period with Zix?

I've been looking for a topical to use, something that's safe, not trying to go straight into Minoxidil because I consider it quite harsh (even though I haven't had any side effects from it). I'm considering using Alpecin Caffeine Liquid twice a day.

According to a study done, it was just 1% behind Minoxidil 5% Topical in terms of efficacy.

Keeping my options open.

I'm also considering getting the Hairbiotics from HairGuard - to help with getting in good hair probiotics.
I’m not using it and the oily skin went away pretty soon so I’d prefer not to use it. I felt at first it was helping but looking back at pictures there was no improvement. I did shed while using it but that was just normal shedding perhaps. I was looking out for it more while using zix. Minoxidil is very harsh so that’s a good idea. Do you have diffuse thinning?

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I've just recently started following that thread, although that dose by the OP sounds super high. 10 x 1000mg pills sounds risky, no wonder some of the guys on high doses are reporting some mild problems like irregular bowels and some people mentioned shedding.

I know MSM is important because I also see it on the ingredients list of a few hair growth supplements.

I've only recently just started taking a supplement which contains 20mg of MSM, amongst many other important stuff, but I'm sure that's a too low dose and I'm willing to up the dose.

Have you tried MSM? Curious to find a reasonable but safe dose.
I’m going to try MSM after 8 months on tocotrienols. 1-3g are worth a shot. Those mega doses will cause problems IMO

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m not using it and the oily skin went away pretty soon so I’d prefer not to use it. I felt at first it was helping but looking back at pictures there was no improvement. I did shed while using it but that was just normal shedding perhaps. I was looking out for it more while using zix. Minoxidil is very harsh so that’s a good idea. Do you have diffuse thinning?

Yes i do have diffuse thinning, so I find it difficult to stick to the 1ml or 2ml per application for Topicals. It's difficult to use such a small amount to cover the entire top of the scalp, I would use wayyyyyyyyy more with my topicals because I like to make sure the top of my scalp is well soaked with the sufficient Topical.

For that reason I was happy to use Alpecin Caffeine Liquid since it's relatively low cost, it's 200ml a bottle, and I end up using a bottle a week if I'm applying it twice daily. Due to the low cost I'm able to afford to buy a new bottle each week if I have to.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m going to try MSM after 8 months on tocotrienols. 1-3g are worth a shot. Those mega doses will cause problems IMO

Yeah that sounds decent. Once I'm done with my 20mg MSM, I'll move up to 1g, then the next month, 2 grams, then the following month cap at 3grams max.