My Finasteride Update, 22 Y/o (pics)

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
I am modifying my approach. After 2 weeks of oral, I have observed a bloating face, and a slight weight gain. I also do intermediate level of Gymnastics, and I could feel a level of stiffness that comes with change in weight. Maybe I will try to do twice oral (or whatever nights I could not apply topical due to some reasons), as with topical I never had issues with weight gain or bloating in face etc. If anybody is taking this approach then please share insights. Thank you!
What?
minoxidil?

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ayy lmao, don't freak out over the hair part photos, to my outsider eye your density looks pretty much the same.
I've learnt to focus less on individual thin patches or what not and more on the overall look and feel of your hair - if it's really getting worse and you pay attention to it, you'll notice. Previous hairstyles will look weird, it will be hard to style it etc.

Even then, it could still just be temporary shedding and the hair will grow back in a few months. I've had similar moments, sometimes the hair was better, sometimes worse - and it seems like I've maintained for 4 years.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks great, you’ve maintained for two years. Have you actually done a biopsy to determine miniaturization of the hairs on your head? I would say stick with your current regimen, don’t even bother adding min. If you do want the regrowth with the chance for temp shedding add oral min.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ayy lmao, don't freak out over the hair part photos, to my outsider eye your density looks pretty much the same.
I've learnt to focus less on individual thin patches or what not and more on the overall look and feel of your hair - if it's really getting worse and you pay attention to it, you'll notice. Previous hairstyles will look weird, it will be hard to style it etc.

Even then, it could still just be temporary shedding and the hair will grow back in a few months. I've had similar moments, sometimes the hair was better, sometimes worse - and it seems like I've maintained for 4 years.
Thanks bro, the general consensus is that my hair hasn’t gotten worse which is all I care about. I can live with my hair the way it is, but if it’s starts to deteriorate on finasteride I’ll start bugging lol.
Looks great, you’ve maintained for two years. Have you actually done a biopsy to determine miniaturization of the hairs on your head? I would say stick with your current regimen, don’t even bother adding min. If you do want the regrowth with the chance for temp shedding add oral min.
Thanks for responding to this thread man. Never did a biopsy (after my time here I realize these guys know more about hair loss than dermatologists or “professionals”) I don’t really want to bother paying money to get useless information. I do have miniaturization all over, some other photos show the thinning better in this thread. But as long as I’m maintaining like you and all the other guys said, then I’m happy

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks bro, the general consensus is that my hair hasn’t gotten worse which is all I care about. I can live with my hair the way it is, but if it’s starts to deteriorate on finasteride I’ll start bugging lol.
Haha same. I think I'm in a similar situation in that I'm more or less maintaining what is a decent head of hair to normies. I'm heading towards 30. If it gets worse, I may think of adding things and maybe do some transplant in future.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha same. I think I'm in a similar situation in that I'm more or less maintaining what is a decent head of hair to normies. I'm heading towards 30. If it gets worse, I may think of adding things and maybe do some transplant in future.
I’ve seen your hair, it looks good bro. What other things would you consider adding?

I’d rather add dutasteride on before going towards minoxidil. I don’t want the hassle of minoxidil (unless I went the oral route).

From my couple years of browsing this place, I haven’t seen anyone on dutasteride go bald. Or even consistent finasteride users to be honest. Can anyone in this thread point me to a place where someone consistently used finasteride or dutasteride for years and showed a steady loss to eventual baldness?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I’ve seen your hair, it looks good bro. What other things would you consider adding?

I’d rather add dutasteride on before going towards minoxidil. I don’t want the hassle of minoxidil (unless I went the oral route).

From my couple years of browsing this place, I haven’t seen anyone on dutasteride go bald. Or even consistent finasteride users to be honest. Can anyone in this thread point me to a place where someone consistently used finasteride or dutasteride for years and showed a steady loss to eventual baldness?
You honestly will do about the same on dutasteride but may have more side effects. Why even bother for now as you are maintaining? Stop overthinking your situation. You started early enough. I have been on finasteride( tried dutasteride and saw no benefit but more sides and I had legitimate dutasteride). For over 15 years lost some density but the average person would never question I have. Hairline did recede more but only minor. You just have to be consistent and maybe try new things along the way but always stick with finasteride and minoxidil as your main treatments.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
You honestly will do about the same on dutasteride but may have more side effects. Why even bother for now as you are maintaining? Stop overthinking your situation. You started early enough. I have been on finasteride( tried dutasteride and saw no benefit but more sides and I had legitimate dutasteride). For over 15 years lost some density but the average person would never question I have. Hairline did recede more but only minor. You just have to be consistent and maybe try new things along the way but always stick with finasteride and minoxidil as your main treatments.
Hey man, do you have an idea about diffuse thinning from post accutane? I have some hair loss that’s sometimes patchy on the sides or on top. No family history of balding. Started a few months after a 6 month treatment of accutane. minoxidil has helped some but it’s been almost 2 years since I finished accutane and I’m not back where I was. Patchiness and general thinning. It’s not noticeable so derms don’t take me seriously.

one thing that stood out was my hair became curly after the treatment. Which is a sign of diffuse alopecia areata. I wonder if immunosuppressants can help.

heres a link of how common the issue is on accutane:https://www.acne.org/forums/topic/152239-the-answers-i-got-from-my-doctor-about-hair-loss/

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey man, do you have an idea about diffuse thinning from post accutane? I have some hair loss that’s sometimes patchy on the sides or on top. No family history of balding. Started a few months after a 6 month treatment of accutane. minoxidil has helped some but it’s been almost 2 years since I finished accutane and I’m not back where I was. Patchiness and general thinning. It’s not noticeable so derms don’t take me seriously.

one thing that stood out was my hair became curly after the treatment. Which is a sign of diffuse alopecia areata. I wonder if immunosuppressants can help.

heres a link of how common the issue is on accutane:https://www.acne.org/forums/topic/152239-the-answers-i-got-from-my-doctor-about-hair-loss/
I don't know anything about post accutane diffuse thinning.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue is, I’m fairly confident I have not maintained these past few years. If that were the case, that means the next 10 years I may be in an extremely worse position. I’m sticking to finasteride for now, but I’m just weighing out my options if I prove to have lost more within the next year or so.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue is, I’m fairly confident I have not maintained these past few years. If that were the case, that means the next 10 years I may be in an extremely worse position. I’m sticking to finasteride for now, but I’m just weighing out my options if I prove to have lost more within the next year or so.
I think you should relax. You’ve clearly maintained in a visual aspect over 2 whole years. You’re unlikely to suddenly progress heavily anytime soon. By the time thats a reality there would perhaps be better options on the market.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s a slight update, I got home from work and looked in the mirror and saw this clear diffusing (at least in my opinion), it was very discouraging. I’ll post two pics of what it looked like and then two pics of what it looks like when I run my hand through my hair to correct it.

It sucks cause I’ve noticed I’ve developed a constant tick to run my hand through my hair to fix any scalp That might be showing. I’m not sure if it’s this noticeable in regular lighting cause this was taken in my bathroom. The pictures don’t look as bad as it does in person (where you can see a bunch of scalp from different angles as I turn my head)

Thoughts? Do you guys think people notice this and think somethings up?

Attachments

• 5C1B230B-202D-4DBE-9073-D9608EF77952.jpeg
    5C1B230B-202D-4DBE-9073-D9608EF77952.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 395
  • D162F985-CD12-4B6D-920E-BA8C5C24A44C.jpeg
    D162F985-CD12-4B6D-920E-BA8C5C24A44C.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 939D153D-8E10-4B8F-BAA3-93B3589DF45E.jpeg
    939D153D-8E10-4B8F-BAA3-93B3589DF45E.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 01F7051F-D168-4364-BBEA-F79EF957C1DD.jpeg
    01F7051F-D168-4364-BBEA-F79EF957C1DD.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 384

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think the average person would notice. I look for that sh*t in others because of my own insecurities and am good at noticing hair problems and I barely notice it.

Only really notice it in 3rd picture, honestly. If the wind hits you right, or you mess with your hair, a trained eye might notice.... the average prob isn't going to.

But anyone with a trained eye capable of noticing very likely has hair issues of their own, likely worse than yours. I hope this helps with confidence.

Now for the concealing styler in me, I think you'd do well with a combed back look, it would hide the spot. It wouldn't be much different than your current style, just less messy. Back and to the weak side slightly, to cover it. It would take notice off that spot and more onto your hairline, which is still looking good.

Do you microneedle that area at all or do anything different?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think the average person would notice. I look for that sh*t in others because of my own insecurities and am good at noticing hair problems and I barely notice it.

Only really notice it in 3rd picture, honestly. If the wind hits you right, or you mess with your hair, a trained eye might notice.... the average prob isn't going to.

But anyone with a trained eye capable of noticing very likely has hair issues of their own, likely worse than yours. I hope this helps with confidence.

Now for the concealing styler in me, I think you'd do well with a combed back look, it would hide the spot. It wouldn't be much different than your current style, just less messy. Back and to the weak side slightly, to cover it. It would take notice off that spot and more onto your hairline, which is still looking good.

Do you microneedle that area at all or do anything different?
No I don’t microneedle, and I do comb my hair back, it just gets messy after a full day lol. I use toppik but again, after a full day my hair moves around so much that it seems to disappear.

Thanks for your honesty. I hope I’m continuing to maintain after all this time, I can live with my hair as is. No one has really ever said anything about me “balding” and once in a while I still get complimented on my hair, so that’s a plus.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s a slight update, I got home from work and looked in the mirror and saw this clear diffusing (at least in my opinion), it was very discouraging. I’ll post two pics of what it looked like and then two pics of what it looks like when I run my hand through my hair to correct it.

It sucks cause I’ve noticed I’ve developed a constant tick to run my hand through my hair to fix any scalp That might be showing. I’m not sure if it’s this noticeable in regular lighting cause this was taken in my bathroom. The pictures don’t look as bad as it does in person (where you can see a bunch of scalp from different angles as I turn my head)

Nah, I don't think anyone would notice that. Your hair looks good in those pics. Before I started balding I didn't notice even a NW3 hairline, although nowadays I notice stuff like that all the time. But even I wouldn't really think anything was up if I saw someone with that hair on the street.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

bro. You're a full head. Anyone who doesn’t have thick hair will look like their thinning with greasy hair. As greasy hair sticks together, especially on a part like your picture, scalp will show.

there’s a reason why nobody has said you’re balding... because you aren’t.

To BDD folks like you and I though, finasteride gives us peace of mind.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah, I don't think anyone would notice that. Your hair looks good in those pics. Before I started balding I didn't notice even a NW3 hairline, although nowadays I notice stuff like that all the time. But even I wouldn't really think anything was up if I saw someone with that hair on the street.
Thanks bro, I noticed the same thing. The first day someone mentioned “bald spot” in the back (really just some crown thinning that looked bad that day) I immediately started studying this sh*t. Within like 2 weeks I went to work and noticed all these older guys were balding, I had no clue before lmao. That’s why it’s hard to tell what non balding people notice.

bro. You're a full head. Anyone who doesn’t have thick hair will look like their thinning with greasy hair. As greasy hair sticks together, especially on a part like your picture, scalp will show.

there’s a reason why nobody has said you’re balding... because you aren’t.

To BDD folks like you and I though, finasteride gives us peace of mind.
lol appreciate it man. Go to some of my earlier posts in this thread, there are some clear pics that show my thinning. I got “diagnosed” with male pattern baldness to get on finasteride. Luckily, I didn’t wait like most people here, as soon as someone mentioned my thinning I took pics, freaked out, and made an appointment with a dermatologist within a week. But I do appreciate the confirmation that it’s not too bad. Sometimes that kick in the *** is really helpful when you’re bugging out n BDDing over your hair.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks bro, I noticed the same thing. The first day someone mentioned “bald spot” in the back (really just some crown thinning that looked bad that day) I immediately started studying this sh*t. Within like 2 weeks I went to work and noticed all these older guys were balding, I had no clue before lmao. That’s why it’s hard to tell what non balding people notice.

lol appreciate it man. Go to some of my earlier posts in this thread, there are some clear pics that show my thinning. I got “diagnosed” with male pattern baldness to get on finasteride. Luckily, I didn’t wait like most people here, as soon as someone mentioned my thinning I took pics, freaked out, and made an appointment with a dermatologist within a week. But I do appreciate the confirmation that it’s not too bad. Sometimes that kick in the *** is really helpful when you’re bugging out n BDDing over your hair.
How is Fina working for you? Any sides? Your hair looks good and you have plenty of it. If u are a responder to Fina u should have plenty of hair for plenty of years

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
How is Fina working for you? Any sides? Your hair looks good and you have plenty of it. If u are a responder to Fina u should have plenty of hair for plenty of years
Finasteride has given me no side effects as far as I can tell. I’m currently having more sex on finasteride than I was prior to using finasteride. At the same time, after being on it for 2+ years I may not have the same CRAZY sex drive as I used to. For instance, I used to actually pop wood sometimes in public when I saw a hot girl and I thought too much about it. Where as now, I very rarely get random boners. That’s as far as I can tell with any side effect, but if I wasn’t on finasteride I would never notice this.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m so glad I got on finasteride as soon as I noticed I was thinning. I hope you’re right about me keeping it for a long time. The one thing that I think bothers everyone on finasteride Is the existential dread that one day it’ll stop working