My Finasteride Update, 22 Y/o (pics)

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Angle is a bit different but i don't think u have lost hair. That is good for 15 months finasteride, shows u will probably be good for a long time.
Looks better. Congrats man.
Thanks bros :).

Doesn’t even look like your balding from those Pics. Your hair looks thick.

I wouldn’t switch to duta if I were you. Are you shedding a lot?
So yeah I shed a decent amount. There’s hair all over my bathroom and I’ll always catch a hair on my notebooks in class. I’m about a nw2 (strong hairline) but it’s my overall diffusing that’s the problem. My strands of hair are significantly thinner since I’ve noticed my balding. I was always known for extremely thick hair which wouldn’t even blow in the wind. Now, even the wind from me walking will move all my hair around, I can feel it as I walk. I have toppik in right now so it won’t be an accurate representation of my crown but I’ll take pics of it soon and show you guys where I’m at. I do have some BDD so it’s tough for me to tell if it’s changed or not in the crown area, especially because I style my hair better now to cover the thinning. But I’ll do my best to take photos under the same conditions to get an accurate measure of the difference. 15 months is a decent amount of time when you’re young and balding so if it’s unchanged I’m HAPPY.

You have a similar situation to me. Your hair isn’t bad at all, but slightly diffused. Diffusion makes it so hard to accurately tell if your maintaining. But honestly, at this age (when balding tends to be more aggressive) to be unchanged in 15 months is an amazing sign. And I remember your pics looked unchanged too :).

Last edited:

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup god damn diffuse thinning this the worst. How many hairs a day would you say you lose?

But in pictures for me it doesn’t look that much different but man does it feel thinner. And at the rate I’m losing it has to be getting thinner. When I was shedding around 100 a day (which was still a lot ) i was so happy and didn’t even think about hair loss. But 200-300 is devastating and it’s all I think about.
It’s hard for me to tell how much I’m losing a day cause I don’t pay much attention anymore. I care more about how my hair looks than how much I shed.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s a pic comparison of my hair last year (on left) and today (on right). Different lighting but it doesn’t seem to have gotten worse.

Attachments

• D06831A5-D316-4649-85F9-1414B99E4AC6.jpeg
    D06831A5-D316-4649-85F9-1414B99E4AC6.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 301

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe a bit better actually.
Thanks bro! I’ll try to post some side by side dry photos as well for comparison.

Also, still no sides. Maybe slight decrease in libido but I can still get it up when necessary

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is still in great shape considering those pics are taken when wet, my crown looks like absolute sh*t when wet, bald patches everywhere, if you are considering dutasteride then you are sure to be able to keep your hair like that for a very long time.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair is still in great shape considering those pics are taken when wet, my crown looks like absolute sh*t when wet, bald patches everywhere, if you are considering dutasteride then you are sure to be able to keep your hair like that for a very long time.
Thanks man. I’m still considering it but I’m weighing out the pros and cons to taking it.

Pros being that I’ll most likely keep my hair for a longer time. But at the same time, after 15 months it seems like I’m maintaining fine on finasteride.

Cons being all of the stories I’ve heard of people having 0 sides on finasteride but then experiencing sides on dutasteride.

How’s dutasteride working for you?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was discouraged to come
Home today from school and put a mirror up to my crown. I never do this and hope the toppik has covered everything.

Today however, when I got back and checked I was clearly able to see my thinning, regardless of the toppik. Here are some pics I got. It looked worse in person where I was able to see different angles.

Do you guys think the average person sees this as balding? Like I said, the thinning was a lot clearer in person, its hard to get a photo that captures the whole situation

Attachments

• C51D2A4C-3BEC-47F2-83A0-8E272D5EAB01.jpeg
    C51D2A4C-3BEC-47F2-83A0-8E272D5EAB01.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 8540C1D4-9E51-4E1E-88C3-58A02C0023AA.jpeg
    8540C1D4-9E51-4E1E-88C3-58A02C0023AA.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 392
  • B5F36402-E315-4D7F-8911-137282075A9B.jpeg
    B5F36402-E315-4D7F-8911-137282075A9B.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 395

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Home today from school and put a mirror up to my crown. I never do this and hope the toppik has covered everything.

Today however, when I got back and checked I was clearly able to see my thinning, regardless of the toppik. Here are some pics I got. It looked worse in person where I was able to see different angles.

Do you guys think the average person sees this as balding? Like I said, the thinning was a lot clearer in person, its hard to get a photo that captures the whole situation

The average person likely won't see that as thinning. Is your only issue your spot on crown? If so you might react well to minoxidil, but honestly I'd hold off another year and see if it progresses first instead of risking a minoxidil shed of all your good hair.

Also, look into dermmatch, for a spot that small you'd get a full year out of 1 disk. Then you don't gotta worry about rain or touching it. Fibers are better if your hair loss is severe and you need to thicken up a lot while dermmatch is better it you have good volume but gotta hide a spot.

Instructions on package suck.

Wet applicator with a few drops of cold water. Scrape the disk a little. Dab onto bald spot. Comb it so its even on the hairs surrounding it. Blow dry for a few seconds on low and warm, then until fully dry on cold. Will look perfect.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
The average person likely won't see that as thinning. Is your only issue your spot on crown? If so you might react well to minoxidil, but honestly I'd hold off another year and see if it progresses first instead of risking a minoxidil shed of all your good hair.

Also, look into dermmatch, for a spot that small you'd get a full year out of 1 disk. Then you don't gotta worry about rain or touching it. Fibers are better if your hair loss is severe and you need to thicken up a lot while dermmatch is better it you have good volume but gotta hide a spot.

Instructions on package suck.

Wet applicator with a few drops of cold water. Scrape the disk a little. Dab onto bald spot. Comb it so its even on the hairs surrounding it. Blow dry for a few seconds on low and warm, then until fully dry on cold. Will look perfect.
I’ve always read that toppik works a lot better than dermatch. Especially in the crown. I can try it out though, why not? Do you recommend a color for my hair?

Also, my whole density up top is bad, but it’s the crown that shows the most.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve always read that toppik works a lot better than dermatch. Especially in the crown. I can try it out though, why not? Do you recommend a color for my hair?

Also, my whole density up top is bad, but it’s the crown that shows the most.

Dermmatch is just harder to learn how to use, but once learned looks 10x better and no worries about rain or getting bumped / touched.

I use dark brown, your hair looks a bit lighter than mine, so I'd probably go with medium brown.

When you first get it the disk is very hard. At first I had to put a FEW drops of water directly on the disk to soften it up, but now I just wet the applicator.

I used only fibers for about 2 years, on about 1 year of dermmatch. Usually I don't need to add fibers on day 1, but I leave it in for 3 days usually and by day 3 I usually need a very small shake of fibers (caboki for me) to make it look perfect again. The main problem is if it gets wet it looks very natural, but once it redries it looks shiny. Literally 1 to 2 shakes fixes that. If you don't get it wet it lasts 3 to 5 days easily. 1 disk of dermmatch lasts me about a year to a year and a half.. a 30g bottle of caboki for just occasionally freshing it up on day 3 lasts about the same.

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

No average person would ever look at that and think thinning. My crown is worse than that and no one has ever mentioned it or noticed.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
No average person would ever look at that and think thinning. My crown is worse than that and no one has ever mentioned it or noticed.
Thanks man! I really appreciate it.

Here are two pics I took today when I was getting ready for a job interview. Unfortunately with my dry hair I can see through my part a lot more now than ever, which is pushing me towards going to dutasteride.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 5DF9525F-9466-4FFC-9DAC-25E814CD2017.jpeg
    5DF9525F-9466-4FFC-9DAC-25E814CD2017.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 359
  • F217EE22-C1E8-413B-9695-9E5E9236FB98.jpeg
    F217EE22-C1E8-413B-9695-9E5E9236FB98.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 350

BigOl'BaldingHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man! I really appreciate it.

Here are two pics I took today when I was getting ready for a job interview. Unfortunately with my dry hair I can see through my part a lot more now than ever, which is pushing me towards going to dutasteride.

Thoughts?

It's quite normal to see your scalp with a parting. But maybe create a stronger parting because it does look weird right now.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's quite normal to see your scalp with a parting. But maybe create a stronger parting because it does look weird right now.
Lol that’s just how it looks, idk why. The stronger the parting the worse it gets.

Do you think anyone would catch on to that?

BigOl'BaldingHead

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol that’s just how it looks, idk why. The stronger the parting the worse it gets.

Do you think anyone would catch on to that?

No not at all. People only think someone's balding when he has a NW3+ thinning hairline and/or significant crown thinning which you don't have.
You just have thin hair, like alot of white people. You still have thicker hair than my little brother for example who isn't balding.

I have a similar thickness to you, probably slightly ticker and I am not worried at all that people think I'm balding.