MSM supplement showing signs of new growth

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any nausea when taking MSM without food on an empty stomach?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any nausea when taking MSM without food on an empty stomach?
I have,along with headaches and insomnia.But its nothing to worry about.Everything will go away in a matter of a few weeks.Take the bigger dose morning time and the smaller one before 4pm.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very interesting. This is the first time I'm hearing of this as a viable treatment so I have some questions for those who have gone down this path:

What is the optimal dosing for achieving results? Any negative health consequences in the long run from supplementing this daily and on higher doses? Am I to understand that this will only help those who suffer from non-androgenetic alopecia as it doesn't really do anything about DHT, but rather fixes inflammation? Which means that for those who do not take finasteride/dutasteride or any other DHT blocker, they're pretty much still screwed? Is this somehow different for diffuse thinners?
It does inhibit dht to a certain level. But it's works best when taken with other dht inhibitors

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very interesting. This is the first time I'm hearing of this as a viable treatment so I have some questions for those who have gone down this path:

What is the optimal dosing for achieving results? Any negative health consequences in the long run from supplementing this daily and on higher doses? Am I to understand that this will only help those who suffer from non-androgenetic alopecia as it doesn't really do anything about DHT, but rather fixes inflammation? Which means that for those who do not take finasteride/dutasteride or any other DHT blocker, they're pretty much still screwed? Is this somehow different for diffuse thinners?
I quit finasteride and min and haven’t had any negative hair effects. Only positive results here from taking msm. No negative side effects whatsoever tbh.

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not me. I would dose on an empty stomach with orange juice and my vita drink and not eat for hours after with no nausea

I believe in my case anyway the optimal dose is 20g a day. Although when I first started it was 10g a day split 5 in the morning and 5 mid afternoon.

Reactions: 300

fashy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t shed at all anymore. Before my head used to itch, dandruff,scalp pimples, now all is cleared up.

My only worry is that MSM works best for very inflammed scalps, which I do not have anymore (I believe). I had dandruff and inflammation before but Nizoral basically took care of that so I'm left with good old male pattern baldness and diffuse.

I guess it still doesn't hurt to try though. Does it matter if I take pills or powder form? Most reputable brands?

• Dislike

Lumalux

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on MSM contributing to beard and body hair growth other than head hair? I am using MSM in conjunction with vitamin C and oral Minoxidil.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My only worry is that MSM works best for very inflammed scalps
for what it’s worth mine’s more inflammed, as in itching’s always been high and it still isn’t gone entirely on this supplement like other users had it. Shedding was high beforehand too and altho it’s a bit more tame now, I no longer bother tryna pinpoint the cause of it. So many factors can trigger Telogen Effluvium. Lately itching’s been down a notch with Nizoral but still not completely gone. All I got from MSM are some new vellus hairs on the temple and an overall shinier look to my hair.

fashy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for what it’s worth mine’s more inflammed, as in itching’s always been high and it still isn’t gone entirely on this supplement like other users had it. Shedding was high beforehand too and altho it’s a bit more tame now, I no longer bother tryna pinpoint the cause of it. So many factors can trigger Telogen Effluvium. Lately itching’s been down a notch with Nizoral but still not completely gone. All I got from MSM are some new vellus hairs on the temple and an overall shinier look to my hair.

So you didn't notice an increase in density? I'm not sure if this is worth just doing because of shinier hair or vellus hair that will probably not turn terminal if it didn't cosmetically improve the density at least somewhat. Maybe if it maintained it wouldn't be a bad tool for the arsenal though.

• Dislike

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you didn't notice an increase in density?
I mean as I mentioned above at some point, a minor cosmetic boost did take place, wherein the front now appears slightly fuller and darker, thanks to all the velluses along and "beneath" the hairline but they're either taking forever to grow or they might just remain velluses at 10 grams a day. (im tempted to throw stronger stuff at em) But I wouldn't consider my feedback as some kinda benchmark cause almost everyone else had their itch and shed subside completely, and there's also this report which is quite impressive if legit. I'll start 20g a day soon but no more until others prove their gains at higher doses. It's too much hassle and costs to run it that hard.

Kidbako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My only worry is that MSM works best for very inflammed scalps, which I do not have anymore (I believe). I had dandruff and inflammation before but Nizoral basically took care of that so I'm left with good old male pattern baldness and diffuse.

I guess it still doesn't hurt to try though. Does it matter if I take pills or powder form? Most reputable brands?
I got off of nizoral also. Some here say brands matter but I have used a couple different brands off of Amazon. The NOW brand is what I started with and using now. Also the magnesium/msm spray I use topical at least once a day. I actually like my hair routine now. Off the meds and feeling normal again.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain now that after a while the MSM levels in the body just stabilize and after that maybe you just piss away any excess. Would explain why the initial results were so noticeable as the body was quickly reaching the heights due to the large doses. And after that it kinda just probably stays steady and maybe with a little extra boost from something else the regrow will be quicker
Ive been mostly taking 10g MSM per day, occasionally 15g but started having the odd day every week or so with only the minimum 2g to at least try and avoid stabilising and my body getting used to a high dose. Have had success with this method with other supps in the past.

Can also vouch for having no noticable shedding, and still great texture and volume. Pre MSM I would have a few days every few weeks where I would go through a heavy shed, but not had any of these days since I started MSM about 8 weeks ago. Best my hairs looked for years. Although I'm also still hammering magnesium and dead sea salt Topical, I think the MSM is truly working wonders not just for my hair.

Overall my body feels more flexible, no joint pain from long shifts at work and gym performance through the roof. This is coming form someone who has been lifting and doing cardio for 20 plus years. If they rebranded MSM as the new creatine it would sell out IMO.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I ve had scalp psoriasis with thick plaques my whole life.Even strong steroids didnt work.But for the last few weeks my scalp is mostly clean .Is the msm responsible?I don't know but if it isn't that must be some wild coincidence.That by itself is a huge bonus for me.Besides that, mostly thin lifeless hairs all over my scalp.

fashy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is MSM easy on the stomach at these doses (5-10g+) ? Read some people get a lot of gas/ bloating (from which I suffer regularly already so an addition would be pain).