MSM supplement showing signs of new growth

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen a study saying that magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (MAP) and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) used in combination have the best results compared to MSM used alone.

Anyone have any idea where we can get this combination of MAP and MSM from a reputable source?

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen a study saying that magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (MAP) and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) used in combination have the best results compared to MSM used alone.

Anyone have any idea where we can get this combination of MAP and MSM from a reputable source?
i think MAP is sold as powder products

Avacado

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Too much of a hassle to apply it topically like in the study I linked, especially when I'm already using a topical.

I'll stick to taking MSM in oral form.

How is MSM working for you Micky and which brand are you taking?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just about 2 months.My previous reports pages 6&14.Thin,colorless hairs at different places on my scalp,especially on the right side on my hairline.
They are growing the same length like the rest of my hair.But as i said they are very thin and are cosmetically insignificant.
I am still at about 12 to 13 grams/day.I still have severe insomnia,but headaches are gone.No other sides.
It seems like is another option we have in our disposal.If i knew a way to thicken up those thin hairs then it would be a game changer.Lets wait and see what happens.
I dont wanna speculate and i ll be back 'in one year' hopefully with a much better report.Good luck to everybody.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is MSM working for you Micky and which brand are you taking?

I'm taking 20mg of MSM in a capsule that has about 25 other components, so I can't tell for sure if it is the MSM that's working.

However, I have only been taking it for 1.5 months. I will need a lot more time to notice any difference.

I am also using a Caffeine Topical (Alpecin Caffeine Liquid) twice daily, which also contains Niacin. My hair feels healthier so far.

I like Caffeine Topicals because it doesn't inhibit 5AR like Finasteride (I'm sensitive to such 5AR inhibitors) but it prevents DHT from binding to the Hair Follicles. Which actually theoretically is perfect because you don't want to reduce DHT as it's really important in our bodies, we only want to prevent it from binding to the hair follicles.

I'm also taking Korean Red Ginseng root extract for around the same time. Actually really interesting stuff. It apparently down-regulates the sensitivity of the Hair Follicles to DHT and it also prevents the apoptosis (death and destruction) of dermal papilla cells.
It also acts similar to Minoxidil in the way of Nitric Oxide and has a stimulatory effect.

There's some interesting literature and studies on Korean Red Ginseng, if anyone wants to know more, I'll post them.

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just about 2 months.My previous reports pages 6&14.Thin,colorless hairs at different places on my scalp,especially on the right side on my hairline.
They are growing the same length like the rest of my hair.But as i said they are very thin and are cosmetically insignificant.
I am still at about 12 to 13 grams/day.I still have severe insomnia,but headaches are gone.No other sides.
It seems like is another option we have in our disposal.If i knew a way to thicken up those thin hairs then it would be a game changer.Lets wait and see what happens.
I dont wanna speculate and i ll be back 'in one year' hopefully with a much better report.Good luck to everybody.

Even if it's not cosmetically significant hairs, the important thing is that it is actually reviving hair follicles. When better treatments in the pipeline become available you will need all those tiny vellus hairs because they might eventually be able to change those vellus hairs to terminal hairs. The key requirement for most treatments in the pipeline is that the hair follicles are still alive.

It's going to be a long time until regrowth can happen in places where the hair follicles have died (excluding hair transplant's ofcourse).

Regarding your serious insomnia, you want to fix that ASAP. It can cause a lot of health problems. I've read that Melatonin supplements can help with insomnia . Take 1mg daily. It also helps hairloss.

Reactions: 300

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm taking 20mg of MSM in a capsule that has about 25 other components, so I can't tell for sure if it is the MSM that's working.

However, I have only been taking it for 1.5 months. I will need a lot more time to notice any difference.

I am also using a Caffeine Topical (Alpecin Caffeine Liquid) twice daily, which also contains Niacin. My hair feels healthier so far.

I like Caffeine Topicals because it doesn't inhibit 5AR like Finasteride (I'm sensitive to such 5AR inhibitors) but it prevents DHT from binding to the Hair Follicles. Which actually theoretically is perfect because you don't want to reduce DHT as it's really important in our bodies, we only want to prevent it from binding to the hair follicles.

I'm also taking Korean Red Ginseng root extract for around the same time. Actually really interesting stuff. It apparently down-regulates the sensitivity of the Hair Follicles to DHT and it also prevents the apoptosis (death and destruction) of dermal papilla cells.
It also acts similar to Minoxidil in the way of Nitric Oxide and has a stimulatory effect.

There's some interesting literature and studies on Korean Red Ginseng, if anyone wants to know more, I'll post them.
I’d definitely like to read the studies on ginseng if you can share them.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you link any studies that prove that MSM blocks DHT or 5AR, because I can't seem to find information on that.
I don't mean it blocks dht. I mean it can work better when u block dht with finasteride or dutasteride. It works better on People without androgenetic alopecia.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 months on 5-10 MSM per day, still noticing better hair texture, small signs of regrowth but still really early days. Anti Inflammation from this stuff is incredible, never sore in joints when excersising and skin still looks great. If they called it creatine mark 2 bodybuilding forums would be going insane over this stuff.

Can also vouch for red ginseng. Been taking that on and off for about a year since reading about its ability to protect follicles from DHT. And feel it gives me good energy.

Total regime is MSM, Magnesium (Topical occasionally and mixed with water for every hair wash) small dose saw palmetto and red ginseng most days.

At this stage I'm convinced if I can reduce inflammation enough (MSM) keep DHT reasonably under control (saw palmetto and ginseng) (not reduce DHT completely as I go gym all the time and need my mojo!) decalcify (magnesium supp, and mag chroride/sulphate in bath), and most importantly imo reduce sebum/oil to prevent DHT destroying my hair in first place (scalp massage, avoid oily scalp and over washing with shampoo) I will continue to see much better results in the not to distant future.

So far so good in last few months, and I've been trying almost everything for 20 plus years. My combo is working so far no doubt about it. How much it helps in long run remains to be seen.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 months on 5-10 MSM per day, still noticing better hair texture, small signs of regrowth but still really early days. Anti Inflammation from this stuff is incredible, never sore in joints when excersising and skin still looks great. If they called it creatine mark 2 bodybuilding forums would be going insane over this stuff.

Can also vouch for red ginseng. Been taking that on and off for about a year since reading about its ability to protect follicles from DHT. And feel it gives me good energy.

Total regime is MSM, Magnesium (Topical occasionally and mixed with water for every hair wash) small dose saw palmetto and red ginseng most days.

At this stage I'm convinced if I can reduce inflammation enough (MSM) keep DHT reasonably under control (saw palmetto and ginseng) (not reduce DHT completely as I go gym all the time and need my mojo!) decalcify (magnesium supp, and mag chroride/sulphate in bath), and most importantly imo reduce sebum/oil to prevent DHT destroying my hair in first place (scalp massage, avoid oily scalp and over washing with shampoo) I will continue to see much better results in the not to distant future.

So far so good in last few months, and I've been trying almost everything for 20 plus years. My combo is working so far no doubt about it. How much it helps in long run remains to be seen.
have you noticing an imrovement in fie lines or wrinkles? thanks

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d definitely like to read the studies on ginseng if you can share them.

Korean Red Ginseng powder (root)

Korean red ginseng is a potent herb that can down-regulate your hair follicles’ DHT receptors. This means your follicles will take in less DHT. Additionally, this herb helps reduce skin inflammation, which may be associated with hair loss.

-----------------------------------------------

Korean Red Ginseng:

https://www.beIgraviacentre.com/blog/can-red-ginseng-ethanol-tincture-regrow-hair/

"A 2007 study from Kyungpook National University in Daegu, Korea, found that DKK-1 mRNA is upregulated only 3-6 hours after dihydrotestosterone (DHT) treatment; DKK-1 is then secreted from dermal papilla cells in response to DHT.

This was seen to inhibit the growth of cells in the outer root sheath and trigger cell death. These findings would, therefore, explain the gradual
follicluar miniaturisation process and eventual baldness that occurs in cases of androgenic alopecia.

Researchers from the study concluded that “…DHT-inducible DKK-1 is involved in DHT-driven balding” adding that, to reverse the effects of DHT in the dermal papilla, a DKK-1-neutralising antibody should be used.

A further hair loss study was carried out in 2017 at Dankook Medical College in the Republic of Korea, using panax ginseng extract to inhibit the effects of DKK-1 in the hair follicle. This was successfully achieved on ex vivo human hair organ culture.

Published results show the panax ginseng extract managed to regulate apoptosis-related gene expression in the hair follicle. This essentially means the genes responsible for cell death in the hair follicles were better regulated with the help of the panax ginseng extract, leading to a reduction in the rate of cell death in the follicles.

Although only ex vivo trials were conducted, I believe this has good potential for further research and we may well see it being used in genetic hair loss treatments in the future.

Panax ginseng has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, both of which are important for healthy hair follicles. Several studies over the years have also found it to be helpful in promoting hair growth as it stimulates cell proliferation. Now we also know that it inhibits cell death in outer root sheath keratinocytes in the hair follicle."

Last edited: