MSM supplement showing signs of new growth

keepit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About 3 or more weeks on msm whenever since this thread started??? So far Increased libido ,body hair ,leaner...no regrowth yet, zero shedding,darker hair,hair looks more stronger ,no dandruff...I take a couple of tea spoons in distilled water(don't know how many grams this is) plus spraying on scalp.. could be a double edged sword this regimen increased testosterone while others factors benifet hair and body..dht blocker may be needed

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I took ibuprofen it does not work
Please research this supplement. I have decided to not use more than 3g. I’ll be starting with 1g and working my way up.

A quick read

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sounds like fear-mongering at best imo.. endorses its health benefits, admits it’s safe in high doses (“as safe as pure water”) with studies to back it up then starts listing random odd stuff (most of which quite generic at that) without any evidence. 100% rather some insomnia (so far none btw and i take it before bed) and maybe gain some hair than relative safety with definite loss of hair

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding safe dosage, I'm usually very skeptical with mega dosing anything including multi vitamins etc but going back to the argument 'if this thing worked we would have all known years ago' I have a hunch that anything less than 5 g then yes maybe there would have been reports since msm was very popular on these forums 10-15 years ago, however I dont remember any reports on doses of 5 plus grams. And like I said before IF this does turn out to be genuine full on regrowth from high doses I don't see the RDA being upped by any health regulator anytime soon for obvious financial reasons. Personally I'm 5-15 grams per day, as dont see inconsistency being an issue. Skin hair and general flexibility of joints has been much improved and literally zero inflammation or pain since I started a few weeks ago.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
About 3 or more weeks on msm whenever since this thread started??? So far Increased libido ,body hair ,leaner...no regrowth yet, zero shedding,darker hair,hair looks more stronger ,no dandruff...I take a couple of tea spoons in distilled water(don't know how many grams this is) plus spraying on scalp.. could be a double edged sword this regimen increased testosterone while others factors benifet hair and body..dht blocker may be needed
Maybe add magnesium sulphate/chloride (epsom salts etc) to your bath or spray bottle and take mag supplement. Might help with scalp calcification which imo is one contributing reason behind increased DHT killing our follicles.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Let's also not forget there's a few old stories like the one OtyMac dug up where a person megadosed for a year with results, and literally a few responses ago DyingOfLight said he's been on 5g for 3 years. Nobody died or fell terribly ill

Yeah I think I'll stick to 12g forever, the most consistent reports suggest this is a great maintenance supplement so you have to get on a manageable dose and think of it as that. Worst case it'll be a great maintenance thing that volumizes your hair greatly and strengthens against shedding, best case it might grow some overall density
At this stage after all my research into the benefits to skin hair nails joint inflammation cell protection etc etc along with personal positive effects I've seen myself so far, one part of me wonders why it's not often included in multi vitamins nowadays (although I remember years ago a few did contain it, mainly beauty multi vitamins and joint supplements with glucosamine etc) but another part of me, the conspiracy theorist side, wonders not unfortunately as its so dirt cheap, and maybe had the potential to lose a lot of people a lot of money if it went wide spread.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sounds like fear-mongering at best imo.. endorses its health benefits, admits it’s safe in high doses (“as safe as pure water”) with studies to back it up then starts listing random odd stuff (most of which quite generic at that) without any evidence. 100% rather some insomnia (so far none btw and i take it before bed) and maybe gain some hair than relative safety with definite loss of hair
I don’t think it’s fear mongering at all that’s why I posted it. I would be considered fear mongering if I posted the anecdotal evidence claiming MSM gave terrible sides. I read 50 or so but that’s enough for me. Some even crashed after an initial high feeling. At the end of the day you can’t abuse a substance just because it’s a supplement. I want this stuff to work, too but does anyone here actually know what this is doing to our bodies because it’s far more than hair and nail growth from what I’ve been reading. Most people use MSM in a stack. Apparently it needs to be used this way or there can be serious consequences.
I understand the hope you have riding on this to work but you can’t tell people to push through headaches etc, that’s why I dislike the finasteride threads. Good luck

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s fear mongering at all that’s why I posted it. I would be considered fear mongering if I posted the anecdotal evidence claiming MSM gave terrible sides. I read 50 or so but that’s enough for me. Some even crashed after an initial high feeling. At the end of the day you can’t abuse a substance just because it’s a supplement. I want this stuff to work, too but does anyone here actually know what this is doing to our bodies because it’s far more than hair and nail growth from what I’ve been reading. Most people use MSM in a stack. Apparently it needs to be used this way or there can be serious consequences.
I understand the hope you have riding on this to work but you can’t tell people to push through headaches etc, that’s why I dislike the finasteride threads. Good luck.

Just to be clear - you have read 50 anecdotal studies confirming serious side effects to taking MSM? And if its not stacked it can cause serious side effects? I'm not arguing with you but is this the case? I'd rather see you post them than your opinion on one person that took a high dose and had no hair benefits.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand the hope you have riding on this to work but you can’t tell people to push through headaches etc, that’s why I dislike the finasteride threads. Good luck
never told anyone what to do. in fact ill probs be last to EVER hold side effects against ppl like wtf that’s unfortunate for them and would be wrong af of me. Just wanted to say I personally wasn’t impressed by that writing enough to stop the experiment. And that’s not speaking for others, nor is it telling others to follow. Hell, at this speed they might as well recline and “safely” watch a few of us exhaust it then draw their own conclusions.

edit: tho i will say it’s odd to see such a concern on the same board where untested research chemicals, weekly group buys on week old formulas, and trans meds for hair loss are discussed in the best of faith

Last edited:

nick123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Apologies in advance if that already been asked but:

Is anyone taking MSM and seeing growth/maintance that also is not using topical minoxidil?

I just wanted to rule out that MSM is working with Minoxidil by upregulating sulfotransferase enzyme activitiy.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Is anyone taking MSM and seeing growth/maintance that also is not using topical minoxidil?

I just wanted to rule out that MSM is working with Minoxidil by upregulating sulfotransferase enzyme activitiy.
Never used minoxidil, and although hard to tell if its genuine full regrowth, I have the same or similar initial positive signs as several others with small dark hairs appearing. Also overall texture greatly improved. That's after approx 25 days of 5-10 grams MSM oral and a few topical sprays of 50 percent msm 50 percent water. No minoxidil no dht blocker. Only other notable thing I take is magnesium supplement and magnesium chloride and sulphate Topical (have this mixed with the msm topical)

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

That's a great point and never thought it could do that and it looks like it could. However, the pictures and anecdotes of people who did have response from MSM were just MSM only but the upregulating SULT 1A1 would just be a great bonus too. Dr. Stanley Jacobs kept most of his hair and jet black until 90 years old when he died and doubtful he was using minoxidil.

If you have regrown a few sprigs of hair with topical minoxidil(typical response) you already have the SULT 1A1 enzyme present and oral supplementation we can say if it increases hair with minoxidil ISN'T working that way.

But the study appears to say MSM can upregulate the sulfontransferase enzymes altho SULT 1A1 wasn't mentioned specifically.
""Posttranslational sulfation of proteins [24] provides an alternative mechanism for the gradual increase of 35S that was accumulated in tissue proteins. Synthesis of 3′-phosphoadenosine 5′-phosphosulfate (PAPS), the sulfonate donor for the numerous sulfotransferases involved in posttranslational sulfation and other sulfation reactions [10] requires inorganic sulfate [25].

The principal source of sulfate is considered to be cysteine, which is converted from methionine via the transulfuration pathway. Oxidation of cysteine releasing the inorganic sulfate for PAPS synthesis. However, free inorganic sulfate can also be used for sulfation of acetaminophen to reduce toxicity [26], for sulfation of mucin secreted by the intestine [27] and is incorporated into various tissues [28].

Despite a lack of designed studies, there is evidence MSM serves as a source of sulfate for synthesis of PAPS required for sulfation. Specifically, MSM contributes to the sulfation and detoxification of acetaminophen [29] and the sulfation of cartilage proteoglycans [30].

Moreover, MSM may substitute for and thereby spare cysteine and methionine as sulfate donors. [31], oxidative stress caused by acute exercise Administration of MSM reduces the depletion of glutathione caused by exposure to toxins subject to sulfation for elimination[32,33]

nd experimental colitis [34]. Another consideration is MSM is a safer source of sulfate when sulfur intake may be limiting compared with the sulfur amino acids, which are toxic at high levels of intake (upper safe limit of 21 mg/kg).""

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Never used minoxidil, and although hard to tell if its genuine full regrowth, I have the same or similar initial positive signs as several others with small dark hairs appearing. Also overall texture greatly improved. That's after approx 25 days of 5-10 grams MSM oral and a few topical sprays of 50 percent msm 50 percent water. No minoxidil no dht blocker. Only other notable thing I take is magnesium supplement and magnesium chloride and sulphate Topical (have this mixed with the msm topical)

If you are using MSM topically then do yourself a favor and spray the sides of your scalp where the superior temporal artery passes by. That is what the one guy who was only using MSM did and results were not shown until he did that.

MSM is a vasodilator and that is why I think some get migraines or bad headaches like I did(initially). My ears would turn red also but I also take niacin but niacin would not do that after awhile because the niacin "flush" subsides after taking niacin over time.

I am also thinking LLLT applied to the sides of the scalp would be better than just the top of the scalp treatments.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's an interesting comment from reddit regarding MSM

this supplement is known for having some nasty sides. i would approach with caution, it's not as safe as you think it is
This is kind of a stupid point. from the research I just did, it seems yea, MSM does free up mercury in the body, as does NAC, but it is eliminated through your stool. If anything, this makes me wanna take it more. MSM is listed as a supp to take on every “mercury detox” site

vandun3

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is kind of a stupid point. from the research I just did, it seems yea, MSM does free up mercury in the body, as does NAC, but it is eliminated through your stool. If anything, this makes me wanna take it more. MSM is listed as a supp to take on every “mercury detox” site
i'm glad your 5 minute research endeavor cleared up all the confusion

if you know anything about heavy metal chelation(which you clearly don't), you would know that it can really cause some damage when done improperly

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i'm glad your 5 minute research endeavor cleared up all the confusion

if you know anything about heavy metal chelation(which you clearly don't), you would know that it can really cause some damage when done improperly
Lol fair. I will do more research.