Minoxidil side effects (wrinkles, dark circles) and alternative

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dangerous comment. Very concerning coming from a moderator. Maybe reevaluate your position. Remember when Thalidomide was 'scientifically' safe?

When it comes to anything being 'scientifically' safe, any measures could change with further research. There are many synthetic medications with unnoticed side effects, where even some could be life threatening. That's when those treatments are revoked. Looking back now, collagen helps slow aging at healthy levels, and lack of it may further excel aging. Minoxidil does after all, inhibit collagen production.

I make that comment back at a time where I was new to the forum and had not been part of the community for a whole month yet. I was more opinionated and less educated back then, and have become more of a reserved person with time.

I have never known what Thalidomide is and I researched it. The side effects are so disturbing and have a high chance of causing side effects, and specifically harmed many pregnant women and their children.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I swear by minoxidil, I use it twice a day, and I think it is the best thing out there to regrow hair, but yes: it does age the skin and causes dark circles on some people. Aging skin and dark circles also disappear weeks after use for me. But I haven't stopped it because then my hair falls out. I rather look tired and older than hairless.

I don't know why people are so naive when it comes to side effects that happen to others just because it doesn't happen to them.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on topical minoxidil for 10 years, I'm 32yo and I look like I'm 20-22. My skin is soft with no hair or wrinkles or black circles.
And I'm not an asian ...
On oral minoxidil for almost 9 months ... no change ... except big regrowths and tachycardia.

I dont believe in bad effects on skin because of minoxidil. Just some people aging faster...

I've been on finasteride for 1 year, i'm 28 and look 19. My penis has no issues getting hard at all.

I don't believe in bad effects on libido because of finasteride. Just some people becoming impotent due to their own age.

See what I did there?

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well yes, I've been using this for three months and I have horrible dark circles, I'm getting enough sleep and a bit stressed but the dark circles look like if I haven't slept in days, no wrinkles also but I feel my face looks dull and lifeless, maybe it's just the stress not the minoxidil, looking at the results it gives me I would just use products to conceal the dark circles and continue with minoxidil

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a TON of minoxidil. As far as wrinkles... I'm good. But I do have some problems with my eye bags/dark circles. However.... how do we know it's minoxidil. I'm 21 and my friends with full heads of hair (no minoxidil) have these same issues. I remember the 2nd day I used minoxidil I thought it was destroying my skin. How could that be? Paranoia?

I think we just become hypervigilent and notice what's always been there. For instance, I looked at pics of me at 18, before minoxidil. Guess what? My eye bags were there. I think it MAY do something. But... wouldn't that have been reported in the hundreds of minoxidil studies?

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was younger, using minoxidil I was overdosing on it. 2 ML in front, I was growing what looked like senile spots on the location where I was applying minoxidil, at age 20. I didn't know what this was from, at 20 I looked like a child who even at the post office or dentist they warned me "We can't attend you if you're under 18, unless you bring a parent". So the only thing I was putting on my head was minoxidil, I googled aging skin and minoxidil and found that other people suffer from this too, and some people don't, and those who don't, vehemently deny that such thing actually happens, which I find amusing but that's a different topic. Well, I stopped minoxidil altogether, within weeks my skin went back to normal. This wasn't proof enough for me, I overdosed on minoxidil again, within a couple of weeks the senile spots came back. I dropped minoxidil use to 1ML on crown, 1ML in front, the senile spots went away within weeks. The spots could only be seen with camera flash, which is when I discovered them, while taking pics to track my progress.

Dark circles is clearly a thing, I won't even get into that because I notice most people agree that minoxidil manipulates how their bags look like. Yes, it happened to me too.

Wrinkles, I haven't suffered from this. Aging of the skin, absolutely, but not anymore because I don't overdose.

Jason Canning

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am another user who experienced skin changes with minoxidil. I'm someone who is not scared of much, I would gladly get in a fight with someone stronger than me etc but Fred creeps me out. I have never encountered that level of arrogance in my life and believe me I know a lot of arrogant people. When I used minoxidil for the first time when I was 18 a girl I knew said I looked terrible and I needed sleep. I agree that for 99% of users they will not get this side effect but it does exist.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am another user who experienced skin changes with minoxidil. I'm someone who is not scared of much, I would gladly get in a fight with someone stronger than me etc but Fred creeps me out. I have never encountered that level of arrogance in my life and believe me I know a lot of arrogant people. When I used minoxidil for the first time when I was 18 a girl I knew said I looked terrible and I needed sleep. I agree that for 99% of users they will not get this side effect but it does exist.

It doesn't exist because it wasn't observed in the minoxidil study though.

This is how science works, science is never wrong.

Even back when mentally ill people had holes drilled into them to remove the "demons" out of their head and cure them, science was still right. There was scientific evidence, at the time, that drilling holes in someone's head calms them down.

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Even back when mentally ill people had holes drilled into them to remove the "demons" out of their head and cure them, science was still right. There was scientific evidence, at the time, that drilling holes in someone's head calms them down.

DUDE xD

Jason Canning

My Regimen
Reaction score

Just because the side effect was not reported before the product came to market does not mean that it doesn't exist. It's laughable how you equate a scientific study with 'science.' Science may not be wrong but the way we interpret it can of course be wrong you simpleton. In the late 50s and 60s they gave thalidomide to mothers thinking it was a safe drug. So I guess by your logic this is how science works and it is never wrong right? Well those mother's babies had severe deformities because two chiral forms (identical drugs but mirror images of each other) existed and they gave one of these chiral forms instead of the other. I bet you didn't even bother reading the person who started this thread's 'science.;

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just because the side effect was not reported before the product came to market does not mean that it doesn't exist. It's laughable how you equate a scientific study with 'science.' Science may not be wrong but the way we interpret it can of course be wrong you simpleton. In the late 50s and 60s they gave thalidomide to mothers thinking it was a safe drug. So I guess by your logic this is how science works and it is never wrong right? Well those mother's babies had severe deformities because two chiral forms (identical drugs but mirror images of each other) existed and they gave one of these chiral forms instead of the other. I bet you didn't even bother reading the person who started this thread's 'science.;

You disliked my sarcastic post to argue what i've been arguing in the previous page? This is a new low for hair loss talk members.
I mean all you really had to do was look at my argument in the previous page and see where I stand with minoxidil side effects.

The part about Trephination (holes in skull) was obviously a joke to point out how stupid humans can be even if they are using "science".

Bensson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also fighting the horrible side effects from Minoxidil on the skin in my face , especially deep forehead wrinkles and dark circles and bags under eyes.

My investigation has lead me to following tretaments to recover

PRP injections for wrinkles and dark circles to improve collagen

You can also do PRP at home with buying a centrifuge on ebay/amazon and use derminator instead of injections

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/prp-at-home.97946/

Derminator to improve collagen and smoothen out deep wrinkles (can also be used for hairloss)

http://www.derminator.com/

You could also use dermarollers or dermastamp which is cheaper

Hyaluronic acid and c vitamin after dermarolling to fill out the skin

http://dermarollerinfo.com/10-tips-amazing-derma-roller-results/

You can also try Restylane and other fillers for wrinkles and bags under eyes

I have not tried collagen supplements but some people have had succes with this

https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/collagen-supplement-explainer/slide/6

BaldyBalderBald

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also fighting the horrible side effects from Minoxidil on the skin in my face , especially deep forehead wrinkles and dark circles and bags under eyes.

My investigation has lead me to following tretaments to recover

PRP injections for wrinkles and dark circles to improve collagen

You can also do PRP at home with buying a centrifuge on ebay/amazon and use derminator instead of injections

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/prp-at-home.97946/

Derminator to improve collagen and smoothen out deep wrinkles (can also be used for hairloss)

http://www.derminator.com/

You could also use dermarollers or dermastamp which is cheaper

Hyaluronic acid and c vitamin after dermarolling to fill out the skin

http://dermarollerinfo.com/10-tips-amazing-derma-roller-results/

You can also try Restylane and other fillers for wrinkles and bags under eyes

I have not tried collagen supplements but some people have had succes with this

https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/collagen-supplement-explainer/slide/6

Man you're 45, don't you think this is the aging process that wreck your face ?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I explained how and why these side effects develop here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ol-will-make-your-face-look-like-sh*t.109593/

Best solution - get off the minoxidil. But you'll have to be creative if you want regrowth or maintenance without it.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I explained how and why these side effects develop here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...ol-will-make-your-face-look-like-sh*t.109593/

Best solution - get off the minoxidil. But you'll have to be creative if you want regrowth or maintenance without it.

Have you tried applying it topically, or only the pills?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Both but that's irrelevant to this discussion. Topically is associated with 2.4-5.4 mg systemic absorption a day as already discussed.

I think you're confused. You think you're writing a science textbook based on your theories when actually you're posting on a message board on which people post freely and converse with one another. "I explained how and why", "As already discussed", "that's irrelevant" ... no need to be so rude to people conversing with you. Some people react well to the pills, the topical, neither, or both, using less, or more. You're having trouble and it was a fair question meant to help you. Take a chill pill everyone is here to converse, not everyone reads everything you post, and people are free to disagree or debate. It's all good.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you're confused. You think you're writing a science textbook based on your theories when actually you're posting on a message board on which people post freely and converse with one another. "I explained how and why", "As already discussed", "that's irrelevant" ... no need to be so rude to people conversing with you. Some people react well to the pills, the topical, neither, or both, using less, or more. You're having trouble and it was a fair question meant to help you. Take a chill pill everyone is here to converse, not everyone reads everything you post, and people are free to disagree or debate. It's all good.

I wasn't intending for anything to be rude. I only say things like "as discussed previously" because I don't want to feel like a broken record.

We had a long back and forth about this subject already.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wasn't intending for anything to be rude. I only say things like "as discussed previously" because I don't want to feel like a broken record.

We had a long back and forth about this subject already.

I dont remember you ever telling me that you've tried topical. So it was a fine question. Perhaps "Topically is associated with 2.4-5.4 mg systemic absorption a day as already discussed.", but it doesnt mean that its necessarily the same thing, causing the same supposed aging etc.

ciberxtrem

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi from Spain, I want to just comment my little experience with Minoixidil as it has been affected by what I read here and I'm grateful for it ;).
Last week it was my first month with Minoxidil and Finasteride, and I noticed something in my face but I didn't really knew what it was, but as I have a very youthful face and my skin is very sensitive I take a lot of care of it, so the first thing I did was to check on internet if minoxidil can make you look older, and I found this thread and some others.

At first I didn't want to believe that Minoxidil could afect the face with some wrinkles and make the skin look worse, but I checked my face and I noticed some subtles wrinkles under my eyes and the skin around my eyes also looked like a bit dehydrated than usual but I wasn't sure whether that was placebo or it was real.

I stopped using minoxidil just one week ago and now the wrinkles are gone and my skin looks normal. So it is real and it seems that after stopping using minoxidil it gets fixed hopefully.

In fact, in my case it is not so necessary to use Minoxifil as I will have a hair transplant in one year so I will stick with Finasteride which seems to have no side effects on me and is really key to maintain what we still have :).

Last edited: