Minoxidil side effects (wrinkles, dark circles) and alternative

Psuedo

Banned
Reaction score
A classic thread lol. I really did get a good laugh. On the off chance Fred, benjt, etc, are still checking the progress of this useless thread I'm going to try and offer some reason.

Fred:

you lean quite firmly on the need for clinical trial observation and scientific reporting. I think it's misguided to suggest anything that has gone unreported or observed during a trial dismisses the possibility of existence. Having said that, it is highly unlikely that if it caused such swift and severe side effects, that nobody would have noticed. Something minute may fall under the radar and of course there are always outliers, but years of facials aging within weeks, I agree with you, is a simple confusion with causation and causality and entirely psychosomatic. You'd however engage far to much in your own bias to create a natural discourse in conversation. When one person leans to far on their own side it creates an equal and opposite reaction for others to lean further then needed to their side. Just food for thought.

Benjt:

Seem like a pretty bright guy and a bit of a Coke head lol. Homie you typed small essays at the beginning in what seemed to be an attempt to solve male pattern baldness in one thread. I think you had some excellent trains of thought, but to Fred's point, you should recognize you're most likely an outlier if your side effects are as bad as you say, and thus avoid turning people who will most likely not respond that way. There's a medically recognized condition for reading about an illness on webmd then manifesting symptoms. People are impressionable and the power of suggestions exists. Also as far as pictures go, the hair loss community reads about a new treatment, side effect, result, etc everyday. Hair loss is the one place in life where a picture is really worth a 1000 words. Fred goes to far in saying you didn't get side effects sure, but you lean to far in suggesting they are statistically relevant.

My conclusion:

I've been in Minoxidil for roughly 4 years. My face has not been effected in the least bit. I use liquid and a Co enzyme to aid penetration. I have been using the foam in conjunction now and have not experienced these side effects. In my opinion not enough minoxidil would get into the blood stream in the first place, and then to have a wide spread effect on tissue outside of the application region would seem unlikely. We're this the case, one could believe you only need to apply minoxidil on a small region of the scalp to see benefits across the entire scalp. The issue with starting new people off on a half glass empty perspective is they may lose there ability to ever see it the other way. If these side effects exist, they should be discovered by the individual and handled at that level. Only once a claim is substantiated by a mass number of claims should it become a publicly shared phenomenon, i.e. Fina updating the side effects to include sexual SE's. And no a bunch of people that can make a username on a forum does not count. All you need is an email and an excuse as to why you won't post pics and then we can't draw the line between real and imaginary. If you're concerned, have a doctor monitor your use. Get a monthly check up and let him know your concerns. This will give you validation and fresh perspective.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Would you recommend it for someone who's lost hair over the last 10 years, And now thin front and back? Has it grown any hair for you or just maintained since your hair transplant?

For people with sides from dark circles and wrinkles, are you using it front of head/hairline, or even when only on crown you're getting those sides?

be interested in reply to this, if anyone can

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil has saved my hair so far, i'm a fan and I recommend it. But I will say I agree with the dark circles and the way it ages the skin. I am an on and off minoxidil user. I notice after getting off it, after a couple of months the dark circles go away and the aged skin goes back to normal. This is something I found out even before finding out that other people were experiencing it, so i'm not just following the crowed here. These are real side effects, but I overdose, I use 2ml instead of 1ml, and I do it twice a day so that's 4ml. Maybe if you use the recommended dosage it won't do that. Also I have a young looking face, like people think i'm a teenager. I'm 27 but get 18-19 as guesses, people are generally in shock when I tell them my age, i'm so used to that now, it's normal. So i'm not old looking at all. Minoxidil gives me some really mean dark circles and I do not have lack of sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

My conclusion:

I've been in Minoxidil for roughly 4 years. My face has not been effected in the least bit. I use liquid and a Co enzyme to aid penetration. I have been using the foam in conjunction now and have not experienced these side effects. In my opinion not enough minoxidil would get into the blood stream in the first place, and then to have a wide spread effect on tissue outside of the application region would seem unlikely. We're this the case, one could believe you only need to apply minoxidil on a small region of the scalp to see benefits across the entire scalp. The issue with starting new people off on a half glass empty perspective is they may lose there ability to ever see it the other way. If these side effects exist, they should be discovered by the individual and handled at that level. Only once a claim is substantiated by a mass number of claims should it become a publicly shared phenomenon, i.e. Fina updating the side effects to include sexual SE's. And no a bunch of people that can make a username on a forum does not count. All you need is an email and an excuse as to why you won't post pics and then we can't draw the line between real and imaginary. If you're concerned, have a doctor monitor your use. Get a monthly check up and let him know your concerns. This will give you validation and fresh perspective.

That's great for you, but speaking of classics a "classic" mistake people do is disregard a side effect because it never happened to them. Therefore it doesn't exist or the people who experience it are crazy, tin-foil hat wearing, Illuminati-believing, dedicated to finding UFO's and aliens and taking down the government.

It's like me not getting side effects from finasteride(loss of libido), and reject those who do get it as crazy. I wouldn't do that because that's lack of an understanding of biology 101. Your body is different from mine, side effects I get affected by, you may not experience, and vice versa.

Gambino

Reaction score
I have to ask all of you that have gotten dark circles do you happen to go to sleep after you put on minor? I got dark circles from it too and some fine lines but i figured that it might have been from The minoxidil rubbing off on the pillow and in that way gets in your face so I started to sleep with a plastic bag over my head. Too early to say If its doing any difference lol.

Anyhow i KNOW that i am super sensitive to any kind of medication. I just ordered some retinol cream (not retinol a The strong one)
And my face got all red just from using it for 3 days. I get dark circles and wrinkles from minoxidil and its because of the reason i just stated

Psuedo

Banned
Reaction score
Minoxidil has saved my hair so far, i'm a fan and I recommend it. But I will say I agree with the dark circles and the way it ages the skin. I am an on and off minoxidil user. I notice after getting off it, after a couple of months the dark circles go away and the aged skin goes back to normal. This is something I found out even before finding out that other people were experiencing it, so i'm not just following the crowed here. These are real side effects, but I overdose, I use 2ml instead of 1ml, and I do it twice a day so that's 4ml. Maybe if you use the recommended dosage it won't do that. Also I have a young looking face, like people think i'm a teenager. I'm 27 but get 18-19 as guesses, people are generally in shock when I tell them my age, i'm so used to that now, it's normal. So i'm not old looking at all. Minoxidil gives me some really mean dark circles and I do not have lack of sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

That's great for you, but speaking of classics a "classic" mistake people do is disregard a side effect because it never happened to them. Therefore it doesn't exist or the people who experience it are crazy, tin-foil hat wearing, Illuminati-believing, dedicated to finding UFO's and aliens and taking down the government.

It's like me not getting side effects from finasteride(loss of libido), and reject those who do get it as crazy. I wouldn't do that because that's lack of an understanding of biology 101. Your body is different from mine, side effects I get affected by, you may not experience, and vice versa.

You don't read all that well do you? Further more you have a real bad bias when reading something.

I could not have been more clear in stating that I've not been affected, but if people are and I quote myself, "they should be discovered by themselves." My entire posts points out that most people would have no idea side effects existed without reading about said side effects. Psychosomatic illness at its finest.

Again I never suggested side affects don't exist, just that if you look at data across every industry in medicine, the rate of experienced side effects is exponentially higher when the patient is expecting them. This is the very common and popular placebo affect.

Read what people write before responding just to get your 2 cents in.

megatron1234

Reaction score
I started using minoxidil about a month and a half ago. I was easily applying 3ml two times daily, which is way more then I needed,and some co-workers where telling me that I had dark circles under my eyes.. I also was waking up with huge headaches and brain fog. However I have reduced my dosage to around 1.5ml twice daily and the sides have vanished. I can come to the conclusion that abusing of the product will exponentially increase the chances of someone getting side effects.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree, minoxidil works on hair but makes me look like an Aids victim. Has anyone tried Adenosine?

edwin434

My Regimen
Reaction score
I appear to be possibly dealing with wrinkles and bags under eyes too. I've been on finasteride for 4 months and have had no side effects. I'm not the worry wart type, if I was over paranoid about side effects I feel like the finasteride would have effected me. I'm on day 4 of minoxidil and today when I looked in mirror and smiled I seem to have more wrinkles around my eyes. I wasn't looking for wrinkles and it wasn't even on my mind, just something I noticed while brushing my teeth. I'm a little concerned but not going to stop yet. I plan to go from 5% to 2% and use lotion. I'm also going to take a picture now and compare it in a month or so to keep a record. I'll keep everyone posted with my personal findings. So I don't have permanent wrinkles but it seems like my skin folds easier to where it will lead to permanent wrinkles. Update: After studying my old photos it looks like I may have had the same wrinkles I'm concerned about and haven't gotten great sleep in last few days so i'm definitely not in a position to say anything is a sure thing at this point.

Last edited:

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey folfo, you use liquid minoxidil or foam? no hypertrichosis with oral minoxidil ?
be safe bro .

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
sure i used bailleul before . way more convinient , dry fast and not oily , but i always thought that alopexy was more powerful because of more propylene glycol in it ?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im using minoxidil for 6 weeks..Im having some positive effects already

Im 45 and see no signs of 'aging'.

I will keep a look out for this in a realistic manner since i am 45.

I asked my Dr about this he said he thinks sometimes people either 1. have a bad reaction or 2. using too much.

Im using the amount instructed on the box for women 5% 1/2 cap once a day.

I do sometimes feel like my skin is 'dry' which can just be its fall/winter and coincidental from when i started the minoxidil...I use a little extra hydrating serum and I'm fine.

I do use retinol at night and vitamin C serum in day and now added a antioxidant 'oil' at night and a moisturizing serum in day i am not even sure whats in it. Summer I just used the retinol and vitamin C.

Im also going to start drinking some home made smoothies for good skin that have some coconut water and flax seed oil avocado spinach mango and pineapple..

My suggestion is if your using minoxidil and feel like its 'drying' skin which can make skin appear more wrinkled take some extra steps to make skin hydrated.

If your having a full on aging reaction then perhaps stop---but i think if its happening to be highly rare.

But medications in general can be 'aging' or hard on skin..so it's not impossible.

redcoral

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought i was the only one who experienced this wrinkles at the bottom of my eyes! I had the same problem i noticed a lot of wrinkles below my eyes i was on 9 month of minoxidil when i stop it! Yes minoxidil really work but the side effect makes me depressed. Any update benjt? Sorry about my english.

Frofferdawg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks benjt for the discussion, found this forum/thread researching minoxidil after finally starting to not look like a total crackhead from it. Took about 9 months for the horribly sunken/dark eyes and 50yo forehead to go away. Definitely worked for hair regrowth - I got nearly everything back but ffs would rather not look like a junkie and be missing some hair.
If you're still around chime in, I've got some theories to share but totally understand if you've given up on the thread due to the absolute c*m dribble that is hanging around. You know who you are, go uppercut yourselves

Pacey123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stop the sunbathing and if you want to use some protection if you don't want wrinkles, just as easy as it gets.

Dazz_nz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree it does have side effects that can make you look slightly older - I started 5% about 6 weeks ago. Started at once per day, was fine appart from skin peeling the first week (obviously skin adjusting as it went away). But after stepping up to twice a day I ended up with large bags under my eyes, it looked like I hadnt slept in weeks. I carried on with twice a day and ended up with what looked like big bruises on my upper eyelids just below the eyebrows, very noticeable It looked like I had 2 half black eyes. After going back to once a day both side effects dissappeared. Everyone will react differently but sometimes it might just be due to using too much maybe - well in my case it was anyway.