minoxidil Severe Itching After 4 Years Usage, Causing Hair Loss.

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your skin can't tolerate topical minoxidil then try oral, start a small dose and work your way up.
For now I'd rather keep my overall drug intake down, i'm already on finasteride, prozac, dupilumab and a bunch of topical atopic dermatitis topical steroids/immunosupressants.

Will wait until after the transplant to see if it's worth it.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
So in the pics with longer hair the minoxidil was working well?
Did you get a huge layer of white flakes with minoxidil?

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
So in the pics with longer hair the minoxidil was working well?
Did you get a huge layer of white flakes with minoxidil?
Minoxidil was working amazing yeah, for 4 years. Got a great beard from it too.
The flakes were a problem but the itching was worse, derm said that I had itched it so badly it had caused hair loss through the process of inflammation itself.

Here's another pic when it was still working and not itching
db6814f905182561ba7cc0f0f5a0fbcd.png

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because me after 4 years of minoxidil Ihave a huge layer offlakes which doesnt disappear, and i am afraid it cause huge shed. You wash your hair daily?
no hypertrichosis/ puffy eyelid or dark circle wrinkle from minoxidil?
Your hair look great and i you will recover man

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because me after 4 years of minoxidil Ihave a huge layer offlakes which doesnt disappear, and i am afraid it cause huge shed. You wash your hair daily?
no hypertrichosis/ puffy eyelid or dark circle wrinkle from minoxidil?
Your hair look great and i you will recover man

It was the massive non stop itching and inflammation/damage that caused the hairfall.
Flaking won't cause hair loss in itself, look up cases of scalp psoriasis, more often than not the subject has a full head of hair despite the flaking/lichenification/plaque buildup.

As for the eye/face symptoms, it's hard to tell because I am super pale and i've always looked tired. No marked difference really.

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just posting an update, pretty happy with the progress after quitting minoxidil, finally seemed like it bounced back. The crown is only really noticable because my light is super bright. Took the better part of a year to improve though, still doing finasteride but stepped down to EOD with it.

I'd say it's 20% better than before I started finasteride + minoxidil, but nowhere near as dense and thick as it was when I was taking both at the same time.

I don't think a transplant at this point will net me any significant gains and I prefer the density + beard I had with minoxidil so i'm being greedy and starting oral minoxidil 2.5mg when I can find a place that will ship. Will keep this thread posted once I start it if I make any more gains and don't get sides bad enough to stop.

Attachments

• 45674567457457457456745674567456.jpg
    45674567457457457456745674567456.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 275

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just posting an update, pretty happy with the progress after quitting minoxidil, finally seemed like it bounced back. The crown is only really noticable because my light is super bright. Took the better part of a year to improve though, still doing finasteride but stepped down to EOD with it.

I'd say it's 20% better than before I started finasteride + minoxidil, but nowhere near as dense and thick as it was when I was taking both at the same time.

I don't think a transplant at this point will net me any significant gains and I prefer the density + beard I had with minoxidil so i'm being greedy and starting oral minoxidil 2.5mg when I can find a place that will ship. Will keep this thread posted once I start it if I make any more gains and don't get sides bad enough to stop.
So you actually had some regrowth after that minoxidil inflammation/stoppage shed.Thats pretty interesting.I actually had the exact same issue,shedding was horrible.My scalp would itch so bad that I had to wash my head 4 times a day with cold water,plus it would cause ''scalp wrinkles'' that look absolutely disgusting.There is no way I could remove those flakes from scalp.Im scared of the shed caused by stopping minoxidil(I dropped both oral and topical 25 days ago) but there is no way I can apply that stuff on my scalp anymore.Oral also causes some weird cycles on my donor area so I also had to drop it.
Keep reporting in if you get more regrowth.

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm in a similar situation. Also had severe allergic reaction to minoxidil after a couple of years of use. I quit many years ago now, using only finasteride in the meantime, and my hair also bounced back after the resulting shed; never became as full as it was peak minoxidil but my hair is still good.

I've just started oral minoxidil at the low dose of 1.25mg (5mg split into 4). Hoping I don't have a bad reaction to oral. Feeling pretty greedy to be honest. Any signs of sides I'll probably quit - we need new growth stimulants!

Good luck with the oral min. Be interested to see how it works for you!

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you actually had some regrowth after that minoxidil inflammation/stoppage shed.Thats pretty interesting.I actually had the exact same issue,shedding was horrible.My scalp would itch so bad that I had to wash my head 4 times a day with cold water,plus it would cause ''scalp wrinkles'' that look absolutely disgusting.There is no way I could remove those flakes from scalp.Im scared of the shed caused by stopping minoxidil(I dropped both oral and topical 25 days ago) but there is no way I can apply that stuff on my scalp anymore.Oral also causes some weird cycles on my donor area so I also had to drop it.
Keep reporting in if you get more regrowth.

Yep 100% you can see from the pics that for sure the density in the mid scalp bounced back, I think I was in denial for the longest time that it was a topical minoxidil allergy and I tried pretty much every formulation on sale to avoid quitting it.
I guarantee if it's causing serious inflammation that your scalp recovering will net you some gains, problem is that for me it did take up to making this post from quitting last september to now to see any improvement. Definitely was a shed too.

I'm in a similar situation. Also had severe allergic reaction to minoxidil after a couple of years of use. I quit many years ago now, using only finasteride in the meantime, and my hair also bounced back after the resulting shed; never became as full as it was peak minoxidil but my hair is still good.

I've just started oral minoxidil at the low dose of 1.25mg (5mg split into 4). Hoping I don't have a bad reaction to oral. Feeling pretty greedy to be honest. Any signs of sides I'll probably quit - we need new growth stimulants!

Will do, I can't find anywhere that ships it atm but the moment global shipping gets back into swing I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No offense but I really have to disagree that plaque buildup doesn’t cause hair loss. For example, when you read up on scarring alopecia there is almost always signs of perifollicular scale (scale wrapped around hair follicle/strands). That scale causes oxidative damage to the healthy cells of the skin and cells that make hair grow. I believe DHT also suffocates the hair follicle. Anyway, to the people on this thread saying scale is a problem for them, I have found that bakers p and s liquid works great at removing scale and buildup. It works really fast too I couldn’t believe it. The stuff is kinda annoying to use though because it’s greasy.

@Meeasuma
Have you ever heard of soothems? They have hats that people can use for wet wrap therapy to treat moderate to severe eczema. I was thinking about buying one to give it a shot. I guess it has zinc oxide infused with it.

your hair does look better

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
No offense but I really have to disagree that plaque buildup doesn’t cause hair loss. For example, when you read up on scarring alopecia there is almost always signs of perifollicular scale (scale wrapped around hair follicle/strands). That scale causes oxidative damage to the healthy cells of the skin and cells that make hair grow. I believe DHT also suffocates the hair follicle. Anyway, to the people on this thread saying scale is a problem for them, I have found that bakers p and s liquid works great at removing scale and buildup. It works really fast too I couldn’t believe it. The stuff is kinda annoying to use though because it’s greasy.

@Meeasuma
Have you ever heard of soothems? They have hats that people can use for wet wrap therapy to treat moderate to severe eczema. I was thinking about buying one to give it a shot. I guess it has zinc oxide infused with it.

your hair does look better

Stopping the minoxidil and getting dupilumab injections sorted out the eczema. Wasn't saying the scaling caused hair loss, but repeated trauma from itching definitely can, with it mostly being temporary.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Aren’t those injections of dupilumab expensive? If you don’t feel like saying the price maybe you could convo me and let me know roughly what you paid. I had some steroid injections done and that came to like 400. I am just curious because I still have mild to moderate redness on the back of my scalp that won’t let up.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
hey Op , i am getting the same symptom as you, huge redness and itching after 5 years of minoxidil use, and this is causing me diffuse thinning. Yu didn't get a huge shedding by stopping cold tyrkey? you took oral min to alleviate this?

Kaue carrera

My Regimen
Reaction score

how is your journey with 1.25 mg of oral minoxidil?

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
how is your journey with 1.25 mg of oral minoxidil?

So far so good. Had a few days where I thought my heart rate was elevated and I felt like my chest was slightly uncomfortable. I think this was anxiety caused by taking a new medication though. Got a little paranoid. My heart rate is now back to how it was pre oral minoxidil, no other side effects have appeared. Still keeping the dose low at 1.25mg.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
So far so good. Had a few days where I thought my heart rate was elevated and I felt like my chest was slightly uncomfortable. I think this was anxiety caused by taking a new medication though. Got a little paranoid. My heart rate is now back to how it was pre oral minoxidil, no other side effects have appeared. Still keeping the dose low at 1.25mg.

do we need to take a diuretic with this dosage? no dark circle / water retention / puffy upper eyelid / unwanted boy hair? thx

XSuburbiaX

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was having big itching with minoxidil until I treat my scalp:

- Nizoral or Zinc pyrithine shampoo for a week or two, every days. Now use a Keto lotin 2% only once every two weeks now.
- After this I used every other day a Biotin shampoo which strangely help so much with the sheeding and maintain a correct health scalp.
- Every sunday I use in the shower an exfoliating/massaging brush which remove all the build up.
- I also add a filter on my shower to kill the limestone.