minoxidil Severe Itching After 4 Years Usage, Causing Hair Loss.

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there, I thought i'd go over my story and maybe my experience may be useful to someone in the future, or someone might be able to shed some light on what i'm going through now.

I started liquid minoxidil 4 years ago, I didn't see any significant results after a year but figured i'd stay on it and started finasteride too. I was very happy with the results after incorporating Finasteride and for about 2 years, I didn't even think about hair loss, I was over it.
I've always had atopic dermatitis but never on my scalp. Some time last year my scalp became incredibly itchy. My dermatologist immediately prescribed me topical steroids to treat it, I continued the minoxidil alongside it but after discontinuing the steroids, the itch persisted. I tried using the minoxidil foam, unfortunately I had the same result, in fact it felt even more dry and odd. I tried to get my dermatologist to help me patch test the minoxidil but to no avail, the NHS doesn't offer patch testing for cosmetic treatments. The itch always set in around 2-3 hours after applying it, and i've itched so much i've caused temporary hair loss in the area minoxidil was applied, far worse than before I started any hair loss treatment.
I had a huge shed and had to cut my previously long hair, it's thinner than it ever was before treatment at the moment, pics included. The thinner ones being after minoxidil started to irritate my scalp.

I can't bring myself to stop using it because I feel like if I can't get it to work again without itching, my hair will never be as awesome as it was before, when I was able to tolerate it.

I've ordered some lipogaine sensitive, in the hopes that it was just the alchol in the foam, and the PG in the liquid causing me to itch. I will try it for a month, and if it's still this bad i'll just have to stop the minoxidil altogether.

If I am actually allergic to the minoxidil itself I have enough money to cover a hair transplant, but I just feel absolutely awful about having to stop using it. I don't understand how after so many years of using it with no issue, it could just cause such extreme itching like this.

Has anyone else experienced this?
What was the loss like after you stopped and stayed on finasteride?
How can I be sure it's the minoxidil causing this itching?

My hair now, after itching so much I caused a huge shed in the application areas, way worse than it ever was before minoxidil/finasteride :

768546795797859.png

My hair before, after 4 years on minoxidil and finasteride with no issues, I was very satisfied with my results/maintainence, even had some lucky temple regrowth :
675647845674567456.jpg

These 2 pictures were taken 8 months apart, one day I just woke up and wanted to itch my skull out.

My scalp has been checked by a dermatologist, and it was just called dermatitis, not seborerric or ringworm or any other condition, he stated that the current loss was temporary due to physical trauma. It's likely irritant dermatitis, as i've hammered it with so much steroid ointment before that it totally cleared, only to return like a week later after stopping. Coal tar shampoo sometimes helps, but other than that Nizoral and other seb related treatments only end up making it more dry/flaky/itchy.

Thanks for reading my long rambly post, I really want to keep using minoxidil and I know I look like an idiot for continuing to use it after it's caused hair loss beyond what I had before I started, I really liked the beard growth too. I have a family history of heart issues and I'm a bit sketchy about how to take oral minoxidil safely, or if it would even be worth it.
Any help, ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick update : The Lipogaine sensitive isn't causing itching or irritation at all. Only on day 3 with it, but both the Kirkland Foam and Liquid caused me to itch to ridiculous levels.

Will keep this updated in case it helps anyone.

Last edited:

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey folks, just posting an update. I'm really sad to say that the lipogaine sensitive is causing itching too. My scalp is constantly dry and flaky, it's obvious that something is irritating it.

This rules out :
Kirkland Foam
Kirkland Liquid
Lipogaine Sensitive liquid

I really don't want to quit minoxidil though as i'm terrified it'd cause even more shedding, even though the itching is responsible for a lot of the loss I incurred.

Literally any ideas/suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey folks, just posting an update. I'm really sad to say that the lipogaine sensitive is causing itching too. My scalp is constantly dry and flaky, it's obvious that something is irritating it.

This rules out :
Kirkland Foam
Kirkland Liquid
Lipogaine Sensitive liquid

I really don't want to quit minoxidil though as i'm terrified it'd cause even more shedding, even though the itching is responsible for a lot of the loss I incurred.

Literally any ideas/suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated.

I have been going through the same issue for awhile now. You should probably get back on the corticosteroid you were using previously. What are the names of the steroids? Also think very carefully, did you try any new shampoos or different methods to dry your hair because that could alter your scalps PH level causing inflammation. You could pick up a cheap cordless dermascope from amazon to check the hair follicles up close and In detail. Look for an over production of sebum or any redness or halo effect surrounding the hair follicle indicating inflammation. Also you could pick up some PH testing strips to test the PH of all your hair products to make sure their not to alkaline or acidic but just right around 4.5. My hair has taking a hit just as badly as yours if not worse man. I did go to an allergist after I patch tested myself to be patch tested professionally. My testes came back negative both times but I did get skin irritation from Nizoral. Nizoral can be very irritating for some but end up working for others. If I was you I would stay away from it because the drying effect from the sulphate could exacerbate your symptoms. Instead, you might benefit from taking an oral anti fungal such as fluconazole or turbinafine. It might also help to wash your hair in colder water instead of warm water. Ummm I can’t think of anything else to add to this but if you have any questions just ask. I am about to give formula 82m minoxidil a try and see if that does better for me than lipogaine. Oh and I have been using lllt which might temporarily reduce itching and inflammation. Cut as much sugar as you can out of your diet.

I had my heart checked a few years ago and it is supposedly really healthy but when I used oral minoxidil I got some fluttering.

You can patch test yourself by cleaning the underside of your forearm where the skin is the most sensitive. Wash your hands carefully and scratch or microneedle your skin lightly. Take a bandaid and put the product on it and then apply it to that area for 48 hours or until you experience discomfort. You want to try and isolate each ingredient if you can. For example test your sensitivity to just alcohol and then your sensitivity to minoxidil tablets crushed and mixed in petroleum jelly.

Last edited:

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You may or may not not already know that dermatitis is caused by an overproduction of sebum and the associated inflammation is from Malassezia yeast feeding on the fatty acids and sugar in the sebum. The inflammation makes you want to itch but itching can lead to a bacteria infection of the scalp otherwise known as folliculitis. You get mild relief from coal tar? Studies have shown that licorice extract is a powerful anti fungal but supposedly can reduce testosterone significantly when taken orally. You probably don’t want to take it orally for that reason because it could cause side effects. It is solvable in water according to https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Licorice#section=Solubility. You could probably add a little lemon juice to to help kill any bacteria.

This issue is a tough one when you have male pattern hair loss. The miniaturization is already causing thinning. The dermatitis is causing inflammation and possibly a chronic telogen effluvium. Even if the dermatitis isn’t, not using minoxidil anymore definitely is.

Last edited:

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas. After 3 weeks on lipogaine sensitive I can unequivocally say that topical minoxidil is causing the irritation and I have to discontinue it.

I have been going through the same issue for awhile now. You should probably get back on the corticosteroid you were using previously. What are the names of the steroids? Also think very carefully, did you try any new shampoos or different methods to dry your hair because that could alter your scalps PH level causing inflammation. You could pick up a cheap cordless dermascope from amazon to check the hair follicles up close and In detail. Look for an over production of sebum or any redness or halo effect surrounding the hair follicle indicating inflammation. Also you could pick up some PH testing strips to test the PH of all your hair products to make sure their not to alkaline or acidic but just right around 4.5. My hair has taking a hit just as badly as yours if not worse man. I did go to an allergist after I patch tested myself to be patch tested professionally. My testes came back negative both times but I did get skin irritation from Nizoral. Nizoral can be very irritating for some but end up working for others. If I was you I would stay away from it because the drying effect from the sulphate could exacerbate your symptoms. Instead, you might benefit from taking an oral anti fungal such as fluconazole or turbinafine. It might also help to wash your hair in colder water instead of warm water. Ummm I can’t think of anything else to add to this but if you have any questions just ask. I am about to give formula 82m minoxidil a try and see if that does better for me than lipogaine. Oh and I have been using lllt which might temporarily reduce itching and inflammation. Cut as much sugar as you can out of your diet.

I had my heart checked a few years ago and it is supposedly really healthy but when I used oral minoxidil I got some fluttering.

You can patch test yourself by cleaning the underside of your forearm where the skin is the most sensitive. Wash your hands carefully and scratch or microneedle your skin lightly. Take a bandaid and put the product on it and then apply it to that area for 48 hours or until you experience discomfort. You want to try and isolate each ingredient if you can. For example test your sensitivity to just alcohol and then your sensitivity to minoxidil tablets crushed and mixed in petroleum jelly.

I've tried this over the past couple of days, was looking good until the second day when the itch was so intense I wanted to dig my skin out. It pretty much confirmed for me that the minoxidil is causing the issue, I did this before with the foam and same again.
I was using bethmesone liquid, and sometimes I apply elocon gel directly if it gets really bad.

You may or may not not already know that dermatitis is caused by an overproduction of sebum and the associated inflammation is from Malassezia yeast feeding on the fatty acids and sugar in the sebum. The inflammation makes you want to itch but itching can lead to a bacteria infection of the scalp otherwise known as folliculitis. You get mild relief from coal tar? Studies have shown that licorice extract is a powerful anti fungal but supposedly can reduce testosterone significantly when taken orally. You probably don’t want to take it orally for that reason because it could cause side effects. It is solvable in water according to https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Licorice#section=Solubility. You could probably add a little lemon juice to to help kill any bacteria.

This issue is a tough one when you have male pattern hair loss. The miniaturization is already causing thinning. The dermatitis is causing inflammation and possibly a chronic telogen effluvium. Even if the dermatitis isn’t, not using minoxidil anymore definitely is.

I've tried pretty much every topical antifungal and unfortunately, whenever I stop minoxidil is whenever the itching stops, and nothing else. As I have atopic dermatitis on my face/body my dermatologist asserted that it's just an extension of the condition and a sudden reaction.

What about switching for oral minoxidil?
I'm going to get myself checked out first to be sure it's suitable, i'm 31 but every man on my fathers side has died of a heart condition.

My plan is :
- Stop minoxidil for now because the itching is causing more loss than it'd ever regrow
- Get back on topical steroids
- Continue finasteride 1mg
- Wait 6 months for my non-minoxidil baseline to return (it's going to be savage I know)
- Contact Dr Dermirsoy for a hair transplant
- If hair transplant results unsatisfactory then start oral minoxidil
- Keep this thread updated

Here's my pics of where i'm at presently, will keep you posted as I assume things will worsen from stopping the minoxidil. I buzzed my head btw.

20190812_203339.jpg 20190812_203310.jpg

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also one more pic for the record of when minoxidil was actually working for me. (this was less than a year ago)

Attachments

• 678567856785768.jpg
    678567856785768.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 516

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also one more pic for the record of when minoxidil was actually working for me. (this was less than a year ago)

This is just brutal and I want my hair back too. I’m going to try 82m and will let you know how it goes. If you try oral minoxidil stay away from sodium and start out with a low dose. I jumped in at 5mg and should have started with 0.5mg and worked my way up. Might want to have a dietetic prepared.

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey folks just a quick update :
I've had eczema on my face, requiring a topical immunosupressant (tacrolimus) for the last 3-4 years, which causes burning and sunlight sensitivity. Since stopping minoxidil the eczema has completely gone away and my face is clear, so definite plus I can stop using the topical immunosupressants.
I imagine the dread shed is yet to come. Still plan on getting a hair transplant and will post pics in a month when there's some significant changes.

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just updating the thread since I stopped minoxidil. I'm not sure if my hair is better or worse but it's 100% less itchy now. Scalp feels a lot healthier too.
Also you can see my forehead + nose no longer has any eczema. Will keep updating but here's your 1.5 month update

Attachments

• hairupdate - Copy.jpg
    hairupdate - Copy.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 560

AllerganSaveUs

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the reason why I have been using oral minoxidil since late 2017. Oral Minoxidil+pyrithione zinc shampoo = Hair growth with no itch.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just updating the thread since I stopped minoxidil. I'm not sure if my hair is better or worse but it's 100% less itchy now. Scalp feels a lot healthier too.
Also you can see my forehead + nose no longer has any eczema. Will keep updating but here's your 1.5 month update

Need your advice. Did buzzing your scalp help the flakes come off easier. Do you think your scalp health might have also improved due to less hair causing warmth and greasy ness. I have a ridiculous amount of flakes that get caught in my long hair and I think attach themselves back to the scalp. I’m getting ready to buzz my scalp so the skin gets more air and not so greasy. I also want to be able to keep my skin clean. Just looking for your input.

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Need your advice. Did buzzing your scalp help the flakes come off easier. Do you think your scalp health might have also improved due to less hair causing warmth and greasy ness. I have a ridiculous amount of flakes that get caught in my long hair and I think attach themselves back to the scalp. I’m getting ready to buzz my scalp so the skin gets more air and not so greasy. I also want to be able to keep my skin clean. Just looking for your input.

Salcylic acid clears the flakes (t-gel), coal tar shampoo (t-gel) reduces the itch. Unfortunately even with doing this daily it wasn't enough to stop the itching and inflammation.
I'd say while I was on the minoxidil and buzzed my head, the itching was 20-30% better but ultimately not sustainable because an allergy is an allergy, I was just in denial about it and trying everything because I didn't want to have to face up to quitting it.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
try some effective shampoos like Ducray Kertyol PSO or Kertol Kelual DS, those are the mvps for dandruff, scalp dermatitis and itchiness, sh*t will cure you real fast

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just updating, not really sure if it's better or worse but it's upto you, checking the status in another 2 months. If it's still unsatisfactory just going to get a transplant.
Bear in mind all these pics are taken with a bright light bearing down on top of my head, but I think that's the standard

Attachments

• 20191116_145447.jpg
    20191116_145447.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 469

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there any glycole in your minoxidil solution? Maybe propilenic?

Meeasuma

My Regimen
Reaction score
is there any glycole in your minoxidil solution? Maybe propilenic?
Hey mate, i've listed all that i've tried :
Kirkland Liquid
Kirkland Foam
Rogaine Foam
Lipogaine Sensitive Liquid

Same result for them all, I quit min on Aug20, so this is more a minoxidil cessation study thread now :D planning to give it until Feb/March and if I'm not getting back close to my original density before my scalp scaled up with contact dermatitis I'll get a transplant.

Derm said it could be consistent with areas I itched in, or just loss from minoxidil cessation, will find out in a few months which one is the culprit.

If the transplant is unsatisfactory, I'll consider oral (also because my beard has gone WAY thinner since quitting and I miss it loads). But honestly I think the minoxidil itself is causing the reaction from all that I tried and the skin patch tests.

Also this isn't a scare story for people on minoxidil, I have struggled with severe atopic dermatitis since I was born, I was surprised minoxidil lasted so long without a reaction, but one day my body just decided that it didn't like it.

Hopefully before my transplant we can learn some stuff about minoxidil cessation and it's effect on density though.

I haven't included it in the thread because it was bad quality, but here's my hair when I decided to quit minoxidil in August, you can see there's definitely more density since then.

Attachments

• 20190807_005337.jpg
    20190807_005337.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 472

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey mate, i've listed all that i've tried :
Kirkland Liquid
Kirkland Foam
Rogaine Foam
Lipogaine Sensitive Liquid

Same result for them all, I quit min on Aug20, so this is more a minoxidil cessation study thread now :D planning to give it until Feb/March and if I'm not getting back close to my original density before my scalp scaled up with contact dermatitis I'll get a transplant.

Derm said it could be consistent with areas I itched in, or just loss from minoxidil cessation, will find out in a few months which one is the culprit.

If the transplant is unsatisfactory, I'll consider oral (also because my beard has gone WAY thinner since quitting and I miss it loads). But honestly I think the minoxidil itself is causing the reaction from all that I tried and the skin patch tests.

Also this isn't a scare story for people on minoxidil, I have struggled with severe atopic dermatitis since I was born, I was surprised minoxidil lasted so long without a reaction, but one day my body just decided that it didn't like it.

Hopefully before my transplant we can learn some stuff about minoxidil cessation and it's effect on density though.

I haven't included it in the thread because it was bad quality, but here's my hair when I decided to quit minoxidil in August, you can see there's definitely more density since then.
Thats ok, i was asking because i see Kirkland/rogaine minoxidil contains propylene glycol

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your skin can't tolerate topical minoxidil then try oral, start a small dose and work your way up.