Minoxidil (Rogaine / Regaine)

lillucy16

Reaction score
Hi,

I am only 19years old and already have severe hair thinning on the top of my scalp. I have been to the Belgravia Centre who have told me I should go on their treatment of Minoxidil as it has MPG added into it which is supposed to promote the effect of monoxidil. It is however alot more expensive than that perscribed over the NHS. Does anyone know if it is worth spending more as being a student I don't have the money!

Also I have read that monoxidil is perscription only so are the products you can buy over the interenet the real thing?

Also I was going to start on 2% however have read alot of people are on 5% how do I know which is best for me to use as the belgravia centre perscribe 4%?

Please someone help me I desperate!!!

TMP

Reaction score
Re:

The ups and downs are one if you use rogaine then you stop your hairloss and start growing new hairs and the downs are you have to use the product forever, it can never be stopped. I went on rogaine for a year and yes it did work but my hair looked really bad for about 8-9months. I had so much hair and when summer came with the humid weather my hair was nothing but frizz. I was so embarresed. Of course now that I'm off it I did lose all that I gained and I'm starting over with products from a local salon here in VT. My crown area and sides I'm trying to restore again. Yes, I'm tired of this whole thing, dealing with the hair every day just stresses me out to no end. Everyone tells me they can't tell, I wonder if they are just being kind or if it's really true, that is the only thing that keeps me trying. At least no one has laughed at me, or said my hair looked awful or funny. I know when I was using the Rogaine my son had made a comment to me one morning that my hair looked frizzy, I think I could of died because I already knew that it did, it just didn't look healthy to me and I really hated it. I'm giving one more year of this and then I guess I'll have to go back on the Rogaine again and just deal with having puffy frizzed out hair for the rest of my life. Tiny
So you know the ups and downs of NOT using minoxidil. What are the ups and downs of using minoxidil?

TMP

Reaction score
Re: Re:

The ups and downs are one if you use rogaine then you stop your hairloss and start growing new hairs and the downs are you have to use the product forever, it can never be stopped. I went on rogaine for a year and yes it did work but my hair looked really bad for about 8-9months. I had so much hair and when summer came with the humid weather my hair was nothing but frizz. I was so embarresed. Of course now that I'm off it I did lose all that I gained and I'm starting over with products from a local salon here in VT. My crown area and sides I'm trying to restore again. Yes, I'm tired of this whole thing, dealing with the hair every day just stresses me out to no end. Everyone tells me they can't tell, I wonder if they are just being kind or if it's really true, that is the only thing that keeps me trying. At least no one has laughed at me, or said my hair looked awful or funny. I know when I was using the Rogaine my son had made a comment to me one morning that my hair looked frizzy, I think I could of died because I already knew that it did, it just didn't look healthy to me and I really hated it. I'm giving one more year of this and then I guess I'll have to go back on the Rogaine again and just deal with having puffy frizzed out hair for the rest of my life. Tiny
BruceLee said:
So you know the ups and downs of NOT using minoxidil. What are the ups and downs of using minoxidil?
It did bring my hair back, frizzy's and all. I'm starting to feel that depressed feeling again of not wanting to go anywhere or do anything. I'm going to go see my hair dresser next week to see if she has seen any improvement within the last 2 months of seeing her. I'm sure she will say she has because she just wants me to keep purchasing her products. I just feel like I'm mad at everyone including myself for ever getting off the product and having to deal with this all again. I would feel so good if I could do this on my own without having to rely on the minoxidil forever. I don't know anymore, I'll keep you posted. I could be starting the minoxidil by next week or by next summer. UGH!

TMP

Reaction score
anybody ever use womens rogaine and only use it once a day instead of the recommended twice a day? I wonder if this would work the same way and maybe less fall out when you first start applying the product? Let me know if anyone has tried this method.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
anybody ever use womens rogaine and only use it once a day instead of the recommended twice a day? I wonder if this would work the same way and maybe less fall out when you first start applying the product? Let me know if anyone has tried this method.
the shedding is actually part of how minoxdil works, if your hair starts growing thicker your body will reject the thinner hair
so unfortunately less shedding = less results

TMP

Reaction score
somone uk said:
the shedding is actually part of how minoxdil works, if your hair starts growing thicker your body will reject the thinner hair
so unfortunately less shedding = less results
ok, I understand. next question: does rogaine need to be applied to the top of the head or can I just do the underneath hairs on sides and crown area? That is where most of my thinning hair problem is.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok, I understand. next question: does rogaine need to be applied to the top of the head or can I just do the underneath hairs on sides and crown area? That is where most of my thinning hair problem is.

apply it where the thinning is

TMP

Reaction score
somone uk said:

apply it where the thinning is
Thanks for helping

shoecrazy

Reaction score
I used Rogaine when they first offered it for women. Unforturnately I saw no results at all. I have a spot on my temple that was the first to thin. I put it on there faithfully. Nothing. I'm hearing people mention going up to 5% or mens. Is this safe? I already experienced menapause (prematurely, the good news keeps on coming) so there are no children in my future.

eab27

Reaction score
Rogaine Foam for Women?

I also have a question...it seems on the hair-loss section for women on this site, they are really supporting the use of Rogaine Foam for women, but a women's product does not seem to exist. There is only a Rogaine Foam for Men that I can find.

Is this site advocating the use of Rogaine for Men in women? Have any women tried the men's version and if so, what were the results?

I have tried Rogaine (2%) topical solution for women in the past for about a year with minimal results. I also found the whole process really inconvenient and tedious.

divinemissj

Reaction score
eab, I had no results with minoxidil 2% and excellent results using 5% minoxidil once a day. Definitely go with the 5% minoxidil.

bookwmn

Reaction score
I just started using 2 % Women's Rogaine tonight. It seems like a big nuisance to apply 2 x a day. Do you find it so?

Also, it made my scalp feel weird and I felt kind of head-achy. What are the long-term effects of Rogaine being absorbed through the skin?

bookwmn

Reaction score
I'm a new Rogaine user.

Questions:

1. Do you use your fingers to apply Rogaine? Or gloves? Or what? Have your fingers ever grown hairy?

2. I just read that someone had to stop due to "severe chest pains." This stuff CAN'T be good for us.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen a moisterizing version of Minoxidil? It's much to drying to my hair to use daily. Thanks you can PM if possible.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh ok this is a thread to ask questions of the admin? If so here goes...

I've lessened my shed. I've also found a way to make the hair's still attached to my head, grow.

But I HAVEN'T found a way to regrow the hairs that have fallen out, or fall out daily. This is my problem.

Is Minoxidil the only active ingredient that will do this? I've tried it and it dries my hair fiercely, tangles it, and makes it dull and hard to comb (breakage) and style. If I add oil to help, this blocks the Min.

C

champion118

wholesale hairBut just as many disagree: They say the president has a "greater responsibility" to set
wholesale hair extensions
wholesale hair weave "an example with his personal life" When asked to say in their own words what worried them most about the country's values and morals, nearly as many mentioned Mr.
wholesale human hair
lace wigsClinton or some aspect of the Lewinsky scandal as specified usly, President Clinton's not much of a role model for us. That might not be so worrisome if people were n
full lace wigsdeclining family values. Edward Krutulis, 34, a Plainfield, Illinois, pharmaceutical sales representative, after lamenting the country's moral condition, said, "Obvio
human hair wigs

nemo78

Reaction score
ive just been prescribed 2.8% minoxidil after visiting a trichologist. I have alopeci areata and some Telogen Effluvium and some androgenetic. I have had this problem for nearly 10 years. it has progressively got worse and now my hair is the thinnest it has ever been with patchy hair loss too. I lost my father a year ago and just as i started to chill out and enjoy life again my hair just packed up. I now have been usinf minoxidil for 2 weeks and it has increased the shedding at the scalp (I can see more scalp and patches than ever i just want to kill myself every day. Havent left the house apart from to work in 3 months and its got thinnes since using minoxidel but im too terrfied to come off it as i am now stuck with the least hair ever , i think because of this!! Please help i am now considering going on antidepressants and leaving work. IM CONVINCED MINOXIDIL JUST MAKES HAIR THIN SO WHEN YOU SEE HAIR GROWING AGAIN YOU THINK IT WORKS AND IS JUST A CON. :( :( :( :(

FormerRapunzel

Reaction score
Minoxidil gives me deep lines/wrinkles under my eyes which go away (somewhat) when I discontinue using it. It did grow hair for me. After about 4 months of using 5% liquid Rogaine, just once a day, I went from perfect unlined skin, to having deep etches under my eyes. I was 27 when I started using it. It could have been natual aging, but I don't understand how such strong lines could develop so quickly. My hands also aged. I now have bulging veins on my hands, which I believe was caused also by the Rogaine. My hands still have these veins after discontinuing Rogaine. Rogaine did regrow a decent amount of hair for me. I have read Rogaine interferes with collagen production. Can anyone elaborate on the topic of Rogaine causing aging of the skin?

iloveeshoes

Reaction score
Frustrated because Rogaine does cause skin degeneration

Minoxidil gives me deep lines/wrinkles under my eyes which go away (somewhat) when I discontinue using it. It did grow hair for me. After about 4 months of using 5% liquid Rogaine, just once a day, I went from perfect unlined skin, to having deep etches under my eyes. I was 27 when I started using it. It could have been natual aging, but I don't understand how such strong lines could develop so quickly. My hands also aged. I now have bulging veins on my hands, which I believe was caused also by the Rogaine. My hands still have these veins after discontinuing Rogaine. Rogaine did regrow a decent amount of hair for me. I have read Rogaine interferes with collagen production. Can anyone elaborate on the topic of Rogaine causing aging of the skin?

Yep it absolutely is not good for your skin. I have been on and off Rogaine for about 1 and half. It has enlarged my pores and put deep lines on my face. I'm getting off of it now. I just can't have this stuff messing up my skin. I hate it too because it worked well for me and did grow my hair but it was messing my face up so bad, I had to get off of it. I have a prescription for Propecia but I'm not sure if I want to take it because I'm also reading that this has caused some individuals to have fine lines on their face as well. I'm starting to think that all dht blocker will have this side effect. There must be some link between dht and collegen production. I feel like I can't win. It's either my hair or my face and right now it will have to be my hair. I'd rather wear a wig and keep my face in tact then to look 10 years older than am.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I never started it either, it made my situation worse. It will cause a big shed when you first start using it and then if you try to get off, you will lose more hair than if you had never tried it. I mean if you have thinning hair, probably more hair is in the resting phase and starting a routine like Rogaine will cause that resting hair to fall out. Then every Rogaine induced strand after that will be depend on that s*#t, the minute you stop the depend hair will fall. The more hair that is depend on Rogaine the more you will lose. I'm tired of it all really, I'm so close to getting a wig you just don't know. Propecia is my last option.

ildera

Reaction score
Hi! I just had a hair transplant about five months ago and all seems to be well. The doctor took a strip of hair from across the back of my head and planted each hair bulb one by one across the top of my scalp. Aside from the discomfort and moderate pain of recovery in the following weeks, I don't regret having it done.

My hair is genetically thin plus I have thinning hair. I am currently using topical treatments from a hair center (expensive) and my transplant doctor recommends that I stop those and use Rogaine since it's much cheaper and is proven to work (though not 100%). I've read through the forum and I'm afraid of the side effects (more hair fall, dandruff, itchy scalp, dry hair) but realize that it's a lifelong condition that I need to treat for the rest of my life.

My question is what is the eventual hair thickness that Rogaine grows on your scalp? Does it match the same type of hair that you currently have? Or will it stay baby fine and thin? I have no problems in the frequency of application as I have been quite diligent in applying my current set of topical treatments (daily, twice a day). I'm planning on trying Rogaine for about a year. Thank you!