Minoxidil (Rogaine / Regaine)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
The 5% is a bit strong for some women. Some may find increased facial hair growth, yet great results.

pigletlovesme

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I'm a newbie.. I don't know bout what really works. One thing I know is that , I'm only 23 yet my thinning hairline really bothers me.. quite a lot. I've bought Minoxidil. Sadly, I've surfed from the net of its side effects. The stuff I read said that once stopping the treatment after a prolonged use will resort to falling hair once again. How true is this? :hairy:

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Unfortunately, minoxidil is "dose-dependent," meaning that once you stop using it, you will lose the hairs that you were maintaining with treatment.

It's kind of like a devil's bargain.

But the good news is this: It works incredibly well in women; it works in the long run; and it's as simple as two applications (1 if you are running short on time) daily.

Don't let your hair put you down... Give the minoxidil a good 4-6 months before you start to see benefit.

Goodluck

Carmen700

Reaction score
Body & Facial hair

Hi, I have been using rogaine for 3 months and it has been a bit over a month I stopped using it because I noticed a lot of facial hair and darkening and elongation of my body hair. Has anyone experienced this as well? my doctor said it may take up to 6 months for me to rid of these side effects. Can anyone offer me their own experience if they have undergone these side effects as well?
Thanks

christiane

Reaction score
Can I stop Rogaine during pregnancy and then continue?

Hi, I've been using Women's rogaine for a month now. I'm only 23, so I'm concerned that if one day I want to get pregnant, I'll have to stop using Rogaine. I guess that I will lose the hair that would have been regrown. Do I just restart using Rogaine after breastfeeding, though it'll mean that I start from zero..? Will it still be as helpful?

Thanks

Rosy (in Sydney)

SallyThorns

Reaction score
hi guys, im new here and i just wanted to ask some questions/share my story.

I'm only 24 and have been losing my hair for almost 5 years now. It starts off at the front of my head and just got worse. Its now very thin in the front and if my hair blows back its quite bald...it seems to be getting worse. I was referred to a dermatologist and she told me to start using rogaine for men 2% (we dont have the women one here in canada) but she said its basically the exact same thing and she studies at the hair loss clinic in one of the universities up here. So now im starting to use the rogaine which is making my hair very oily....my hair is so thin up front that i basically need to wash it everyday to get volume to it, but i heard its bad to wash everyday because it washes out the natural oils. If i were to apply rogaine to my hair twice a day, the next day i would have extremely oily hair showing my thin spots more visably. So im not sure how to go about applying the product?

Also if i live in canada can i get rogaine foam shipped to me from the states or will it be held back at the customes border since its not approved here in canada?

my last question is i have a lot of healthy hairs in my blading area and i was wondering if rogaine is going to shed those hairs?? its very hard to get roginae in the exact spot of the balding, it usually ends up goin to other places as well. I just dont want to lose the hair i already have :(

suggestions?

SallyThorns

Reaction score
hi guys, im new here and i just wanted to ask some questions/share my story.

I'm only 24 and have been losing my hair for almost 5 years now. It starts off at the front of my head and just got worse. Its now very thin in the front and if my hair blows back its quite bald...it seems to be getting worse. I was referred to a dermatologist and she told me to start using rogaine for men 2% (we dont have the women one here in canada) but she said its basically the exact same thing and she studies at the hair loss clinic in one of the universities up here. So now im starting to use the rogaine which is making my hair very oily....my hair is so thin up front that i basically need to wash it everyday to get volume to it, but i heard its bad to wash everyday because it washes out the natural oils. If i were to apply rogaine to my hair twice a day, the next day i would have extremely oily hair showing my thin spots more visably. So im not sure how to go about applying the product?

Also if i live in canada can i get rogaine foam shipped to me from the states or will it be held back at the customes border since its not approved here in canada?

my last question is i have a lot of healthy hairs in my blading area and i was wondering if rogaine is going to shed those hairs?? its very hard to get roginae in the exact spot of the balding, it usually ends up goin to other places as well. I just dont want to lose the hair i already have :(

suggestions?

Hairless in Seattle

Reaction score
I've been using Rogaine 5% for nearly a year now, and I see no results. At this point, I ought to give up and buy a wig, but I'm kinda psychologically addicted to rogaine, because at least it FEELS like I'm doing something. Pathetic, I know.

I watched an informercial on ScalpMed. Anyone try this? Does it work as well as the before/after showed?

lgutherie

Reaction score
what happened when I stopped Minoxidil

I started on 2% Minoxidil two years ago, and it stopped my hair loss plus I had some new growth. Then seven months ago, I added Arbonne's Thermal Fusion hair & scalp revitalizer. This addition plumped up my thin, baby fine hair and since I know the high standards of Arbonne, I decided I could probably stop the Minoxidil. Wrong.... All was well for a few weeks, then my hair started falling out just like before Minoxidil. So I've been back on the combination of Minoxidil and Thermal Fusion for five weeks. Hair loss has already almost stopped and I fully expect and hope for some more new growth. Thermal Fusion does not claim to regrow hair, only to stimulate and support hair follicles and inhibit DHT production, and I do love the results I get with it, but am advising everyone - if you start Minoxidil, you must stay on it!! At least that's my experience!
Take care,
Linda

If you want to learn more about Thermal Fusion, I've posted some info on my website for you here:

(full disclosure, I am an Arbonne consultant)

Report this post

motley

Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil 2% for probably 25 years, whenever it first came out by prescription only. It has slowed down hair loss & I have grown back a lot. My scalp doesn't show. Before minoxidil I could give a hair a little tug & it would come right out. My hair is not perfect, but it never has been, very fine. The dermatologist diagnosed alopecea. I buy the store brand, it's the same thing at half the price. Target has a 3 pk for $18.99. Can't remember how long before I saw results, but when I went back to the derm, you could tug a hair & it would not come out. I also have not experienced hair growth on face or elsewhere.
I don't know what other things work, but would be scared to death to give up minoxidil.

AGGIE

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I am 32 yrs old and pregnant with my second child. I have been experiencing hair loss for the last five years. After the birth of my first child I experienced such severe hair loss that the only option was to wear a wig. I spent $1100.00 on a human hair wig. I initially recieved many compliments on how great I looked with the wig, but wig maintance is difficult. I wore the wig for a little over a year before most of my own hair grew back. My part continues to get wider each year in addition to having recession of my hair line in the front on the sides. During this pregnancy my hair has done well, even my part looks a little better, but I am scared to death of losing it all again after birth. I am considering starting Rogaine after giving birth, but I do want to nurse. I wonder if nursing contributes any to hair loss and I don't know about starting Rogaine while nursing. Also, I had an epideral during birth last time and wondered if this could contribute to hair loss. I am not sure if this will be our last child or not and wonder if anyone has used Rogaine and then stopped when pregnant and then what happened during those 9 months. Any info would be appreciated.

CCS

Reaction score
I've read many studies where finasteride was given to women. It works well on them. And it is safe on them. But if you get pregnant with a boy, and take it during pregnancy, particularly the second month, he will develop micro penis.

A

Administrator

Chem, things you say on this board can end up back in your front door in the form of a process server serving you papers for a lawsuit, so be very careful what you say. You may want to avoid the women's forums altogether. On our women's site they are very.... very ..... very .... un-interested in guys participating in their discussions.

To be more responsible in replying to this post, - you should never use Finasteride/Propecia without the consent of your physician.

Admin

A

Administrator

AGGIE said:
I am new to this forum. I am 32 yrs old and pregnant with my second child. I have been experiencing hair loss for the last five years. After the birth of my first child I experienced such severe hair loss that the only option was to wear a wig. I spent $1100.00 on a human hair wig. I initially recieved many compliments on how great I looked with the wig, but wig maintance is difficult. I wore the wig for a little over a year before most of my own hair grew back. My part continues to get wider each year in addition to having recession of my hair line in the front on the sides. During this pregnancy my hair has done well, even my part looks a little better, but I am scared to death of losing it all again after birth. I am considering starting Rogaine after giving birth, but I do want to nurse. I wonder if nursing contributes any to hair loss and I don't know about starting Rogaine while nursing. Also, I had an epideral during birth last time and wondered if this could contribute to hair loss. I am not sure if this will be our last child or not and wonder if anyone has used Rogaine and then stopped when pregnant and then what happened during those 9 months. Any info would be appreciated.
Aggie -

Pregnancy can do this. Usually the hair returns, as you found after your first pregnancy. A second one may complicate things a bit, and it may be a few years before things "settle down" hormonally for you again, enough for your hair to return. You have two options at this point: First off, see a doctor. Specifically a dermatologist. DO NOT make any decisions regarding this type of thing on your own. And do not base your decision on anything you read here from anonymous college kids. I personally do not know if Rogaine can adversely affect breast feeding so please discuss it with a physician. The suggestion to consider Propecia was wholly inappropriate as well, so please disregard that.

Regarding the treatments: Rogaine Foam will stimulate hair growth despite whatever is causing your loss. This may be the treatment your doctor will recommend, if he feels that you are not experiencing an ongoing hormonal related hair loss (androgenetic alopecia). If you are, he may suggest topical or other antiandrogens for you.

Admin

Hayley

Reaction score
I have telogen effluvium and androgenetic allopecia. I've been using 5% for 9 months now (along with dianette). I was told not to expect any sign of improvement for at least 9 months but i have had photos taken at each 3 month stage and after just the first 3 months, there were signs that it was getting better.

I did notice that i was shedding more than normal at first but this stopped after a while (cant remember how long). Initially i had alot of thinning about an inch either side of my parting and now i have a clear parting, how it should be. Its still very thin and wispy though, theres no weight to it and when i look in a mirror under certain light, i can still see right back to the crown through the hair. I dont have much of a fringe either

But i was told and have read that it doesnt grow back perfect straight away.

I've not had any real side effects either, apart from making my hair really greasy. I get mine from a hospital. They make it up themselves and add something extra that makes it a greasier solution (Cant remember what) so that its less harsh on the scalp.

So basically, minoxidyl so far has worked pretty well for me. I just have to wait and see if i'm gonna get back the hair that i had, ie thick and strong

erica

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before but the post was older. Is it OK for women to use the 5% for men? I've been using the 2% but like the idea of foam but it's only available in the men's 5%. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Erica

skrules

Reaction score
Hi all, my fiance had always had thin hair. But lately within the past one year, her hair had thinned a little more and we are planning to do something about it. She visited Italy to see her parents and she went to see a dermatologist. The dermatologist had some blood tests done. ALl her zinc, iron levels are normal and she was prescribed Aloxidil (another name for minoxidil in Europe) for two months.

But when she asked the dermatologist if she has to use it all her life, the dermatologist has answered that she only needs to take it for two months and it doesnt work like men. However I am skeptical about that. Almost everywhere I read, it says that minoxidil has to be used forever to keep the hair from falling.

We are getting married in two months and we are afraid that if she takes Aloxidil, her normal hair might fall out before growing back. We are also concerned about using Aloxidil just for two months. Can someone clarify on this, please?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
K

suejubee

Reaction score
facial hair

My hair has been thinning for 8 years now and I've finally stopped trying to tell myself that I'm crazy. I'm going to start seeing a doctor soon to see what the deal is. I'm thinking about Rogaine for women but I've been told that it can cause hair to grow on the face. Does anybody out there have any experience with this? Is it common? If so, is there anything one can do to combat it?