Minoxidil Is An Anti-androgen Just Like Finasteride.

Stech

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m using Rogaine the foam version. Nothing oral, will it has similar side effects as what you listed above

Aeroes

Established Member
Reaction score
Not denying your experience. But your hormone levels look abundant on paper

Your testosterone is very high it's insane that the lower DHT wouldn't compensate with those type of levels. Best of luck hope you get better

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Especially when taken orally/systemically.

You've already seen the studies on this. And probably thought, "Oh, the effects on hormones are too small! Hair regrowth soooo important and worth the slight decrease in DHT!" Well guess what? Big pharma has you in it's grip.

I am just here to share my personal experience and the results of my hormones test. No, I'm not an alt. And yes, thousands of people have gotten these same side effects from the drug and have reported it to doctors, or online. I am not alone, and anyone else who has gotten erectile dysfunction / finasteride-like sides from Minoxidil is not crazy. I used 5% Kirkland foam for 6 months, and dermarolled 1.5mm regularly while on it, so it went systemic.

I asked my doctor about measuring my hormones because my libido had decreased drastically since taking Minoxidil. I also had other signs of low DHT. She agreed. These are the results:

Testosterone: 895ng/dl (healthy: 270 - 1220)

E2: 40 (healthy 20-50)

DHT: 41 (healthy 35-133)

As you can see, my testosterone and estrogen are very high, and my DHT is very low. Everything is in the "healthy range", but nothing is balanced. My ratios are well out of the healthy range:

Total T/DHT ratio: 0.04 (healthy: 0.05 - 0.33)

I have not taken any other DHT inhibiting drugs such as Finasteride, Dutasteride, Accutane, saw palmetto oil, SSRIs, antidepressents, ect. I only took Minoxidil. This decrease in DHT I have experienced has persisted even after quitting Minoxidil, as I haven't taken the drug in almost 7 months. I am not the only person to report this, several on propeciahelp have also claimed to have gotten Finasteride-like symptoms that persist after quitting from Minoxidil. I am getting on Andractim gel 0.25% to try and get my DHT up and my T/E down to see if that fixes the sides.

If you are on Minoxidil, get your hormones tested. Pay very close attention to signs of low DHT such as decreased libido, weak erections, erectile dysfunction, chronically dry skin, thinned skin/collagen loss, fatigue/tiredness, unable to gain muscle, and mental sides such as loss of motivation, loss of enjoyment, excessive anger, excessive emotions, and insomnia.

Yes, Minoxidil's effects on DHT are real. Especially if you take it systemically. Be responsible while using major drugs to avoid side effects.
You cant conclude that minoxidil is the cause behind your hormone levels. Just because you have some problems down there does not confirm that what you're taking (meds) is the cause. Add to that, minoxidil is not an anti-androgen nor an inhibitor. It does not affect the hormone levels at all.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What? How about these studies then?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

"Minoxidil may suppress androgen receptor-related functions"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30064598

"Minoxidil Acts as an Antiandrogen: A Study of 5α-reductase Type 2 Gene Expression in a Human Keratinocyte Cell Line."

And the fact we have several other members experiencing the same side effects as fina.
"Minoxidil may suppress androgen receptor-related functions" This claim does not say that minoxidil affect hormone levels at all, like OP is claiming in this thread.

The second study is quite interesting. However, I dont think topical minoxidil at 2 ml per day will lead to sexual sides. Most of minoxidil is absorbed in the skin, with little to none going systematic. Add to that, the study claims a 0.22 fold change for 5ar type 2, which will most likely not lead to significant changes in DHT levels, if any considering that minoxidil is applied topically at low doses.

Either way, these two studies are intriguing. More research should be done in this regard.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agree we need more research, but all of this clearly indicates that what is happening to OP is very plausible.
It may very well be. After reading those studies, I shouldn't have ruled out this possibility. However, I think these sides may be very rare, if they were to exist.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Especially when taken orally/systemically.

You've already seen the studies on this. And probably thought, "Oh, the effects on hormones are too small! Hair regrowth soooo important and worth the slight decrease in DHT!" Well guess what? Big pharma has you in it's grip.

I am just here to share my personal experience and the results of my hormones test. No, I'm not an alt. And yes, thousands of people have gotten these same side effects from the drug and have reported it to doctors, or online. I am not alone, and anyone else who has gotten erectile dysfunction / finasteride-like sides from Minoxidil is not crazy. I used 5% Kirkland foam for 6 months, and dermarolled 1.5mm regularly while on it, so it went systemic.

I asked my doctor about measuring my hormones because my libido had decreased drastically since taking Minoxidil. I also had other signs of low DHT. She agreed. These are the results:

Testosterone: 895ng/dl (healthy: 270 - 1220)

E2: 40 (healthy 20-50)

DHT: 41 (healthy 35-133)

As you can see, my testosterone and estrogen are very high, and my DHT is very low. Everything is in the "healthy range", but nothing is balanced. My ratios are well out of the healthy range:

Total T/DHT ratio: 0.04 (healthy: 0.05 - 0.33)

I have not taken any other DHT inhibiting drugs such as Finasteride, Dutasteride, Accutane, saw palmetto oil, SSRIs, antidepressents, ect. I only took Minoxidil. This decrease in DHT I have experienced has persisted even after quitting Minoxidil, as I haven't taken the drug in almost 7 months. I am not the only person to report this, several on propeciahelp have also claimed to have gotten Finasteride-like symptoms that persist after quitting from Minoxidil. I am getting on Andractim gel 0.25% to try and get my DHT up and my T/E down to see if that fixes the sides.

If you are on Minoxidil, get your hormones tested. Pay very close attention to signs of low DHT such as decreased libido, weak erections, erectile dysfunction, chronically dry skin, thinned skin/collagen loss, fatigue/tiredness, unable to gain muscle, and mental sides such as loss of motivation, loss of enjoyment, excessive anger, excessive emotions, and insomnia.

Yes, Minoxidil's effects on DHT are real. Especially if you take it systemically. Be responsible while using major drugs to avoid side effects.

i think they also said that dht level is very fluctuant even in the same day (if you check it at 6am with empy stomach and if you check it at 6pm there is a huge difference ).
its very unlikely that you can come to a conclusion checking that hormone alone, try to control androstenedione / sexual precursors which are more reliable, just to be sure its an hormonal thing.
im saying this because there are persons with your symptoms (that are real, of course) without any hormonal imbalance

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lmao, all your stuff is basically in the healthy range. There is nothing that states your total T has to be close to the amount of DHT. Everybody’s body converts Free T(which you haven’t shown here) to DHT at its own rate. You are an idiot who has BDD, a dangerous combo.

Lmao what’s next? “minoxidil made me grow devil horns”?

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As long as you don't know what were your DHT levels prior to using Minoxidil, your whole thread has no point whatsoever.

The studies that "conclude" that Minoxidil acts as an antiandrogen are still sceptical and nothing is set in stone. They said it *may* act as an antiandrogen (inhibitor of 5AR) but the degree to which it *may* inhibit it, is very weak and isn't comparable to even Saw Palmetto.

My intention wasn't to come off as harsh or a penis-head, however let's all be logical a little here.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
6BCED092-9212-4B2C-87E0-299EC5DE23B4.jpeg

What did I expect

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the real issue with topical minoxidil is that it ages the skin worse than the sun, once that crap drips down your face (inadvertently or what have you) you WILL have multiple open pores and all sorts of scraggly wrinkles on your forehead and cheeks.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the real issue with topical minoxidil is that it ages the skin worse than the sun, once that crap drips down your face (inadvertently or what have you) you WILL have multiple open pores and all sorts of scraggly wrinkles on your forehead and cheeks.
You're saying this as its an absolute certainty. How long till this happens in your opinion?

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're saying this as its an absolute certainty. How long till this happens in your opinion?

True, sorry about that -- some people do seem immune to that (developing wrinkles and whatnot). That was my personal experience with minoxidil and I have no interest in using that stuff ever again.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
True, sorry about that -- some people do seem immune to that (developing wrinkles and whatnot). That was my personal experience with minoxidil and I have no interest in using that stuff ever again.
Sorry for your bad experience. I've been on minoxidil for a solid year and a half and I havent got any wrinkles/skin aging, not even the bad shed everyone talks about here.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for your bad experience. I've been on minoxidil for a solid year and a half and I havent got any wrinkles/skin aging, not even the bad shed everyone talks about here.

You’re like 17 though