Minoxidil 15%: Where Do You Guys Get It? Good/bad Experiences?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm still between a Norwood 2 and three (closer to a three). Slowly, and very slowly is my hairline coming back.

The only real gains I made were with my 3 "V" hair. The density has REALLY come back on my vertex, and hair on top of my head.

Believe me, it's ONLY because of the medications I use on my hair. Latanoprost is expensive. It's only .003 (you heard that right, .003) in the formula I use. Also, the Finasteride and Progesterone (both topical) do most of the work. I really have to admit that.

Latanoprost is twenty dollars, and is a supplement in Promox.

The trick is, I use 15% morning (Promox), which is more of a liquid (still a lotion), all over my scalp. Then, I put on 30% either morning or night, on myh hairline and vertex. The 30% is really GREAT HIGH QUALITY STUFF. Susan Mernstein (Murray Avenue Acotherpy) makes that. I would never quit Susan's stuff, it's SO GOOD. But it's very thick.

So, if you have good density, and are mild diffuse, Promox. But for my bald areas (low density), I can't tell you how much Susan's stuff has helped me.

They are both hair GROWTH medications, NOT ANTIANDROGENS (except topical finasteride and Progesterone), so I don't want to give people the wrong idea. I think Latanoprost and Minoxidil will grow hair faster, but that's it.

I want @Pasbrillantebrunette to read this since she had to go off her oral meds...maybe this can be new information.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hair actually grows quickly...my hair is actually down to my bra in back when i pull it straight lol...but I would like more density on my top scalp especially towards front first few inches. its like my hair line is intact but right behind my hair lien is where hair loss got me the most-in the center part..and i would love more density right in that from few inches towards middle..

I got improvement in this area from minoxidil 5% foam 1x a day as directed--but would like more density in this area.

I dont know if stronger minoxidil would help that...

My dermatologist said to me other day she has a stronger strength minoxidil compound with retinol and something else (I cant remember I have to ask her again) BUT its liquid..I kind of like the foam cosmetically...but considering it.

My hair transplant Dr who i consulted with but who also monitors me with treatments etc--he has me on a topical spironolactone with some other stuff in it (estrodail, but the weaker kind) caffeine and melatonin..that helped I think..BUT I definitely need more help in that anti-androgen area..so I wrote to him and asked if I can add his male blend which has topical finasteride in it...He may/may not I am not sure..Doctors may be reluctant with women who still ovulate because of malpractice or afraid of lawsuits.

Awesome info R Clark. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

hairblues I thought this might interest you.
https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/re...a-a-case-report-and-review-of-the-literature/

Dr. Bernstein is right in the city and the fact that this page is on his site implies that maybe he'd at least consider finasteride for you.

Good doctor.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplants are very expensive, and let's be honest, doctor's who do them get 10,000 dollars. That's quite a lot.

Topical Finasteride is just as good, if not slightly better, than oral. In fact, MERK is patenting, possibly even putting
out topical Finasteride.

But I want to you to really consider this. spironolactone has been shown to be very effective in women (topical). Promox will put that in, and
so will medical wellness center www.medicalwellnesscenter.com. They won't prescribe spironolactone to men, only to women. spironolactone IS more effective, and has been proven in goverment/international studies (nilbh), to be more effective than Progesterone in women.

Progesterone has been shown to be effective in both women and men, but less in men (one ratio has half, one a third of males).

However, it is NOT as effective in men as in women. That said, you CAN get topical FINASTERIDE very easily from Regenere, get
the Promox solution.

Medical Wellness Center also would give it to you, along with Latanoprost (separately though). Regenere will mix the Latonoprost
in your solution.

In my own opinion, I think Susan's formula is top in quality, and is surperior to everything I used. But, her stuff is more epensive. Regenere is 110 - 137 dollars per 110 milligrams. Susan's is 99.00 for 60 milligrams.

Susan is an EXPERT compound pharmacist. Keep that in mind. She has been willing to make things for me that I often read about, in news about hair loss.

Regenere has good sales/support people, but you cannot communicate directly with their compound pharmacy in Florida. Susan's stuff is closer to you, and is in Pittsburg PA.

Thanks I am definitely going to keep this in mind! :)
@Pasbrillantebrunette

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/re...a-a-case-report-and-review-of-the-literature/

Dr. Bernstein is right in the city and the fact that this page is on his site implies that maybe he'd at least consider finasteride for you.

Good doctor.

Topical Finasteride is just as good. When I started using it, my hair stopped falling out. When I combined it with Progesterone, not only did it stop falling out, but I am gradually regaining my density/hairline back.

Merk is patenting topical Finasteride. That said, it's almost the same as oral. It's just a difference of a few percentage points. They're both
very good at permanent regrowth of hair. Much better than Minoxidil, sorry but science proves it.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Good doctor.

Thank you :)
I had/do consider him..I see a Dr who is comparable reputation here in City he is often mentioned on threads..I can PM you if you want to know his name..I have a good report with him so far and he has not steered me wrong--I just wrote and asked if he will put me on topical finasteride I am hesitant to take orals 'yet'. I might in few months time start.

I know Dr B for a visit is $500 and the Dr I see he is half that and he takes my emails when I have questions and does not charge me additional for this...I think Dr B is someone I would go to when I want to get advice if I should do a hair transplant as a second opinion..Or even if I decide to take orals i might go to him to get his opinion.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplants are very expensive, and let's be honest, doctor's who do them get 10,000 dollars. That's quite a lot.

Topical Finasteride is just as good, if not slightly better, than oral. In fact, MERK is patenting, possibly even putting
out topical Finasteride.

But I want to you to really consider this. spironolactone has been shown to be very effective in women (topical). Promox will put that in, and
so will medical wellness center www.medicalwellnesscenter.com. They won't prescribe spironolactone to men, only to women. spironolactone IS more effective, and has been proven in goverment/international studies (nilbh), to be more effective than Progesterone in women.

Progesterone has been shown to be effective in both women and men, but less in men (one ratio has half, one a third of males).

However, it is NOT as effective in men as in women. That said, you CAN get topical FINASTERIDE very easily from Regenere, get
the Promox solution.

Medical Wellness Center also would give it to you, along with Latanoprost (separately though). Regenere will mix the Latonoprost
in your solution.

In my own opinion, I think Susan's formula is top in quality, and is surperior to everything I used. But, her stuff is more epensive. Regenere is 110 - 137 dollars per 110 milligrams. Susan's is 99.00 for 60 milligrams.

Susan is an EXPERT compound pharmacist. Keep that in mind. She has been willing to make things for me that I often read about, in news about hair loss.

Regenere has good sales/support people, but you cannot communicate directly with their compound pharmacy in Florida. Susan's stuff is closer to you, and is in Pittsburg PA.

Topical Finasteride is just as good. When I started using it, my hair stopped falling out. When I combined it with Progesterone, not only did it stop falling out, but I am gradually regaining my density/hairline back.

Merk is patenting topical Finasteride. That said, it's almost the same as oral. It's just a difference of a few percentage points. They're both
very good at permanent regrowth of hair. Much better than Minoxidil, sorry but science proves it.

This is all great information--thanks so much.

I am on topical spironolactone I think add-on of finasteride would be fantastic..I will also speak to my Dr's about topical progesterone see what he thinks.
I know some of the menopausal women use progesterone as hormone replacement and they have regrowth.

I was considering it as a birth control pill--but its a controversial BCP it is higher chance of blood clots and I am over 40 so that concerns me..if I was younger I would not be worried as much because no family history and I would just be cognizant of how i reacted..I am still open to it but would prefer topicals if they work.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I am on topical spironolactone I think add-on of finasteride would be fantastic..I will also speak to my Dr's about topical progesterone see what he thinks.
I know some of the menopausal women use progesterone as hormone replacement and they have regrowth.

I was considering it as a birth control pill--but its a controversial BCP it is higher chance of blood clots and I am over 40 so that concerns me..if I was younger I would not be worried as much because no family history and I would just be cognizant of how i reacted..I am still open to it but would prefer topicals if they work.

Just google Promox.

It took me ten minutes to call and do an order, and they were done. They have thirty phycisians working for them.

I was shocked of how easy it was.

www.medicalwellnesscenter.com is excellent as well. If you continue with them, you get to speak with Susan, the pharmacy owner.

There's really nothing she can't make. And if you ask here, she will investigate it and get back to you, with a yes or no answer in days.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Good doctor.

that case is a bit interesting because she had had hysterectomy...And her hair loss for 1 year seems severe from her photo..and her face looked hairy for a woman....I wonder if her hormones shifted in response to the hysterectomy..but sounds like her levels were normal.

My issue is if i go on oral meds for anti androgen I most likely have to go on the higher risk birth control pill in addition EVEN THOUGH i have NO intention of having kids at 45 LOL I mean its kind of ridiculous..BUT also with spironolactone when i took it orally it actually made my period irregular in a potentially dangers way..It would not come 'down' flow would not 'flow' LOL it just sat inside me...so this is dangers because it can lead to cancerous cells if too long...I had this for like 3 months and I was only on spironolactone for 2 weeks...so I am sensitive to it effecting my period in this negative manner and would have to take with the ethanol estradiol (an estrogen) and drospirenone (a progestin) hormones that are higher risk for blood clots and DVT. I think its like 3 x the risk BUT I am in an even higher risk pool due to my age over 40.

Its a lot to think about...No matter how you cut it for most people treating hair loss is so complex.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just google Promox.

It took me ten minutes to call and do an order, and they were done. They have thirty phycisians working for them.

I was shocked of how easy it was.

www.medicalwellnesscenter.com is excellent as well. If you continue with them, you get to speak with Susan, the pharmacy owner.

There's really nothing she can't make. And if you ask here, she will investigate it and get back to you, with a yes or no answer in days.

I just want to check with my Doctors--they are both honest and not fear mongers..Also since he sells the product it is just preferable to buy from someone who is treating me.

BUT if he is limited or feels he cant I am going to look into it more via your information.

I also want to run the topical progesterone idea by my Gynecologist who I see next month. He may just prescribe me a cream that my insurance covers if it's not dangerous for me.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thank you :)
I had/do consider him..I see a Dr who is comparable reputation here in City he is often mentioned on threads..I can PM you if you want to know his name..I have a good report with him so far and he has not steered me wrong--I just wrote and asked if he will put me on topical finasteride I am hesitant to take orals 'yet'. I might in few months time start.

I know Dr B for a visit is $500 and the Dr I see he is half that and he takes my emails when I have questions and does not charge me additional for this...I think Dr B is someone I would go to when I want to get advice if I should do a hair transplant as a second opinion..Or even if I decide to take orals i might go to him to get his opinion.

I did see Dr. B, once... actually I think it was more in the $200 range. Definitely not $500. Could have been because it was the first visit.

Ha, I was thinking about seeing him again next time I'm in NY. If I decide to, and it turns out that its $500 then I may well ask you for your doctors name! Dont want to spend $500 to hear the same thing he said last time... which was that using finasteride and minoxidil together is the way to go. (He didnt think i was a good candidate for a transplant, which is true... not necessary, too much hair for that.)

FWIW I have the impression that he's once of the leading experts in the world on hair loss. Sounds like your Doctor is too... NY is good for that sort of thing. :D

And yeah Mr. Clark for sure finasteride is more effective than minoxidil, you speak the truth, science does prove it.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
...However, it is NOT as effective in men as in women. That said, you CAN get topical FINASTERIDE very easily from Regenere, get
the Promox solution.

in your solution.

I ordered some Promox with the finasteride and Latanoprost from Regenere thanks to your previous recommendation, @rclark. Can't wait to try it! Also, I'm using Med Wellness 15%, might up that to the 30%, not sure yet. Sadly, I was a poor responder to the 2% & 5% Min in the past.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi! If you don't mind answering. How long did you use finasteride before starting progesterone and how long after using progesterone did you notice regrowth?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi! If you don't mind answering. How long did you use finasteride before starting progesterone and how long after using progesterone did you notice regrowth?

Since January 2015, I believe. But I used Finasteride before then. The Progesterone started regrowing my hair back.

Now I don't even shed like a non balding person. I only lose a few hairs in a week.

Kevand

Established Member
Reaction score
Since January 2015, I believe. But I used Finasteride before then. The Progesterone started regrowing my hair back.

Now I don't even shed like a non balding person. I only lose a few hairs in a week.

If you could give me some sort of timeline. For how long did you use finasteride before starting progesterone? And how long after you started progesterone did you notice regrowth?

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Bioidentical , micronized progesterone doesn't elevate the risks of blood clots... it's medroxyprogesterone ( a synthetic progestin) that does that, plus a whole lot of other bad stuff... basically poison.
Doctors are way behind the times on this issue and only remember a flawed study from the 1990s that condemned all forms of progesterone but only tested medroxy.... kinda needs a car analogy here: it's like saying all Chevys are slow and handle poorly, but never testing a Corvette.

Also ethinyl estradiol is very bad stuff too. Poison.

The trans HRT community now has over 15 years of experience with bio-identical micronizedprogesterone (e.g. Prometrium , Microgest, etc) and it actually helps prevent breast cancer from high estrogen, lowers the incidence of deep vein thrombosis, inhibits DHT and fosters hair growth.

Similarly, only bio-identical estradiol, is the only form of estrogen you want. Especially intramuscular injected estradiol valerate is the safest and most effective. The synthetic estrogests and conjugated estrogests are dangerous.

The trans community has been guinea pigs testing these things for decades now, but doctors are only beginning to recognize the real results, and still test to cling to long-outdated, debunked studies.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bioidentical , micronized progesterone doesn't elevate the risks of blood clots... it's medroxyprogesterone ( a synthetic progestin) that does that, plus a whole lot of other bad stuff... basically poison.
Doctors are way behind the times on this issue and only remember a flawed study from the 1990s that condemned all forms of progesterone but only tested medroxy.... kinda needs a car analogy here: it's like saying all Chevys are slow and handle poorly, but never testing a Corvette.

Also ethinyl estradiol is very bad stuff too. Poison.

The trans HRT community now has over 15 years of experience with bio-identical micronizedprogesterone (e.g. Prometrium , Microgest, etc) and it actually helps prevent breast cancer from high estrogen, lowers the incidence of deep vein thrombosis, inhibits DHT and fosters hair growth.

Similarly, only bio-identical estradiol, is the only form of estrogen you want. Especially intramuscular injected estradiol valerate is the safest and most effective. The synthetic estrogests and conjugated estrogests are dangerous.

The trans community has been guinea pigs testing these things for decades now, but doctors are only beginning to recognize the real results, and still test to cling to long-outdated, debunked studies.

Thank you so much for your reply (@Pasbrillantebrunette )
This is fantastic information!!! I really appreciate it. I have wanted to ask you and Lacey questions about this because I assumed you probably know a lot more than most people.

These are prescriptions I guess?
micronizedprogesterone
bio-identical estradiol

What kind of Dr do you see for your hormones? Endo? I wonder if I should go to an Endo who is well versed in transgender and that probably has given them knowledge what to do with women over 40.

My Gyno is VERY cool if I bring him information about various things..I will definitely discuss it with him but the Endos I have seen so far have been disappointing to be honest.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some general physicians are aware now of the differences in synthetic v bioidentical and the effects yet they still poo-poo the benefits and seldom prescribe, I have found. Other docs like Pamela W. Smith, MD,MPH, MS, in the US and Thierry Hertogue, MD in Belgium have been on top of the curve for years.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I already have progesterone in my minoxidil. IDK if I should take it orally too for hair ???
Also I know about bio-identical estradiol but it does not solve the gain weight I suppose. But maybe it would be a good Idea to add bio identical estradiol topically. IDK...

But does intramuscular injected estradiol valerate + microgest would help with hair loss if you have normal hormonal profil? Also, would it result un weight gain @Ruby? I was taking spironolactone 100 mg and it made me gain a lot of Weight. Diane did too... So iDK what else to try orally that would help hair without giving me weight gain...
Thank you. And thank you @hairblues.

yeah these are great points.

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply (@Pasbrillantebrunette )
This is fantastic information!!! I really appreciate it. I have wanted to ask you and Lacey questions about this because I assumed you probably know a lot more than most people.

These are prescriptions I guess?
micronizedprogesterone
bio-identical estradiol

What kind of Dr do you see for your hormones? Endo? I wonder if I should go to an Endo who is well versed in transgender and that probably has given them knowledge what to do with women over 40.

My Gyno is VERY cool if I bring him information about various things..I will definitely discuss it with him but the Endos I have seen so far have been disappointing to be honest.
PM sent

Ruby

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But does intramuscular injected estradiol valerate + microgest would help with hair loss if you have normal hormonal profil? Also, would it result un weight gain @Ruby? I was taking spironolactone 100 mg and it made me gain a lot of Weight. Diane did too... So iDK what else to try orally that would help hair without giving me weight gain...
Thank you. And thank you @hairblues.

Spironolactone causes accumulation of belly fat, and worse... visceral fat around your internal organs. Estradiol levels do affect your metabolism. If your free estradiol natural levels are in the mid-normal to high- normal range for a biological female, supplemental estradiol wouldn't likely do you much good but if low , then it may help. Being a bio female, you have to keep in mind the possibility of elevated breast cancer risk from too high estrogen levels, but it's been demonstrated now that bio-identical progesterone helps to reduce or even eliminate that cancer risk because it acts to moderate how the free estradiol in your body gets used / bound to estrogen receptors. Progesterone also reduces the risk of DVT/clots due to too much estradiol getting converted into estrone sulfate which is the actual culprit in causing clots.

P.S. Diane is poison and ought to be banned.
In the MtF Trans discussion forum on Facebook that I frequent... there seems to be a general consensus that I.M. Injected estradiol and progesterone do not contribute to weight gain outside of (in MtFs) slowing metabolish down from male levels, and not feeling much energy due to the now having severe lack of testosterone. In fact some trans women are prescribed small doses of testosterone supplements to bring their energy back up, and the progesterone helps to inhibit DHT to battle the hairloss problem because some free testosterone actually helps hair grow... but to want to keep it from turning into DHT. It's all an intricate and intertwined complex mess of endocrine system hacking and tinkering...

Last edited: