Microneedling for Hair Loss. (WOW very interesting study)

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Again, full text would be great.If I am reading this right, rolling is better than minoxidil alone

Abstract​

Background: Microneedling is a relatively novel therapeutic modality introduced in the 1990s where small, fine needles are used to create micro punctures in the skin. It is a minimally invasive procedure used for various dermatological conditions, including androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).
Objective and methods: We comprehensively summarize the literature regarding microneedling in dermatology. We performed linear multivariable regressions to synthesize evidence from the clinical trials that investigated the efficacy of microneedling for Androgenetic Alopecia. Studies eligible for quantitative analyses were assessed for evidence quality.
Results: The exact mechanism of microneedling action is yet to be determined, with theories that include the wound-healing cascade. Microneedling monotherapy significantly increased total hair count more than topical minoxidil 5% (β = 12.29; p < 0.001). The combination treatment of microneedling with topical 5% minoxidil increased total hair count significantly compared to monotherapy with microneedling (β = 7.63, p < 0.05). Increasing the overall treatment duration of microneedling and reducing the frequency of microneedling sessions may positively influence an increase in total hair count.
Conclusion: There are limited studies that investigate microneedling as a monotherapy for hair loss since majority of the trials combine it with other therapies such as topical minoxidil or platelet-rich plasma. While preliminary results look promising, further investigation of microneedling as a monotherapy in larger, randomized controlled trials will help determine its safety and efficacy, and place in treating Androgenetic Alopecia.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is interesting.

I've always assumed that when people advise you to add needling if you're a minoxidil non-responder, that it was the rolling that added the benefits on not the minoxidil since it would have 0 effect on the enzyme on the scalp.

Even more interesting is that they imply that needling at a lesser frequency produces better results.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is interesting.

I've always assumed that when people advise you to add needling if you're a minoxidil non-responder, that it was the rolling that added the benefits on not the minoxidil since it would have 0 effect on the enzyme on the scalp.

Even more interesting is that they imply that needling at a lesser frequency produces better results.

Hellhouser had a post up showing all the things going on with healing and inflammation was still present(IIRC) at day 14. Wounding less than 14 days just creates an endless inflammation loop and might be why some don't ever get results?

At least for wrinkles about 1 time per month with 1.5 MM:

The depth of neocollagenesis has been found to be 5–600 µm with a 1.5 mm length needle. Histological examination of the skin treated with 4 microneedling sessions 1 month apart shows upto 400% increase in collagen and elastin deposition at 6 months postoperatively, with a thickened stratum spinosum and normal rete ridges at 1 year postoperatively.[10] Collagen fibre bundles appear to have a normal lattice pattern rather than parallel bundles as in scar tissue.[6]

Skin rejuvenation:
The effects are enhanced when the procedure is combined with topical antiageing vitamin C serum and tretinoin application.

Here is another study using a laser for the wounding at they are at 2 week intervals:

The wound healing process associated with this treatment is believed to be due to the stimulation of hair regrowth
They received 12 treatments at 2-week intervals.

Another one:

Six sessions with 2-week intervals were performed

All the patients were subjected to microneedling procedure weekly for 4 sessions initially and then fortnightly for subsequent 11 sessions. The total duration of microneedling treatment lasted for 24 weeks.

At the end of 18 months of follow up, all patients had maintained the same response that was achieved at the end of last session of microneedling.

GOOD NEWS IS: they maintained their gains for at least 1 year past microneedling ended(18 months -24 weeks of treatment)

Table of different microneedling regimens and intervals:

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Microneedling alone has been tried by a lot of guys on this forum with no results
The cycle for every new study seems to be exactly the same. People point out that guys on a forum who have aggressive hairloss tried it and it "didn't work", when in reality these same people try things loosely and don't see new hairs on their hairline in 6 weeks so they claim it's useless and quit.

In reality, you're not going to be able to really tell when dermarolling done correctly increased your density by 5-10%.

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is a video of just microneedling done. Look at around 3:05 and 5:50.

Look at 5:50 in this video. Very light regimen with just Nizoral and zinc and scalp massages.
At 7:30 just microneedling and L-carnitine:

Last edited:

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatever the mathematical comparisons, I don’t see any major regrowth. It’s good to do… And I’ve tried it about 10 different ways; it’s negligible at best. Take this hype with a grain of salt… Seems somebody fishing for clicks

Reactions: 300

OtyMac

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whatever the mathematical comparisons, I don’t see any major regrowth. It’s good to do… And I’ve tried it about 10 different ways; it’s negligible at best. Take this hype with a grain of salt… Seems somebody fishing for clicks
Hahahaha....if you think I am affiliated with Hairliciously. :)

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Min or no Min?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
"I didn't respond so it's crap"

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
The most effective treatment is the follica protocol. It's so hard to do though

OnlyTruths

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what is the consensus on optimal frequency and length?
Follica is ideal as pegasus said, but difficult to reach in an at home setting because of the wounds per cm^2 they call for. I think most of the studies I've seen and most of the people who got good anecdotal results were done at between 1-1.5mm 2x/month (so every 2 weeks).

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
According to the picture I attached of the timeline of what happens during wound healing, I would think it's best to needle at 1.5mm just once a month.

Those 2 popular hair surgeons from Australia recommend Microneedling on wet hair, because wet hair helps to clump together the hair (which dry hair can often seem to be a problem if one has medium to long length hair due to the volume) making it easier to reach the surface area of the scalp and easier to see the surface area of the scalp with flattened wet hair.

[ @ 08:50 mins into the video in link above]

What are you guys thoughts on this Microneedling on wet hair? I feel like Microneedling on wet hair is risky as it might cause the Derma Pen to pull on the hair and possibly the root may come out? Similar concept to how they say don't comb wet hair as it could pull out the root on weak hairs.

Also, how long do you guys think a Microneedling session should take for the entire top of the scalp including the hairline?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210919_154906_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210919_154906_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

thatslin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been doing weekly derma-rolling with 1.5mm needles for a month and it makes my scalp very itchy which never happened before. I think it might be a sigh of growth. However the shedding is still insane so far.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
According to the picture I attached of the timeline of what happens during wound healing, I would think it's best to needle at 1.5mm just once a month.
I've been needling on and off since 2014. The only time I had any significant hair growth was when I was rolling incredibly hard (to the point of drawing blood) every 3 weeks. I was using a 1.5mm derma roller btw.