Male, 18 - Am I balding

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad had alopecia areata when he was the same age as me, and he's saying it looks like that. I'm so confused, I wish that I could visit a trichologist so I could find out what is wrong

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could probably try saw palmetto, an herbal supplement that can be found at most drug stores. It operates like a weak version of finasteride. There's also castor oil.

And yeah I think that dermarolling can definitely induce shedding. If you aren't using a topical, then it would probably take more time to see regrowth too.

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could probably try saw palmetto, an herbal supplement that can be found at most drug stores. It operates like a weak version of finasteride. There's also castor oil.

And yeah I think that dermarolling can definitely induce shedding. If you aren't using a topical, then it would probably take more time to see regrowth too.
Right thanks, I'll definitely do that, my hairs also been really dandruffy since I dermarolled, I wasn't expecting a shed this big to happen from just one session

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if shock loss from a dermaroller is possible. 1.5mm btw

This is actually what I was implying that caused your sudden shedding (shock loss).

Also, it depends on how you're Derma rolling - your technique. You're not meant to drag across. And then the quality of the Derma roller will also have an effect. The cheaper ones will naturally give more problems than the Dr Pen.

I linked a video quite some time back, in this thread, on the difference between using a Derma roller and a Derma pen.

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is actually what I was implying that caused your sudden shedding (shock loss).

Also, it depends on how you're Derma rolling - your technique. You're not meant to drag across. And then the quality of the Derma roller will also have an effect. The cheaper ones will naturally give more problems than the Dr Pen.

I linked a video quite some time back, in this thread, on the difference between using a Derma roller and a Derma pen.
I'm 18, do you really think I can afford a DermaPen? This is ridiculous man, all these things I'm trying are making my hair worse. I now have a massive bald patch on my crown from the shedding that the dermarolling caused. I'm talking to a doctor on Friday, I'm getting a Finasteride prescription, and hopefully I won't have to think about hair loss again for some time.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 18, do you really think I can afford a DermaPen? This is ridiculous man, all these things I'm trying are making my hair worse. I now have a massive bald patch on my crown from the shedding that the dermarolling caused. I'm talking to a doctor on Friday, I'm getting a Finasteride prescription, and hopefully I won't have to think about hair loss again for some time.

I did not assume money would be an issue for you because one of your parents is a doctor, so I assumed you get a decent amount of spending money per month. You could save up whatever spending money you get and also try to take up some holiday job/side hustle that can help you earn the money for a Dermapen. In a few months you could possibly have enough money if you work at it.

There's plenty of teenagers your age which do whatever it takes to get the money they need for whatever they want. If you want the best bad enough, you will have to look at finding a side job. There's even online jobs that don't require work experience. Just do your research.

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still can't believe how much hair I shedded due to one dermarolling session. I don't even know if it will grow back? I wish I never tried it, o never would have done it if I knew that it could make hair so much worse, I'm seriously depressed again rn, I'm gonna start taking finasteride and min, hopefully that will help it grow back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-20-23-23-39-97_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-20-23-23-39-97_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2021-01-20-23-24-32-45_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-20-23-24-32-45_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 64

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did not assume money would be an issue for you because one of your parents is a doctor, so I assumed you get a decent amount of spending money per month. You could save up whatever spending money you get and also try to take up some holiday job/side hustle that can help you earn the money for a Dermapen. In a few months you could possibly have enough money if you work at it.

There's plenty of teenagers your age which do whatever it takes to get the money they need for whatever they want. If you want the best bad enough, you will have to look at finding a side job. There's even online jobs that don't require work experience. Just do your research.
I don't get spending money and I got fired from my part time job. As we're in the middle of a lockdown, it is very unlikely I will be able to find a job.

Anyway, this is beside the point. Thanks to your amazing advice about dermarolling, I now have an enormous thinning spot on my crown. You should stop running around this forum telling everyone to put oils, dermaroll and alpecin shampoo in their hair, and you should stop fear mongering about Minoxidil and Finasteride.

Also, crown is now so bad, and my hair so thin that my parents have noticed, and finally agree to get me some help, so maybe you ended up helping me with that. They've agreed that I can take Finasteride and Minoxidil, as long as a dermatologist agrees.

I'm now ignoring your messages, because you've been of no help to me, I only considered dermarolling after you brought it up to me.

It has now accelerated the shedding, and it's finally stopped, the hairs I was losing were thick and healthy, not minaturised.

My hair is now much thinner than it was literally a week ago, because I'm pretty sure I've put my hair in some state of shock loss after dermarolling

I'm now considering buying toppik till I get my finasteride prescription, because of how bad it was.

I should've never listened to some random quack on the internet who's going around fear mongering about Finasteride, telling people not to masturbate, because it somehow increases DHT, but only at random points and when people are "susceptible." Honestly, I was close to buying alpecin shampoo, so glad I didn't because I would've wasted my money on something useless again.

Honestly, I now find it funny how you told me Finasteride "doesn't really work for a receding hairline" when you're telling me to use alpecin.

Even if I get sides from Finasteride, I will continue using it now, as I cannot deal with the psychological stress of having worse hair than my 60 year old dad at 18.

I'm in a big depression right now, because my hair is so much worse than it was just a month ago and I found this site.

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It looks fine tbh using flash on your camera makes things appear worse then it seems. Is that your crown area? It looks like the back of your head I thought crown was on top of head.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermarolling by itself isn't the best idea because you may not be able to keep up with the healing and regrowth process without something like minoxidil, another topical, something like castor oil, or even finasteride.

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks fine tbh using flash on your camera makes things appear worse then it seems. Is that your crown area? It looks like the back of your head I thought crown was on top of head.
Nah, it's defo the crown, and these both are with flash, and they're just a week a part. I used to just have a cowlick, now I have some crater

Attachments

• keeps_parts_of_the_head.png
    keeps_parts_of_the_head.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG20210118012533.jpg
    IMG20210118012533.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG20210111141807.jpg
    IMG20210111141807.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG20210118085033.jpg
    IMG20210118085033.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 68

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermarolling by itself isn't the best idea because you may not be able to keep up with the healing and regrowth process without something like minoxidil, another topical, something like castor oil, or even finasteride.
Yeah I've figured that out now, thanks, I knew it had gone wrong when the hairs that were falling out were thick and strongly pigmented. I think I got shock loss on the entire area where I rolled

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How likely do you think it is that these hairs will regrow?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one knows if you will see regrowth. That said, there's probably a good chance. The general rule is, if you've lost recently you can regain quickly too, provided that the treatment is appropriate.

Nebula74

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one knows if you will see regrowth. That said, there's probably a good chance. The general rule is, if you've lost recently you can regain quickly too, provided that the treatment is appropriate.
Yeah, I have hope they'll come back because the hairs I shed weren't minaturised, it was more like shock loss. I'm going to a dermatologist to get my scalp checked out before I do anything else though, because the thinning is quite bad now