Lowering Finasteride Dosage - No Side Effects

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
If you get sides on any dose, they will eventually catch up with you. I've tried every dosage imaginable, even topical...Its inevitable. might seem ok now but it wont take long.

Sides are not mangeable so long as you are on the drug. The longer you are on it the longer it will take to recover also, if you recover.

sirigaita

Reaction score
finfighter said:
ponder said:
finfighter said:
I know that you don't get side effects per se, but do you still get regular morning erections?

Hi finasteride, actually I still do, thinking back to it they're around periods of time when I'm not stressed with good rest, and I didn't, um, how do you say, "clean the pipes" the night before, so nothing unusual. I'm 30, I wouldn't say they're as overpowering as they were in my 20's, but I still get them given those conditions.

By the way, I've read your posts frequently around the forum, I'd like to thank you for all the information you provide backed up with data, helps us all make relatively more informed decisions. In fact a lot of the stuff you wrote is what's causing me to be a bit more prudent from here on out, coupled with the recent media coverage.

Well if you still get morning erections than that's a really good sign, a lot of guys who use finasteride no longer get morning erections, even the ones who don't notice side effects. If you want to try a smaller dose of .25 or .5 per day go for it.

i noticed that ive lost morning erection taking 1mg.

MWDdog

Reaction score
I havent said much on here but I am in the same boat and thought id get involved with this post. I have had very good hair results on finasteride over the last 4 years. Unfortunately reoccurring side effects (sexual sides and I lost all drive, ambition and creativity) became too much of an issue.

I am now cutting back to .5 and seeing how it goes for the next 2 months. I am on the big three and might throw spironolactone into the mix to accompany the finasteride. Ill keep you up to date.

Bobbers2011

Reaction score
Just thought I would add to the mix on this.

Quit finasteride in Jan after about 10 years on it, during which time I experimented with a range of doses having initially started on 1mg per day.

Sides eventually took their toll so I reduced to 0.5mg per day

then they caught up again so I reduced again to 0.5mg eod

but then I still wasnt happy and still having sexual issues so in Jan I gave up for good. I remember having a couple of short spells off it in the past of around a few weeks and then re-starting again. My experience is that even with really low doses the sides still get you, but they are less prominent with the lower doses.

Experience since being off it for nearly 2 months now has been fantastic! I feel alive again, simply put. I've realised that I was experiencing sides that I didn't even recognise but looking back now I know I had, very similar to the stuff posted by 7up. It effects your mental state much more than everyone recognises, after all DHT is such a powerful hormone of course its going to have a major effect on your body by suppressing it.

Sexual performance has gone through the roof, thank god the sides weren't permanent, I feel like I'm almost 100% back now after 2 months off, it took a good few weeks to get to a point where I felt happy with things. My GF has noticed and asked me the other day if I'd been taking anything to make me horny when we were having sex!

Got some topical spironolactone gonna give that a go and would consider some other proven topicals, possibly Revivogen but I'm a bit skeptical about the topicals TBH. If they don't work c'est la vie, I'll be in the gym 3 times a week and have a close shave once a week. No way I am going back now after how good I feel, although I do feel like the hair loss is coming and that does bother me but I reckon I need to just accept it and get on with enjoying life, so many worse things that can happen to you including the sides from taking finasteride.

skyblue777

Reaction score
I am so glad this topic has been brought up. I have been on 1mg propecia for almost 8 year. Yes at first I rember my libido increase then tapered off. My erection are there but not so hot. Right now my sex drive is non existant, I figured it was my age approching 44. But when I take libido enhancing suplement I feel the diffrence. I have playing with the idea of cutting back and these posting confim it even more. I was wondering if we take a topical finside will that help when we cut back propecia?

thanks for the info i dont feel like i am the only one with no sex drive. I want to feel like a man not a unic.

Bobbers2011

Reaction score
Cheers Finfighter man appreciate your help dude

I've read a few posts on that new cb & ru stuff, sounds positive, need to read more tho, how confident in it are you?

Read stuff about having to mix it with stuff, sounds complex, I'm no scientist! If its the real deal worth a go tho. I'm persevering with this spironolactone for now but not much faith in it tbh. Its scary how much I feel like I've lost in 2 months & no finasteride! More than I have in 10 yrs! Hope that stuff is as effective! Or were screwed! I hate finasteride so much but it tempts u back cos it works so well, need a decent cheap no hassle alternative PDQ!

Bobbers2011

Reaction score
Just read that report on the clinical trials on CB sounds decent stuff.

Where are you getting yours from finfighter & how much are you paying?

Would be good to get some links if a web purchase & also links on how to get the vehicle mixers

Any reports on whether it is greasy when applied or does it soak in well?

Cheers

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
Good thread and read.

Ive been on 0.25 for past 2 years, and I noticed it still effects me my libido is still a notch down and yeah if I dont take my finasteride for a few days I do feel alot more perky.

Ive also noticed my brain is in a somewhat slumber and lazy that could just be lack of sleep or the finasteride im not sure its there definatly...

Since my hair loss has got worser and hasnt been maintained much if any improvement on the big 3 over the past 3 years im simply toying with the idea of cutting the whole lot and just leave nizoral + cafeene based shampoo into the mix, id definatly welcome back my horney mode and get rid of the dark circles around my eyes personaly.

In fact think ill make the bold move and quit it all and see how I go over the next few weeks :)

guy12345

Reaction score
I am 3 moth on 0,25 finasteride, and for now I have only improvement in thickening hair, decrease shedding but no regrowth, and temples are much bigger than 3 months ago (probably from some mechanic rubbing folligen and mico cream)
Anyone has regrowth with 0,25 or less than 0,5 finasteride?

hihoum123

Reaction score
i've been on finasterid (1.25g) , and minoxidil (5%) for more then 3 years now,
i've been experiencing some sexual side effects, especially problems getting hard erection,
i've tried 0.8 gr for more then 2 months, but it doesn't seem to help with my side effects,
i'm now trying with 0.6gr, and i'll give my feed back soon,

Rashan

Reaction score
hihoum123 said:
i've been on finasterid (1.25g) , and minoxidil (5%) for more then 3 years now,
i've been experiencing some sexual side effects, especially problems getting hard erection,
i've tried 0.8 gr for more then 2 months, but it doesn't seem to help with my side effects,
i'm now trying with 0.6gr, and i'll give my feed back soon,
It took me 5-6 years for my sides to completely go away, and I stuck with finasteride everyday for the past 13+ years taking 1-1.25mg daily.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=66174&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

salikhan

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum :)

I have been on 0.25mg Finasteride, daily, for close to 2 months now. I haven't had any side effects till now, and this is my first time giving Finasteride a shot. My libido and errection are just the way they were before. I do get slight anxiety fits after reading propeciahelp.com.

The only thing I noticed was a slight/mild burning sensation on my skin, which went away with daily use of moisturizer and vitamin E oil.

Anyways, I will keep you guys posted how 0.25 is working. For now I am just shedding alot. I might increase it to 0.33 in a month from now.

Best,

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is an interesting thread on Hairlosstalk:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess ... erthread=y

Take a read. Given the flat dose response to Finasteride, taking anything more than 0.2mg/day is inhibiting DHT just as much as 1mg, meaning side effects should be seen exactly the same at both dosages. This strongly suggests that people who experience less side effects at a lower dose are benefiting from the placebo effect. This also explains why people have the same benefits at lower dosages.

On the other side of the coin, if you do experience legitimate symptoms from finasteride at a high dose, cutting it down won't help you out either.

spss

Reaction score
Given the flat dose response to Finasteride, taking anything more than 0.2mg/day is inhibiting DHT just as much as 1mg, meaning side effects should be seen exactly the same at both dosages. This strongly suggests that people who experience less side effects at a lower dose are benefiting from the placebo effect. This also explains why people have the same benefits at lower dosages.

having taken finasteride for over 3 years and having reduced the dose to 0.5 mg for about 3 months i can tell you this is not true.

At 0.5 mg i started losing hair again, and the bald spot on my head is clearly not a placebo effect. my libido was back normal for about 2 weeks, then it went sh*t again. clearly there is a difference between 0.5 and 1, unless i can think myself into losing hair :)

7up

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I found this old thread having posted early on in this thread before becoming slack with the updates.

The bottom line on my experiences since giving up to date is that while my libido has crawled back slowly over the months, it hasn't returned to anything like the level it was at before.

Whereas pre-finasteride I was masturbating 5-10 times a week, I will now 'happily' go weeks and presumably months without wanting sex from my girlfriend, and that's put a lot of stress on our presumably terminal relationship.
Spanking the monkey 2-3 times a week these days, tho rarely twice in one session.

Of course, being a guy aging into in his early 30s, with other stresses in his life, perhaps this is all attributable to factors outside Finasteride.

I seem to have partly conquered the fear of going bald now, but the thing that really keeps me awake is the suspicion that I care less now because I am no longer as bothered whether or not I score with a hot girl at all.

That, coupled with the fact that Im angsty as fcuk about sex anyway, whereas once I was extremely confident, has made me fairly depressed and rather angry about the whole thing.

So if you will join me; three rather jaded and sarcastic cheers for Finasteride.

This sentence is the obligatory disclaimer for anyone who uses and doesnt get sides, of which there are many. This is just the opinion of one person who used and did get sides, of whom there are also apparently very many.

Good luck with whatever you do guys.

All the best.

7up

Reaction score
On second thoughts..

So as not to end on such a downer, now that I have everyone in such a good mood, would the more experienced among you guys care to name a few post-finasteride remedies I might try (homeopathic remedies politely rejected), in a final attempt to make me half the sexual being I once was?

Preferably, I would be open to anything which doesn't itself carry the risk of devastating and irreversible side effects.

I'd be happy to post the progress, and it would nice to have something positive on which to report :)

Thanks fellas.

ukmale24

Established Member
Reaction score
This has kind of put me off trying finasteride. I need some Success Story therapy to get me going again.

7up

Reaction score
Fair enough, guess I'm getting off topic with my request - I'll invest time in researching post-finasteride libido-increasing treatments myself and post in a more relevant thread if required.

Cheers guys, take care.