Lowering Finasteride Dosage - No Side Effects

7up

Reaction score
I have Fincar 5mg tabs, but I will probably need to buy some 1mg tabs in order to divide into .25mg.

One tiny tablet into 20 pieces will be impractical :)

7up

Reaction score
Hi all.

Slight change of plan:
Given how good I have been feeling this last week since temporarily quitting the finasteride, (see earlier posts in this thread) and because of what seems like an ever-increasing number of people reporting adverse side effects, I am giving more serious consideration to staying off it for good.

If I do, it will not be an easy decision, because the positive effects have been undeniable.

As I said, there are two main contributing factors to my considering giving up, which go beyond the initial buzz of feeling horny again. One is the fact that there are a number of symptoms that I didn't even realise I was experiencing, all of which have since evaporated:

I'm thinking more clearly. My memory has improved. In the morning, I feel refreshed as though I have had a more satisfying sleep, and I can recall my dreams. I feel more positive about the future. And on Saturday I got back in touch with my ex.
It's not just my libido, but my emotional sexuality that I feel I am once again back in touch with. I feel emotionally as well as physically aroused by the thought of her. Something that I haven't felt since we started dating.
...Which was, surprise surprise, almost one year ago, back in the days when we went at it like rabbits, and the size of my p**rn collection was still growing, before I lost interest almost entirely.

The other factor is fear, plain and simple. Not fear that I might temporarily re-experience the side effects if I start again at a lower dose, but rather, that I might find out in another two years or so that it has finally been officially confirmed that Finasteride is causing longer lasting or permanent side effects than was previously claimed.

This fear today outweighs my fear of going entirely bald, and I can no longer honestly say that I have very much faith in the official claims that only a small percentage of men experience side effects, and that nearly all men recover very quickly when they stop.

I am aware of the possibility that finasteride may simply be getting a biased, negative rep online right now simply because happy men with plentiful libidos, rock hard erections and an abundance of hair regrowth have little reason to contribute in hair loss forums.

And there are plenty of fear-mongering bastards that are ready to exploit and exaggerate sides in favour of their alternative therapies.

Therefore, maybe the scare stories are totally disproportionate.

But there are far too many people complaining about permanent sides, as well as statements by UK and Swedish medical authorites, for me to feel comfortable about starting it again- at this stage, at least.

It is not my intention to worry anyone else on this drug, particularly if they have had decent finasteride success with few or no sides.

I will continue to report back on my progress, but felt I should state that it is less likely that I will recommence a regime on a smaller dose of finasteride, as originally planned. I may change my mind, but even if I do I will be ready to come off it straight away, even if I only experience mild sides after what I deem to be acceptable 'breaking in' period.

Finasteride Cessation Update:
Today is the first day I haven't felt increasingly horny since the day I quit. Not 'unhorny' like before - just mellow, and not distracted by the thought of massive tits.

But Im not screaming 'Post-Propecia Syndroooome' and hurling myself out the window just yet! :)
Christ almighty, the lust had to level off at some point, otherwise by next weekend I would have been snatching women off the street.

I still feel good in every other respect. The only other symptom so far is the unfortunate occasional itch emanating from the areas of my head where my hair is thinning- something I used to experience before starting finasteride just over a year ago. But hey, it's inevitable.

If I had to guess, I think there's a good chance I will be up and down for quite a while until my body readjusts, which is fine.

My new project in the meantime will be to find other ways to compensate to the point that I am happy again with how I look and feel, so that this time I am better prepared psychologically, whatever I eventually choose to do.
I need to take stock. And I need to pay attention when people tell me it doesn't actually matter very much, because the fact is they're right.
It's just difficult to convince yourself of that fact, isn't it?
Difficult, but not impossible.

I'll keep in touch.

johnt

Reaction score
7up: I'm glad to hear that you are feeling so good now that you're off the drug. Having also been on and then off for an enough time for the sides to go away and feel normal again, I have to say that what you are feeling is very real. I felt each of those things you describe once I got off the drug, and similar to you, I didn't even know I had some of the sides (or at least didn't attribute it to the finasteride) until I stopped taking it.

I wanted to try again now at a lower dose in hopes of not feeling those sides. However, I've struggled with stopping use each day now for the past week but continued in hopes that the sides would subside. I'm not sure I'm going to make it though as I miss how good I felt while off it. I honestly don't think the sides are going to go away, if anything I might just forget what it is I'm supposed to feel like.

All I can say is, you're probably making the right decision. I startted two and a half weeks ago at .5mg and felt sides, lowered to .25 now and still feel sides -- I think I'll always have sides to some degree no matter what dose I'm using.

Are you planning on trying anything else? ie natural supplements or anything?

I'm honeslty not sure what I should do at this point...

Timmysee

Reaction score
johnt said:
I startted two and a half weeks ago at .5mg and felt sides, lowered to .25 now and still feel sides -- I think I'll always have sides to some degree no matter what dose I'm using.

What kind of sides are you experiencing.
I would suggest you take a break from finasteride for around a month and then start again on the .25 dose and see what happens. The effects from finasteride often take a while to subside.

Also, depending on the nature of the sides it could be that it's partially a mental thing. Especially if they're sexual side effects and you've already experienced them on higher doses.

Of course, it's your decision what you do from here, but you don't have anything to lose from waiting a while and trying again. Except maybe a little more hair :p

7up

Reaction score
Hi johnt,

I agree with Timmysee that you that you cannot yet rule out beyond reasonable doubt whether your system can happily tolerate a 0.25mg dose, and would need to give it a bit longer to see if sides subside.

However, in saying that I am not recommending whether or not you continue at this stage.
But from what you have carefully described about yourself, it sounds a distinct possibility that if you were to attempt jacking finasteride in for good without knowing for certain whether your mood etc would improve, you might be tempted to try it again down the line.

Before deciding how to proceed, I think timing should also be a serious consideration.
This thing is a slow burner, and as far as I know a few weeks off it is not going to be very detremental to the regrowth process. If like me (and I think Timmysee attested that he is too) you are already prone to depression to whatever degree, and want to continue without an extension on your recent break, make sure that you are feeling strong and determined enough to see it through for a couple of months. Then you will know for sure whether or not you can continue. But if not, don't feel bad, because taking another couple of weeks off to clear your body/head is also fine!

It seems like you have three options, which are all ultimately positive:

-PUSH ON and continue at 0.25mg daily for another 8 weeks, which is probably a decent amount of time to judge sides. Promise and know you will quit if they don't.
-TAKE A BREAK for a few weeks until you are feeling better, then continue as above.
-QUIT NOW if you suspect that you're lying to yourself, and you're already confident that the sides won't go away, based on your experiences so far.

Whichever of the above you do, you will be able to conclusively close the door on finasteride one way or the other, and move on, which sounds like something that is going to make you ultimately alot happier, bald or no :)

With regards to alternative treatments, some report more limited success with Minoxydil (eg Rogaine), and some with laser combs (despite how bullshit they sound). Also there are other topical solutions proven to work a little bit in some, but they have the same DHT lowering properties as finasteride (to a lesser degree, therefore less effective anyway), so I wouldn't consider them if by then you have ruled finasteride out. As far as I know, almost every other treatment is bullshit.

You've had this monkey on your back alot longer than Timmy or me, and I reckon you owe it to yourself to get closure on this in one way or another.

Sleep on it. If you are still unsure tomorrow, I would recommend option 2 or 3 :)

Speaking for myself, I was initially partly motivated by the shock and panic that I was losing my hair, but this time I feel a bit better prepared for going the Bruce Willis route. Maybe that's the ironic thing; that the buzz I'm getting from finasteride cessation is actually spurring and helping me a little to accept my probable fate :) I find myself thinking; What if I lost an arm? What if I had serious burn scars on my face? Would I still be obsessing about the top of my frigging head?

I didn't used to talk to my friends about it. Now I take the piss out of myself in a way that I wouldn't have previously thought would help, but it really does. They know I'm bothered about it. If you've never mentioned it, the first joke you make will get a big laugh. It makes me care less, and helps me realise the sh*t that I have going for me.

Rule it out man. If doing so means that you need to give it one more shot on .25mg, then do so. But no more pinning of hopes. Assume it won't work. Assume nothing will work. Get enormously depressed about that fact for a while, but process it, and don't deny it. And if finasteride finally works, always be prepared to drop it in the event that it's fine for a year but then suddenly your libido/mood tumbles for more than a few weeks. Same if those evil sides sneak back in subtley- even at 15% depression, or 75% libido, admit it's not worth it.

Once you've done all that, first step is a haircut :) Youre not obliged to get a 0.5mm crew cut, but you need something. Ask a girl if you don't know what style to go for. Comb overs are an obvious no no :D

Next step is the gym, or a holiday, or a night at a strip club, or a new hobby, or a martial art etc.

I don't know what the third step is yet. But I'm positively certain that it in no way involves sketchy sleep, piss poor erections, man breasts, or staggering your way through life like you've just had a minor lobotomy.

7up

Reaction score
finasteride Cessation Update:

Disclaimers:
Some of the following symptoms may be attributable in part to a crash diet I started a few days ago, to shift my spare tire in what I hope to be record time. Eating more regularly and very healthily as of today.

A TMI warning in advance for the graphic material.

Must Shag Hand:
Back to feeling excessively horny since 3am this morning (when I got up, feeling wired and awake). I have tossed off 4 times in the last 18 hours, and not because I felt I should, but because I had to.

Got a late night craving for p**rn and was back to scouring and downloading like the pathetic sexual reprobate I used to be. Erm.. hooray?
I was amazed to find myself jizzing like a 14 year old*, producing more on the fourth go than I ever did whilst taking finasteride, and at one point shooting well over my shoulder like someone had stamped on a bottle of Salad Cream.
(That was standing up, as well. Cue rounds of applause).

*based on my own experiences as a 14 year old, I should stress

*Snif*:
Also, strangely emotional today. Even more-so than before, though not in an entirely unpleasant way. It's nice to feel something. Kind of a release after the last few 'muted' months.

I have a mild concern that in my over sensitive state, I could at any moment blurt out something teary-eyed and premenstrual in public.
(It wasnt what you said, it was the way you said it)

Rogaine Foam:
I tried Minoxidil a few years back, but had to abandon it because of itching (though no other sides at all). Over 8 months I saw slight shedding, but no further notable progress.
I discovered the Foam formula on the web last night, which as most of you I'm sure already knew causes less irritation for most men.
Ordered a 1 month bottle of 5% Rogaine Foam online today. eBay was the cheapest I could find in 10 minutes. Ouch! Is there anywhere cheaper in UK? (And are we allowed to discuss here? If not, ignore.)

Behold, New Shampoo Technique Revelation:
Bought a bottle of coal tar extract Neutrogena T-gel shampoo to combat the itching I've had since the finasteride-quit, which worked wonders in the past but always creeped easily into the eyes and stung like a b**ch while I left it on for the recommended 'several minutes'.

This time, I put a large blob of it on dry hair and massaged it in just before stepping into the shower, then rinsed it off last thing.
It is clearly the way forward. Mega-dose to the head which eradicated itching in 10 mins flat, all without feeling like tiny fresh lemon slices were being inserted under my eyelids.

Shampoo combo advice?:
Consensus seems to be to use Nizoral or similar in conjunction with Min to 'prep' the scalp.
Can any of you guys give me tips?

is T-Gel shampoo the UK equivalent to Nizoral?
And which T-Gel shampoo is best?:
  • Original (Coal Tar),
    Extra Strength Formula,
    Stubborn Itch Control Formula,
    T/Sal® Maximum Strength (features 3% Salicylic Acid)
    T/Gel’s Healthy Scalp Anti-Dandruff

(All shampoo deets based on info found on this page http://www.hairIosslearningcenter.org/c ... tories.asp)

Cheers for now, guys.

johnt

Reaction score
Ok guys - I've stuck with the .25 mg finasteride dose and feel better. I've been more relaxed and calm and felt better overall for the past 4 days or so. THis morning I actually woke up with a semi-hard erection! I would prefer a solid erection, but it's the right direction at least.

So all in all .25 seems to be a better dose for me in regard to curbing sides. I plan on sticking with this dose for the time being. i'm hoping things get even better, but I'll report back here and let you know what I find.

Timmysee

Reaction score
7up, regarding your post from the 11th; considered getting a girlfriend? xD

Glad to hear you're back up to full strength though, so to speak.

grove12345

Reaction score
ya i was doing 1mg a day. Didnt feel so "lively"

so reduced it .5mg. I felt great for about a week.

now trying .25/.5/.25. Not sure if thats a good idea mixing dosages. Unless the half life of the pill is 48 hours then that means im taking .75 every 48 hours.

How do you cut it to .33?

Timmysee

Reaction score
Hi there, I cut it into 0.33 by bending a razor blade to an angle of about 120 degrees, then putting the corner in roughly the middle of the pill and cutting it like that.

It's not 100% exact, but it's close enough :)

johnt

Reaction score
Just thought I would post an update - I'm still on .25 finasteride per day, have been for several weeks now and things are going well in regard to sides. For the past week I've been hornier than hell. My erections have been really good. If anything, I have times when I feel anxious and short tempered, but I'm not sure I can blame that on the finasteride... those feelings showed up once in a while when I was off finasteride too. Overall I do feel a little less calm, but I can work that out -- I haven't been meditating and doing yoga as often as I used to, so that I'm sure has alot to do with it also.

Anyway, I will stick to the .25 dose for a few months and see if it is effective for the hair. I hope to gain back some ground I feel I lost, hairwise, while I was off the finasteride for about 6 months.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 4.5 months into finasteride 0.25mg/day and nothing to report so far. Started with 0.25mg EOD the first month and then moved to ED.

Last year I took finasteride 0.5mg/day for 6 months and it started to work around the 5th month. I would say it works pretty well on me.

I do not suffer from sexual sides but from hypotension and fluid retention. I also experienced anxiety but this effect went away after I started taking a mild antidepressant (I've got to take it anyways). Lowering the dosage meant lowering the sides in my case.

I hope to see regrowth starting next month.

ponder

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to contribute to an old thread...I've actually been taking 1mg for 3 years, very little sides, but much like many of you guys I've decided to try and cut back my dosage to theorectically minizmize chances of future possible sides, so I'm going to go from my usual 1mg to .5mg every 2 days, and instead of monitoring sides, I'm going to monitor my hair. :) I don't mind losing a little bit in the sake of finding out.

johnt said:
Anyway, I will stick to the .25 dose for a few months and see if it is effective for the hair. I hope to gain back some ground I feel I lost, hairwise, while I was off the finasteride for about 6 months.

Thanks for the help and feedback.

johnt...has the how's the progress been the past few months, I'd love to know!

ponder

Reaction score
finfighter said:
I know that you don't get side effects per se, but do you still get regular morning erections?

Hi finasteride, actually I still do, thinking back to it they're around periods of time when I'm not stressed with good rest, and I didn't, um, how do you say, "clean the pipes" the night before, so nothing unusual. I'm 30, I wouldn't say they're as overpowering as they were in my 20's, but I still get them given those conditions.

By the way, I've read your posts frequently around the forum, I'd like to thank you for all the information you provide backed up with data, helps us all make relatively more informed decisions. In fact a lot of the stuff you wrote is what's causing me to be a bit more prudent from here on out, coupled with the recent media coverage.

sandyc

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't started on finasteride yet. I'm 27 and probably started noticing I didn't get morning erections like I did in my early 20's about a year ago. I still get them but not to the point where I'd think 'How am I gonna get the bus this morning!?'.

ponder

Reaction score
Cool, after snooping around online I found some people who had pretty decent success maintaining there hair at even .25mg with less side effects, and I found some charts and a medical study that found hair maintenance/regrowth was still noticeable at that dose, though not as effective as the officially tested 1mg. 1mg seems to be a average "sweet spot" found by merck as the DHT amount between 1mg and 5mg was neglible, and a curve in effectiveness (and theorectically the "side effects") begins at 1mg and downwards. It'd be logical to say some people respond at less, some respond at more, whether it's negative or positive, and logic would also say take as little as you feel like you need to, so that's what I'm trying.

I'm cutting it down to .25mg and I'll report back in a few months, thanks ya'll.

I'll paste the report I found in the next post, unfortunately it's the paste of someone else's paste so I don't have the original source, but seems legitimate and concurs with the other stuff I've read.

ponder

Reaction score
Introduction
Ever since the clinical observations of James Hamilton over fifty years ago,
investigators have sought the identification of the specific androgens responsible for
the development of male pattern baldness (Androgenetic Alopecia). In 1974, the
description of men with genetic deficiency of type II 5a-reductase shed further light
on this issue. These men were found to have low serum dihydrotestosterone, normal
or slightly elevated serum testosterone, and no prostate enlargement or male pattern
baldness. This led to the search for 5a-reductase inhibitors as potential pharmacologic
agents for treatment of disease in man.
Clinical studies
Finasteride, an orally-active type 11 5a-reductase inhibitor, was the first such
agent developed for clinical use in man. Clinical trials conducted for the treatment of
men with benign prostatic hyperplasia established the excellent safety profile of this
compound. Studies were subsequently initiated for the treatment of men with male
pattern baldness. Concurrently, finasteride administration was shown to result in
increased hair growth in the stumptail macaque, and to lower scalp skin
dihydrotestosterone in balding men.
We conducted two separate, placebo-controlled clinical trials to evaluate the
safety and efficacy of finasteride in men age 18 to 35 years old with Hamilton
classification III vertex and IV male pattern baldness. Finasteride 5 mg/day or
placebo was administered orally for 12 months in one study, while finasteride 1 mg,
0.2 mg, or 0.01 mg/day or placebo was administered for 6 months in a second study.
Materials and methods
Objective improvement in hair growth in men with male pattern baldness was
determined by analysis of haircounts from macrophotographs taken of a 1
inch diameter circle (5.1 cm) of scalp hair centered at the leading edge of the vertex
bald spot.-
Subjective improvement was determined by analysis of:
1) a self-administered patient hair growth questionnaire (HGQ);
2) investigator clinical assessment (ICA) of hair growth; and
3) assessment of global photographs (GPA) by a panel of expert dermatologists.
Results
Table 1 summarizes the results of these studies. Patients treated with finasteride at
5 mg, 1 mg or 0.2 mg/day showed improvement in hair growth at 6 months (M6) or at
12 months (M12), while treatment with 0.01 mg/day was similar to the placebo.
Serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) was reduced to castrate levels in patients receiving
finasteride at 5 mg, 1 mg or 0.2 mg/day, while serum testosterone (T) remained in the
normal range. No significant safety issues were identified in patients receiving
finasteride at any dose.
Table 1.
Summary of results
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Haircount (1 inch circle) -7 -3 61 * 77 * -10 95 *
HGQ (% improved appearance) 32% 36% 48% * 54% * 29% 71% *
ICA (916 increased hair) ' 53% 49% 70% * 75% * 47% 76% *
GPA (% increased hair) 15% 15% 41% * 58% * 2% 51% *
DHT (median 176 change) -3.9% -10.8% * -61.7% * -68.7% * 0.0% -69.2% *
T (median 76 change) 8.8% 13.2% 23.9% * 21.5% * -2.8% 23.0% *
resulted in clinically significant improvement in hair growth in men with male pattern
baldness. These studies are currently ongoing at the 1mg dose of finasteride to obtain
longer-term data.

sirigaita

Reaction score
good to see people happy taking .5 or.25 .

today, i restarted my regimen on .5 as .25 is impossible to manage. the 1mg tablet s already f*****g small . impossible to make it .25. does anybody have any tip on how to cut it effectivelly?

hope to see results and keep my libido up!

cheers