Losing Hairline At 20? Or Maturing? Agh..

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright, well if you wanted pics, here’s my (almost) 1 year update.

Sadly, I don’t have any good news to report here. My temples receded further and I feel I’m noticing more overall thinning. Worried about crown thinning now too. Interestingly, I don’t find a ton of hairs on my pillow or comb.

I am now 21 (cheers) and still don’t use finasteride, as those I’ve talked to say I’m too young. However, my regimen has changed slightly since the time of posting this:
- Minoxidil once a night every night, same as before. I may have missed one night in the whole year.
- Nizoral shampoo 1-2 times a week, same as before.
- Started using a 1mm dermaroller last fall, using once weekly (although more inconsistently...)
- Multivitamin and hair growth supplement pills added this past winter.
- A couple months ago, I’ve experimented with scalp massages using a mix of rosemary, lavender, and jojoba oil. 1-2 times a week.

And here are pics I took today. The lighting is harsher and more artificial here, but the difference is clear...

Left temple:
B09120FA-F9B8-43AD-B670-C14EF14A1BAD.jpeg

Right temple
B1DEA75A-FDB9-4219-B785-8ED5FD13A410.jpeg

Right temple side view (now you can see it)
24CF5BD0-E3DE-4D37-844A-D4E3B8487932.jpeg

Front (looks deceptively good here)
34F2A7AD-097A-4DEA-9215-3E87EACD5DF3.jpeg

8745D0C4-80A0-4AD3-B843-C1D9065A3582.jpeg

Hairline (pulled back, yikes)
EAC2D49D-88EF-4A4F-8B95-498FC4833338.jpeg

And now...bald spot or cowlick? I’ve always had an obnoxious cowlick here, but let me know your thoughts.
C970EFC2-7AC7-4C19-B787-3F9D915C1284.jpeg

1A54EE6B-7F19-4D5B-87A1-E713626D201C.jpeg

So yeah, let me know what you guys think about my negative progress and where you’d put me on the Norwood scale now. Further advice would be appreciated, especially about whether 21 is too young to take finasteride or not. I’m just at a crossroads...I know that’s my best shot at keeping my hair, but how long do I put it off...

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I no longer style my hair like this...I’ve felt it brings out the recession and makes the miniaturized hairs so noticeable. But I wanted a better comparison to last year’s pics.

Last edited:

Guido

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
comienza con finasterida ... comencé a los 22 años y no me pasó nada

Guido

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He mantenido casi todo el cabello, solo las entradas crecieron un poco y se adelgazaron un poco
Tengo casi 29 años
Finasteride funciona pero las entradas continúan creciendo un poco debido a la edad

20200421_055649.jpg

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There other dht blockers besides finasteride and duta. There’s topical finasteride, ru58841 and others that don’t really have sides like cb 03-01 and zix. You can try these topical dht blockers and use daily rolling at a lower distance if you want. These aren’t as proven as finasteride and duta but they are much safer and work just as well or even better for some, good luck

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the advice and responses. Currently looking into zix as a safer alternative...

Where would everyone place me Norwood wise/how bad is it compared to my initial pics?

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have similar hair to mine but I think you have a little less recession. However you seem to be thinning alot even past your hairline. I'm 21 too and take finasteride for 1 1/2 months now. No sides. Gonna add minoxidil soon I think. You are definitely not too young to start finasteride. So if I were you I would probably take the plunge.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't start with zix, finasteride should always be the first course of action in tackling hair loss, start it asap and give it 12 months.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you guys serious? Why wouldn’t it be more logical to try something like zix for a few months before taking the plunge? Thought the whole point is to try to maintain hair without risking those nasty side effects.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
zix yes if you were Norwood 1.5 with decent density. I'm just giving you my honest opinion based on where you're at, but most of all , do what your gut and heart tell you to do not one of us. Just tryna help you out here fellow human being.
I do appreciate it, and the reassurance on finasteride helps, but it’s a tough decision to make that jump at this age. So I just want to be really sure I’ve exhausted all my options before that.

You mentioned having good density for zix...is my density bad?

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I think I’m going to try out zix for a couple months. From what I’ve read it seems to work within a short period of time.

After that, I’ll reevaluate and see if I should hop on small doses of finasteride. I don’t think a couple months will devastate my hair, as it didn’t progress majorly over the last year.

I’ll keep you guys updated.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I were you I would go on Finasteride asap. You don't have the luxury anymore to try around a bit. In that pic where you pulled your entire hairline back the entire front looked alarming, even parts of the forelock. It's really thinning. If that is gone we are looking at an explosive worsening of your state and you would wish you started finasteride sooner. I mean it's your decision ultimately but I just wanted you to know that.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely try zix first and best in combination with needling.

Fina will wreck your endocrine system and sooner or later you will get sides.
Thank you. I feel like a lot of people on here are way too hasty in telling people to hop on finasteride at the first signs of balding..

A couple months of trying zix just seems more logical to me.

Hairanoia

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course, absolutely crazy to tell a young guy to jump on fina without any hesitation instead of trying every alternative first. Check out the big zix thread.

Btw you can try zix on its own for a couple of months, if that doesn't help add microneedling. (follica patent advises 1mm depth 1x/2weeks) Or if you want to go hardcore, check Ezekiel https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...nxodil-results-from-tressless.117746/page-585

Also funny nobody ever talks about getting a full hormone panel before hopping on fina, this should be standard. So watch out for the fina crew, it should be a last resort and not a first line of defense.
Perfect. You're talking some sense. I plan on maintaining my minoxidil once a day/dermaroller once a week schedule once I start zix. Some people worry that zix and minoxidil work against each other, but if I apply zix in the morning and minoxidil at night, maybe that would be enough time for the contents to absorb?

I just don't want to halt minoxidil completely while trying this, as I'd be bound to shed a lot...

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like I said your decision. You are definitely not too young tho and you are definitely not at the stage where you can say "oh the first sign of hairloss". But I can perfectly understand if you don't want to go the finasteride route just yet. Here are many people who love it to death and also others who act like it's the devil personified and it 100% will destroy your life. None of these people are right.