Long time finasteride users, does your hair go through shedding cycles?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on finasteride for 3 years. I don’t think much about my hair (relative to my previous obsession) but once in a while, I’ll take a look at the back in the mirror and feel that the thinning has progressed. Other times, it looks like it hasn’t. Not sure if my minds playing tricks on me, and although that’s definitely part of it, I’m curious if any long time users have ever experienced periods of thinner hair followed by thickening? If this is the case then it’s safe to say you remained at baseline, and gives me hope when I feel that my hair looks a bit thinner lol. Even if you’re not a long time user, has anyone ever read up on this?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Been on finasteride for 3 years. I don’t think much about my hair (relative to my previous obsession) but once in a while, I’ll take a look at the back in the mirror and feel that the thinning has progressed. Other times, it looks like it hasn’t. Not sure if my minds playing tricks on me, and although that’s definitely part of it, I’m curious if any long time users have ever experienced periods of thinner hair followed by thickening? If this is the case then it’s safe to say you remained at baseline, and gives me hope when I feel that my hair looks a bit thinner lol. Even if you’re not a long time user, has anyone ever read up on this?
I notice my hair looks and feels much thicker when it's cut really short but when it grows out feels and looks thinner so it could have something to do with length. The guy who cuts my hair told me this can happen due to length of hair. Also with less humidity my hair looks better so now it's looking good again.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I notice my hair looks and feels much thicker when it's cut really short but when it grows out feels and looks thinner so it could have something to do with length. The guy who cuts my hair told me this can happen due to length of hair. Also with less humidity my hair looks better so now it's looking good again.
Yeah my hair is pretty long. When I style it with some pomade, everything looks great. It’s those moments when I wake up or after a shower and I run my hand through my hair or take a close look in the mirror that I start to question if it’s getting worse. You’re right about humidity though, it absolutely ruins my hair

vika

Reaction score
i used fina for 10 years now. The first 4-5 years was good. The first year i regained quite a bit of hair and for the next 4 years i maintained it. After that i noticed that i had a shed going on around xmas every year. Sadly after each shed i lost a bit more hair in my corners and in the front.

Im still on fina but it was obvious for me that after 7-8 years that i would keep receeding, though slowly.

I opted for a hair transplant in the end. :)

I can also confirm what doctorHouse mention. The hair looks better when its short.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
i used fina for 10 years now. The first 4-5 years was good. The first year i regained quite a bit of hair and for the next 4 years i maintained it. After that i noticed that i had a shed going on around xmas every year. Sadly after each shed i lost a bit more hair in my corners and in the front.

Im still on fina but it was obvious for me that after 7-8 years that i would keep receeding, though slowly.

I opted for a hair transplant in the end. :)

I can also confirm what doctorHouse mention. The hair looks better when its short.
Thanks for the response, this is pretty helpful. I have a few follow up questions if you don’t mind.

1) Would you be willing to share any before and after pics of your hairs deterioration on finasteride?

2) You mentioned it was slow, do you think it was slow enough that no one would really notice a difference between the first year on finasteride and the year you got a transplant?

3) how long do you think you could’ve stayed on finasteride before you’d be in the “just shave it” stage (no transplant)? My hope is that even if my hair slowly gets worse, it’ll look natural for my age. Unfortunately, I’m not too sure about a transplant because I have diffuse thinning more so than recession

4) Lastly, were you generally thinning or only receding?

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on Finasteride for about 25 years and I notice no shedding as time goes by. As I've posted several times in previous posts, I'm now only taking Finasteride once a week and I'm maintaining what I have. I can't explain it but it's working. I been weaning off finasteride for about 5 years. Went from once a day, to every other day (a year or 2), to Mon, Wed, Fri. (maybe 8 months to a year) , to Mon. and Fri. (about a year) and now I only take it on Mondays, been doing just Mondays for about 18 months now. I'm not sure it's even doing anything anymore, it could by my hair loss has reached it's limit. Before you ask I attached a pic of my hair. I'm 48 and have been thinning since my 20's. I also had about 500 transplants total in the front about 12 years ago. The only other thing I use is hair vitamins from vitamin world and rotate various shampoos.

Attachments

• hair.JPG
    hair.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 238
  • hair 2.JPG
    hair 2.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 242

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Slowly losing ground on finasteride over years or decades, I guess at some point is unfortunately kind of inevitable.

But it can be because some other factor is causing additional shedding, the generic people are on is simply not working as well as it could, or maybe its just time to pull out all the stops and try dutasteride.

Last edited:

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Slowly losing ground on finasteride over years or decades, I guess at some point is unfortunately kind of inevitable.

But it can be because some other factor is causing additional shedding, the generic people are on is simply not working as well as it could, or maybe its just time to pull out all the stops and try dutasteride.
Still probably did well for 20 years? How bad was your loss initially when started finasteride?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still probably did well for 20 years? How bad was your loss initially when started finasteride?
Hair loss was never aggressive. I was never destined for a very high Norwood early on, (4A in late 30's at most) But I did Start receding very young so had a hairline of a 40 year old in my teens, (Norwood 2 ish) hairline is only slightly worse now and have diffused a bit all over, but looks kind of age appropriate now i'm actually in my 40's

Last edited:

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some of the problems when you are balding, is if your density is already lowered, any slight change is magnified or seams really obvious, I would have thought everyones hair does go through slight seasonal changes and minor shedding cycles its just they have the additional density not to notice,

but for the most part if i'm on finasteride and its working well my shedding seems very low, it only go's to sh*t when I switch brands.

Last edited:

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on Finasteride for about 25 years and I notice no shedding as time goes by. As I've posted several times in previous posts, I'm now only taking Finasteride once a week and I'm maintaining what I have. I can't explain it but it's working. I been weaning off finasteride for about 5 years. Went from once a day, to every other day (a year or 2), to Mon, Wed, Fri. (maybe 8 months to a year) , to Mon. and Fri. (about a year) and now I only take it on Mondays, been doing just Mondays for about 18 months now. I'm not sure it's even doing anything anymore, it could by my hair loss has reached it's limit. Before you ask I attached a pic of my hair. I'm 48 and have been thinning since my 20's. I also had about 500 transplants total in the front about 12 years ago. The only other thing I use is hair vitamins from vitamin world and rotate various shampoos.
Insane story! Thanks for sharing the pics too. Looks to me like your hair is age appropriate and no one would consider you as balding. That’s a win in my book. This is how your hair looked when you got on finasteride. The wet pic shows age appropriate thinning but would look worse on someone in their 20s I guess.

Some of the problems when you are balding, is if your density is already lowered, any slight change is magnified or seams really obvious, I would have thought eveyones hair does go through slight seasonal changes and minor shedding cycles its just they have the additional density not to notice,

but for the most part if i'm on finasteride and its working well my shedding seems very low, it only go's to sh*t when I switch brands.
This might be right. Maybe I have slight changes here and there and I notice them. Overall, I think my hair has gotten slightly worse in the last three years. I’m 25 and I’m trying to gauge how long I’ll have until it’s a REAL issue. I’ve come to be more comfortable with my situation and I’m okay with some additional thinning as I age, @md2002 hair situation seems more than reasonable for 48 and I’d love to be in that position at his age.

I’ll attach some pics here to show you all what I’m working with. When styled I’m more than happy with how it looks. When wet however, the thinning starts to show.

Attachments

• B4A6C38F-73A4-4B4B-82C3-0A835D5FC84D.jpeg
    B4A6C38F-73A4-4B4B-82C3-0A835D5FC84D.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 318BC090-79B0-4C2C-A582-AE6E88B7095E.jpeg
    318BC090-79B0-4C2C-A582-AE6E88B7095E.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 31E43410-5E36-4117-8587-88AB241B3CF0.jpeg
    31E43410-5E36-4117-8587-88AB241B3CF0.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 191
  • D76320ED-C143-4D88-8237-488660CB83DB.jpeg
    D76320ED-C143-4D88-8237-488660CB83DB.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 197

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Insane story! Thanks for sharing the pics too. Looks to me like your hair is age appropriate and no one would consider you as balding. That’s a win in my book. This is how your hair looked when you got on finasteride. The wet pic shows age appropriate thinning but would look worse on someone in their 20s I guess.

This might be right. Maybe I have slight changes here and there and I notice them. Overall, I think my hair has gotten slightly worse in the last three years. I’m 25 and I’m trying to gauge how long I’ll have until it’s a REAL issue. I’ve come to be more comfortable with my situation and I’m okay with some additional thinning as I age, @md2002 hair situation seems more than reasonable for 48 and I’d love to be in that position at his age.

I’ll attach some pics here to show you all what I’m working with. When styled I’m more than happy with how it looks. When wet however, the thinning starts to show.
Your density at the front when dry, looks great, I don't think ive ever had that kind of volume in my hairline.

But with regards to your overall density, it's sometimes the case, that there's also a secondary issues in play, as well as male pattern baldness.

Ive found some supplements like Iron & Zinc seem to improve my hair texture/thickness/shedding when combined with finasteride.

So maybe theres something you can add through trial and error that helps to thicken it a bit?

Are you taking Generic finasteride or Proscar/Propecia?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your density at the front when dry, looks great, I don't think ive ever had that kind of volume in my hairline.

But with regards to your overall density, it's sometimes the case, that there's also a secondary issues in play, as well as male pattern baldness.

Ive found some supplements like Iron & Zinc seem to improve my hair texture/thickness/shedding when combined with finasteride.

So maybe theres something you can add through trial and error that helps to thicken it a bit?

From my understanding, iron and zinc don’t really do much for hair, although I could be wrong. My hairline is about a Norwood 2 and has been pushed back so I do know that I definitely have male pattern baldness. I’ve also had blood work done and nothing came up except, ironically, an excess of iron, a rare condition that may need to be treated. However, maybe there is another factor at play? I never really considered it.

I believe I’m on a generic. I’m prescribed by my doctor and it just says “finasteride” on the prescription.

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve always been complimented about my hair, and luckily I still am. You can see why I’m so worried about losing it lol. It’s so difficult to tell with this type of thinning if it’s getting worse or not, especially with the length I’m at.

Since you’ve been going through it for 20 years, what do you think about my condition? You think I still have a lot of time left considering I’m taking finasteride?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
From my understanding, iron and zinc don’t really do much for hair, although I could be wrong. My hairline is about a Norwood 2 and has been pushed back so I do know that I definitely have male pattern baldness. I’ve also had blood work done and nothing came up except, ironically, an excess of iron, a rare condition that may need to be treated. However, maybe there is another factor at play? I never really considered it.
Yep im not saying they help with male pattern baldness, 99% of the reason i still have hair is down to the finasteride. But Sometimes its worth looking to find the last missing piece of the puzzle, if you did have a secondary issue that is causing a small amount of extra shedding.

That issue could still be detracting from your density, no matter how long you take finasteride.

Since you’ve been going through it for 20 years, what do you think about my condition? You think I still have a lot of time left considering I’m taking finasteride?

If your hair is actualy stable, (very low shedding) than potentially you could maintain it at a similar level it is now for many years to come,

but if you think it is indeed getting worse i would be looking to do everything you can to stabilze it in the near future.

Im biased against alot of indian made finasteride, so unless its made under the control of a western manufacturer, i dont want to be taking it.

If I felt my hair was getting worse on an unknown brand, I would be looking to swap that out at some point in the future.

plus i would be looking into whether any dollar store supplements could help reduce shedding.

These are just generalisations though based on what ive done myself, so its not necessarly what you should be doing in your case.

Most of this stuff is trial and error, and often the best course of advice is too follow your own gut feeling.

Last edited:

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s so difficult to tell with this type of thinning if it’s getting worse or not,
After me saying all that above,

if you really cant tell 100% if its getting worse or not, you are kind of just left with keeping doing everything exactly as you are now and just reassessing your situation every 6 months.

vika

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, this is pretty helpful. I have a few follow up questions if you don’t mind.

1) Would you be willing to share any before and after pics of your hairs deterioration on finasteride?

2) You mentioned it was slow, do you think it was slow enough that no one would really notice a difference between the first year on finasteride and the year you got a transplant?

3) how long do you think you could’ve stayed on finasteride before you’d be in the “just shave it” stage (no transplant)? My hope is that even if my hair slowly gets worse, it’ll look natural for my age. Unfortunately, I’m not too sure about a transplant because I have diffuse thinning more so than recession

4) Lastly, were you generally thinning or only receding?

Np dude. Happy to help.

1. Check the attached picture. I took it just before i got my surgery. Its more or less the same as it was before i started fina.

2. Yeah more or less. The funny thing is noone even noticed i got surgery. I guess people are busy with themself :)

3. Tbh, i was allmost there. I found it extremely hard to have a decent hair cut with receeding corners. At some point, your only option will be a short cut. That might not be the case for you though since you have a diffuse patteren. All i can say about surgery is that if you choose to do it, go all in. Dont be cheap with yourself. I partly live in Istanbul and i see so many bad transplants every day. Get the best surgeon you can. Even if that means you need to save money a few years.

4. Receeding as you can see on the picture.

Regarding shedding. What i guess is hsppening is that when we go in to a shed phase it will look worse and worse as our hair loss progress. My gf experience the same but you see no difference on her since she got so much hair. For us, it gets worse and worse. Luckly it thikens a bit up when it start growing again.

Finally, I also want to say that your hair looks great. I think you are many years away from drastic measures like surgery.
Personally i only use fina and nizoral. I concider to maybe replace fina with topical fina in the future and add oral minoxidil. Maybe that is something you can concider if it get worse.

Edit:
Added picture.. and forgot to say i also take vitamin B, biotin and MSM. Msm i actually believe helps but im no scientist. Check it out for yourself.

Also stay away from microneedling at home. That stuff only should be done in a clinic

Attachments

• 2D1C9A06-EC18-4B28-9BF9-952569843863.jpeg
    2D1C9A06-EC18-4B28-9BF9-952569843863.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 155

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm taking generic finasteride. When I started finasteride I had an obvious bald spot in the back of my head and very thin hair and finasteride 100% got rid of the bald spot in the back. Now, as mentioned my hair seems age appropriate and I'm fine where I'm at.....and no bald spot in the back of my head even with the finasteride reduction dose over the years.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm taking generic finasteride. When I started finasteride I had an obvious bald spot in the back of my head and very thin hair and finasteride 100% got rid of the bald spot in the back. Now, as mentioned my hair seems age appropriate and I'm fine where I'm at.....and no bald spot in the back of my head even with the finasteride reduction dose over the years.
Yep, im taking generic finasteride with good results aswell.

Im not saying all generics don't work, im just talking about not getting exactly the same results on every generic ive tried.

For example having my hair slowly declining over 7 years on one brand, then improving again after switching to another brand or being 99% stable for years then starting to shed & miniaturize 60 days after switching.

Its just something people should be aware of as a possibility, if they think their hair is still declining while on generic finasteride

Last edited: