Long Term User But Tide Is Turning. Need Advice | HairLossTalk Forums

Long Term User But Tide Is Turning. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Runninghair, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Runninghair

Runninghair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Regime currently -

finasteride 1.25 daily
    (Fincar cut into quarters)
    nizoral eod

Hi guys,

So ive recently turned 30. Ive been a user of finasteride since around 21 although i have to admit it was somewhat in stints. There has been years i ran out and stopped. My hair has been falling out since 18 but strangely i seemed to be able to hold on to what a called a fake nw1. By that i mean i had a nw2 but with a lil vellus in the temples. So with careful styling i looked like there was no loss.

Anyways even though over years my hair falls out like crazy.. Hands.. Pillows etc my actual head of hair didnt seem to get worse. Between the ages of 27-28.5 i actually added minoxidil and i think i actually did get back to a nw1.

So all in all finasteride worked well for me. Very well. So around yr ago i stopped taking finasteride through running out and laziness of ordering again. Recently everything has changed.

My scalp which usually would be dry if anything has been oily. Even using nizoral eod. Along my hairline gets oily. My hairline has receeded quickly and middle of my hairline has gone thin. I jumped back on finasteride and month later atill oily and still looking worst its ever been.

Yes i took a break from finasteride but im wondering if having used it ten yrs off and on thats its finally lost its effectiveness or if my balding has finally caught up with me. Afterall, starting loss below 20 and keeping it as well as i did i have been somewhat lucky to have got to 30 in my current state.

Has anyone else went through a long stable battle and then suddenyl took a nosedive???

Any advice for me??

I hope this isnt the end. Not going to try dutasteride anymore.

Thanks in advance for any input. Ill post some pics too. Cheers

2. michel sapin

michel sapin Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    nice result man, did you see a worsening of your hairline with minoxidil ? and a shedding after stopping ?

3. Runninghair

Dislikes Received:
    My hairline got better with minoxidil and my hair ws at its best a yr in. Though as i said i got lazy and ince instopped i quickly lost temples again down to peachfuzz as shown.

My worry mainly is for first time ever finasterise doesnt aeem to be stopping the itch and loss like before. Maybe ive ordered a fake batch or maybe finasteride just doesnt work for me anymore. For now ill stick with it but hoping some guys here who have used finasteride for yrs like me have advice

4. hwezdarik

hwezdarik Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You probably won't find a lot of users with such long finasteride experience on this forum.

Have you considered adding something new to your regimen ? dutasteride, RU,CB or SETI (take your pick) :) .
    I believe it would be wise to perhaps wait 1 month to see whether shedding goes back to normal.

5. Runninghair

Dislikes Received:
    Its weird to hear that about not many users with my length of use. Feels like yesterday i popped first pill. Ten yrs. damn time flies!

My hair is good for 30 dont get me wrong. Im sure youll all agree though that us hair loss people 'know' our hair so well! And i know things have changed and quickened up. Could well be a bad shed.. Something ive nvr really had to be honest.

I think i may add minix again and try a derma roller 1.5mm. Heard good things. At moment though i really need rid if my oily scalp.

Any advice on what to do about the oilyness? Already on nizoral And use t gel too.

Thanks guys

6. Torin

Torin Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You hair looks really good.

I just started taking finasteride myself 5 months ago and still slightly in two minds about it. My hair has thickened up a lot already, but I just feel sad all the time that I'm just postponing the inevitable and I'm not sure I can deal with it when it comes...

Anyway, I wanted to ask you a few questions OP. Firstly what type of hair loss pattern were you experiencing? Was it diffused on top or more recession at the temples?

Secondly, in your fourth picture it looks like you're slightly raising your eyebrows and your top forehead crease seems a cm or two below your hairline. Did you hairline used to be lower at your crease point and do you consider this gap as just a mature hairline?

7. gypsyjimi

gypsyjimi New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Not long time finasteride user, but I have oily scalp and itchiness (pre- and post-finasteride). I found Nizoral to irritate my scalp more (itchiness few hours after use) so dropped it after using for few months. Scalp still oily but more manageable with better shampoo/conditioner. Now there's a significant decrease in itchiness and pillow loss overnight. I'm also a minoxidil user (temples/crown only) but I'm no longer scratching over night. So dropping Nizoral has been good for me. Of course Nizoral works for others. But I can live without it.

8. Runninghair

Dislikes Received:
    Hi torin.

My pattern started as loss all over. When i turned 18 and went to uni i started noticing hair in shower and lots on pillow and a general limpness. Before this time i had coarse thick hair. As i got older maybe 22 plus my temples thinned out and down middle of top. Seemed to be mainly temples however. Last yr my temples have got thinner and main hairline has thinned :(

Leading onto your other question.. I have a big ass forehead so my hairline was never near the crease in my forehead. It has however probs went bck a little over time mind you.

My male pattern baldness isnt probs helped by fact i have hypthyroidism but certainly isnt the cause. I have been lucky to have a slow burn male pattern baldness to now but last yr has turned up a gear. Not helped by fact i dropped finasteride last year. (Laziness).

My maternal grandad had male pattern baldness but he was nw5 by my age so i seem to have at least not inherited it as aggresive as he did. Maybe this is due to fact my dad has a thick nw1 at 58!! And no greys! Ha

Im hoping strixt use of finasteride again will stabilise me as before for a while. I just fear maybe its losing its effect now as im older and i have read finasteride sometimes only is effective

9. g.i joey

g.i joey Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Be happy that you have better hair than almost everyone on this forum at 31! Also, you're only a month and a half in so you can't gauge any real opinion on if propecia is working or not

10. davesmith420

davesmith420 Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    First off, your hair looks amazing bruh. I hope I can maintain on finasteride for as long as you have!

Second off, I think you should try T-Gel to help with "the itch."

11. WMQ

WMQ Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    The excessive sebum and itch suggests androgen receptor upregulation as a result of prolonged usage of finasteride if you ask me.

The same happened to me. Used finasteride for 7 years, had good maintenance until 2016 but was very slowing losing. Quit finasteride due to sides, had tons of sebum/itch/inflammation all over my scalp. Never was able to stop it even if I get back to 0.5 mg finasteride (for the most part of my finasteride journey I used 1 mg ed but I did 1mg EOD or 0.5mg ED in the past without any problem). Hairline going fast (was a Norwood 0-0.5, moved to Norwood 2 within 6 months)

I still don't know what to make of all this. But for me taking finasteride is not an option anymore due to intolerable sides and fear. Hopefully your status will stabilize over several weeks time. I wouldn't suggest keeping on finasteride at this point since it you'd need higher dosage and that's a viscous cycle. Go for topical antiandrogens. You don't seem to have sides from finasteride so you stand a big chance.

12. GoldenMane

GoldenMane Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    If you quit finasteride for months and then start losing ground, how can you say that means finasteride stopped working?
    If you quit finasteride due to sides and the DHT itch returns after you quit, how can you attribute that to androgen receptor upregulation? I know these things can happen, but I would think that in your cases there are very obvious alternative causes. I would only stay the stopped working or AR upregulation happened if you were losing ground or the itch returned even with consistent finasteride usage...

13. WMQ

WMQ Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Sorry. It was indeed misleading. I didn't state the full reasons of my judgement.

Even previously to finasteride, I never had that aggressive itch/inflammation/shedding. Also, my hair loss pattern changed. I never lost hair in my donar areas or had itch there. These are the reasons why I believe AR upregulation happened to me.

And come on guys, let's face the truth. AR upregulation is so common with nearly every kind of potent 5ARi and AA drug. finasteride losing effect over the years is nothing new either. It's not like we should all stay away from finasteride because of that, but it's always good to be informed.

14. DoctorHouse

DoctorHouse Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think you need to realize finasteride only slows things down but your balding pattern will continue but very slowly. If you are destined for a low Norwood, you will see loss at snails pace but if you are destined for a high Norwood, your loss will be slightly faster than snails pace. Been on finasteride for over ten years and still have alot of hair like you but its not as much as I had 10 years ago but it still slowed things down. I have thyroid issues too. I am now using minoxidil every other day and that helped give it a boost. I have less sides with minoxidil as long as I keep the dosage low.

15. Cue Bald

Cue Bald Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    yeah finasteride blocks 95% or so of DHT so you still have that 5% of DHT doing a small amount of damage to the follicles. obviously this means you bald ~20 times slower but it still happens

16. g.i joey

g.i joey Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    what? no finasteride does not block 95% dht, ~70% is the number you're looking for pal.

pegasus2 and k9gatton like this.
  17. Runninghair

Dislikes Received:
    Ill let you guys know if i have any success with keeping on the meda strictly again. My fipping in and out of them certainly hasnt helped.

Ill give it a good 4-6months and see how things lie.

Ive started minoxidil again and applyibg like i did before. Once a day.

Inly change im going to give a go to is a derma roller 1.5mm.

18. Runninghair

Dislikes Received:
    One thing ill add aswell about my hair is it hasnt been same from 18-30. It was worse than it was now around 22. Stable from then to 26ish. Then it got to its best around 28 when i added minoxidil. As i say last yr i went treatment free which was a mistake obviously and me slacking thinking i was ok.

This is first time in my life however ive had the oily scalp and spot on back and face. Nvr had spots in my life.

As i say though. Bck on the meds strictly and will reassese after 6months. I just hope i havnt ruined my decent results of stableness iver the yrs with finasteride by going on and off it all the time. Ive heard that can make ppl 'ammune' to its effects. Maybe as house said though the balding now by the amount of dht finasteride cnt stop is taking its toll. Who knows. If thats the case ill just have to accept nature. Dur is too expensive and i do t like the idea of it anyways.

Fingers crossed im not done with finasteride though!! Pics at month mark will hopefully be encouraging .

19. GoldenMane

GoldenMane Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    So there's three possibilities the .

1. finasteride related androgen receptor upregulation.

2. The cumulative effects of even lower DHT over time.

3. Quitting finasteride caused hair loss to resume at a faster pace.

20. Runninghair

Dislikes Received:
    Update -

Only few days but my hair has gone to pieces. Dont know if its shedding or upregulation but hairs falling out loads and itch is crazy.

My hairs got long and in drastic need of haircut. it always looks its worst now so hopefully haircut will lift my mood a bit.

Will keep going with meds. I looked at a photo id took last year and my hair is so much better. Just shows how quick this can start kicking in when it wants.

Nizoral isnt helping my scalp so wondering if you guys can recommend anything else to calm it down. Thanks alot