Life changing success with Finasteride! PICS

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Please read this post in it's entirety before sending me PMs or asking stupid questions in the forum.. Please!

Baldness runs rampant on both sides of my family. Dad was a NW3-4 by 23 (my age now), and his only brother a few years later. Mum's brothers had slightly more time, but only until there late 20s. There is one uncle on Mum's side (out of 4) who still hasn't receded, but has a bald spot on the back of his head. He's 54. Both sides of the family have very fine hair too, which makes things even more difficult!

My Situation

I started receding quite young, around 16. I had a lot of fine hair on top until it started thinning out at 18 or 19, not quite sure. It didn't bother me for quite some time, since I always wear my hair quite messy/surfer style.

After travelling around my home country of Australia for a few months, I got home to Dad, who said "hey you're looking rather thin on top". I was like "bullsh*t, you're full of it", until I went to the hairdressers a week later to get it cut short for a change..

Depression ensued..

My short haircut revealed the true extent of my male pattern baldness. It had receded to a NW2, but was getting really thin on top so you could see straight through it! If i pushed it down flat you couldn't see, but under a light you could.

I researched a sh*tload on this forum, and started Finasteride (1.25mg/day, quartered Cipla Fincar) late Febuary 2007..

Success!

Even though I had started finasteride, my confidence was still dead low. Honestly, I thought about my hair every, single day until about Febuary 2008, when my hair finally got thick enough to style in a way that I liked.

Finasteride had finally saved my confidence! I could once again blend into this shallow, cosmetic world that we live in!

Side Effects

I've occasionally been rather rude to people who say stuff like "finasteride gave me tits after 3 days!" I regret some of my reactions, and now try to ignore such outbursts.

I don't THINK I've had any sides from this drug. My libido is up sometimes and down other times. My mood is also like this. I have no tits, and am very toned. Sometimes if I'm with a new girl I struggle, but my penis usually works fine. My jizz is watery sometimes, though it's often just as thick as ever.

It short, nothing seems to have changed since starting finasteride (apart from the watery jizz, which I don't think I had before).

OK, so here is the evidence..

April 2007 - 6 weeks on finasteride. I think this was after the supposed "initial shed" caused by finasteride, but I'm not sure. Hair looks BAD!

DSC00567.JPG

DSC00697.JPG

P9100143.JPG

P9100178.JPG

These were taken in school. I was about 17.

n504845605_896559_1240.jpg

n504845605_896630_7710.jpg

September 2008 - 19 months on finasteride. This was probably my peak. Looks great, but it's actually still a bit thinner on top than at the side..

Picture0009.jpg

Picture0019.jpg

Picture0022.jpg

February 2007 - RIGHT TEMPLE

feb21st071.jpg

January 2008 - RIGHT TEMPLE

27012008736.jpg

September 2008 - RIGHT TEMPLE

Picture0033.jpg

September 2008 - LEFT TEMPLE

Picture0030.jpg

2 MONTH BREAK!

I had a few short breaks over the years, mostly just a week or 2 because I ordered too late.

However, in March 2009 I was in a country that had strict import rules. I could have gotten supplies, but I got lazy because I would have had to find a new supplier. I thought "hey, I'll give it a break for a few months as a bit of an experiment".

..Pretty stupid experiment!

My hair thinned out a bit over the break, and was starting to itch and burn like a mofo! I went back on finasteride early May. The itch went away and my hair seemed to stop shedding again.

Silly me, won't do it again..

Summary

Finasteride has worked great for me, but took about a year to get REALLY good results. I strongly recommend it to people in order to maintain there hair, maybe thicken it up a little, and basically just keep things in check until something better comes along.. Hopefully..

Good Luck!

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
Congratulations brentx, your hair look very thick and the results amazing,

But when you actually saw the best regrowth? I mean the most hair regrowing, because I am 6 months on propecia and I haven't seen any regrowth except reduction in hair loss.

Tnx
Chris

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

To be honest, I didn't really see any thickening or regrowth until about 10-12 months in.. Honestly, just take the pill and try to forget about it as much as possible. I would recommend trying to work out how the best way to style your hair is at the moment. Go to a good hairdresser and say, "hey, I'm balding, cut it in the way you think would suit me best." Maybe they'll shave it..

My hair is still thinner on top than the rest, but it's almost negligible, especially when I style it properly!

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
brentx said:
My advice is don't be a pussy and take this damn pill! If you're a big fatty scared of getting bigger man boobs, DIET AND EXERCISE you over indulgent sack of lard! If you find your sex drive is going down hill, QUICK BATTING OFF for 2 weeks and I can almost guarantee you'll be horny as hell by the end of it! Eat healthy, masturbate only once or twice a week, WORK OUT, pop the damn pill, go out and make some money and score some smokin' hot babes.. YOU are in control, so stop moaning! If you think you can't do that, go see a shrink NOW!
Cheers!

Why do so many of the success stories feel the need to insult those who get side effects? Speaking of shrinks, to me it sometimes seems like some of them have some sort psychological need to convince themselves that side effects don't really exist so that they have nothing to worry about for the future.

You think everyone who gets gyno is fat? I noticed gyno sensations and my BMI is 18.5 (about as low as you can go without being unhealthy). As for the sex drive, if you need to quit "batting off" for 2 weeks to feel horny, you are not a normal 20-something male.

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Norsk said:
brentx said:
My advice is don't be a pussy and take this damn pill! If you're a big fatty scared of getting bigger man boobs, DIET AND EXERCISE you over indulgent sack of lard! If you find your sex drive is going down hill, QUICK BATTING OFF for 2 weeks and I can almost guarantee you'll be horny as hell by the end of it! Eat healthy, masturbate only once or twice a week, WORK OUT, pop the damn pill, go out and make some money and score some smokin' hot babes.. YOU are in control, so stop moaning! If you think you can't do that, go see a shrink NOW!
Cheers!

Why do so many of the success stories feel the need to insult those who get side effects? Speaking of shrinks, to me it sometimes seems like some of them have some sort psychological need to convince themselves that side effects don't really exist so that they have nothing to worry about for the future.

You think everyone who gets gyno is fat? I noticed gyno sensations and my BMI is 18.5 (about as low as you can go without being unhealthy). As for the sex drive, if you need to quit "batting off" for 2 weeks to feel horny, you are not a normal 20-something male.

Oh, God.. People like you frustrate me like crazy, but I'm going to respond anyway..

First of all, the insults in my statement were put there in the hopes of "shocking" people into taking action. It was meant to be aggressive, it was meant to shock, and I knew there would be at least a few people who would be offended.. I won't apologise for this.

Second, read what I wrote about sides again.. I said that I wasn't sure about them. All I know is that my dick works, your European women love it, and life is great!

Third, I didn't write "everyone who gets gyno is fat". However, I do stand by my belief that "fatties" should go on diets and exercise more.. I'm not going to defend this statement, but I'm sorry to hear that you're in the 2% who suffer from these sides..

Fourth, does my use of the term "batting off" offend you? Aaaah I love Europe, all the guys here hate me for talking in "straight terms".. Well, the guys might hate me, but your women certainly don't! I think they enjoy a bit of Aussie excitement once in a while ;-)

OK, I think that's it. Oh wait! You said it's not normal to have to quit batting off for 2 weeks to feel horny. No sh*t! I was just saying that if you want to "test" your sides or whatever, give it a go.

Anyway, cheers for the response ;-)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
:bravo:

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes very good results. I had similar hair loss like you and I also had similiar results with finasteride+nizoral
Do you notice even more thickening after 12 months? My thickening started coming in around the 12-month mark.

I believe some more thickening will come in the following years as the hairs do more and more cycles. Maybe not regrowth but thickening of weaker hairs into stronger.

Anyway, good job.

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
bobs said:
Yes very good results. I had similar hair loss like you and I also had similiar results with finasteride+nizoral
Do you notice even more thickening after 12 months? My thickening started coming in around the 12-month mark.

I believe some more thickening will come in the following years as the hairs do more and more cycles. Maybe not regrowth but thickening of weaker hairs into stronger.

Anyway, good job.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think it did get better after the 12 month mark. I swear it just keeps getting better! I'd love to try minoxidil to see how much regrowth I could get, but I just know I'll never be able to do it twice a day, since I'm always travelling.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
I read an article by Dr.Bernstein a while back and he claimed that the main benefit one gets from finasteride is not actual regrowth from basically dead follicles to terminals but the thickening of weak hairs and he said this process will continue long over the 12-month mark. Regrowth, if any on finasteride, will come mainly around or before the 12-month mark.

I have the same issue with minoxidil. I'll save it if things get much worse which I don't think they will in the coming few years, knock on wood. A good haircut is very important, you have a good haircut, no hairloss visible at all with that cut.

And yes, slightly receeded temples is not an issue at all for me either.

So let's pray you get to keep what you have for the coming 5-10 years and that some better treatments come out in the meantime.

take care

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
madhatter said:
Nice progress. Did your regrowth on the hairline begin as vellus hair? If so, how long did it take for the vellus hairs to become terminal. I have a ton of vellus hairs on my one temple 3 months into minoxidil and one into finasteride/nizoral.

Thanks.

Over the last 6-10 months I noticed that a lot of small, thin, coloured (holy sh*t, do Americans spell that without the U?) hairs started popping up along the hairline. I THINK they were hairs that had almost gone vellus, but were saved by finasteride. Remember, I'm not using minoxidil at all. I'd love to see what it would do to my masses of new vellus that has grown over the last 18 months!

bobs said:
I read an article by Dr.Bernstein a while back and he claimed that the main benefit one gets from finasteride is not actual regrowth from basically dead follicles to terminals but the thickening of weak hairs and he said this process will continue long over the 12-month mark. Regrowth, if any on finasteride, will come mainly around or before the 12-month mark.

I have the same issue with minoxidil. I'll save it if things get much worse which I don't think they will in the coming few years, knock on wood. A good haircut is very important, you have a good haircut, no hairloss visible at all with that cut.

And yes, slightly receeded temples is not an issue at all for me either.

So let's pray you get to keep what you have for the coming 5-10 years and that some better treatments come out in the meantime.

take care

Honestly, that sounds exactly right to me. I look at photos of 18 months ago and most of my shock is at the thickening that happened on top of my head. My hairline regrowth has been negligible, ALTHOUGH I THINK there are a heap more vellus there than before. As I said, I'd love to try minoxidil on them!

You're absolutely right about the haircut. It's deadset the most important thing! Guys, if you've anything better than NW3 or NW4 maybe, go spend $100 on a haircut, you won't regret it!

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You are lucky you don't use minoxidil and still get good results. At least you know Propecia works for you. I was using both at the same time and when my hair got worse I had no idea why other than the meds are not slowing things down anymore. I quit minoxidil again since it does nothing but thin my hair out more and dry the heck out of it. And if you color your hair, its strips the color out as well. My downfall occurred after the two year mark. Hopefully you can continue for many years without a downfall. This time I definitely know this is my worst situation so far and it just started one month ago. You never know when it will hit you. Anyway good luck for many years ahead.

EpidermisShowing

Reaction score
This story gives me hope and i'm not at all offended by the statements or derisive comments to us Europeans, We suck! with our pennyfarthings and obessions with non-metric measurements

"I'll have a pint of bread please squire".

Currently i'm at 7 months (Just Propecia) and my hair is sh*t, its the worse it has been there is no doubt about it, seems to have got really thin and this is really noticable in the temples and the top (this is worse than baseline). However i do have lots of little hairs poking through anew, can't really tell on the top but on the temples i can see them they are just not doing anything :( . i'm shedding like constantly everytime i think it is ended it comes back a week later and i'd say im easily into a month and a half of this if not more.

Heres hoping i can have the same thing happen as you cause i desperately need some thickening up. Any advice welcomed. Thanks

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
nicely done matey, I am on finpecia for 3.5 months. First 1.5 to 2 month massive shed but then for a month or so shedding only a few hairs.

Can see a little thickening. Have cut down on minoxidil from every day to only 2 days in a week and still not shedding like before. I will keep this combo of 1mg finasteride and twice a week nizoral and minoxidil application.

My hairline's receded too but I have noticed one major difference. Before I went on finasteride, the hair on my sides would grow quicker than on scalp. SInce I started finasteride hair all over my head grows evenly (this only after I had massive shed all over including on the sides).

No longer do i need to buzz my hair>> 3 on top and 1 on sides cause it all grows evenly now.

Just a question for you, from where do you get your fincar??