Lactoferrin As A Promoter Of Hair Growth

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's always the same story :

-Trying a new thing
-oO wait guys, my shedding stopped.
[ Lot of pages on the thread....]
-This sh*t does nothing, my shedding increase and i have no regrowth.

Always the same story....

Decreasing shedding is a mirage. Nothing else.

How about you suck it?

We'll do whatever the f*** we want in this thread. What are you? Hair loss police?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
bro, are you sure it's the right akg? the one you are taking has been blended with calcium and magnesium salts to form Alpha-ketoglutarate. Is it irrelevant? Thank you. https://nl.iherb.com/pr/Kirkman-Labs-Alpha-Ketoglutaric-Acid-300-mg-100-Capsules/58317

I am not using that Kirkman product though. Where did I say so?

I'm using Seeking Health's AKG, the same one I linked in the other thread:

https://www.seekinghealth.com/products/alpha-ketoglutarate-60-capsules

It's the one with the least amount of crap in it that I found. I wish we could find a pure powder, that would be the most ideal, though I am not sure if it is still effective when bound to other aminoacids like ornithine and such.

Oppenheimer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not using that Kirkman product though. Where did I say so?

I'm using Seeking Health's AKG, the same one I linked in the other thread:

https://www.seekinghealth.com/products/alpha-ketoglutarate-60-capsules

It's the one with the least amount of crap in it that I found. I wish we could find a pure powder, that would be the most ideal, though I am not sure if it is still effective when bound to other aminoacids like ornithine and such.
Outstanding bro, thank you!

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 month update with pics:

IMG_20190716_220946.jpg IMG_20190716_220723.jpg IMG_20190716_221113.jpg IMG_20190716_223933.jpg

- Hairline is above baseline.
- Temples are a bit worse, yet still above baseline.
- Midpart, damn. I noticed the wider part during the periode of excessive shedding from week 4 till week 7 (200+ hairs daily). I don't have a baseline pic of midpart because that wasnt an issue in may.
- I still have "frizzy" hairs which I can't style. I believe LF is speeding up my hair growth.

Shedding had returned to pre-LF now. I've also ordered a-keto and give that a try for the shedding.

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 123687 View attachment 123688 View attachment 123689 View attachment 123692

- Midpart, damn. I noticed the wider part during the periode of excessive shedding from week 4 till week 7 (200+ hairs daily). I don't have a baseline pic of midpart because that wasnt an issue in may.
- I still have "frizzy" hairs which I can't style. I believe LF is speeding up my hair growth.

Shedding had returned to pre-LF now. I've also ordered a-keto and give that a try for the shedding.
are u woman ?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 123687 View attachment 123688 View attachment 123689 View attachment 123692

Your hair seems to be cycling in a telogen effluvium pattern. Usually in Androgenetic Alopecia there is no intense shedding but instead a slow progressive death of hairs. So you could recover spontaneously and conclude that the treatment is "working". This happened to me 20 years ago when I stopped finasteride and made a complete hair growth recovery after 1 year which does not make sense, except if it was Telogen Effluvium the whole time.

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair seems to be cycling in a telogen effluvium pattern.

That's true.

Usually in Androgenetic Alopecia there is no intense shedding but instead a slow progressive death of hairs. So you could recover spontaneously and conclude that the treatment is "working". This happened to me 20 years ago when I stopped finasteride and made a complete hair growth recovery after 1 year which does not make sense, except if it was Telogen Effluvium the whole time.

Honestly want to believe it's only Chronic Telogen effluvium (CTE). The dermatalogist concluded I have CTE + Androgenetic Alopecia with a hair wash test, visual examination and based on family history. But from what I've learned on this forum in the past year you can argue her method isn't solid. For example, she didn't take pics of my scalp to wstablish minituarization.

My hairloss was slow until last year. I was on heavy AA (birth control) for 13 years. Changing birth control (Mirena, high in androgens) has put me in a massive telogen effluvium.

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My update to this is that I'm gonna go on finasteride. My shed has remained consistently low since my initial shed, but I believe I'm seeing further miniaturization of my frontal hairline. I do see some small vellus hairs in front of my hairline, but the smart money says that was just the remnants of my previous hairline. I'm gonna continue with the lactoferrin and a-kg while on finasteride, but I would regret not giving the most proven hairloss treatment a shot. Good luck to everyone in this thread, I'll still be keeping an eye on it.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
My update to this is that I'm gonna go on finasteride. My shed has remained consistently low since my initial shed, but I believe I'm seeing further miniaturization of my frontal hairline. I do see some small vellus hairs in front of my hairline, but the smart money says that was just the remnants of my previous hairline. I'm gonna continue with the lactoferrin and a-kg while on finasteride, but I would regret not giving the most proven hairloss treatment a shot. Good luck to everyone in this thread, I'll still be keeping an eye on it.

Lol R.I.P.

I also think lactoferrin is useless at this point. Not sure about a-KG, I think that it actually has potential, as I've seen some rejuvenation of the most recently miniaturizing hairs since adding it, but with lactoferrin I've noticed absolutely nothing even though I used it longer and in fact seems to make my hair feel weak and shittier after application.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
can you elaborate?

I dunno maybe I am talking out of my ***. Looking at the pictures it's hard to tell anything.
Been on lactoferrin 2 months and a-KG about 2 weeks. But I'm not on any anti-androgens so... maybe it is at least maintenance. I'm still shedding a lot however, and will probably try to add more things because I expected more from this regimen.

upload_2019-7-27_12-56-21.png
(right one is after)

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dunno maybe I am talking out of my ***. Looking at the pictures it's hard to tell anything.
Been on lactoferrin 2 months and a-KG about 2 weeks. But I'm not on any anti-androgens so... maybe it is at least maintenance. I'm still shedding a lot however, and will probably try to add more things because I expected more from this regimen.

View attachment 125059
(right one is after)
What is your source and dose for a-KG. Sorry if you said it earlier and I missed it. I tried to scroll back for a bit and look.

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your source and dose for a-KG. Sorry if you said ur earlier and I missed it. I tried to scroll back for a bit and look.

Seeking Health alpha-Ketoglutarate

Not sure what the ideal dose is yet, I started out 5 mg / mL every other day, but now I'm trying twice a day. I don't think it's possible to 'oversignal' AMPK/mTOR in Androgenetic Alopecia... DHT is there all day to knock down your anagen signals and if anything, we're chronically deficient in those, I'm pretty sure using it more often is going to give better results, but we'll see.

Mightyduck

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been observing this forum and I myself have been experimenting with Lactoferrin for just under two months.

A bit about my hair loss history. I am a diffuse thinner so I still have a decent hairline however for the past few years my crown has been getting noticeably thinner but I'm still at the stage where people don't really notice it unless i've just woken up or the hair is really sweaty/wet.

So before I started using Lactoferrin, I was shredding quite a bit of hair. If i was to do the pull test there would be times when I was pulling out 3-4 hairs each pull but if I pulled from the crown area it could be 8 hairs sometimes. Also easily shredding over 100 + hairs a day

I decided to start applying Lactoferrin once a day. Each morning I make up the following solution;
- 5ml Water
- 1x 300g capsule Lactoferrin LifeExtension
- 3 drops of hair solution which contains Biotin oil, cator oil, Rosemary Oil and a few others (buy this off amazon)

I rub the solution onto my scalp and use a comb to help spread it evenly and leave it in for a few hours. At first when I use to do this I would have about 30ish hairs on the comb and on my hands when rubbing it in.

After two months what have I noticed:
There has been a consistent reduction in shredding. Now when I apply the solution I only have around 10ish hairs on the comb and my hands. I also notice less hairs on my pillow. Whenever I try the pull test I get a max of 1 hair out and this applies even to the crown area. I also feel like my hairs have thickened up a bit. Hair also feels and looks healthier as some others have noted but I have not really seen any new hairs coming in. But so far I am satisfied with the outcome so far.

I don't do micro needling so I may dabble in that to see if this could potentially create hair neo-genesis. I also don't take finasteride or use minoxidil.

One thing to note is that the solution I use is about 55-60 g/ml which is much stronger than what I've seen other users in this forum use. Maybe this is something you guys need to try to see better results.

I'm going to continue with this regime for at least 6-12 months as I feel this is the only way I can accurately judge this experiment

Last edited:

Jochem

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been observing this forum and I myself have been experimenting with Lactoferrin for just under two months.

A bit about my hair loss history. I am a diffuse thinner so I still have a decent hairline however for the past few years my crown has been getting noticeably thinner but I'm still at the stage where people don't really notice it unless i've just woken up or the hair is really sweaty/wet.

So before I started using Lactoferrin, I was shredding quite a bit of hair. If i was to do the pull test there would be times when I was pulling out 3-4 hairs each pull but if I pulled from the crown area it could be 8 hairs sometimes. Also easily shredding over 100 + hairs a day

I decided to start applying Lactoferrin once a day. Each morning I make up the following solution;
- 5ml Water
- 1x 300g capsule Lactoferrin LifeExtension
- 3 drops of hair solution which contains Biotin oil, cator oil, Rosemary Oil and a few others (buy this off amazon)

I rub the solution onto my scalp and use a comb to help spread it evenly and leave it in for a few hours. At first when I use to do this I would have about 30ish hairs on the comb and on my hands when rubbing it in.

After two months what have I noticed:
There has been a consistent reduction in shredding. Now when I apply the solution I only have around 10ish hairs on the comb and my hands. I also notice less hairs on my pillow. Whenever I try the pull test I get a max of 1 hair out and this applies even to the crown area. I also feel like my hairs have thickened up a bit. Hair also feels and looks healthier as some others have noted but I have not really seen any new hairs coming in. But so far I am satisfied with the outcome so far.

I don't do micro needling so I may dabble in that to see if this could potentially create hair neo-genesis. I also don't take finasteride or use minoxidil.

One thing to note is that the solution I use is about 55-60 g/ml which is much stronger than what I've seen other users in this forum use. Maybe this is something you guys need to try to see better results.

I'm going to continue with this regime for at least 6-12 months as I feel this is the only way I can accurately judge this experiment

I assume you mean 55-60mg /ml. I have been using similar for the last couple of weeks. Before that around 100mg/ml but that didnt dissolve properly.

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was tired of applying different lotions, so I added a-kg + zix (without alcohol) to the lactoferrin mix in the past two weeks.

For now shedding has slowed down a lot, but I know that can change again in a matter of weeks .

Will report back in a couple months

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m about to hit 3 months being on Lactoferrin. When I apply it my scalp still feels amazing and relaxed. My crown recently started to thin about a year ago. I think it’s definitely helping with thickening up my crown. Last picture I took I couldn’t even find a spot with noticeable thinning. I also think it’s helping with the miniaturized hairs in the front. Will post before and after pictures tommorow