"JUST shave it" - they always say

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
I realize now that all women and all non-balding men always say the same things, they say "if I went bald I'd just shave it" or "you should just shave it".

JUST shave it...

That word "just" really minimizes the reality of the situation. They make it sound as though it's a one time solution.

First of all, it's not a one time thing, it's an every week for the rest of your life thing. It's ironic that a bald man would cut his hair more often than people with lots of hair.

Secondly; solution? Bald is bald. Shaving your head does not mean you are not balding anymore and it also doesn't mean that people don't notice you are balding.

So when people constantly repeat the "just shave it" mantra, I can't help but feel even more like other people have no idea what it's like to lose your hair.

B

Beingbaldsucks

Unless you got a really ugly bald hole or holes in your crown or if your hairline is messed up, you should NEVER shave it

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Very nice thinking OP.
People just say it wihout any knowledge about the real situation.

BBS, you think young guys look better with grown and weak NW3, NW3.5+ ... , then with buzzed or shaved head?

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
What they simply mean is that a shaved head looks better than a grown out NW4+ in most cases. Not many people look better bald than with hair, but the same also applies to a shaved head vs horseshoe.

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
Maystor said:
What they simply mean is that a shaved head looks better than a grown out NW4+ in most cases. Not many people look better bald than with hair, but the same also applies to a shaved head vs horseshoe.

I'm really not so sure about that.

1. people can still see the horsehoe pattern unless you are shaved razor close 24/7. so what's the real difference?

2. shaved heads are only recently considered normal or acceptable. for 1000's of years a totally bald head was a mark of shame. what happened to that?

slipy

Reaction score
i strongly disagree with the slybald notion that a shaved head always looks better than a short buzzed horseshoe. shaved head can often make you look less human, a buzzed horseshoe is more preferable.

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
I still don't quite see why a grown out yet neatly kept nw4+ can't be worn handsomely.

To me it brings to mind the image of a 19th century gentleman. Look at U.S. President Garifled. Doesn't he look dignified?

427.jpg

And what is Vin Diesel compared to him?

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Captain Obvious said:
I still don't quite see why a grown out yet neatly kept nw4+ can't be worn handsomely.

To me it brings to mind the image of a 19th century gentleman. Look at U.S. President Garifled. Doesn't he look dignified?

427.jpg

And what is Vin Diesel compared to him?

You have right toughts, just wrong conclusion CO.
I agree with you, this man looks much more respectful and dignified, but he CAN NOT be considered handsome.
For my POV, i would much more like to see and be in company of this man then Vin Diesel, but thats only mine (yours) opinion.

Imagine young guy nowdays with this look/style ?!
I mean, he would be one of the biggest street clowns without a doubt.
This style can be considered OK for an older man, but its WIERD and UNATTRACTIVE on young guy.

Girls dont and never will watch this appereance as attractive and handsome. Unfortunately.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Ed Harris grown out Vs Shaved:

[attachment=1:2va345fs]ed-harris.jpg[/attachment:2va345fs]

[attachment=0:2va345fs]The_Firm_9626_Medium.jpg[/attachment:2va345fs]

I'd say he looks far better grown out.

Attachments

• ed-harris.jpg
    ed-harris.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,721
  • The_Firm_9626_Medium.jpg
    The_Firm_9626_Medium.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,462

s.a.f

Reaction score
There are alot of guys on here who think you should shave it as soon as any hairloss is noticable.

seb

Reaction score
No,I feel you should only shave when(like me) you are fully bald,and can obviously only grow at the back and sides,or IF shaved looks better than receeding.

seb

Reaction score
Ed harris is fair-skinned,thus is at a distinct disadvantage sly,compared too a darker haired man(although sly in general is severe).

slipy

Reaction score
seb said:
Ed is fortunate he has a little hair on top too grow it out like that.

he doesn't really anymore, but still looks better with the horsershoe than in the sly pic. it's just might be his particular case, but he looks like a :freak: shaved. i don't intend to say this is the rule for every case.

seb

Reaction score
Fair-skinned men as a whole look terrible sly,this is why I wear a goatee,although I get ridiculed for that....I suppose society still havent got their head around a man with more hair on his chin than on his head....you would think people would be more understanding!

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
Ed looks better shaved to me in those pics :dunno:

Seb, you get ridiculed for wearing a goatee? Seriously?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Captain Obvious said:
It's ironic that a bald man would cut his hair more often than people with lots of hair.

Wow that's totally true... and to the opposite effect. Like when someone with hair gets a new haircut, he is praised and complemented but when a bald guy gives himself a fresh shave it's business as usual. :shakehead:

[quote="Captain Obvious"Secondly; solution? Bald is bald. Shaving your head does not mean you are not balding anymore and it also doesn't mean that people don't notice you are balding.[/quote]

Correct and the only way for a bald guy to hide it is to wear a hat or a toupee. Shaving doesn't hide sh*t and is pretty much an admission to hair loss. Shaving is just bald guys poor attempt at minimizing the damning visual impact of the horseshoe.

seb

Reaction score
Maystor said:

Yes,seriously.Obviously people dont realise(or believe) how much I am despise by the majority of society.

seb

Reaction score
Rival said:
If you are over 50ish, then having the grown out horseshoe does look better and more dignified than a shaved head, hence why it works on the given examples. If you are in your 20's and 30's, then the grown out horseshoe does not work as it makes you look like you are 40-50 instead of looking your real age.

It just does not work if you wanna dress and look like a 20-30 something.

Old people who shave their heads are the same way. It just doesn't look right if they wanna act their age. Some guys it does, like Ben Kingsley.

Yes,IF I reach my forties(not that I want too),I am looking forward to growing my horseshoe out,and growing a full beard....perhaps at that age I will be allowed too by society,without question,and ridicule.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
seb said:
Maystor said:

Yes,seriously.Obviously people dont realise(or believe) how much I am despise by the majority of society.
I've had a goatee for like 10 years now and I don't really remember a single negative comment :dunno: I'm not bald yet though.