It's a losing battle, don't get transplant surgery

G

That's why using the effective hairloss meds goes hand-in-hand with hair transplants. As we know, the meds are elective so it all comes down to a personal decision.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
So if I were to get an hair transplant, after two sessions my donor hair would be used up and I would have nothing left to fill in the blanks later when my other hairs die. So I guess I would have to go on the meds to try to at least keep those diminished hairs in place. My other concern is if I have no donor hair left, then am I'm pretty much screwed if and when HM comes out?

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
not necessarily, they could get the donor from the nape of the neck.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
That's not necessarily safe, either. My NW7 father's "neck hairline" has receded a lot upwards. (He also has lost his temple points and the hair above his sideburns, so basically his hairline starts just a little in front of his ears.)

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
So if I were to get an hair transplant, after two sessions my donor hair would be used up and I would have nothing left to fill in the blanks later when my other hairs die. So I guess I would have to go on the meds to try to at least keep those diminished hairs in place. My other concern is if I have no donor hair left, then am I'm pretty much screwed if and when HM comes out?

The term 'donor region' is not all your DHT resistant hair just the part where the surgeon can safetly extract a strip and close the inscision. You wont be totally out of individual donor hairs you'll still have 1000's of DHT resistant hairs on the back and sides of your head. Surgeons dont use the nape hairs because they can possible suffer future loss.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
S.A.F. there is actually I surgeon I know who uses nape hairs and has produced great results. Norsk, I understand the logic that it can fall out in future, however if you are mapped out properly for miniaturization and that is not an issue, then surely nape of neck is plausible.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have often thought that using nape hairs would be ideal for softening the hairline, although what is the point of spending $$$'s on something that may be lost in later years

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:
S.A.F. there is actually I surgeon I know who uses nape hairs and has produced great results. Norsk, I understand the logic that it can fall out in future, however if you are mapped out properly for miniaturization and that is not an issue, then surely nape of neck is plausible.

Is it really true that you map out an area for miniaturization and declare an area to be safe from future balding as a result of that? That would be great if it's true, since I'm only thinning in a sort of NW6 pattern while my closest male relatives are all NW7. I have basically ruled out ever getting a hair transplant since I thought I could never be safe from NW7-ness, but if the sides of my head were proven to be safe, maybe that could change.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Norsk, love the new picture. Your inspiring me to change my avatar.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Yeah Norsk, dude you look awesome with a shaved bald head! Totally badass. You should keep it. Looks better than keeping that thinning maine you had before...

You look more powerful and in control now.

G

Examination for miniturization is very helpful and a must IMO to see where male pattern baldness is progressing and knowing the areas it is impeding. The only thing to keep in mind is that miniturization may not show up in the broader regions of the scalp until later into the 30's. But that's where consideration of family history can be helpful as well.

G

I would not recommend the use of nape hair to anyone who has donor thinning or retro-alopecia in their family history.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just giving an option. If you don't lose nape hairs, that few thousand grafts extra for your dome. If they fall out and your scar shows, tell everyone you were in a knife fight saving an elderly woman. Either way, you come out looking good.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its a big gamble itneverrains.

I notice many older men lose their nape hair in thier later years, my dad is in his late 50's but still has a hairy neck, my hairloss is very similar to his and I would like to use nape hair for my hairline in the future but I know how risky this is, gill is 100% right in what he says.

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree either, but again it is an option, maybe not the one you or I would chose, but it is an option.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It would probably be the only option.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Using nape hairs have been discussed many times, gilenantor advises against using the nape hairs because they are not DHT resistant, you see a lot of older guys with receeding napes.

Myself have often thought that using nape hairs would be ideal for softening hairline and temples but this is a big gamble.

G

I would still ultimately judge it by family history. I mean if your father, grandfather, older uncles, etc experience donor area thinning or loss of nape hair, that's telling you something. It tells you that chances are, it will happen to you as well as you get older.

Just yesterday, I was standing in line at the grocery store behind an older man I would judge in his seventies. He had lots of snow white nape hair. Take note that he did not have any signs of male pattern baldness anywhere on his scalp either. Full head of hair. If your male relatives look like this in their older years and don't lose nape hair, chances are you won't either.

The fundamental challenge or problem is that those of us who want/need hair transplant surgery do indeed have male pattern baldness and run a higher risk of losing that hair eventually.