It's a losing battle, don't get transplant surgery

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thats why its best not to tell people how much it costs. Its funny no one will critsize you for spending money on a car or pretty much anything but something like a hair transplant that will actually make a significant difference to your life and they'll call you vain and say its a total waste of money. :dunno:

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
f*** the BMW unless it doubles as a hat.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Lucky_UK said:
I do worry about further hairloss and more hair transplant's down the line, financially I couldn't afford $30k but if I had to I would finance it somehow (illegally)

Thats terrible LUCKY! How could you consider such a thing!! You're a monster!

:mrgreen:

I know.....

The grannies love me :freak:

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
f*** the BMW unless it doubles as a hat.
No, but you could get a BMW hat, BMW glasses, BMW watch and a BMW track suit to go with the BMW, just to show people how exclusive you really are.
Thats why its best not to tell people how much it costs. Its funny no one will critsize you for spending money on a car or pretty much anything but something like a hair transplant that will actually make a significant difference to your life and they'll call you vain and say its a total waste of money. :dunno:
That just goes to show the difference in mentality between those with hair and those without. When you have it you take it for granted, but when you loose it you will go to any lengths to get it back. The accusations of vanity I feel are incorrect. It is not about trying to look beautiful, it is about looking normal. That reminds me of something someone said about racism-"black people can't be racist, because they are the ones being oppressed." I disagreed and told her that anyone can be a racist. Now I think the same way she did about bald guys and vanity-"Bald men can't be vain, because they lack an essential component of beauty." I know this is flawed logic, but I believe it is true because loosing my hair has been a humiliating, humbling experience and isn't that the opposite of vanity?

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
UMan,

I don't think that is wrong. Bald people want their back (many of them). There are many who look great bald. I know one guy who looks fine. He is very tan and always shaved it very low his whole life so the difference wasn't much at all. What you said was exactly right. At least for me. I don't want to look great. I want to look normal. I want to feel comfortable.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I feel like I will need a total of around 7000 grafts. Does this seem like too much, S.A.F.?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
From the sites I visited, 3 to 4k was more than average. But of course that was for NW3 and 4s.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
That just goes to show the difference in mentality between those with hair and those without. When you have it you take it for granted, but when you loose it you will go to any lengths to get it back. The accusations of vanity I feel are incorrect. It is not about trying to look beautiful, it is about looking normal.

That's everything though, we always take things for granted, If for instance you where to have an accident, in which you lost your legs, You would feel like a complete idiot for being so obsessed with something as unimportant as hair.

Your also saying, that to be normal you have to have hair? This seems wrong, Normal by who's standards exactly? what exactly is normal looking? I've seen plenty of people with full beautiful heads of hair yet I'm not sure I would classify them as normal looking. Being normal shouldn't even be a priority, normals boring, and in many senses impossible to attain, since there will always be someone who disagrees with someone else, on what normal is.

On us being vain, well, I'm not really sure that it's impossible, A lot of us do seem to be obsessed with the way we look, that is "vain" By some semblance of the word. Since we have no hair to be vain about, we are vain about that exact fact. When I think of vain, I think of someone who is fixated with a part of themselves that they find beautiful or better then someone else's, Someone can be vain with about any part of their physique, In most cases however with hairloss. Instead of puffing people up, with arrogance and such, it sucks that exact thing away from people who lack or think they lack something crucial when it comes to their cosmetic appearance. But simply because it's not a textbook reaction, doesn't mean being vain is an impossibility.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I feel like I will need a total of around 7000 grafts. Does this seem like too much, S.A.F.?
Well for a nw5/6 its going to take pretty much all the donor that you have and that could typicaly be anywhere from 5 - 8,000. Even then you may have to settle for a thin crown or a slightly high hairline, but having been there myself I know that does'nt seem like to bad a compromise in your current situation.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
[quote="S.a.f":3kljpl2i]Thats why its best not to tell people how much it costs. Its funny no one will critsize you for spending money on a car or pretty much anything but something like a hair transplant that will actually make a significant difference to your life and they'll call you vain and say its a total waste of money. :dunno:

That just goes to show the difference in mentality between those with hair and those without. When you have it you take it for granted, but when you loose it you will go to any lengths to get it back. The accusations of vanity I feel are incorrect. It is not about trying to look beautiful, it is about looking normal. [/quote:3kljpl2i]

its not just hair people tend to criticise any attempt to improve your appearance via surgery. Society says its alright to be beautiful but only as long as you're born that way. :roll:

As for the question posed by Eureka 'What is normal'? Well I think normal is the most average everything typicaly the most conventional way possible.
So with that in mind I believe that if 90% of men were nw7 the 10% that had hair would most likely choose to shave it off to fit in with the norm.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
So with that in mind I believe that if 90% of men were nw7 the 10% that had hair would most likely choose to shave it off to fit in with the norm.

Or the 10% would be put on a pedestal and worshipped as gods.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
The people who would criticize someone for getting any type of cosmetic surgery are the same people that make you feel bad for being the way you are so F them. If it makes you feel better, get the surgery. I guess it also depends on the individual's case who wants the surgery. If someone has a particular feature that is causing them grief like a huge misshapen nose or ears that stick out too much or being cross eyed, I would condone surgery. But if someone does not have anything in particular thats wrong with them, they just want to look like a barbie doll then I would find that harder to accept. But really who cares, what business is it of mine what someone else does to their body or conversely, what business is it of anyone else if I want to get an hair transplant?

s.a.f

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
s.a.f said:

No they'd be on forum for hairy freaks discussing how to stop it from growing.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
metalheaddude said:
[quote="s.a.f":1w2xqi3t]

No they'd be on forum for hairy freaks discussing how to stop it from growing.[/quote:1w2xqi3t]

lol

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Everyone has just a limited amount of donor hair to use in their entire lives. In most causes it's barely enough to reverse 2-3 Norwood levels if you want decent thick-looking density.- Cal said this in another thread. Would you say this is accurate S.A.F.?

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
The people who would criticize someone for getting any type of cosmetic surgery are the same people that make you feel bad for being the way you are so F them. If it makes you feel better, get the surgery. I guess it also depends on the individual's case who wants the surgery. If someone has a particular feature that is causing them grief like a huge misshapen nose or ears that stick out too much or being cross eyed, I would condone surgery. But if someone does not have anything in particular thats wrong with them, they just want to look like a barbie doll then I would find that harder to accept. But really who cares, what business is it of mine what someone else does to their body or conversely, what business is it of anyone else if I want to get an hair transplant?

I would look badly upon someone for getting cosmetic surgery but only if it's not for a good reason. If someone is scarred, has something very embarrassing, is one thing. But people get surgery so they don't have to diet and exercise, which I find disgusting.

s.a.f

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Everyone has just a limited amount of donor hair to use in their entire lives. In most causes it's barely enough to reverse 2-3 Norwood levels if you want decent thick-looking density.- Cal said this in another thread. Would you say this is accurate S.A.F.?

It depends, the average person has about 4000-8000 grafts available in their donor area. But the average hair transplant patient is only a nw2/3/4 and so can afford to use up a good 50/60/70% on just the front. If you have a higher degree of loss ie NW5/6 you will most likely have to use all the donor available and may then have to settle for a thinner density.
It all depends on what you want, as you know these NW2/3 guys have very high standards and want perfect thick hair whilst balder guys are more likely to settle for thinner density.

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
It depends, the average person has about 4000-8000 grafts available in their donor area. But the average hair transplant patient is only a nw2/3/4 and so can afford to use up a good 50/60/70% on just the front. If you have a higher degree of loss ie NW5/6 you will most likely have to use all the donor available and may then have to settle for a thinner density.
It all depends on what you want, as you know these NW2/3 guys have very high standards and want perfect thick hair whilst balder guys are more likely to settle for thinner density.

I think I would rather have thicker in some areas while thin in others. Like I don't mind the front being thin. I would want the top and sides to be thicker so from the side it doesn't look like I am bald. EVen the crown I would want thicker than the front. Like I have said before, James Gandolfini's hair would be a VAST improvement for me. But getting strip to me is just not smart because if the grafts don't "take" then you lose the shaving option without scars.