It's a losing battle, don't get transplant surgery

stancables

Reaction score
I'm 23 and I did a 1100 hair graft transplant surgery at 22.

I can tell you I'm just as selfconscious about people noticing I had the procedure as I was about my hair loss. Now I'm still selfconscious about the hair loss, and the procedure.

Does anyone who have a procedure NOT have this psychological scar??

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey stan, ive seen your pic on the avodart forum and i gotta say i cant tell one bit you had an hair transplant. The first time i saw the pic i didnt know you had work done and didnt notice anything unusual. But after seeing this i went back to see if i could tell and i gotta say it looks 100% natural, its impossible to tell you had an hair transplant, from that pic atleast and its a good shot of your hairline. where did you get the hair transplant at?

s.a.f

Reaction score
You had a paltry 1100 grafts at the age of 23 !!! :shakehead:
How can you claim that all hair transplant's are bad?

metalheaddude

Reaction score
stancables said:
I can tell you I'm just as selfconscious about people noticing I had the procedure as I was about my hair loss

I think he raises a good point here. I worry about this aspect of a hair transplant. If the work is not 100% what you expect then it may play on your mind that others could detect it and this could be even worse than the hairloss itself :freak:

HatPrisoner91

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
I think he raises a good point here. I worry about this aspect of a hair transplant. If the work is not 100% what you expect then it may play on your mind that others could detect it and this could be even worse than the hairloss itself :freak:

I'm surprised an hair transplant Doctor did an op on him at that early an age. I don't know his specifics but I have to assume his hairloss has slowed down or stopped and it's not major?

If I were to miraculously get an hair transplant, I wouldn't worry about how great they. As long as the hair are there, I would just keep it buzzed like I do know. Any more hair is better than none at all I think.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends on your mindset. I am at the point if I had hair transplant I would not be able to hide it anyway and would just fess up and be proud I am doing something to help my self image, Its your hair just transplanted from a different location. I would be asking people on a monthly basis if they saw an improvement. Then again that is if you go to a top surgeon and get great results. just IMHO. Thats how I would have to look at it. There is no way i could fully heal in 2 weeks anyway. But then again I am the same type of person that refuses to hide under a hat. To tell you the truth my next step is to buzz it to a #1 just so I can wear a god damn hat again. I miss those days.

G

Surgical hair restoration is not a perfect science yet can achieve some very natural aesthetic appearing results with the right doctor. IMO, the author is being too hard on himself.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
mmm I think it's a bit of a statement to say that universally, No one should have an hair transplant done. Although it may not be for everyone, it works for a lot of people. It seems to me that people are generally self conscious to a detrimental degree in the months directly after the hair transplant operation. When it is noticeable, But after a few months 6-10 It seems to fill in nicely, and if you got it done correctly, then aside from your hairdresser or someone else who's had an hair transplant it shouldn't be noticeable at all.

Your issue seems to be personal, this isn't necessarily something that will happen to everyone or if it does happen will be temporary.

Some people will simply always find something wrong with themselves, Sometimes people strive and strive for something they think will fix everything. once they get it they discover they have simply moved onto something else to find wrong with themselves, or they pick and prod at what they got, In your case an hair transplant.

I haven't had an hair transplant yet, But I hope when I do that I do not have this reaction :(

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
If I were to get an hair transplant (which I would seriously like to, considering I'm past the point for meds to work), I would need to get alot of work done, which IMO is more risky. Because of this I would have to go to the best doctor possible. Once you take that step you can't go back, for better or worse. Ideally, I would get the same density on top from the crown to the hairline as I do on the sides and back, but even if it fall a little short of that, I would still be happy- just as long as it is not obvious that I had work done. But I've seen people in my situation [NW5] get the kind of results I would be giddy about, so at this point I am remaining cautiously optimistic.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 23 as well and hair loss has really bothered me. I've had people insult me by pointing out my balding problems. Its such a big insult that you have have nothing left to say. Even if someone defends you its considered an insult because they are acknowledging the truth, by telling others not to tell you the truth. Then there are times when hair dressers tell you that you can't grow your hair too long or that you limited options for cutting it. Its just crazy. So i don't fully blame people for getting transplants at an early age. However, we still have sites that warn us about hair transplants. The big problems with transplants is you still continue to loose hair from other parts of your scalp, and secondly they are just too expensive. I've loosing hair since i was 17 so i am used to the insults now. I can wait till i am 30. Besides they are coming a robotic technology that will give provide better hair transplants. This technology will lower the cost of hair transplants and give better results.

s.a.f

Reaction score
khali said:
Besides they are coming a robotic technology that will give provide better hair transplants. This technology will lower the cost of hair transplants and give better results.
Follicular placement is an art it has to be done by hand to achieve natural looking results and use the limited donor grafts to achieve the maximum coverage.
As for costs dont expect them to ever come down. (Do you even know whats involved?) Yes hair transplant's are expensive but they could'nt be any cheaper otherwise it simply would'nt be worth the surgeons time.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually there is another good technology which already out, but the FDA isn't approving it right now due to economical reasons. Its a hair transplant robot that allow doctors to use a robotic hand for transplants. This is what i am waiting for.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=44995

s.a.f

Reaction score
http://www.google.com/patents?id=x0V7AA ... n+robotics[/quote]
What a joke ! That looks like a drawing done about 200yrs ago of a futuristic hair machine. There was no no detail as to what specific technology and components it would use and how it would actualy work. I would'nt get my hopes up waiting for that one.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
IMO, if you want a way out of the nightmare then hair transplant is probably the best solution. You will likely still take meds afterward, but it is nowhere near the hassle of endless cycles of shedding and waiting years to barely notice a difference if you squint. The risks for hair transplant are still pretty severe but should be greatly reduced with proper research and the quality word of mouth that this site provides, which leaves little excuse for falling victim to a chop shop. The only issue that remains is where do I get 150,000 dollars?

s.a.f

Reaction score
$150,000 !?!?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
If not that much, then how much? I really want to do this, but I need to have a realistic expectation of how much it will cost. $50,000?

IBM

Reaction score
50000$ at minimum for lots of procedures. Problem with hair transplant is maintainance. One procedure isnt enough for lifetime.