Is There Actually A Correlation Between Masturbation And Increased Dht / T? My Scalp Says There Is.

abcdefg

Reaction score
im pretty sure watching p*rn would increase testosterone.

evidence for this is scarce, and very weak but this is possible. There was one small study that suggested T does spike, but its only temporarily. So I think long term this is almost irrelevant unless your having sex 24 hours a day every day.

abcdefg

Reaction score
While this is very impressive it does not show a correlation between hair loss. Please note that the main cause of hair loss is not the below mentioned hormones as they are present in most males but the fact that there is an imbalance and usually related to nutritional deficencies. If you resolve the deficencies then the hair withstands the increase in normal hormonal activity post sex and masterbation.

id argue one of the only things we know for sure with male pattern baldness is that male hormones cause male pattern baldness directly and simply by themselves. Just from a common sense point of view dont male hormones make good sense? Its one of the key differences between men and women, women dont go bald most of the time, they dont grow beards and back hair. I mean the pieces really do fit. There is so much evidence with propecia/dutasteride/castrated men/pseudo hermphradites its tough to argue against the importance of androgens.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you ejaculate, you lose a lot of zinc, a key mineral.

I'm sure hair loss, in many imdividuals, is tied to sexual activity, but I cannot imagine a study ever being done on it, other than an epidemiological one.

Original poster: I assume you must also suffer from seborrheic dermatitis?

no, I don't. My scalp has been evaluated by several derms and it is clean and healthy. the inflammation is within. I can feel it. It was caused by finasteride years ago and continues to this day.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
evidence for this is scarce, and very weak but this is possible. There was one small study that suggested T does spike, but its only temporarily. So I think long term this is almost irrelevant unless your having sex 24 hours a day every day.
I imagine it would hard to get completely accurate evidence, I don't think I would really be into the p**rn video if I was being monitored in lab, lol.

id argue one of the only things we know for sure with male pattern baldness is that male hormones cause male pattern baldness directly and simply by themselves. Just from a common sense point of view dont male hormones make good sense? Its one of the key differences between men and women, women dont go bald most of the time, they dont grow beards and back hair. I mean the pieces really do fit. There is so much evidence with propecia/dutasteride/castrated men/pseudo hermphradites its tough to argue against the importance of androgens.
I was trying to tell him this many times. -_-

sachalamp

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this conversation has been had a million times. To me there is a very strict correlation between sexual arousal, masterbation and intense scalp inflammation. It's simple -

times where I don't masturbate for a few days - scalp inflammation is drastically reduced.

When I masturbate 1-2 times a day - scalp inflammation is insane and constant.

When I look at p*rn for an extended period of time and masturbate - scalp inflammation is even worst. unbearable.

While looking at p*rn - my testicles start to tingle and I immediately get burning in hairline and itching / crawling in midscalp and crown.

I know y'all will think this is funny or stupid, but I promise it's 100% accurate and to me very interesting. I just recently started to abstain from masturbating, and reduce it to only twice a week. So far, it has made an IMMENSE difference.

Say what you will, but you guys know me and know that I am very very overly skeptical of everything. So, this is the truth.

How is this possible? can it really make such a difference.

Definitely my case too. I don't know if it's DHT related or something else, like stress (because i used to compulsively masturbate especially when i was under stress), but something is happening.

And i've been on and off nofap for years and on the clock, whenever i binged i got scalp inflammation, itching, greasiness and hairloss. Worst was when i went at it multiple times per day or for long periods (like 1h+)

Stop for a few days or weeks, scalp got infinitely better, less or 0 hair loss.

But a proper stop meant stopping fantasies and edging as well.

I did not get scalp inflammation and the rest after regular sex, just after p**rn/masturbation. I remember a study saying 400% more oxytocin or pgd or something is released more in sex than masturbation. Point being is that sex and masturbation trigger different body/hormonal reaction even if they technically have the same ending.

Artisan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely my case too. I don't know if it's DHT related or something else, like stress (because i used to compulsively masturbate especially when i was under stress), but something is happening.

And i've been on and off nofap for years and on the clock, whenever i binged i got scalp inflammation, itching, greasiness and hairloss. Worst was when i went at it multiple times per day or for long periods (like 1h+)

Stop for a few days or weeks, scalp got infinitely better, less or 0 hair loss.

But a proper stop meant stopping fantasies and edging as well.

I did not get scalp inflammation and the rest after regular sex, just after p*rn/masturbation. I remember a study saying 400% more oxytocin or pgd or something is released more in sex than masturbation. Point being is that sex and masturbation trigger different body/hormonal reaction even if they technically have the same ending.

I'm glad this thread is back on point. Yeah I agree they trigger different responses in the body and should be viewed differently. I've never had the issues that Buckthorn has mentioned but I can imagine it is annoying as hell.

Personally I think this issue is bigger than inflammation of the scalp and as men we really need to address it. I used to Masturbate a lot but I realised that watching naked ladies was not only giving me erectile problems but was also greatly changing my perception of women and my physical interaction with them. The levels of dopamine that go through the brain when watching P o r n is probably similar to a lot of drugs, I'm thinking specifically of the rocket powering white stuff. It can't be good for the body or brain or DHT/Test levels no matter what anyone says. Anyway I read this book Models by Mark Manson that gave masturbation advice that literally changed my life, summary on this reddit forum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoFap/comments/1iy1pp/what_do_nofap_think_of_this_masturbation_advice/

I will probably get slated for this lol, I'm not knocking visual simulation completely, we've all been there, neither am I talking from a high horse as I have my lapses. Just think we should discuss it more on here.

sachalamp

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread is back on point. Yeah I agree they trigger different responses in the body and should be viewed differently. I've never had the issues that Buckthorn has mentioned but I can imagine it is annoying as hell.

Personally I think this issue is bigger than inflammation of the scalp and as men we really need to address it. I used to Masturbate a lot but I realised that watching naked ladies was not only giving me erectile problems but was also greatly changing my perception of women and my physical interaction with them. The levels of dopamine that go through the brain when watching P o r n is probably similar to a lot of drugs, I'm thinking specifically of the rocket powering white stuff. It can't be good for the body or brain or DHT/Test levels no matter what anyone says. Anyway I read this book Models by Mark Manson that gave masturbation advice that literally changed my life, summary on this reddit forum.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoFap/comments/1iy1pp/what_do_nofap_think_of_this_masturbation_advice/

I will probably get slated for this lol, I'm not knocking visual simulation completely, we've all been there, neither am I talking from a high horse as I have my lapses. Just think we should discuss it more on here.

I agree biggest culprit is visual stimulation taking over what should be normal, physical stimulation (coming from a woman).

Ultimately, masturbation itself is pointless and goes against nature, you have your organ to stick it in a woman, if you're not doing that you're basically failing at reproduction.

Watching p**rn in particular is very bad because you're literally seeing the woman you desire (because you look for a p**rn scene with a woman you are attracted to), getting fucked by another guy. This is the ultimate beta behavior, if this happens in real life it means you've failed. Actually, transposing what is happening in p**rn ( you wanking at other man f*****g a woman you're attracted to) to real life, it would be like following a chick you saw and liked to a room and watching her get fked by another guy. At which point you take out your dick and masturbate. This is so humiliating it transcends words.

I don't really understand what goes on with p**rn/masturbation and scalp inflammation/hair loss, but something is happening.

Artisan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree biggest culprit is visual stimulation taking over what should be normal, physical stimulation (coming from a woman).

Ultimately, masturbation itself is pointless and goes against nature, you have your organ to stick it in a woman, if you're not doing that you're basically failing at reproduction.

Watching p*rn in particular is very bad because you're literally seeing the woman you desire (because you look for a p*rn scene with a woman you are attracted to), getting fucked by another guy. This is the ultimate beta behavior, if this happens in real life it means you've failed. Actually, transposing what is happening in p*rn ( you wanking at other man f*****g a woman you're attracted to) to real life, it would be like following a chick you saw and liked to a room and watching her get fked by another guy. At which point you take out your dick and masturbate. This is so humiliating it transcends words.

I don't really understand what goes on with p*rn/masturbation and scalp inflammation/hair loss, but something is happening.

Could not agree more with your view on it being 'beta male behaviour'. Also can't believe nobody else has commented on this lol. What's other guys views on this?... particularly on p*rn. Be interesting to know what those 'alphas' on here think..think there's one or two lurking around.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually think I lost hair over the holiday period because of this (I take a long break at Christmas, and some years get very reclusive, a lot of wanking was had).

I was very sceptical about this, in fact beyond sceptical to simply knowing this has to be total bullshit, but I know what causes an itchy feeling, almost burning, in my scalp, and it's stressful situations, being overly horny, watching p**rn or the moments after masturbation. I know that feeling in prolonged periods of stressful situations (work, shitty relationships, general depression or anxiety) which cause that burning feeling, have left me shedding and thinning, and this itchiness is the exact same feeling I have after masturbating.

I don't believe at all that any amount of masturbation will have an impact on your hair in a biological sense, and because of that people are very quick to instantly dismiss it's effects psychologically. In the same sense that stress and depression can cause hair loss, so can obsessive and unhealthy lustful thoughts that rely on no social interaction, it's very simple, p**rn or excessively imagining a fantasy of being with someone is somewhat distressful emotionally in a way we don't quite face up to.

Inb4 "LOL dude you feel 'distressed' jacking it over tits and pussies, yeah right" well actually, although it's overall pleasurable, the reason I stopped watching as much p**rn (normally go by imagination or soft stuff, celebrities etc.) is because it actually starts to become this lengthy chore, of finding something exciting to you. Beautiful women in missionary doesn't always cut it, or even then as it usually does cut it, I still find myself stopping before climaxing, and clicking on a Recommended video, skipping through that for a few minutes and getting all hot over her, before doing it over and over again. Sometimes I've spent ages jerking/half jerking while searching, and come out of it with tabs and tabs of p**rn, the actual moment of orgasm is somewhat of a relief more than anything, it's half enjoying the orgasm but half thinking "thank f*** it's over". I've sometimes jerked for so long that I barely even enjoyed the orgasm, literally as I'm cumming I'm thinking about how I can finally get out of bed and do something.

Masturbating can go on for so long because it's like your fighting against your urge to c*m, so you can get the most out of it when you do, it's like "OK I'm nearly there, this looks great she's amazing... actually I'll hold out I might find something better". The infinite world of online p**rn has left us looking for something better even when you're looking at what is probably the most exciting image you could possibly dream of. It doesn't matter, you still want more.

I agree with the idea that 2-4 times a week being OK. It was normal for me at least once a day, but normally before I sleep and after I wake up, and even here and there if I feel like it (I live alone which doesn't help), and if I'm not away or anything on the weekends, I would guess in a week it could have been up to 15-20 times or so. And having sex doesn't even help much, at times this just makes me hornier afterwards. I would say this amount of time a week spent doing something so emotionally taxxing is relatable to prolonged periods of stress.

So the one thing that always stuck in my head was "when I've been happy having lots of sex my hair never felt better and didn't shed at all, re-growth happened on both minoxidil and propecia whilst orgasming a lot, how the f*** can doing it alone make a difference?!" well that's why I don't buy the science behind converted DHT etc.

But just because it doesn't effect us chemically does not mean it can't effect us psychologically. And no doubt at all that this can cause hair loss, for most young males they can regrow their hair when they come out of their period of stress etc. but for those of us with male pattern baldness, that follicle is fucked now.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is this possible? can it really make such a difference.
I confirm the correlation between mast/sex and increased scalp tension/irritation,but we should elucidate to the deniers,
that it affects only the areas of the scalp that are balding,while the sides and occipital region are unaffected.
That means that if you're not predisposed to male pattern baldness it won't affect you.(My older brother is an avid masturbator and he has denser hair that a female).
The actual difference between masturbation and bilateral sex,is that on mast you can edge and postpone for hours,
while sex lasts for how long?15-20 minutes?(unless you engage in tantric sex).
If you could actually edge for hours in bilateral sex,there would be no difference between it and mast.

sachalamp

Established Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with this It baffles me how some say there is no correlation between masturbation and hairloss, not sure about sex part, but other than that the correlation in my mind is obvious. How can it be a coincidence that I get inflammation exactly where I am balding when I masturbate? Even the science backs it up masturbation leads to a raise in T and DHT, how is that considered as not a correlation.

I think the stigma around asking this question is that people ask 'does masturbation make me go bald' instead of 'does masturbation make hairloss go faster'. Because the first question is so obvious that masturbation cannot make you go bald without you being sensitive to DHT everyone bandwagons on saying that masturbation and hairloss are unrelated and don't look at the second more relevant question.

Not only that but the primary treatment for hair loss is DHT related. You know what else are antiandrogens used for? Regulating hypersexuality, paraphilias and Persistent genital arousal disorder.

>>>>Conclusions: This study demonstrates that finasteride as an anti-androgenic effect decreased libido and hypersexual behavior without serious side effects in patients with vascular dementia and underlying BPH.

https://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/article/S1552-5260(08)02554-5/fulltext

>>>>>with a gynecologist injection leuprolide3.75 mg (antiandrogen) subcutaneous was added to her treatment and advised to be repeated at 1 month interval for 3 months. Few days after 1st leuprolide injection, she reported a decrease in sexual sensation. The patient continued to improve and her genital sexual sensation significantly subsided at the time of discharge. She has received the 2nd and 3rd dose of injection leuprolide on follow-up and continued other medications as such. The patient is maintaining well for over 1½ years now.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4623662/

There is an evident link between sexual arousal and androgens, makes you wonder why so many here are defending masturbation so much. We also know that p**rn, sexual fantasizing and masturbation are super-stimuli acting on the Coolidge effect (you get enough when you have sex with same partner, but if a new partner is presented you can go again and again to exhaustion)

Also, what a very common reported effect of people starting propecia/finasteride? Lower sex drive.

Last edited: