Is Minoxidil worth it?

uncertainty

Reaction score
I have considered using Minoxidil. The only reason I haven't started using it yet is because I read measurable changes disappear within months of using it.

Here's the million-dollar question: Does that mean all my money goes to waste if I stop using it? In other words, will I have the same amount of hair I would have if I never used it in the first place (assuming I stop using it for a while)?

Thank you.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, stopping minoxidil isn't an option if you are getting regrowth from it..you must keep using it to keep those hairs...otherwise the hair you gained with the minoxidil will shed after a few months and your hair will be at its 'natural' male pattern baldness stage

I would advise any guy who is NW2 or even NW3 to concentrate on maintenance and not bother with minoxidil, most normal people wont consider you as a bald person anyway.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
uncertainty said:
I have considered using Minoxidil. The only reason I haven't started using it yet is because I read measurable changes disappear within months of using it.

Here's the million-dollar question: Does that mean all my money goes to waste if I stop using it? In other words, will I have the same amount of hair I would have if I never used it in the first place (assuming I stop using it for a while)?

Of course!! That happens with ALL medicinal treatment of male pattern balding, not just minoxidil. The only treatments with (relatively) permanent effects are hair transplantation and castration.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sc871 said:
Nashville, what do you consider maintenance?
hairloss not getting worse with a treatment

uncertainty

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Of course!! That happens with ALL medicinal treatment of male pattern balding, not just minoxidil. The only treatments with (relatively) permanent effects are hair transplantation and castration.

I suppose my hesitation with Minoxidil (as opposed to Finasteride tablets) is that I can be confident popping a tablet (of Finasteride) every day will always be easy. Consistently applying Minoxidil to the scalp twice per day for years, on top of rinsing the hair with regular shampoo every day, strikes me as a cumbersome routine that would be incredibly easy to slip up on. Of course, I may very well regret this perspective and look at it differently in time if I don't use Minoxidil. Thoughts?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
uncertainty said:
I suppose my hesitation with Minoxidil (as opposed to Finasteride tablets) is that I can be confident popping a tablet (of Finasteride) every day will always be easy. Consistently applying Minoxidil to the scalp twice per day for years, on top of rinsing the hair with regular shampoo every day, strikes me as a cumbersome routine that would be incredibly easy to slip up on. Of course, I may very well regret this perspective and look at it differently in time if I don't use Minoxidil. Thoughts?

I agree that it takes determination and fortitude to do something as cumbersome as applying minoxidil topically to your scalp once or twice a day for years. What makes it even worse is that in my opinion, topical minoxidil doesn't interfere with the fundamental balding process itself, and your balding will continue to progress at about its normal rate, even while using that cumbersome topical minoxidil! Seems like a very bad combination, doesn't it (cumbersome to use, and doesn't stop balding)? :dunno: :)

Basically that's why I always warn people not to use topical minoxidil as a single treatment! Use something along with it (Propecia would be an obvious example) which _does_ interfere with the fundamental balding process.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
This is what I compare you original comment to
|
\/

uncertainty said:
I have considered using whitening toothpaste when I brush my teeth. The only reason I haven't started using it yet is because I read measurable changes disappear within months of using it.

Here's the million-dollar question: Does that mean all my money goes to waste if I stop using it? In other words, will my teeth become yellow as if I never used it in the first place (assuming I stop using it for a while)?

It's not a "waste" if it provided you with extra years of hair. I want to keep my teeth, therefore I brush them 2x a day. I also would like to keep my hair, therefore I use rogaine 2x a day. Totally not a waste! :)

johnbbbb

Reaction score
I took Propecia for 6 months and noticed maintenance but no regrowth. After I added minoxidil, my diffuse thinning on my crown filled in after 3-4 months.

The application isn't as bad as some make it out to be...takes me about 3-4 minutes to massage it in.

If you're a NW2 I'd just go w/ Propecia.

Maxxorr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would advise any guy who is NW2 or even NW3 to concentrate on maintenance and not bother with minoxidil, most normal people wont consider you as a bald person anyway.
So minoxidil is not good as long as you are NW3?
Are there alternatives?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude this was from 6 years ago

D.hair.n

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil is safe?
Side effects?
I ask it because Minoxidil is a long therm treatment..a person could use it for 10 years or more.

thornhill59

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd say if you're less than NW2.5 with decent density its probably worth avoiding and just go for maintenance. The shed can be pretty disastrous. I certainly wish I'd never started.

belfort

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 months of using minoxidil 5%

Attachments

• IMG-20171024-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20171024-WA0004.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,207