Is Minoxidil worth it?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
My theory is this:

- If you use minoxidil for long enough, the hairs it is "sustaining" will then become no different than your regular hairs.

So if you had a good regrowth on minoxidil, then castrated yourself, then maintained those hairs on minoxidil for another 2-3 years, and then stopped minoxidil, those hairs would stay as permanent hairs.

Point being, if you get good regrowth on minoxidil, hold it for a few years, and maintain a good antiandrogen, I think you will still keep them after that.

INT

Reaction score
My theory is this:

So if you had a good regrowth on minoxidil, then castrated yourself, then maintained those hairs on minoxidil for another 2-3 years, and then stopped minoxidil, those hairs would stay as permanent hairs.

False.

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
I'd say if you're less than NW2.5 with decent density its probably worth avoiding and just go for maintenance. The shed can be pretty disastrous. I certainly wish I'd never started.

The question is: How progressed were you when you started and how long did/have you used?

INT

Reaction score
Are there any long term studies that prove this one way or another?

Might be, but being on these forums for many years I have seen numerious cases over the years where people who got regrowth on minoxidil and later went on finasteride/dutasteride lost their minoxidil gains. Granted, castration is not the same as finasteride+dutasteride but dutasteride comes pretty close when it comes to DHT levels that are being inhibited.

thornhill59

My Regimen
Reaction score
The question is: How progressed were you when you started and how long did/have you used?

Over 10 months now. Might just be a strange responder though. This is first 5 months. https://imgur.com/a/kz1q1, a bit worse now. Genuinely thought I was going through a shed and could expect good regrowth but never recovered, still using twice a day diligently. Hair thats grown in that area cant be described as terminal. It looks terminal but is significantly thinner and grows strangely, with kinks in it and starts to curl after about 2 inches. Rest of my hair dead straight.

thornhill59

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're still progressing after 10 months, step your finasteride up to dutasteride or add RU58841.

The worst thing about the hairloss game in my opinion is that you have to often wait 10-12 months on any treatment to know for sure which direction you're heading. And if you're heading in the wrong direction, it means a lot of loss over that time frame that you will always then later wish you could have avoided. Very annoying to me.

Yeah I had actually more than stabilised after a year on finasteride, hair was definitely improved. Since adding minoxidil hair has gone downhill drastically, but only in the area I apply minoxidil to. Feels like I'm in a perpetual shed.