Is Loss Of Eyebrow Hair Part Of male pattern baldness?

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well new update, ive had no issues since december, for some reason everything just stopped. My shedding went to normal levels and the itching just stopped and everything was fine for 3 months, my crown even started to get more growth so now it just looked like i had lots of partings. Now all of a sudden the itching is back and ive noticed my shedding start to increase slowly.
Sorry about the late reply. Are you still experiencing the itching? If I am not mistaken, your last derm said you don't have male pattern baldness. If that is the case then you should start out with non-medicated shampoos like Nizoral, T/Gel, or T/Sal if you haven't tried any of them yet. Other things to keep in mind are the type of products that you put on your hair/scalp and the frequency of washings. I am sure that you realize this, but it is imperative that you eliminate what's causing that itch since it's causing you to shed. There are other things that I would also do if I were in your shoes but I would definitely start with those.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have your thyroid checked. And vitamin d levels
Thanks for the concern. I have male pattern baldness to begin with but I had telogen effluvium that came about after losing loved one's in a short period of time.

I agree that people should have their thyroid checked during their doctor's visit if they have sudden hair loss as well as experiencing common thyroid symptoms. A close friend of mine lost huge amounts of hair due to an overactive thyroid. He lost even more while on the medication but he recovered pretty well after a few years.

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry about the late reply. Are you still experiencing the itching? If I am not mistaken, your last derm said you don't have male pattern baldness. If that is the case then you should start out with non-medicated shampoos like Nizoral, T/Gel, or T/Sal if you haven't tried any of them yet. Other things to keep in mind are the type of products that you put on your hair/scalp and the frequency of washings. I am sure that you realize this, but it is imperative that you eliminate what's causing that itch since it's causing you to shed. There are other things that I would also do if I were in your shoes but I would definitely start with those.

Hey bro. So yeah ive been given some topical steroid to help with the itching which they have done so. Overall though ive noticed that my centre parting throughout has started to thin, but only the centre whereas my hairline is still a strong norwood 2. Do you think this basically matches telogen effluvium? because i genuinely see no other reason as to what it might be

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The part line widening doesn't sound like it would be telogen effluvium. I thinned out everywhere and in some places on my sides and back were so thin that they looked like bald spots when I went through telogen effluvium. Did the topical steroids help with the itch? Would you be comfortable uploading pics of your hair so I and others can give you our thoughts to whether it looks like male pattern baldness? You could always delete them after you get replies.

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
2019Hair1.jpg 2019Hair2.jpg 2019Hair4.jpg 2019Hair5.jpg 2019Hair6.jpg

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You've been to 4-5 doctors and it's got to be rough getting the responses that you are getting. I am not a fan of general practitioners when it comes to something specific as hair loss. I thinned out like in your pics #2 and #3 starting from my temples all the way around to the back when I had Telogen Effluvium. Pic #5 shows that you have frontal recession. You've had more than one doctor see you up close and determined that you don't have male pattern baldness. You've had blood tests that concluded no issues. Your thyroid was checked.

I'm going to avoid making any assumptions of the possibilities. I'm sure that you must be tired of seeing doctors only to get the same answers but your alopecia was sudden and it affected other areas too. I am only telling you what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would want to see a Trichologists if I can't find an experienced dermatologist that could give me a straight answer. I don't know what is covered with your insurance in the U.K. but I know people here in the U.S. that had to pay out of pocket. Also, If possible, ask if it is recommend to have a hormone imbalance test done.

We all handle stress differently. If the cause is indeed telogen effluvium due to stress, then you have to deal with those causes first and even then it will take a long time to regrow your hair back.

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah funny story i actually went to a trichologist back in november when i first started noticing everything. They straight up said they thought i was balding and immediately proceeded to cures (as they were a private company) insisting i take the minoxidil scheme which was 150£ for 3 months. So I didnt believe what they said because it felt like they were just trying to scare me into buying. In terms of GP's only 1 ever said they thought I was balding but the others including dermatologist say it isnt but offered no real idea as to what it might be. But i have definitely noticed that it is more extreme shedding in stressful situations like for now im deep in exams and the shedding is dramatic whereas 2 months ago it was completely fine.

If you had no clue about my backstory based on those pictures alone would u say it looked like balding. But finally mate id like to thank you for taking the time to respond because honestly uve been a godsend over these last few months.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're welcome. I hope everything works out for you. University can get stressful. I was lucky to have a gym nearby and when things got overwhelming I would take a break and go. I have equipment at home too and do the same thing when I get stressed. Hopefully you can find a healthy distraction when things feel unbearable. Good luck.

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
hair 20191.jpg

Just as an update ive had more blood tests done and yet again everything has come back fine.
Ive put a picture of my crown and i guess its kinda just stayed like this for a bit but now ive acc noticed quite a lot of pain on my scalp when i touch that area

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok now so this is a weird update but ive started to spot gray hairs on the top of my head. Do you think this is in some way linked or just some random coincidence?

Samfromwa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok now so this is a weird update but ive started to spot gray hairs on the top of my head. Do you think this is in some way linked or just some random coincidence?
Are you still online these days? It's not male pattern baldness. That's ridiculous. I get the itch on the scalp but my eyebrows and eyelashes have been doing this for 2 years. I've seen 6 derms and read everything you can read. I'm on hydroxycloroquine at the moment. I've had 2 biopsies also. I have a derm appointment with 12 dermatologists at the hospital next week. My eyebrows grow back but not the same and I've got patches. They itch all the time but I also get scale also. It's not artera or telegon. I know a guy with the same symptoms as you and they thought it's male pattern because he has lots of miniaturised hairs on his biopsy. But it's simply is not. It has no damn pattern, it's patchy loss and it's fast. I've studied every alopecia there is. This is something rare. It's inflammation no doubt. It causes some white hairs for me also. If it was male pattern then why havnt I lost my scalp hair. It's been years. The white hairs are caused by malnutrition to the hairs caused by the inflammation. My biopsy found no inflmattion but close up pictures reveal redness and it itches to insane levels after water contact. Reply back and I'll keep you updated