Is Loss Of Eyebrow Hair Part Of male pattern baldness?

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive had considerable thinning in my crown are and a lot of hair shedding and now i seem to be losing eyebrow hairs and my hair has thinned on the back and sides. I've visited 3 gp's. First one said stress, second one said male pattern baldness and the third one said he dosen't know if its alopecia or male pattern baldness. What do you think?

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have these episodes of extreme sheds-around 500-800 hairs every day,and during these episodes i also shed eyebrow hair.Its probably telogen+male pattern baldness(if your hair is not growing back).

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So basically...
General practitioner #1: Hair loss due to stress.
General practitioner #2: Male pattern baldness.
General practitioner #3: All he is thinking while you were there was that all he every wanted to be was a rock star. FML.

I had Telogen effiuvium with the same type of hair loss that you mention. My eye lashes even thinned out during that time. My dermatologist also mentioned that it could accelerate genetic hair loss if you were experiencing that to begin with or were destined for it.

If you can't see a dermatologist directly then go back to one of your GP's and get a referral.

Best wishes!

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
So basically...
General practitioner #3: All he is thinking while you were there was that all he every wanted to be was a rock star. FML.

I had Telogen effiuvium with the same type of hair loss that you mention. My eye lashes even thinned out during that time. My dermatologist also mentioned that it could accelerate genetic hair loss if you were experiencing that to begin with or were destined for it.

If you can't see a dermatologist directly then go back to one of your GP's and get a referral.

Best wishes!
Did you recover from the Telogen Effluvium?

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
So basically...

Best wishes!

Ive got an appointment for next month (NHS sucks) but my 2nd gp told me to go on minoxidil so hopefully that helps for the time being. And did you ever recover from it?

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Telogen kinda fits aswell because, even though a lot of people in denial say this, i was going through a lot of stress like enough for me to develop kinda bad OCD and my diet was so sh*t, like i was eating max 600 calories a day for over a month

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you recover from the Telogen Effluvium?
Ive got an appointment for next month (NHS sucks) but my 2nd gp told me to go on minoxidil so hopefully that helps for the time being. And did you ever recover from it?
I took drastic steps in June/July to manage my stress and anxiety and made lifestyle changes and grew back at least 80% of my hair that I lost beginning in February so far. I don't see the prominent NW5 outline that was forming in June. My eye brows and lashes grew back to normal already.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I took drastic steps in June/July to manage my stress and anxiety and made lifestyle changes and grew back at least 80% of my hair that I lost beginning in February so far. I don't see the prominent NW5 outline that was forming in June. My eye brows and lashes grew back to normal already.
That’s awesome man! Do you have any pics?

Also, how long were you shedding for with the Telogen Effluvium?

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score

Congrats man. In terms of my shedding it all started around 2-3 months since the diet and stress started and my thinning started quite quickly like in the space of 2 weeks and then i noticed a lot of shedding and only recently i see these veyr short hairs and released they must be eyebrows. If i slightly tug on my brows a few hairs do come out. Was this similar to what you exerienced? My stress has since basically gone away cause it was an event that only lasted for a month or so and im starting to get control over my OCD.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s awesome man! Do you have any pics?

Also, how long were you shedding for with the Telogen Effluvium?
Thanks, I appreciate it. I shed from February to July. Sometime in July is when I noticed way less hair in my shower cap and my pillows. My derm told me that I wouldn't have recovered if I wasn't already on finasteride. I can vouch to that by what I was seeing during all that time. Honestly, I thought about sharing some of my pics before but I am really uncomfortable about it right now. I might in the future though.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. I shed from February to July. Sometime in July is when I noticed way less hair in my shower cap and my pillows. My derm told me that I wouldn't have recovered if I wasn't already on finasteride. I can vouch to that by what I was seeing during all that time. Honestly, I thought about sharing some of my pics before but I am really uncomfortable about it right now. I might in the future though.
Interesting.. I’ve lost a crazy amount of hair in the past 6 months. Before then, I had no signs of hair loss and not much family history.

A few months before the shedding began I entered an extremely deep depression accompanied with heavy anxiety and actually started seeing a psych. I’ve always thought of Telogen Effluvium as a meme but maybe quick shedding like this is the most recoverable with finasteride.

How long we’re you on finasteride before you noticed regrowth? Were you also shedding while on finasteride? I’m 5.5 months in and hair is getting worse weekly :(

Also, if you decide to share pics it’d be really helpful for others dealing with potential Telogen Effluvium. You can block your face obviously.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Congrats man. In terms of my shedding it all started around 2-3 months since the diet and stress started and my thinning started quite quickly like in the space of 2 weeks and then i noticed a lot of shedding and only recently i see these veyr short hairs and released they must be eyebrows. If i slightly tug on my brows a few hairs do come out. Was this similar to what you exerienced? My stress has since basically gone away cause it was an event that only lasted for a month or so and im starting to get control over my OCD.
It almost seemed like my brows and lashes thinned overnight. One day I just noticed they were thinner and from that point on I realized they were getting thinner. I always had a strict diet and exercise has been part of my routine since high school. I didn't have the energy or the determination to stick with either when things went south earlier this year. I got back on track with both during the past few months and feel much better even though the stressors didn't really go away.

Last edited:

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
It almost seemed like my brows and lashes thinned overnight. One day I just noticed they were thinner and from that point on I realized they were getting thinner. I always had a stick diet and exercise has been part of my routine since high school. I didn't have the energy or the determination to stick with either when things went south earlier this year. I got back on track with both during the past few months and feel much better even though the stressors didn't really go away.

I was pretty convinced I had male pattern baldness from posting on this site before and people just saying it and the way it happened, but it all just seemed so coincidence that i went through that really sh*t phase and then the hair loss started. I was so depressed when I noticed it aswell that i went off of exercise, I actually went every day for over a month during my sh*t diet so it was really annoying that I no longer had any more motivation to go. Ive just noticed that my brows are going of and the hair on the sides of my head (around my ears) are very thin like you fully can just see my scalp there.
Did ur derm tell u to go on finasteride based of u having telogen effluvium?

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting.. I’ve lost a crazy amount of hair in the past 6 months. Before then, I had no signs of hair loss and not much family history.

A few months before the shedding began I entered an extremely deep depression accompanied with heavy anxiety and actually started seeing a psych. I’ve always thought of Telogen Effluvium as a meme but maybe quick shedding like this is the most recoverable with finasteride.

How long we’re you on finasteride before you noticed regrowth? Were you also shedding while on finasteride? I’m 5.5 months in and hair is getting worse weekly :(

Also, if you decide to share pics it’d be really helpful for others dealing with potential Telogen Effluvium. You can block your face obviously.
Telogen Effluvium is definitely a thing. Some people delay getting on treatments because they hope that it is what they have when in truth they have genetic hair loss. I shed a lot during my first year. Like a lot. But considering how much I was losing I also was simultaneously growing because normally that much hair loss would cause complete balding. Or at least that's how it felt. I grew way more hair than I shed during my second year which thickened my hair and temples a bit. I even had more density during years 4 and 5. I had back to back surgery in year 6 and was practically off of finasteride that year. I lost ground but in year 7 and 8 grew a lot of it back. Lost some of my temples though. Year 9, I low-dosed for over a year and lost ground but regained a lot back after taking finasteride at regular does daily again but I did lose some of the density in front. That was a horrible mistake.

Last edited:

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was pretty convinced I had male pattern baldness from posting on this site before and people just saying it and the way it happened, but it all just seemed so coincidence that i went through that really sh*t phase and then the hair loss started. I was so depressed when I noticed it aswell that i went off of exercise, I actually went every day for over a month during my sh*t diet so it was really annoying that I no longer had any more motivation to go. Ive just noticed that my brows are going of and the hair on the sides of my head (around my ears) are very thin like you fully can just see my scalp there.
Did ur derm tell u to go on finasteride based of u having telogen effluvium?
I've was already taking finasteride for the past 11 years.

Last edited:

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Telogen Effluvium is definitely a thing. Some people delay getting on treatments because they hope that it is what they have when in truth they have genetic hair loss. I shed a lot during my first year. Like a lot. But considering how much I was losing I also was simultaneously growing because normally that much hair loss would cause complete balding. Or at least that's how it felt. I grew way more hair than I shed during my second year which thickened my hair and temples a bit. I even had more density during years 4 and 5. I had back to back surgery in year 6 and was practically off of finasteride that year. I lost ground but in year 7 and 8 grew a lot of it back. Lost some of my temples though. Year 9, I low-dosed for about 4-5 months and lost ground but regained a lot back after taking finasteride at regular does daily again but I did lose some of the density in front. That was a horrible mistake.
Wow a long term success story, great to hear. I still have some hope that I can recover a bit. https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...pdate-22-y-o-pics.115417/page-10#post-1734158

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another question, did u have have a tingling feeling on ur scalp which was constantly itching?

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well as an update i hate my appointment with a dermatologist who said it wasnt male pattern baldness and i should go off of Minoxidil. They still have no idea what the hell it is, oh well

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It threw me off when you mentioned that one of your GP's told you to start with minoxidil. Your hair loss didn't seem to be consistent with male pattern baldness. Did your eyebrows grow back to normal yet and is your hair still thin on the back and sides? What tests did you take with your dermatologist?