Is it finally time for finasteride?

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
I could write a lot but don't have much time for now. So here is a quick rundown:
-I noticed my hair was thinning shortly after I graduated high school in mid 2012, was 18 years old at the time
-I began keeping my hair very short to hide the thinning
-September 2012 I began using Rogaine to maintain what I had an hopefully regrow some of what I had
-These pics were taken in June 2012 prior to starting. My 50 year old dad is with me and you can see his hairloss
hair 3.jpghair.jpghair2.jpg

-Fast forward 2 years later now. I continue to use rogaine once a day after showers and Nizoral shampoo every MWF. However, my hair has gradually thinned on top and I can barely start to see a horse-shoe developing. womp womp! lol
IMG_20141001_123348_426.jpgIMG_20141003_192430_024.jpgIMG_20141006_125844_845.jpg
-I currently just shave my hair down to scalp damn near, usually with a 3mm guard on my razor.
-Oddly enough, the back of my head hasn't thinned out since I started rogaine two years ago, and in fact, has filled in a bit since. However, the top of my head and temple areas have thinned out a decent amount.
-So I ask, am I a good candidate to start finasteride after so much time of using rogaine? Is there plenty of hair left that I could perhaps fill back in what I lost while on rogaine, and maybe gain some back to my high school days?
-Are the sexual side effects worth it? I have done HOURS of research on finasteride, and it seems the % of side effects is much higher than 2%
-Finally, where should I go to get a finasteride prescription? Could I go to my school's health center and possibly get treated? Or is a dermatologist preferred (next appointment I checked isnt' for 3 months grrr)
Thanks for reading, took me a while to decide to post on this site!

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to mention, my brother started balding REALLY BADLY his senior year in high school. Now he is 24 years old and pretty much bald to a horse shoe, worse than my dad. He isn't shiny bald, but barely has anything left on top, just scraps probably saved from shampoos.
EDIT2: That mosquito bite looking thing on my head is a scar from when I was born lol, please don't worry about it. It's not a tumor. Just scar tissue.
EDIT3: Just also want to add, my hair is thin pretty much all over my body. Hamstrings, calves, quads, arms, belly button hair, all thin. Even on the side of my head, the hair is very thin. The only thick hair I can get is "downstairs" and the facial hair that I can barely grow (I have a baby face).

One month update
Sides: None except for reduced sex drive (which is a good thing IMO, it used to be way too high and a problem). Junk still works with GF just fine lol.
photos:
IMG_20141217_111720_084.jpgIMG_20141217_111935_693.jpg

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Its difficult to see your hairloss from the pictures but if you are balding in the horse shoe pattern then it is male pattern baldness and finasteride is the best weapon we have.

When you say the % of side effects seems much higher than 2%, what do you base this on? Obviously the majority of guys using it without problems dont bother to post on a forum.

After using for many years I have no reason to doubt the statistics

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
It just seems every single person that posts on any of these forums always reports side effects, I'd roughly estimate 2/3 of people say something. But it's so hard to gauge, and I cannot find the number of finasteride users worldwide. If I could, I feel like I'd have a better idea of the chances of side effects.

- - - Updated - - -

It just seems every single person that posts on any of these forums always reports side effects, I'd roughly estimate 2/3 of people say something. But it's so hard to gauge, and I cannot find the number of finasteride users worldwide. If I could, I feel like I'd have a better idea of the chances of side effects.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
anyone who has male pattern baldness should use/try finasteride

miz, the FDA reports finasteride side effects. Only 2% get temporary sides. There are studies with 1000s of people. And there is no evidence whatsoever of permanent sides over placebo groups

Reaction score
with finasteride I had loss of interest in sex. about 40% less ejaculation material from the prostate. sperm count still the same.

Not only finasteride stopped my hair loss, but it stopped me from fapping every day.

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Helpmyhairplease, do you still get it up easily though? That's what concerns me mainly lol. And looks like you're in the 2% of side effects then.

And do you think a college health center doctor would be competent in helping me out with this issue and even acne possibly? :p

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Since your hair loss just started a couple of years ago, I would say you have a good chance to regrow some of what you lost. I have been on finasteride for a year and have on problems with ED, my only regret is not starting sooner.

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
I knew I would get you guys' approval from lurking around here lol. What did you doctors tell you about starting finasteride when you talked to them personally? Was it great approval? Dismissal of all the online negativity toward it?
Keep in mind that I've been using rogaine for 2 years now, let me know if that will have any effect of starting finasteride so late.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
My doctor didn't want to prescribe finasteride. Not because of sides, but because of the high price and the fact that you have to use it for as long as you want to keep your hair. I told him to let me worry about that. Most doctors don't know a damn thing about hair loss and what it can do to somebody mentally. If your doctor is bald himself forget about it. It's like he wants you to suffer just like he did.

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
My doctor didn't want to prescribe finasteride. Not because of sides, but because of the high price and the fact that you have to use it for as long as you want to keep your hair. I told him to let me worry about that. Most doctors don't know a damn thing about hair loss and what it can do to somebody mentally. If your doctor is bald himself forget about it. It's like he wants you to suffer just like he did.
Was he not aware that there is a 5mg pill that's like $10 at Walmart and can be cut up? lol.

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
My doctor didn't even know what propecia was when I asked him to prescribe it, he had a quick look on his computer then wrote me a prescription.

Funny thing is when I went to collect the propecia from the farmacy they told me, I would need to get the prescription for propecia renewed every 90 days or I could just buy proscar with no prescription needed and a fraction of the price.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Was he not aware that there is a 5mg pill that's like $10 at Walmart and can be cut up? lol.

It is not guaranteed that your Dr. will prescribe you proscar instead of propecia. I will try next time I go, but many have said that their dr's wont do it.

mungyana

Reaction score
Since your hair loss just started a couple of years ago, I would say you have a good chance to regrow some of what you lost. I have been on finasteride for a year and have on problems with ED, my only regret is not starting sooner.

Oh, really?

:gay2:

bram1988

Reaction score
I knew I would get you guys' approval from lurking around here lol. What did you doctors tell you about starting finasteride when you talked to them personally? Was it great approval? Dismissal of all the online negativity toward it?
Keep in mind that I've been using rogaine for 2 years now, let me know if that will have any effect of starting finasteride so late.

Mine was pretty cool about it. Mentioned the side effects for like 1 minute. Kinda noticed i knew more about it that he did. Talked about the keta shampoo which he didn't understand as a treatment of hair loss. Than he just described it, 5 mg version as well. He knew it was cheaper and the same ingredient. He did explicitly write down i knew i shouldnt take 5mg a day. Maybe for liability purposes.

This was the final confirmation i needed. Guys on this forum talked me into it, a hair transplant doctor told me to use it and finally my own doctor didn't put up any fight.

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm going in to the health center today to try to get some acne treatment and finasteride. Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

It is not guaranteed that your Dr. will prescribe you proscar instead of propecia. I will try next time I go, but many have said that their dr's wont do it.
You're exactly right, I went today and he said that he won't because the dosing isn't consistent or some BS, even though it's the same exact thing. But anyway, he gave me a blood test to test liver enzymes to see if I'm healthy enough to take it. If the tests come back looking good, I found a generic propecia online for $20 a month w/ prescription required, meaning it's not illegal non-prescription crap lol.

themiz1234

Established Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: So I went back today, and my liver enzyme tests came back great, all well within normal ranges/low. (I'm very surprised as I drink quite often, usually once or twice every weekend haha). I am going to be ordering a generic 1mg pill via an online pharmacy, and it's only $23 a month. Not bad, but obviously not as cheap as 5mg split up. I'll be updating this thread in the future, wish me luck guys!

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Ok, my finasteride finally arrived in the mail, TODAY IS THE DAY! :D

Don't over think taking finasteride. Take it and move on about your day. I take it before work so I don't have time to analyse everything going on with my body and blame finasteride. Good luck.