Is It Crazy To Get A Transplant Before Your Hair Has Stabalised?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You're so right.

I just want to fix this problem ASAP so hence the urgency of a transplant.

I feel I could be a solid 7.5 if I had a nw1 and was in my best physical shape.

Being bald I think I may be a 5.5 or a 6.
Has any women you dated ever said you would look better with more hair or even mentioned about your hair loss? I honestly think you should not stop dating over your current hair situation. If some woman leaves you because of your hair loss then you would be better off. Most people fall out of love over other things besides just hair. You are just at that point in your life where the clock is ticking for you to find someone to settle down with permanently. I have seen your photos and your looks have not changed much even with less hair. You also have the advantage that you are well endowed too which should make up for some hair loss. Your current financial situation/status might hinder you some. Overall, you are a great conversationalist and that is very important in long term relationships. I don't remember you every talking about rejection much at all so I don't see why you should just remain in limbo now.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has any women you dated ever said you would look better with more hair or even mentioned about your hair loss? I honestly think you should not stop dating over your current hair situation. If some woman leaves you because of your hair loss then you would be better off. Most people fall out of love over other things besides just hair. You are just at that point in your life where the clock is ticking for you to find someone to settle down with permanently. I have seen your photos and your looks have not changed much even with less hair. You also have the advantage that you are well endowed too which should make up for some hair loss. Your current financial situation/status might hinder you some. Overall, you are a great conversationalist and that is very important in long term relationships. I don't remember you every talking about rejection much at all so I don't see why you should just remain in limbo now.
I'm just starting to take all the meds I can, so I'm hoping for some big regrowth by 2019.

I appreciate your opinion but I think I'm sliding down the lookscale and I must take quick action before I get left behind.

As for your question: one woman around 4 years ago said, 'you will be bald before 30.'

She was very wrong and I get very defensive when she said it.

I couldn't believe she could be so rude. She was Spanish so I don't think they have much social grace - or perhaps she was just social awkward.

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just starting to take all the meds I can, so I'm hoping for some big regrowth by 2019.

I appreciate your opinion but I think I'm sliding down the lookscale and I must take quick action before I get left behind.

As for your question: one woman around 4 years ago said, 'you will be bald before 30.'

She was very wrong and I get very defensive when she said it.

I couldn't believe she could be so rude. She was Spanish so I don't think they have much social grace - or perhaps she was just social awkward.

Understandable reaction, any Norwooder would be hit hard by such comments.

This b**ch decided to tell me (On New Year's Eve no less) that I would be bald in three years. There no way to respond to that really, it's just brutal.

diseasedrat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're so right.

I just want to fix this problem ASAP so hence the urgency of a transplant.

I feel I could be a solid 7.5 if I had a nw1 and was in my best physical shape.

Being bald I think I may be a 5.5 or a 6.

you look good shaved down. you're very lucky. You tried to convince me for a long time to shave because it's liberating, so why are you trying so hard to get the fullhead back? either way, wait it out man. you look good.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
you look good shaved down. you're very lucky. You tried to convince me for a long time to shave because it's liberating, so why are you trying so hard to get the fullhead back? either way, wait it out man. you look good.
I'd just prefer to be a fullhead and taking meds is only 20 seconds per day, so its no effort at all.

If the meds didn't work for some reason I would shave it all off in a year.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Understandable reaction, any Norwooder would be hit hard by such comments.

This b**ch decided to tell me (On New Year's Eve no less) that I would be bald in three years. There no way to respond to that really, it's just brutal.

Unless they're a friend and are saying it jokingly, the proper response is to say something like "that's okay - I still have three years, but you're classless right now." Many people wouldn't say something like that to a girl because they fancy themselves as being too genteel, but I would if I felt it were said maliciously to me.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a different culture that's all. They are much more honest which can be good or bad (without meaning to cause offence). It might seem really offensive but that's because we're raised in the UK. They won't hesitate to give out complements, won't play games and will express their desire for a good looking guy (with hair goes without saying). Otherwise I'd be listing many negative comments in relation to baldness but none of them girls were bad that said it. Just a cultural clash for you and hypersensitivity to baldness.

Anyway...regarding the OP.

From the pictures you shared previously you're like a Norwood 4 and diffuse crown. You have fine hair calibre. Swoop was in a similar position and had just shy of 3k grafts for his frontal third. Ideally you need 3500 frontal half. You'll easily get a full head with that and glad you took our advice about meds. You have a slow pattern and a piss easy problem to solve, so if you're responding to meds, why not? Now you think like that too. @diseasedrat had an unfortunate time with meds so it's out of his hands, but looks handsome shaved due to his face - got to roll with the punches.

Wait a full year to ensure meds are working otherwise you're taking a big risk with surgery - pandora's box. Multiple transplants may needed to avoid looking like an artficial unnatural mess. Would you have the grafts, money and time for more transplants? Pertinent questions.

My plan was if meds don't work, to treat it more aggressively and I can get by with plugs since I have 10k grafts with extremely good thickness - one of the best my Doctor has seen. Still, even I want to keep my native hair, it's just much better in many ways.

Bear in mind, surgery can fail at times, but worth the risk if you tick all the other boxes. You had a full head in your youth and now you're in your 30s. We're blessed. I was Norwood 1 until 25. It shouldn't be affecting you so much that you put your dating life on hold. I was a thick Norwood 2.5 in my late 20s before surgery and pretty girls in their early 20s or younger were still interested let alone older ones.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm a norwood 3 btw:

17308736_10155252849618586_553969034863008017_n.jpg

My surgeon said 2000 grafts, but it will be better to re-asses in one years time because I might have a lot of regrowth.

If I just got back a lot more density and maybe a little around the temples then I may opt to not have surgery.

You cant see in the picture but around the temples aren't completely bald and there is some fine hairs - so theres hope that the hairline isn't 'dead'.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I'm a norwood 3 btw:

View attachment 85862

My surgeon said 2000 grafts, but it will be better to re-asses in one years time because I might have a lot of regrowth.

If I just got back a lot more density and maybe a little around the temples then I may opt to not have surgery.

You cant see in the picture but around the temples aren't completely bald and there is some fine hairs - so theres hope that the hairline isn't 'dead'.
This guys hair is a little worse than mine and he was saved with 2000 grafts:

hair-restoration-surgery-photo-left-174097.jpg

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
@JohnsonDDG

That guy is a diffuse Norwood 5 at least, can see outline of horseshoe pattern. That's how surgeons categorise and plan for the future. Norwood scale is not for diffuse thinners. Norwood 3 implies the rest of the hair is free from DHT. In your case, you have island formation and diffuse behind so at least a 4. Even in that low density picture you shared you can tell behind the forelock it doesn't grow anymore. You could do with temple points too.

Anyway, all this is important for future planning, not just a case of me being pedantic. Recommend a scope to determine your pattern, can never take risks in this business.The 2k transplant you posted. Cherry picked picture by the surgeon. I've worked in this field and seen a lot, had surgery myself too. That hair is guaranteed see through in sunlight hands down. Indoors probably too. Objectively, passable hair for a guy in his 30s nothing more. You may be "happy and saved" as you say though with 2k grafts, feelings are personal. But that's not good hair, objectively speaking.

I hope you get what you want and are happy. Best of luck mate.
But I shouldnt plan the transplant until I find out hour much regrowth I have, right?

I might plan a transplant but then regrow some of the hair through my use of Avodart and other medicines.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh yes. Wait one year minimum. Regrowth and maintenance vital. You may be happy with the result. Google Spexhair. Guy was a very diffuse Norwood 5 in his early 20s. Treated his hair, transplanted the front, decades later is still a pretty solid full head. Transplants are a good adjunct to medical therapy but repeated "boosts" may be necessary. Spex did his front a few times (got botched in those early days) and since then has had some further forelock work and needs some crown help too.
Thanks.

I'm going to re-asses by January and ask around (that will be 10 months on finasteride and minoxidil and 8 months on dutasteride) on here about what I should do next.

HOW IM THINKING:

If I only maintain I will get a transplant.

If I regrow a little bit I will wait another 6 months before deciding.

If I get all my density back and my temples then I will not have a transplant.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you take meds?
Yeah I take meds although i cant really tolerate Finasteride so its been an on/off battle. The transplanted hair does like RU though, although it doesn't do much for my native hair, doesn't maintain/regrow native as well as finasteride.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the fact you have gone full circle concerning hair! I've been thinking of adding dutasteride since forever for an added boost, but have refrained. Let me know if you get any benefit and somehow attribute it to Dutasteride. Although it will be difficult to know since you're taking 3 meds together within a close time period. Keto shampoo is good, I use that every so often. I feel it gives a small benefit. We all shampoo our hair so may as well be Keto based. Minoxidil works wonders at times for diffuse thinners (I'm not diffuse though) but be aware of skin sides. They do exist. It could make your eye area worse particularly if you have eye bags already which I believe you said you do.
I used minoxidil in the past and my skin was good.

I stopped using it because I thought it wasn't working too well - but when I stopped using I lost density - so I think it actually helped me maintain.

My decision is to give it one final blast at keeping my hair. Basically try everything - as long as I'm not in the 10% and am in the 90% then I should at the very least maintain - but I'm really hoping and expecting regrowth!

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
You'll be in the 90% since you have "normal male pattern baldness" and didn't leave it too late. This can be controlled with ease, especially early on, you're a bit more advanced but still it's fine.
That's music to my ears.

I will be posting updates when I start getting results.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's music to my ears.

I will be posting updates when I start getting results.
Here they are:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/my-moderate-success-on-dutasteride-finasteride.116572/

The picture shows the return of density but there is actually little improvement around the temples.

I'm still very much on the fence about getting a hair transplant. I've got the money for one and I've found a decent surgeon who is happy to do it, but its still a massive decision.

After seeing wolfpack write that even with 2000 grafts my temples will still be see through I feel put off a little because I don't want to get a second hair transplant.

I suppose one positive is that my hair is still slightly improvement - and I do mean slightly - theres a few tiny hairs growing at the front (we're talking like 7 or 8 hairs), but at least I am no longer losing ground.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes that is the issue with the current treatment . instead of a miracle , they barely work for temple area!
I know this because they don't even maintain mine ...