Is It Crazy To Get A Transplant Before Your Hair Has Stabalised?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am really thinking about a hairline and temple point transplant and maintaining the rest with duta/ minoxidil ( and doing a gyno surgery ) .

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you may have misunderstood Johnson. I've always advised you to get surgery in previous threads and I can see I suggested 3500 for the frontal half on this thread too! Now that you have that stabilisation and improvement on medication, I would say 2000 will be suffice for a conservative hairline with adequate density that holds okayish in most circumstances. But why settle for that when you may still want more post surgery if you compare yourself to those with little loss and also know that you can get it? If you're going to go for it get 3000 grafts and lower it to where it was before and fill out the frontal half. You're the perfect candidate almost, like I always say although you have some diffuse thinning. It's not like it will make you bald at the sides and back, you have probably at least 6-7k reserves.

When I was talking about the 2000 grafts being inadequate, that was a different case. Perhaps the hair loss was more, the calibre less, may be the surgeon had a bad day or was a poor choice, the patient's own physiology/lifestyle and response e.t.c. Either way, in that case the 2k grafts really was nothing. I remember my surgeon saying sometimes tons of grafts on a patient can end up being almost nothing due to the circumstances. We have 30k grafts on top normally which is the problem once it disappears so it's good you are on finally on meds - slow pattern anyway.

And as I always say, if you're truly happy with your hair situation, then do nothing, except maintain the status quo with Finasteride. If you're on the fence imo it usually means you want to do more deep down but there is some kind of obstacle (money, recovery, excess negativity). I do get the negativity though as we all see poor results and that could happen to any of us. However, if you do your research with the right surgeon and your body is typical, you will get a result and if you don't, you have the grafts for corrective work. With that much leeway, the ball is in your court truly. I think a good head of hair would make a noticeable improvement in your case in all areas. That said, at your age your hair is adequate. Don't expect growth at the temples, very unlikely and those who do, they get it fast and early usually.

You've seen my pictures and the feedback I have had on here or in real life is that it's great. Even multiple full heads have complemented me on my hair and girls. I had less loss than you and also one of the thickest hairs according to my surgeon which helps but you can also get a very nice result I am certain of that. Make a decision pal, we are all waiting, we've advised you enough :p

View attachment 101807
I've never actually seen an image of your hair but I take you on your word that its looking good. It must be a great feeling loving the way your hair looks in the mirror.

I appreciate your direct advice on getting a hair transplant. Theres still an element of doubt for me to get a hair transplant and theres a few reasons for that.

One is that I feel my hair is okay now for a 33 year old man so I feel a bit vain for doing so.

Two is because I want to do a training course that costs around ten thousand pounds - which is most of my savings - but this money has been set aside for the hair transplant. If I do the training course my wage will go up two to three thousands pounds per year, so it pays itself off after 3 to 4 years.

Three is because many hair transplant's fail or get undesired results, plus I may require a top up surgery in a few years. None of this is something I desire because I need to start saving for a house.

And then my mind goes back and says I will never look my best if unless I do get a hair transplant. Having said that; maybe I would only go from a 6 to a 6.5 with a hair transplant, so is it even worth investing in?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
i am not at all an expert in the transplant area ( more expert in medication etc ... ) , but 2000 graft is enough to fill johnson hairline ?
How much graft do you think i would need to fill my hairline and temple point ( given the fact that I am only 25 ... )
And I have always been afraid of the shockloss , and the fact that I apply minoxidil ( how to apply it post surgery ,etc ... )

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
but the thing is that once temple hair is gone it is gone forever , so I will have to do a transplant to restore this area ....
And I am tired of doing the justin bieber bowl haircut to hide my recession ( not age adequat haircut past 18 yo ... )

And I still can't get over the fact that finasteride didn"t even maintain this area in my case ( I started at 21 yo )

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
i am not at all an expert in the transplant area ( more expert in medication etc ... ) , but 2000 graft is enough to fill johnson hairline ?
How much graft do you think i would need to fill my hairline and temple point ( given the fact that I am only 25 ... )
And I have always been afraid of the shockloss , and the fact that I apply minoxidil ( how to apply it post surgery ,etc ... )
I think the same thing. I even thought 1500 grafts would be enough because I only want Norwood 2 not nw1.

Surgeons always recommend high numbers I think because its more money for them.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
wouldn't it look weird to do only 250 graft on each side ?
Maybe i could fill the whole front for 1000 graft ?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I sent you cherrypicked picture of my hair , ( and it was my good side with short hair and blurry lightining )
But i am quite in the same situation as johnson , maybe a less worse on my good side .
And taking raloxifene for 3 month was not really a smart move ....

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am really mentaly exhauted to apply minoxidil to my temple , and getting no result !
I just wan't my normal hairline back and forget about this sh*t ( while taking duta to maintain )

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also have a bad recession of the temple point ( which really give the receded look with longer hair )

WasAGinger

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you should go for it.
If your crown is not affected, I guess you can fill the hairline without particular risks.