IS HAIRLOSS THE WORST THING EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

IS HAIRLOSS THE WORST THING EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

• Total voters
G

This is no way a 'woe is my' story. I DO NOT want your sympathy. Anyway:

When I was 17 I started taking methamphetamine. I started getting addicted to it. I then got thrown out of my house. I suffered heart conditions due to overdosing on it too frequently. A heart problem at 18! You compare that to your hair loss worries. I was living on the streets, f*cked up health, complterly broke, maxed out credit cards that I never bothered to repay, a credit rating so bad I COULDNT EVEN GET A CONTRACT MOBILE PHONE, crackhead 'friends' that would sell me in to get their next fix then finally watching my drunk girlfriend-at-the-time f*** her coke dealer at a party, in front of many people, for a line of cocaine.

Am I upset? No. All those experiences made me SO much stronger. Having been through hell, I have emerged with the self-confidence and self-esteem to handle ANYTHING. That is why hair-loss, no matter how advanced, will never affect me to the extent it has affected a lot of you.

(rant over)

jikslee

Reaction score
yeah thats the same lines i was on; if you've been through a lot of pain and dealt with it then the next time you get hurt it ain't so bad, but for some guys their it is their first real pain and they have to deal with it.

The Gardener

Reaction score
In my previous postings, I am not at all saying that hairloss is a pleasant thing. It is terrible. I am not trying to convice people that hairloss 'isn't that big a deal'.

What I AM trying to say, and it is something that some others have touched on here, is that one has to learn how to deal with terrible things in one's life.

I am NOT saying hairloss might not be devastating to people. What I am trying to say is that you should not react to the devastation by taking it out on yourself, or ALLOWING it to run your life.

To all those on this forum who are paralyzed and defeated by the thought that you are losing your hair, I can only wish and tell you that inside you, you have an inner kernel of strength that you need to discover. You need to care less about the vanity of others, and concentrate more on being an exceptional human being. Why? Because you are. But you are allowing your hairloss to be an excuse for your fear of shining.

I suggest pondering two quotes attributed to Nelson Mandela:

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

- and -

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. . . . Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, to be gorgeous, talented, and fabulous. Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that others won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God within us. And as we let our light shine, we consciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

G

I agree with G.

Some of you guys blow it waaay out of proportion... Gunner, gilgamesh, and a many others. It sucks, i agree, but it shouldn't ruin your life.

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree... but its f*****g easy for it to rule. I used to let it rule my days a hell of alot more than i do now. Generally im a pretty happy guy though luckily.

All those who aren't, try to think positive and accept your hairloss for ONE WEEK... i'll bet you'll feel better. Dont look in the mirror every 9 seconds, dont think your ugly because of it, dont compare it to other hairlines, dont worry about how its sitting, or how much you f*****g hate it... just for one week, take a new stance on it... show off your norwood and get the f*** out of your house and see how you go... its all in the mind, thats all that can defeat your unhappiness...

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
random said:

When I was 17 I started taking methamphetamine. I started getting addicted to it. I then got thrown out of my house. I suffered heart conditions due to overdosing on it too frequently. A heart problem at 18! You compare that to your hair loss worries. I was living on the streets, f*cked up health, complterly broke, maxed out credit cards that I never bothered to repay, a credit rating so bad I COULDNT EVEN GET A CONTRACT MOBILE PHONE, crackhead 'friends' that would sell me in to get their next fix then finally watching my drunk girlfriend-at-the-time f*** her coke dealer at a party, in front of many people, for a line of cocaine.

Dude, they could make a movie out of your life! Reminds me of Requiem for a dream. Great flick.

Very emotional thread. Good posts! You guys are a good bunch.

G

hairschmair said:
random said:

Dude, they could make a movie out of your life! Reminds me of Requiem for a dream. Great flick.

Very emotional thread. Good posts! You guys are a good bunch.

I don't regret any of it, it made me so much stronger. I have accepted I am who I am, and I am pleased with who I am as a person. I think that's an important step for people - to be happy with themselves. Once that's sorted, all the rest follows.

Deaner

Reaction score
random, what you just told us in your post would traumatize me for years to come if it happened to me. You're a stronger person than I am, I'll definitely give you that. Hairloss, fine, but any of those other things? NOPE!

CCS

Reaction score
random said:
You people are pathetic.

Hair loss is just a cosmetic thing. Guess you lot must have had sheltered lives huh?

It determines your ability to get sex, which is one of our primal urges that affect happiness. That is more than cosmetic.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair loss is not the worst thing to have happened to me, but it has severely hampered my ability to deal with the worst things. By taking away my self-esteem it has turned all those things that were once a challenge into a chimera.

I don't feel I can succeed anymore.

CCS

Reaction score
the worst thing that happened to me was my assuming that all women see me as a monster, or a creep or something. So if I email a woman and she does not reply, or if I say hi and she looks like she did not hear, I always just moved on for fear she'd think I was a stalker or something if I tried to get clarification. This made me withdraw. Hairloss got the ball rolling, but it did not make it iimpossible for me to get decent looking women. I just thought i could not, but probably only could not get the best looking ones. Anyway, lately a lot of women have been smiling at me, and including me in many things, and laughing at my jokes, and it seems obvious they do not see me as a monster. Now I just need to figure out which ones I have a chance with, and if I'm attracted to them, go talk to them.

porajj

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont think its right to phrase the question as being the worst or not the worst thing to happen in your life. Has hairloss been a catalyst that has affected many aspects of life for the worst that would normally not be affected? Yes.

I still party.
I still go out a lot.
I still am focused in my linguistics and french classes.
I still try to act friendly.

Hairloss just makes doing the above a lot more difficult. I have a very existentalist personally which doesn't really help either.

Before this all happened, I would easily wake up in the morning and be motivated to do the above without an extra thing to worry about. Now, I have this extra obsession that just provides a lot more stress. I can work through it, but its not fun, and generally makes me a much bitter person. This hairloss catalyst just snowballs other issues. Stuff isnt as easy as it used to be, and I dont see any hope for stuff becoming any easier.

Its not a clear cut choice as Gardner says. Im doing everything in my power including taking medications to help fix this problem. I actively try to not think about it, but it really isnt possible. Other people tend to instill stuff that affects my outlook. I try not to care, but how can you not care? I really wish I was one of those people that just didn't give a f*** about anything, but im not. I analyze people and circumstances and possibilites to a very extreme point, and I do see clear patterns of how people react to stuff. Its hard to ignore. I dont believe in this rosy aspect that magically forgetting an issue and relapsing back into quotes of confidence will fix something. Life doesn't work like that. If you're a person who has lost some kind of limb, and you were not born with a super outgoing personality--you're screwed. If you try to change your personality, you are just acting as a fraud. I cant actively change who I am.

Hairloss has sort of forced me to not be myself, and I dont like that. Apparently, im supposed to not allow it to affect my outlook on life, keep on truckin, and all that good stuff--but its not that easy.

All my life I wanted to be an air force pilot and fly F22s. I was all set to do that-- amazing grades, total dedication, and even a private pilots license as a sophomore in highschool. Then my eyes went bad, and that dream was instantly shattered. Bad eyes? No fly for you. After that catastrophe, I decided to work on other possible avenues, and then the hair started going. Great..... another disability that will prevent me from having an equal fighting opportunity in other avenues of work.

So now im basically stuck. I still do what I have always done, but I am quickly losing hope for any kind of happiness. I dont look forward to being discriminated because of it, and the only avenue of work that I see where hair doesnt really matter is neuroscience. Yay, a linguistics major who wants to be a f*****g neurologist...... at least an extra year of college + med school + internships + a lot of other things.

and where will that get me? Just more stress, less hope, and then maybe then I will be able to forget hair and just move forward. Or maybe not.

Its not easy to be optimistic when the future aint so bright. The denial of a dream I have had since I was 2 years old has been the worst thing in my life. Hairloss just tends to act as a catalyst that makes achieving other dreams a lot more stressful--mainly the discrimination aspect.

It sucks to compete in a race where you have a flat tire while everyone else has 4 perfect wheels. Yea, maybe you can pull some magic and pass ahead of some of those other dudes, but its going to be a lot rougher, a lot more stressful, and the journey to the coveted finish line isnt going to be as enjoyable for you. You wonder how far you could go if you have 4 perfect wheels, and instantly become saddened knowing the fact that you could go so far if x y and z didnt end up happening. You have no way of fixing x, y, and z, and no way of ever knowing how great things could be.

Its very disheartening.

I could be flying jets right now, but something I have no control over which I cannot fix happened that will not allow that.

I could be doing something else right not, but this hairloss thing I have no controll over which I can only partially fix wont allow me to get my mind off of it.

More avenues of self worth and personal pride are being closed due to it. I keep fighting, but I keep losing hope.

G

random said:

Am I upset? No. All those experiences made me SO much stronger. Having been through hell, I have emerged with the self-confidence and self-esteem to handle ANYTHING. That is why hair-loss, no matter how advanced, will never affect me to the extent it has affected a lot of you.

(rant over)

That fuckin sucks man, I'm glad you are doing better though.

G

collegechemistrystudent said:
random said:
You people are pathetic.

Hair loss is just a cosmetic thing. Guess you lot must have had sheltered lives huh?

It determines your ability to get sex, which is one of our primal urges that affect happiness. That is more than cosmetic.

Thats only if it lets you bug you fool. You need to stop your bullshit, its starting to get annoying. Bald guys can get really good looking women too. You can too fool if you stop being so weird and work hard at school and make some money, take care of your physique, dress nicely. You swear like hair is the number one factor when it definately is not.

All you guys need to stop being so fuckin lame. I think most bald/balding guys aren't as nonsensical as most of the guys who stay on this board lothing over this sh*t. They move on and deal with it or get a hair transplant or whatever it is. Stop being b****s, you guys are men.

I guess I must be a 9 since I'm going out with a 10, but i'm sort of receding. Is that possible CCS? I thought I was a 7 but does dating a 10 make me a 9. STOP THE FUCKIN BULLSHIT. I think most ppl on this board are too nice to tell you. But i'm telling you it straight. Your problems run much deeper than hairloss thats for damn sure.

G

Gunner. said:
I agree with G.

Some of you guys blow it waaay out of proportion... Gunner, gilgamesh, and a many others. It sucks, i agree, but it shouldn't ruin your life.

Holy sh*t this is an old thread. That was me being Gunner. (with the dot), right before I got banned at during that Gunner Tynan feud.

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hairloss sucks but things could be much worse.

Has anyone here been ***-raped by a circus clown... one with big red shoes?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Dont know about it being the worst thing, but if I could make one change to myself (in life) it would probably be to have DHT resistant follicles. M.P.B was the most devastating thing to impact on my youth and if I'd never had to suffer it I'd probably have been a more confident and outgoing person and would almost definatley be in a much different position/situation than I am today. I often wonder why I had to be handed this setback when the vast majority of others did'nt.

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
H/B said:
Hairloss sucks but things could be much worse.

Has anyone here been ***-raped by a circus clown... one with big red shoes?

ahahahahahahahhahhah