IS HAIRLOSS THE WORST THING EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

IS HAIRLOSS THE WORST THING EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?

• Total voters

Melbs

Established Member
Reaction score
How about rather than turning another thread into an argument between two people, we just talk about the topic at hand... f*** forums are fucked sometimes. Arguing on the internet is pretty lame. Last time i looked, this wasnt a thread on weather or not Gilgamesh is fucked in the head or not.

So how bout another answer relevant to the thread?

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
skerzz said:
apparently you dont get it.... I am 19 and loosing my hair. THis is probably the worst thing that has happened to me. Try being a 2nd year college kid who is balding.

I was a NW2 at LEAST by the time I was 19. Stop your crying and utlize your regimen. At least you have this forum that you can refer to for help. I didn't have sh*t. Noone told me that you had to stay on Propecia forever. Noone told me that if I stopped using minoxidil I would look worse than before just 3 months later. None of this information was out there. I suffered alone. I still got ***. I still had fun. Go cry in your soup if you want. If you let a little thing like hair loss beat the sh*t out of you then life is really going to f*** you up.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
I think ultimately a lot of the guys on here understand anyone's feeling that hair loss is an awful thing. When you push to succeed in everything you do and are used to exerting control over your life, it's incredibly hard to accept something about yourself is deterioriating and you can't take direct action to completely stop it.

There is a feeling of help in taking Propecia and Rogaine. I felt that flood of relief when I popped my first Propecia pill, a feeling that I was finally taking control over the situation. However, the air of not knowing how bad it may become, whether it will work, or what you may end up looking like is a hard reality to grasp. The sky may eventually fall and you can see the clouds coming down one by one.

Ultimately, this is not the end of your life and taking a positive spin is the manliest attitude you can take. Your hair is falling out. Who cares? Why not become the guy who can speak French and Japanese instead of the guy who is balding. Rather than 'I'm Chris and I'm balding", shoot for "I'm Chris and I can kill a man in 70 different ways".

G

skerzz said:
apparently you dont get it.... I am 19 and loosing my hair. THis is probably the worst thing that has happened to me. Try being a 2nd year college kid who is balding.

I was Norwood 2.5 / 3 by 19

I reckon I started balding at 16.

G

social_drinker said:
skerzz said:

I was a NW2 at LEAST by the time I was 19. Stop your crying and utlize your regimen. At least you have this forum that you can refer to for help. I didn't have sh*t. Noone told me that you had to stay on Propecia forever. Noone told me that if I stopped using minoxidil I would look worse than before just 3 months later. None of this information was out there. I suffered alone. I still got ***. I still had fun. Go cry in your soup if you want. If you let a little thing like hair loss beat the sh*t out of you then life is really going to f*** you up.

social, that aint really helpful lol

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nah, ive had worse and I bet there will be worse things in the future, just another rock in the way to the top of the hill.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
random said:
social_drinker said:
skerzz said:

social, that aint really helpful lol

Yeah, I know. Maybe I was a little harsh on him. However, when he says, "Try being a 2nd year college kid who is balding." Yeah? Been there, done that buddy.

How about this: Try being an 8 year old little girl in a children's cancer ward with NO hair and a grim chance of life past 10. Until you have walked a mile or so in her shoes, don't expect me to blow a rainbow of pity up your ***.

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
Is he looking for pity? I thought this was a place to share your experiences.

This question made me think long and hard. To keep my answer simple I voted no, but its in my top 3. My worst thing thats ever happend to me was when I was 4 my sister broke my nose and it has been crooked all my life. Another cosmetic thing, but thats what is importent to me.

You cannot force your views on life to other people. We have to learn ourselves whats importent to us.

sjb36

Reaction score
"I'm Chris and I can kill a man in 70 different ways".

Really that must come in really handy when you do your weekly shop or go to the doctors or change a tyre or...........................

That has got to be the most whack statement on sources of self esteem I have ever heard. That is legendary.

Imagine a gameshow " Hi I'm Chris Im a store manager from New York and I can kill a man in 70 different ways" clap clap clap clap clap.
Go Chris.

G

sjb36 said:

Really that must come in really handy when you do your weekly shop or go to the doctors or change a tyre or...........................

That has got to be the most whack statement on sources of self esteem I have ever heard. That is legendary.

Imagine a gameshow " Hi I'm Chris Im a store manager from New York and I can kill a man in 70 different ways" clap clap clap clap clap.
Go Chris.

Imagine a gameshow " Hi I'm Chris Im a store manager from New York and I am balding" clap clap clap clap clap.
Go Chris

"I will take Male Pattern Baldness for 2000 please, Alex."

"The most well known of several systems for classifying degrees of baldness, developed by Dr. O'Tar Norwood."

"What is the Norwood Scale?, Alex"

"Correct, for 2000."

clap clap clap clap...

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hairloss has affected me in so many ways (relationships, self-steem...even the way I speak in public) that I have to say "yes". When I was 20 I thought I was a fraud, that I was going to become a NW7 by the age of 23 and nobody should love me becouse of that. I feel like I didn´t deserve to live. That´s why I think it´s the worst thing ever happened to me. It put a somber tone on what were supossed to be my happiest years of my life. Even thought I occasionally forgot about hair loss and was happy, but always had this dark cloud floating over my head.

Now I´m quite more optimistic, as my hair is still like it was when I was 20. And also, I think that I´m starting to make a response to the treatments (I´m on month 5), I noticed my hair looking better past week. "A good hair day" I thought first day, but good hair days are coming one after another. It hasn´t been something like "from thin to thick", but I´m finding my hair more solid, with more fullness... so right now I´m carefully optimistic, but I cannot quit myself from feeling that I´m finally overcoming this stuff. :)

Also, I agree with Gardener. If you are screwed and paralized for something like this, there´s something wrong w you.
I personally think these small things f*** us deep becouse we are living easy lives, with not much worries and not much to fight for.
But, as human beings we are, we´ve found something insignificant to make our lives unhappy.

G

No. The worst thing that happend to me was when I sh*t my pants whilst at school.

matt_1_

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Sorry about this posting, I am usually a positive contributor here and don't denigrate anyone, but this thread is assinine. Stupid.

Hairloss is NOT the worst thing that has or will happen to ANY of us.

If you are THAT affected by hairloss, then you have deeper esteem issues than just what has changed on the surface of your skin.

Yes, hairloss is a b**ch. It can be depressing, and seem unfair. Yes, hairloss really sucks, and has an impact on our visual attractiveness to others. BUT, to claim it to be the worst thing that has happened in one's life is insane.

Living your life in a cave, or under a hat, or shying away from life because of hairloss is a symptom of mental illness far more serious than the hairloss itself. You are attributing FAR too much importance to your hairline than is normal for a functioning and adjusted human being.

This world has no love for people who are engrossed in self pity. If you want to take the self pity route, then see ya... you'll slide right down the tubes and find a miserable life well enveloped in comfortable isolation and misery.

Get your heads out of your asses. Yes, you are losing your hair. But, you have still got to live and live strong. Hiding in a cave is just a waste of your life. Get your life back. Wake the f*** up. f*****g shed this self pity bullshit and do something amazing with your life. Hairloss should not stop you from this? I just don't get it?

Great post, but it's all relative...
Even a great job, nice GF and everything doesn't change the fact that I think about it...it's the worse thing in MY life...
Am I to be taken in pity? course not, I'd take NW100 over AIDS everyday...

matt_1_

Reaction score
Maybe not, but i'd bet drinking a mix of duts, finasteride and rogaine while doing some scalp exercises would make survive a day or two. That's enough to go in vegas and have myself a nice go away party...

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sjb36 said:

Go Chris.

LOL youre dumb if you think Darkly Literally meant go learn how to kill a man in 70 different ways. For f*** sake sjb i hope youre smarter than that. :D

thought darkly made a good point actually.

TourdeForce24

Established Member
Reaction score
No, the worst thing that ever happened to me was going through a period in my life in which I lost all of my closest friends due to my best friend poisoning people against me. Ultimately, everyone sided with his delusional lies and I was left to defend myself alone. To this day I don't know what his motives were, but I suspect it had much to do with his self esteem issues. He was meeting alot of new shady characters and thought I was too straight-edge and that I would ruin it for him if he stayed friendly with me. It was a bunch of nonsense if you ask me.

Around the same time I also lost the only girl I've ever truly loved. She was a Catherine Zeta Jones look-alike and had an electric smile- killer body, killer lips. Most importantly, whenever I was with her I felt so relaxed and at ease. We were together for about 2 and half years. Don't ask how that managed to get fucked up, it's too long a story, but our parents got too involved. That's all you need to know.

To top that off I was working a shitty construction job in which I was literally killing myself every day.

Then, ALSO in this same time my father suffered a triple bypass and instantly changed from a guy who enjoyed life to a bitter, depressed, lost soul. Consequently, things around the house were very depressing for quite some time. He's since recovered physically and emotionally.

Not done yet. In the same time period I had spent a whole summer trying to improve my rowing skills. I ultimately became one of the top rowers on the erg at my school (one of the top rowing schools in the nation)- accomplishing this after joining the team as a walk on the year before. Having done this and destroying the pussies who took the summer off, I was STILL rejected and left off the boat for practice. I suspect me being 5'9" and the rest of the team 6'0" and over had something to do with this. My boat handling skills also weren't up to par, but after the improvement I showed, I think I deserved a shot over the guys who took the whole summer off. Needless to say, I was utterly dejected.

Not surprisingly this was around the same time ( when I was about 21) that I started to lose my hair. All this sh*t happened within a span of a year. I was alone, pissed off, balding, and miserable. Losing my hair really made me feel like sh*t on top of it. I became severely depressed, and my blood pressure was off the charts. Maybe this is why I was so hard on Gunner. It hurts me to see someone going through what I did.

I've since straightened out my social life and even have seen my hair improve upon lowering the stress levels. I've made a few friends since then. I date other girls, but boy do I miss my ex girlfriend. I would love to get back with her, but she's pretty serious with some guy. Lucky bastard, she's quite a catch. That's beside the point. The point is that hair loss is but one thing in a list of unfortunate events that could happen to anyone at any given time. By itself it can be managed, but when you lay it on top of everything else that could go wrong, boy it just really sucks. You'd like to think that you could at least keep your youth, but often this world takes it away prematurely. I'll never be the same carefree guy that I was before all of this happened to me. My youth was clearly stolen from me. In many ways I've become more successful and more driven, but never happier- only more cynical. I've accepted that this my fate in life.

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
tourdeforce has a good argument

hairloss alone can be dealt with but when it lands ontop of everything else it really kills you

personally i started losing my hair from 15 and ive worn a hat on my head almost every day since... im 19 now

at 15 my life was just openning up to me and i was beginning to finally get my sh*t together socially, i was getting the girls i wanted etc etc - things were going right.

when hairloss hit my life went down the drain my self esteem and self respect were rock bottom. yes i am fully aware that it was 100% my responsibility for letting hairloss effect me but thats just the way it is.

when i was about 16-18 my problems mainly revolved around not being able to succeed with women - it drove me totally insane leading me to being an alchoholic and then i graduated to being a drug addict (which obviously didnt help either)

im 19 now and only in recent months have been getting to grips with my life and respecting myself and being comfortable in my own skin

its mainly the little things that fucked with me... like people taking my hat off to provoke a reaction (and me smacking them in the head), not being allowed into a club with a hat on - im permanently on my guard incase someone tries to flip my hat off now, when im at college if im wearing my hat i will have to wear a hoody aswell incase someone makes an attempt

its FUCKED UP. hairloss was definetely the worst long term thing that ever happend to me because the sideeffects from it were horrendous. no im not lookin for pity and i dont expect any but im just saying thats the way it is for me.

jikslee

Reaction score
No. I expected more no votes for this..hairloss is one thing, but as part of a problem with self-image or whatever it can become a monster so i can understand why some people percieve it as the worst when it's only a component of the whole issue..

The worst thing that ever happened to me was fully hating myself for no particular reason between the ages of 11 and 17, and regularly cutting myself for the latter half of that time.

My point is that the issue is deeper than just hairloss, and maybe because i've had that experience and now feel better about myself in general that i can take male pattern baldness with a decent(ish) humour, and for others its the first real downer they've had, and it hits a guy hard causing a first real experience of depression; these forums are mostly populated by younger guys too, as we're the ones who feel "wronged" by the early onset of male pattern baldness.
When i think about it makes sense that we've got more yes votes in that case, but i wish it was not the case.