Is A Hair System For Me? Pics Attached

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Lost Boy take my advice in this case and try one thing before you escalate up to hair systems.

Try Dermatch or try Mane. Don't even go for the fibres yet, because I really don't think you need them just yet - you might in a couple of years, but not yet.

Dermatch applied to your scalp AND to your hair will make your hair look thicker right away.

Mane is like a black spray, which you can apply to wherever you have bald patches or thinning hair. It is sprayed into the hair but aimed at the scalp. In some ways I preferred using this because I didn't need to rub it in like with Dermatch, i.e. the rubbing can cause increased hair loss.

In my view both will give you visibly better results instantly. Mane is actually longer lasting and will stay on you longer than Dermatch. You can also use hairspray on top to make both of these last even longer.

Fibres are a mess and a pain, but still a natural step to take after Dermatch/Mane, and before hair systems.
Yeah I think i’m going to try Dermatch, although i heard it kinda looks like makeup on your head. I’m not sure if that was said by people with more severe hair loss but still something to consider nonetheless. It seems you had a good experience with it which is good. I also heard it’s a pain to apply. I mean i won’t be using a lot anyway but i’m afraid it might look unnatural or clumpy. Im just using it on the top & on my side part. I really do hope this works because if so, it’ll flip my world upside down. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought you’ve tried concealers already. If you haven’t, I think it’s be extremely naive to just jump straight into a system. Believe me, I was in your position and everyone here told me to try concealers. It works very well and I don’t have to worry about the costs/constant upkeep of a system.

I recommend toppik with some heavy duty hairspray. I use Aussie extreme hold. My hair is longer than yours so hairspray keeps it all in place while also keeping the fibers in ALL DAY.

If you haven’t tried finasteride, I’d recommend that too. I’ve been on for a year and I’ve had no side effects. At the same time, I haven’t had much benefit either, but most people do.
You guys have sold me on concealers haha thank you for your advice you may have saved me from a mistake. Although i think i’ll try Dermatch first as it is the most secure concealer. I’ve been on finateride for about 7 months now with no regrowth but hair loss has definitely slowed down a lot. Who knows maybe there could be some regrowth in the future. Fingers crossed! :)

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lost Boy try Mane as well. One of the 2 will work for u, for a couple of years at least I reckon.

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys have sold me on concealers haha thank you for your advice you may have saved me from a mistake. Although i think i’ll try Dermatch first as it is the most secure concealer. I’ve been on finateride for about 7 months now with no regrowth but hair loss has definitely slowed down a lot. Who knows maybe there could be some regrowth in the future. Fingers crossed! :)

Exactly...

You could use Avodart as it is more effective
NGF-574H is about to be released
Then you have Sisheido and Histogen..one of them may work properly..
No need to panic yet...

In the meantime Toppik if you feel like it...

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lost Boy try Mane as well. One of the 2 will work for u, for a couple of years at least I reckon.
I think i’ll try Dermatch first & see if i like that. Mane got some pretty mixed reviews on Amazon & i’m pretty sure it’s not waterproof!

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly...

You could use Avodart as it is more effective
NGF-574H is about to be released
Then you have Sisheido and Histogen..one of them may work properly..
No need to panic yet...

In the meantime Toppik if you feel like it...
If Dermatch works well i’m actually fine if there is no regrowth. I mean my hair loss has significantly slowed down & I’m okay with that. But if worse comes to worse i’ll give other solutions a try.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Lost Boy

It would be interesting if you could share your progress with us in this thread :)
Finasteride really doesn’t give me any visible results it just slows/stops the hair loss. If you’re talking about my Dermatch progress then i’d be happy to show you guys! After all you guys were the ones who suggested it to me it’s the least i could do :)

Noah

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the majority view. Certainly concealer will work fine for you, but because of your hairloss pattern - thinning all over the middle, but with a relatively intact hairline - a system in behind your natural hairline would also work very well, and would be a cosmetically better and far less troublesome result. Concealer looks very good, at least when you have that much hair, but it is very messy to apply every morning, and it comes off on your pillows, your sofa, your date etc. Having used both, I prefer a system, and with the quality, cost and realism of modern systems I don't agree that they should always be the last resort.

Noah

Noah

Reaction score
@Noah

How difficult is it to get a system that you put behind your natural hairline, and that blends in with your natural hairline?

Apart from that, I agree that systems shouldn't be thought of as the last resort, and I think they're generally an underrated solution to hair-loss.

Hi Doctor,

It's not difficult at all. I think the more difficult issue is whether it's worth it. For Flippy I think it definitely is, because he has a nearly-intact hairline with a lot of hairloss behind it, so he would be able to have a hair system with a normal 30-year-old's density hair system, and it would blend perfectly with his hairline. If you have a thinner density hairline then, if you keep it, you are tying yourself to a lower density hair system, which means you are missing out on one of the chief benefits of a system, which is that you can have a full head of hair.

Do you have a pretty full hairline left?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride really doesn’t give me any visible results it just slows/stops the hair loss. If you’re talking about my Dermatch progress then i’d be happy to show you guys! After all you guys were the ones who suggested it to me it’s the least i could do :)
You’re 20? Has anyone ever noticed your hair loss?

Noah

Reaction score
I agree that concealers will work well. But a crown topper - i.e. a hairpiece which is wholly surrounded by natural hair and has no exposed edges, is also guaranteed to work well, is very low maintenance, virtually 100% undetectable by sight and highly undetectable by touch as well. So you have 2 good options - one convenient but messy, and one involving a bit more preparation but mess free.

I am talking here about a situation where you have loss mostly on the crown and top, but decent frontal hair; as distinct from Flippy's situation where his frontal hair has also suffered thinning, and only a fairly narrow hairline strip is intact. The considerations in that case are somewhat different.

Noah

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree that concealers will work well. But a crown topper - i.e. a hairpiece which is wholly surrounded by natural hair and has no exposed edges, is also guaranteed to work well, is very low maintenance, virtually 100% undetectable by sight and highly undetectable by touch as well. So you have 2 good options - one convenient but messy, and one involving a bit more preparation but mess free.

I am talking here about a situation where you have loss mostly on the crown and top, but decent frontal hair; as distinct from Flippy's situation where his frontal hair has also suffered thinning, and only a fairly narrow hairline strip is intact. The considerations in that case are somewhat different.

Noah
Hey Noah it’s nice to hear from you. I got your email & hope you enjoyed your travel. I talked to Eric @ NorthwestLace & he agreed upon me not doing a hairpiece just yet. When i dry my hair after the shower, it looks like a normal head of hair. i just have some thinning when it’s spiked up. I think hair fibers/concealers will do the job for me for the time being. When the time comes, i’ll for sure go the hair system route :)

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the majority view. Certainly concealer will work fine for you, but because of your hairloss pattern - thinning all over the middle, but with a relatively intact hairline - a system in behind your natural hairline would also work very well, and would be a cosmetically better and far less troublesome result. Concealer looks very good, at least when you have that much hair, but it is very messy to apply every morning, and it comes off on your pillows, your sofa, your date etc. Having used both, I prefer a system, and with the quality, cost and realism of modern systems I don't agree that they should always be the last resort.

Noah
I think the biggest reason i’m deterring away from hair systems at the moment is the maintenance. I believe i told you i didn’t want to learn the maintenance right now & didn’t want to be dependent on my salon. I have a lot of hair & think concealers can work for the time being. I’ll try it out & see how i feel about it.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But guys I’ve been stuck in between buying Dermatch or Toppik. I think both can work well for me. The biggest reason i didn’t want Toppik is because it isn’t waterproof. But i looked on Youtube & there’s this guy who made it more water resistant. Not to say some won’t drip in the middle of a hurricane, but good for your normal day to day activities. The secret is just putting oil in your hair before (castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, etc) & then put the fibers in & there ya go! Some of the negative Dermatch reviews on Amazon say it isn’t waterproof :( So i’m stuck. Any advice would be appreciated!! ☺️

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
But guys I’ve been stuck in between buying Dermatch or Toppik. I think both can work well for me. The biggest reason i didn’t want Toppik is because it isn’t waterproof. But i looked on Youtube & there’s this guy who made it more water resistant. Not to say some won’t drip in the middle of a hurricane, but good for your normal day to day activities. The secret is just putting oil in your hair before (castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, etc) & then put the fibers in & there ya go! Some of the negative Dermatch reviews on Amazon say it isn’t waterproof :( So i’m stuck. Any advice would be appreciated!! ☺️
They’re both relatively cheap... Why not order one of each?

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They’re both relatively cheap... Why not order one of each?
Because I’m only planning on using one for my hair loss. Getting both means I would have one I would not use & I feel like that’d be a waste. Idk I just need to do my research on what’s best for my specific case. I may start a thread in the “hair concealer” forum.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Because I’m only planning on using one for my hair loss. Getting both means I would have one I would not use & I feel like that’d be a waste. Idk I just need to do my research on what’s best for my specific case. I may start a thread in the “hair concealer” forum.
Dude, unless you’re dead broke (which I understand) it wouldn’t be a waste getting both. I’ve heard mixed reviews on both products and I started on toppik. Toppik has worked for me so I never thought about switching. From what I’ve read, dermatch isn’t as good as toppik. But as you can see here, some people disagree. If you’re not sure what works for you, I highly recommend just getting both.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have to agree with CB here. Get both. You can actually use both together anyway: Dermatch as the base layer and then Toppik to bulk out the hair some more.

Oh and whoever told you that Toppik/fibres can be made waterproof - that's just not right. They might just about be rain proof in a light shower, but certainly not in heavy rain or in a swimming pool etc.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, unless you’re dead broke (which I understand) it wouldn’t be a waste getting both. I’ve heard mixed reviews on both products and I started on toppik. Toppik has worked for me so I never thought about switching. From what I’ve read, dermatch isn’t as good as toppik. But as you can see here, some people disagree. If you’re not sure what works for you, I highly recommend just getting both.
I actually did some research on toppik & it has a deal breaker for me & that’s if someone touches it it rubs off on their hands. Toppik is a no go for me.