Is A Hair System For Me? Pics Attached

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought you’ve tried concealers already. If you haven’t, I think it’s be extremely naive to just jump straight into a system. Believe me, I was in your position and everyone here told me to try concealers. It works very well and I don’t have to worry about the costs/constant upkeep of a system.

I recommend toppik with some heavy duty hairspray. I use Aussie extreme hold. My hair is longer than yours so hairspray keeps it all in place while also keeping the fibers in ALL DAY.

If you haven’t tried finasteride, I’d recommend that too. I’ve been on for a year and I’ve had no side effects. At the same time, I haven’t had much benefit either, but most people do.

deg_dilemma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Lost Boy take my advice in this case and try one thing before you escalate up to hair systems.

Try Dermatch or try Mane. Don't even go for the fibres yet, because I really don't think you need them just yet - you might in a couple of years, but not yet.

Dermatch applied to your scalp AND to your hair will make your hair look thicker right away.

Mane is like a black spray, which you can apply to wherever you have bald patches or thinning hair. It is sprayed into the hair but aimed at the scalp. In some ways I preferred using this because I didn't need to rub it in like with Dermatch, i.e. the rubbing can cause increased hair loss.

In my view both will give you visibly better results instantly. Mane is actually longer lasting and will stay on you longer than Dermatch. You can also use hairspray on top to make both of these last even longer.

Fibres are a mess and a pain, but still a natural step to take after Dermatch/Mane, and before hair systems.

Dr_Dimoxinil

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Lost Boy take my advice in this case and try one thing before you escalate up to hair systems.

Try Dermatch or try Mane. Don't even go for the fibres yet, because I really don't think you need them just yet - you might in a couple of years, but not yet.

Dermatch applied to your scalp AND to your hair will make your hair look thicker right away.

Mane is like a black spray, which you can apply to wherever you have bald patches or thinning hair. It is sprayed into the hair but aimed at the scalp. In some ways I preferred using this because I didn't need to rub it in like with Dermatch, i.e. the rubbing can cause increased hair loss.

In my view both will give you visibly better results instantly. Mane is actually longer lasting and will stay on you longer than Dermatch. You can also use hairspray on top to make both of these last even longer.

Fibres are a mess and a pain, but still a natural step to take after Dermatch/Mane, and before hair systems.

Hello deg_dilemma,

That's interesting, could you explain why you think Dermmatch is the better product if you still have a good bit of hair? Do you think Dermmatch is also better for the crown area?

I myself have mainly had thinning around the crown area so far, and have used Gofybr to cover it up. I've been very happy with the results.

deg_dilemma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Dr D

When I first started using concealers, I still had a reasonable amount of hair but it was noticeably thinning in the crown. Dermatch was the first concealer I used. I wet the applicator and applied the Dermatch powder to the hairs and some to the skin, on the crown. I then brushed it through. I found that it thickened all the hairs, and plus it coloured the scalp darker, which meant that the bald areas were not visible any more.

I used Dermatch on its own probably for 2 or 3 years, after which I started using fibres in combination with it. The combination lasted me another 3 years or so, after which I needed a hair system. The combination works really well when you have more advanced thinning.

The advantage of Dermatch is that it doesn't come off easily. Fibres come off too easily, like if you bump your head or get caught in rain or go swimming, even if you hairspray them. But at that point my experience was that I was using fibres on very thinning hair, almost bald on the crown!

Actually I did at some point substitute Mane for Dermatch, because Mane colours the scalp black and then the fibres are used to build the hair on top. Mane lasts longer than Dermatch.

Worth trying all these products at least once... they're so cheap and easy compared to hair systems :D

Hello deg_dilemma,

That's interesting, could you explain why you think Dermmatch is the better product if you still have a good bit of hair? Do you think Dermmatch is also better for the crown area?

I myself have mainly had thinning around the crown area so far, and have used Gofybr to cover it up. I've been very happy with the results.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Dr D

When I first started using concealers, I still had a reasonable amount of hair but it was noticeably thinning in the crown. Dermatch was the first concealer I used. I wet the applicator and applied the Dermatch powder to the hairs and some to the skin, on the crown. I then brushed it through. I found that it thickened all the hairs, and plus it coloured the scalp darker, which meant that the bald areas were not visible any more.

I used Dermatch on its own probably for 2 or 3 years, after which I started using fibres in combination with it. The combination lasted me another 3 years or so, after which I needed a hair system. The combination works really well when you have more advanced thinning.

The advantage of Dermatch is that it doesn't come off easily. Fibres come off too easily, like if you bump your head or get caught in rain or go swimming, even if you hairspray them. But at that point my experience was that I was using fibres on very thinning hair, almost bald on the crown!

Actually I did at some point substitute Mane for Dermatch, because Mane colours the scalp black and then the fibres are used to build the hair on top. Mane lasts longer than Dermatch.

Worth trying all these products at least once... they're so cheap and easy compared to hair systems :D

Great advice man. I have pretty minor thinning (although kinda advanced for my age, 22) in the crown. I’ve been really happy with toppik but maybe I should try dermatch as well and see how that works.

Just curious, did you try medications? And if you did, did they work?

deg_dilemma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great advice man. I have pretty minor thinning (although kinda advanced for my age, 22) in the crown. I’ve been really happy with toppik but maybe I should try dermatch as well and see how that works.

Just curious, did you try medications? And if you did, did they work?

Hey man, yes I tried Fina for a year or so, it messed me up real bad. I got over the hormone/sex drive thing after a few months but after that my mind started going hazy and I couldn't think clearly... I don't think I ever have recovered from that. In terms of hair loss, I believe the Fina did stop loss for a few months. But the side effects were just too much.

Minoxdil worked for a while but stopped after a few months too.

Definitely try Dermatch and Mane, seperately. I still use them on my side hair, with a topper hair system.

Lost Boy

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yeah I think i’m going to try Dermatch, although i heard it kinda looks like makeup on your head. I’m not sure if that was said by people with more severe hair loss but still something to consider nonetheless. It seems you had a good experience with it which is good. I also heard it’s a pain to apply. I mean i won’t be using a lot anyway but i’m afraid it might look unnatural or clumpy. Im just using it on the top & on my side part. I really do hope this works because if so, it’ll flip my world upside down. Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

Lost Boy

My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought you’ve tried concealers already. If you haven’t, I think it’s be extremely naive to just jump straight into a system. Believe me, I was in your position and everyone here told me to try concealers. It works very well and I don’t have to worry about the costs/constant upkeep of a system.

I recommend toppik with some heavy duty hairspray. I use Aussie extreme hold. My hair is longer than yours so hairspray keeps it all in place while also keeping the fibers in ALL DAY.

If you haven’t tried finasteride, I’d recommend that too. I’ve been on for a year and I’ve had no side effects. At the same time, I haven’t had much benefit either, but most people do.
You guys have sold me on concealers haha thank you for your advice you may have saved me from a mistake. Although i think i’ll try Dermatch first as it is the most secure concealer. I’ve been on finateride for about 7 months now with no regrowth but hair loss has definitely slowed down a lot. Who knows maybe there could be some regrowth in the future. Fingers crossed! :)

deg_dilemma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lost Boy try Mane as well. One of the 2 will work for u, for a couple of years at least I reckon.

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys have sold me on concealers haha thank you for your advice you may have saved me from a mistake. Although i think i’ll try Dermatch first as it is the most secure concealer. I’ve been on finateride for about 7 months now with no regrowth but hair loss has definitely slowed down a lot. Who knows maybe there could be some regrowth in the future. Fingers crossed! :)

Exactly...

You could use Avodart as it is more effective
NGF-574H is about to be released
Then you have Sisheido and Histogen..one of them may work properly..
No need to panic yet...

In the meantime Toppik if you feel like it...

Lost Boy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lost Boy try Mane as well. One of the 2 will work for u, for a couple of years at least I reckon.
I think i’ll try Dermatch first & see if i like that. Mane got some pretty mixed reviews on Amazon & i’m pretty sure it’s not waterproof!

Lost Boy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly...

You could use Avodart as it is more effective
NGF-574H is about to be released
Then you have Sisheido and Histogen..one of them may work properly..
No need to panic yet...

In the meantime Toppik if you feel like it...
If Dermatch works well i’m actually fine if there is no regrowth. I mean my hair loss has significantly slowed down & I’m okay with that. But if worse comes to worse i’ll give other solutions a try.

Lost Boy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Lost Boy

It would be interesting if you could share your progress with us in this thread :)
Finasteride really doesn’t give me any visible results it just slows/stops the hair loss. If you’re talking about my Dermatch progress then i’d be happy to show you guys! After all you guys were the ones who suggested it to me it’s the least i could do :)

Noah

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the majority view. Certainly concealer will work fine for you, but because of your hairloss pattern - thinning all over the middle, but with a relatively intact hairline - a system in behind your natural hairline would also work very well, and would be a cosmetically better and far less troublesome result. Concealer looks very good, at least when you have that much hair, but it is very messy to apply every morning, and it comes off on your pillows, your sofa, your date etc. Having used both, I prefer a system, and with the quality, cost and realism of modern systems I don't agree that they should always be the last resort.

Noah

Dr_Dimoxinil

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Noah

How difficult is it to get a system that you put behind your natural hairline, and that blends in with your natural hairline?

Apart from that, I agree that systems shouldn't be thought of as the last resort, and I think they're generally an underrated solution to hair-loss.

Noah

Reaction score
@Noah

How difficult is it to get a system that you put behind your natural hairline, and that blends in with your natural hairline?

Apart from that, I agree that systems shouldn't be thought of as the last resort, and I think they're generally an underrated solution to hair-loss.

Hi Doctor,

It's not difficult at all. I think the more difficult issue is whether it's worth it. For Flippy I think it definitely is, because he has a nearly-intact hairline with a lot of hairloss behind it, so he would be able to have a hair system with a normal 30-year-old's density hair system, and it would blend perfectly with his hairline. If you have a thinner density hairline then, if you keep it, you are tying yourself to a lower density hair system, which means you are missing out on one of the chief benefits of a system, which is that you can have a full head of hair.

Do you have a pretty full hairline left?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride really doesn’t give me any visible results it just slows/stops the hair loss. If you’re talking about my Dermatch progress then i’d be happy to show you guys! After all you guys were the ones who suggested it to me it’s the least i could do :)
You’re 20? Has anyone ever noticed your hair loss?

Dr_Dimoxinil

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Noah

My hairline is in good shape. At the moment I only got some visible thinning around the crown, but my hairloss doesn't seem very aggressive. (I'll be 29 in June, and I only got some visible thinning around the crown, and I think a somewhat maturing hairline.)

My plan at the moment is to cover my crown and my mid-scalp with concealers until they are too far gone, and then to switch to a hair-system.

I expect that concealers will probably do their work for a long time. My main concern is what to do if/when my hairline gets a lot worse. I don't really know how easy it will be to deal with a receding hairline using hairstyles and concealers... I have been investigating the idea of partial hairpieces that I might use.

I realize that at least some people have used partial hairpieces and liked the results they achieved, but I find that hard to judge. I'm fairly confident that a hair-system for the entire scalp should work really well, but I still have my doubts that an improvised partial hairpiece has a high chance of working well... That's why I was interested in your suggestion that a partial hairpiece that blends in with the hairline is a good idea, and potentially even better than concealers for many people.