Ironic thing happened to me.......

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I was tired of seeing my hair thinning down the middle and my true widow's peak slowly becoming non-existent that I styled my hair different and put some toppik on it and managed to really make it look half way decent that this guy who had a great hairline but was balding in the back told my co-worker that I must be wearing a wig. I was totally flattered because ironically I was able to cover up my thinning so good it looked like a great hair piece. Its amazing what some creative styling can do for you.

beaner

Reaction score
If you were using Toppik, essentially you were wearing a hairpiece.

Not so ironic really.

Do you plan to wear Toppik every day now in front of this co-worker? If you don't, they will probably figure out you're going bald and are trying to cover it up.

Seems like you may have created more work for yourself.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
My co-workers have seen my hair without toppik and really don't think I have much of a problem. The also know I my hair situation because I am honest about my situation. By the way I only had to use a few couple of sprinkles of toppik which took a total of 30 seconds more to do. Today, I went to a theme park and I would say practically no one was balding and there were thousands and thousands of people there. I think people are getting blessed with better genetics.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
I think people are getting blessed with better genetics.

Indeed, evolution is a popular theory. =p

I have a similar story. I'm pretty adept with concealers and products at this point. A friend of mine was talking to me about her boyfriend and said, "I wish he head of hair like yours." I couldn't decide if I should sh*t my pants or faint.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
I went to a theme park and I would say practically no one was balding and there were thousands and thousands of people there. I think people are getting blessed with better genetics.

really? i see bald/balding people everywhere I go, even young kids. I used to never notice, but now I do, everywhere I look.

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, I see balding people everywhere too, young and old. Very few people have a perfect hair line, even if they are technically NW1, and their hair can be thin too, or way to thick. Very few have it perfect.

It is hard to say if the conselors just look like too much hair too soon, or if they have a fake look to them. When I used dermmatch, I looked thicker, and good from some angles, but fake from others. It works best if your hair is thick enough already and you are just hiding the scalp. If it is thin enough to get a good view of the scalp, people will easily be able to see the dermmatch on it and will think your scalp looks brown.

Toppik actually thickens the hair, so it maight be more real looking.

IBM

Reaction score
It is safe to use concealers? Maybe i'll start to use it to get density on my temples.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:

Not so ironic really.

Do you plan to wear Toppik every day now in front of this co-worker? If you don't, they will probably figure out you're going bald and are trying to cover it up.

Toppik is not a hairpiece...

I've used Toppik every day I've left the house for the past 4 years and will continue to do so. It's not for everyone but it certainly is no hair piece/wig. It's a concealer and the trick is not to use a lot.

s.a.f

Reaction score
chr1s said:
It's a concealer and the trick is not to use a lot.
Thats the most common problem, better to use too little than too much. Its amazing the difference a tiny sprinkle can make.

IBM

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
chr1s said:
It's a concealer and the trick is not to use a lot.
Thats the most common problem, better to use too little than too much. Its amazing the difference a tiny sprinkle can make.

saf concealers are safe for use? It makes male pattern baldness process more agressive?

beaner

Reaction score
chr1s said:
beaner said:

Not so ironic really.

I've used Toppik every day I've left the house for the past 4 years and will continue to do so. It's not for everyone but it certainly is no hair piece/wig. It's a concealer and the trick is not to use a lot.

Ummm----I didn't mean that in the literal sense (which was quite obvious),I know what toppik is, I've used it myself for years, but you do indeed put on toppik and remove toppik----just like a hair piece. People will grow accustomed to seeing a person with toppik and if one day they show up without it, someone will notice---just like a hairpiece. Perhaps not in the case of Dr House because by his own admission his hair loss isn't noticeable, but for alot of people toppik is the equivalent of a hairpiece and some (including myself years ago and also apparently you) won't leave the house without putting it on.

Toppik= wig in a can

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yea, I agree...it is a wig of sorts. It works in the same way. It covers up your hairloss so it appears you have thick hair.

I have been very tempted to use it at times, because it is perfect for someone like me. Thinning crown, dark hair.

However, I don't want to go down the road because once you start you can't really stop.

amsch

Reaction score
Yeah i know, good styling can work wonders.

I'm about a Norwood 3 on the Norwood scale, with thinning on the crown as well. But I was at least born with thick, curly hair, and i'm still able to style my hair to a Norwood 1, even if it gets harder day by day.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Anyway house, what happened in the end, do all your co-workers actualy think you're wearing a wig now?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Anyway house, what happened in the end, do all your co-workers actualy think you're wearing a wig now?
No, my co-workers know its my real hair. My co-workers also think I am nuts with my obsession with my hair but then again, they are not perfect either. Remember, it was not my co-workers that made any comment about my hair looking like a wig in the first place other than how I styled it differently. It was some total stranger who was balding and definitely a Norwood spotter like most of us on here who made the comment to one of my co-workers in Spanish. My co-worker who is female told him, no its all my real hair and told him I would be thrilled that he thought my hair looked so good knowing how obsessed I am with my hair. Who knows, maybe he even posts here too. I do not even use the toppik much anyway because my hair looks fine now without it due to how I styled it. I even did not put any on the other day and it looked pretty much the same. Remember, it was a balding person who made the comment. I doubt someone with a great head of hair would have thought the same. Its amazing how much more happy I am now with my new style. I got some high lights( very subtle ones) and now I am getting complements about my hair like crazy. I had this older patient who I have seen for years ask me if I lost weight because I look different. I told her no, I weigh about the same. Then she said, I know, it's your hair. It looks real sharp. It just re-affirmed my hair needs to be styled like this for now on. Not to rub it in to my fellow forum members, but I have to admit, I look like a NW1 again. My co-workers(females) told me to get the high lights done because it would look thicker and give it more body. Sure enough, they were right. With my new style, I can now apply the foam twice per day and it cosmetically does not alter my style. That makes me real happy too. I am hoping now to recruit some of those hairs I lost by stopping minoxidil twice daily. By the way S.a.f., I PM'd you twice with messages and you did not respond. I thought your silence from not responding to them meant you were "rolling your eyes" or giving me the :shakehead: like Hat Prisoner does to some of our fellow posters.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
beaner said:
chr1s said:
beaner said:

Not so ironic really.

Ummm----I didn't mean that in the literal sense (which was quite obvious),I know what toppik is, I've used it myself for years, but you do indeed put on toppik and remove toppik----just like a hair piece. People will grow accustomed to seeing a person with toppik and if one day they show up without it, someone will notice---just like a hairpiece. Perhaps not in the case of Dr House because by his own admission his hair loss isn't noticeable, but for alot of people toppik is the equivalent of a hairpiece and some (including myself years ago and also apparently you) won't leave the house without putting it on.

Toppik= wig in a can

Well actually my thinning isn't THAT noticeable. I guess I understand what you're saying some people do have a more significant amount of loss and can essentially be used "as a wig". That must mean they are putting a lot on. However, I do not see how Toppik works with a significant amount of loss but some people may manage to pull it off inconspicuously, I don't know how. I just use it lightly and sporadically to conceal some thinning spots after styling.

You could use the same comparison about a woman's make up. If she uses a concealer to cover up a small blemish on her face you'd say it's a concealer, but if she just slathers on a heavy layer on her entire face and neck then you can say she's "essentially wearing a mask". You are just over exaggerating.

Toppik is a concealer. Telling him that he is "essentially wearing a hairpiece" is just a flat out bad comparison on your part. He's just wearing a concealer, period.