Involvement Of Mechanical Stress In Androgenetic Alopecia | Von Mises 2d Analysis Models

killme

Established Member
Reaction score
So are thes stress areas supposed to cause more hairloss due lack of blood flow only? or there are higher levels of reductase in these areas too? or something else different in these areas compared to unaffected areas?

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
2D static analysis of von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” with added fixed support in the front:
upload_2018-6-12_13-53-42.png

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Overview of relaxed skin tension lines (RSTLs) with added offload points, anastomotic network of the scalp arteries upper view with band and offload points, nerve sensory innervation of the scalp top view with added offload points vs. 2D static analysis of von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” with added fixed support in the front:
upload_2018-6-12_14-30-20.png

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. scalp overview of a typical baldness pattern:
upload_2018-6-24_23-18-26.png

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. scalp overview of a typical baldness pattern. Horizontal lines are added between the Von Mises stress model and the real example to section up into zones which are used for model validation:
upload_2018-6-25_0-35-46.png

1. It appears that the stress model is reproducing a very similar pattern as the real example where hair is preserved in center of the frontal area whereas there is full baldness on both sides of the preserved area. In this section it appears that the real example is showing a positive correlation of low Von Mises stress and hair preservation.
  2. This section appears to be a transition section both for the real example and also for the Von Mises stress model, where it is a transition section between low stress in the center of section 1 and higher stress in center of section 3. The hair preserved in section 2 is thinner than in section 1. Also in this section it appears that the real example is showing a positive correlation of low Von Mises stress and hair preservation.
  3. This section appears to show higher density hair in the real example even due to relatively high stress in the Von Mises model. The green stress areas on both sides in this section cannot be seen reproduced as hair thinning in the real example. This section doesn’t appear to have an obvious correlation between low Von Mises stress and hair preservation, however this can be due to the high density of veins in the scalp in this respective area possible delaying the effects of the stress.
  4. It appears that the real example is showing an inverted baldness pattern than the Von Mises stress model with respect to the lower stress area in the bottom center (creating the “U” shape). When accounting for the appearance of the inverted pattern it appears that also in this section it appears that there is a positive correlation of low Von Mises stress and hair preservation. The inverted pattern can possible be due to the vein network from section 3 and to the center of section 4.

Falsenine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey bro I have a question if the main cause of hair loss is increased stress then how come transplanted hair grows there?

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So if I do scalp excercises like moving the muscles on top of my head, and raising my eyebrows it will reduce stress?

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
upload_2018-6-25_13-22-51.png

The 2D Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” is made in LISA FEA v. 8.0.0 and is made public on github for open source public usage:

Link: github.com/VonMisesFEA/LISA/blob/master/scalp_2d_analysis.liml

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. scalp overview of a typical baldness pattern. Horizontal lines are added between the Von Mises stress model and the real example to section up into zones which are used for model validation.
upload_2018-6-25_14-16-45.png

auld reekie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could wearing a cap (carefully positioned) counter some of this stress by applying force in the opposite direction?

THALL

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could wearing a cap (carefully positioned) counter some of this stress by applying force in the opposite direction?
Don't think so. I don't really like this theory but the main point of it is that mechanical stress increases AR expression over the years, so removing the stress probably doesn't work

auld reekie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I think that's the study. There's a pic of the device there. Where the f*** do we buy that thing? study looks good.

You can just tie something around your head. I've got a dressing gown chord tied over now and it feels good, you feel the weight being taken off the top of your head straight away, it's also pulsating with circulation which is interesting.

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. scalp overview of a typical baldness pattern. Horizontal lines are added between the Von Mises stress model and the real example to section up into zones which are used for model validation.
upload_2018-6-25_21-40-9.png

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. three scalps overview of a typical baldness pattern. Horizontal lines are added between the Von Mises stress model and the real examples to section up into zones which are used for model validation.
upload_2018-6-25_21-59-19.png

MorningGlory

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead - I used to have an unhealthy (in the end) running routine and would often feel physical tension in my head from where I’d been straining and possibly some wind chill factor. Do you think this could have hastened my hair loss at all?

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. three scalps overview of a typical baldness pattern vs. anastomotic network of the scalp arteries. Horizontal lines are added to section up into zones which are used for model validation.
upload_2018-6-25_23-48-34.png

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. scalp overview of a typical baldness pattern vs. anastomotic network of the scalp arteries. Horizontal lines are added to section up into zones which are used for model validation.
upload_2018-6-25_23-57-42.png

VonMises

My Regimen
Reaction score
Von Mises stress model “With half opposite force rear” (image scaled 35%) vs. anastomotic network of the scalp arteries. Horizontal lines are added to section up into zones which are used for model validation. Circles indicate areas with scalp arteries with potential poor flow capacity.

upload_2018-6-26_12-35-40.png