Influence of finasteride on sperm, from reddit

Pigeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get there are reservations for finasteride, but it looks like most of the issues stem from people who are generally 25 and younger.
Purely anecdotal but it seems to be the case, atleast if we're talking about serious sides.

BurningCoals

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
baldness leads to a 100% fertility rate in sperm
I read somewhere that hair loss actually is associated with a decrease in fertility, and that the more hair loss one has the more decrease in fertility. Not sure if it is 100% true, but still tho

JGC

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that hair loss actually is associated with a decrease in fertility, and that the more hair loss one has the more decrease in fertility. Not sure if it is 100% true, but still tho
Hello BC, just curious if you have the link to the research that indicates infertility in men is linked to hair loss. Generally the consensus is that androgenic alopecia is due to over-conversion of testosterone to dht. On the anecdotal note, I have a friend of mine, 32 yrs of age, obese, and low levels of testosterone (low 300's) and has a full set of hair. Sadly he cannot conceive due to sperm motility and count. The human body is complicated, more than what we're led to believe by conventional medicine. Just from experience I'd advise to take a food allergen exam (not covered by insurance usually) and go from there. Hair loss is a sign of inflammation in the body, whether through habitual consumption of inflammatory foods or environmental factors including lack of sun exposure (D3 vitamin is a hormone modulator). Just trying to shed some light on the path I've already traveled. Thanks and good luck!

BurningCoals

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello BC, just curious if you have the link to the research that indicates infertility in men is linked to hair loss. Generally the consensus is that androgenic alopecia is due to over-conversion of testosterone to dht. On the anecdotal note, I have a friend of mine, 32 yrs of age, obese, and low levels of testosterone (low 300's) and has a full set of hair. Sadly he cannot conceive due to sperm motility and count. The human body is complicated, more than what we're led to believe by conventional medicine. Just from experience I'd advise to take a food allergen exam (not covered by insurance usually) and go from there. Hair loss is a sign of inflammation in the body, whether through habitual consumption of inflammatory foods or environmental factors including lack of sun exposure (D3 vitamin is a hormone modulator). Just trying to shed some light on the path I've already traveled. Thanks and good luck!
I saw a bunch of articles claiming it, but I tracked down the what I think is the original study:

I only skimmed through it, make your own conclusion.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you really think that myth of the propaganda from Mercks during the 90s that there is an hormone in our body, and evil one, that only do harm ? Is just our f*****g genes , the man behind you may be have double the levels of your DHT and have a norwood 0. So you really think that in that male DHT is useless too ?
Also, we are blocking an enzyme to prevent the formation of DHT, which make thinks much worst since alpha reductase is part of many other reactions in our body .

JGC

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw a bunch of articles claiming it, but I tracked down the what I think is the original study:

I only skimmed through it, make your own conclusion.
That's an interesting finding BC. Makes sense though since Androgenetic Alopecia is an inflammatory response. I did go back and read current study which does support your article. It does appear that baldness doesn't necessarily mean more test, but how sensitive the genetics of an individual is to converting that 10% test to dht. Again, could also be genetically linked to what foods you are eating as well as stated in my previous posts. In addition I found that my insulin levels were high (insulin resistance) which studies have shown higher insulin levels can lead to reduced sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) levels which are needed as they bind to DHT and stop it from binding to hair follicles. Again, you may be genetically predisposed to these conditions as another member here commented, but the point of this post is to raise awareness to root causes of male pattern baldness and ways to slow it down. Whether you choose finasteride, minoxidil, whatever, just know the long term risks and feel comfortable making your decision.
I'll keep my update on my weaning off schedule as any symptoms arise. Thanks

Pigeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Pigeon,
Any updates on that semen exam from the couple conceiving? Interesting point is I had my kid at year 10 into finasteride and he is a healthy boy (thank God). Just curious to see what 1 week pause of finasteride did for that individual.
I'm not following the couple, check their reddit maybe they posted some more info.

And great to hear!

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair has nothing to do with sexuality. The main reason for balding is hair being sensitive to androgens. Difference between men who go bald and men don't is their hair being sensitive or not being sensitive.

BurningCoals

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair has nothing to do with sexuality. The main reason for balding is hair being sensitive to androgens. Difference between men who go bald and men don't is their hair being sensitive or not being sensitive.
Well there is that study I posted above, which if legit shows that indeed it does kinda correlate, but either way I don’t care and since hair loss isn’t exactly unusual it’s not really an overcomeable obstacle or anything. I’m aware of the sensitivity to DHT aspect btw.