If Propecia gets pulled off market, I'll pull a Virginia Beach

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You take finasteride at your own risk. I take generic finasteride and each box contains a piece of paper that lists all the possible side effects and that if you have any of them you should stop taking it immediately. I've been on it for 6 months and I'm doing perfectly fine, like many others. Just because these guys had adverse reactions doesn't mean that the drug should be pulled off the market for the rest of us.

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it probably will be allowed for Hairloss use off-label. Finasteride is also used for prostate treatment like in Proscar 5mg.

The aim of this group is to remove "Propecia" from the market or to be removed from having FDA approval as a hair loss treatment.

Also, I doubt that Propecia will be removed from the market, not because I don't believe the law suit against Propecia/Finasteride (I do believe how bad the drug can be) , but because of the big money and thereby power for corruption that Big Pharma has to buy a win.

Although even if it is removed from the market, it will take be obtained from some online pharmacies that don't require a prescription.
Just so you're aware, they're trying to have all forms of finasteride pulled off the market for hair loss indications. This also involves banning off label prescriptions for proscar and the generic equivalent. You can read their demands on the PFS foundation website, as they openly advertise it on their front page with large red boxes.

Their demands also mention an alternative, which is to have the warnings associated with the medication updated as opposed to having it pulled off the market.

Regardless, I doubt this will amount to anything. If something comes of this, I suspect the product labels will be updated.

Last edited:

clarence-forgotpassword

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just so you're aware, they're trying to have all forms of finasteride pulled off the market for hair loss indications. This also involves banning off label prescriptions for proscar and the generic equivalent. You can read their demands on the PFS foundation website, as they openly advertise it on their front page with large red boxes.

getwhattheydeserve.gif

Names and home addresses, please.

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you want it banned? If others take it successfully why does that bother you?
I don't, I'm trialing it myself right now.

It's unlikely that this will be banned for hair loss indications for several reasons. You have to consider a few things, namely:

1. The psychological state of post hair transplant patients who rely on the medication to stabilize their hair loss. If the medication was taken off the market, they'd bald around their transplanted hair. Then they would run the risk of not having enough donor hair to fix the damage, or not having enough money to get consecutive transplants to keep up with the balding.

2. Similarly, the psychological state of people who are just staving off their hair loss in general. If this is taken off the market, you're condemning people who are using the medication successfully to continue to bald, which I'd wager would wreak havoc on said individuals psychologically given that they were willing to take a 5ARI to halt their hair loss in the first place.

3. If this was banned, people would seek it from less legitimate sources. These sources would be completely unregulated. This has the potential to cause more problems than the number of people claiming that they have PFS. Either that or they would seek alternative medication like RU58841, which is FAR less researched and has a completely unknown side effect profile in humans.

4. The scientific evidence currently doesn't support banning it. The studies we have on PFS have numerous scientific flaws, including biased sample selections, low sample sizes, in some cases the complete lack of control groups, and generally speaking poor methodologies, to name a few. We need larger clinical trials with properly formulated controls, unbiased sample selection, and sound methodologies to properly assess what the incidence of PFS is, as well as what the underlying risk factors are. Without these clinical trials/studies, there isn't enough statistical evidence to support banning the medication.

I don't think that updating the information label on the medication is an unreasonable demand, but the list is already quite long. Most countries from what I understand already include information about persistent side effects on the information packet.

Last edited:

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't, I'm trialing it myself right now.

It's unlikely that this will be banned for hair loss indications for several reasons. You have to consider a few things, namely:

1. The psychological state of post hair transplant patients who rely on the medication to stabilize their hair loss. If the medication was taken off the market, they'd bald around their transplanted hair. Then they would run the risk of not having enough donor hair to fix the damage, or not having enough money to get consecutive transplants to keep up with the balding.

2. Similarly, the psychological state of people who are just staving off their hair loss in general. If this is taken off the market, you're condemning people who are using the medication successfully to continue to bald, which I'd wager would wreak havoc on said individuals psychologically given that they were willing to take a 5ARI to halt their hair loss in the first place.

3. If this was banned, people would seek it from less legitimate sources. These sources would be completely unregulated. This has the potential to cause more problems than the number of people claiming that they have PFS. Either that or they would seek alternative medication like RU58841, which is FAR less researched and has a completely unknown side effect profile in humans.
Maybe they can grandfather the ones who currently use it. I can't see them banning a drug that will doom men who already got a hair transplant to a life time of physical disfigurement especially when many rich and powerful men get hair transplants and will not take this lying down.

There is also the psychological damage it will cause many young men who have been taking finasteride. Can you imagine how a young man, already angry and on the edge, would react if the 'government' told them there is a drug to slow down hairloss but they cannot have it? Just because some soyboys think it caused ED? How many shootings will result?

I think grandfathering is a good compromise - you avoid the social upheaval and clear the market for treatments that might work better.

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe they can grandfather the ones who currently use it. I can't see them banning a drug that will doom men who already got a hair transplant to a life time of physical disfigurement especially when many rich and powerful men get hair transplants and will not take this lying down.

There is also the psychological damage it will cause many young men who have been taking finasteride. Can you imagine how a young man, already angry and on the edge, would react if the 'government' told them there is a drug to slow down hairloss but they cannot have it? Just because some soyboys think it caused ED? How many shootings will result?

I think grandfathering is a good compromise - you avoid the social upheaval and clear the market for treatments that might work better.
Or they just revise the drug information packet (again) and let people make their own decisions about whether or not the risk is worth it to them. Banning it doesn't make any sense right now, particularly given that there isn't a well established alternative medication.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking finasteride over two years, it's effectively stopped my hair loss.

I don't understand these busy-bodies. If you think it's dangerous, thats fine, DONT TAKE IT!

Hair_Gods_Don't_Like_Test

My Regimen
Reaction score
At this point you are a clown, you have recommended people take RU an experimental drug that has nothing but anecdotal evidence with no trials or safety profile ,while simultaneously making ludicrous claims about the scale of damage finasteride has caused to suit a delusional narrative.

How can you recommend RU to people and trash an approved drug?

We are all aware of the risks and sides, they are written on the dam packet.
Isn't that what more plates more dates doe without trashing finasteride? Not arguing just stating.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You don't need to "clear the market for treatments that might work better". If a better treatment comes along people will use it, the presence of an older and less effective treatment isn't stopping anyone unless that person is a retard.
Just let people use the treatment they want.

user394587

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't that what more plates more dates doe without trashing finasteride? Not arguing just stating.
He uses the drug himself but he no longer recommends it as a first line of defense from what I can see. In one of his recent videos he suggests starting with 0.25mg of finasteride and topical minoxidil, then titrating upwards with the finasteride depending on the response to it.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What lmao.

1) everyone knows its not a cure. You saying its not a cure and then going on with the thoughts in “2)” and “5)” completely contradict yourself.

2) contradicted yourself here from “1)”. Every user here knows finasteride is a maintenance drug and only rarely gives incredible results. Its perception and to not lose anymore hair which is exactly what it does, is appearance and self-esteem saving to a lot of people.

3)statistics mean nothing with proper modeling, data validation procedures and analysis. You throwing out unsourced percentages doesn’t come close to the reality of statistical analysis required.

4)i find most doctors who talk about their patients to not be good doctors. Again unsourced.

5)

A) the is need for other meds as you pointed out in “1)”… it’s not perfect cure.

B) nobody does. They’re too busy showing their products mediocre results.

We get it you’re anti-finasteride. You don’t have to take it. Good on you for trying. Shame on you for not moving on. People can take whatever they find fit, your judgment is obsolete.

Lol what?

Regarding no. 2) I mentioned it not being a cure because people here like to act like people just take Finasteride and go on about there lives as if there aren't brutal sheds that happen regularly which isn't enough to cause people to look to online hairloss forums to report it. It's obvious that happens. People are insinuating that people take Finasteride and act as if the internet doesn't exist anymore. People turn to the internet when searching up the flu symptoms but act like they wouldn't check in on hairloss forums when one of their most important features goes through a massive shed. Hence I mentioned that it doesn't make sense to say hairloss forums aren't a true indication of how many people get negative side effects from Finasteride because "obviously they'll be more people who didn't respond positively here" type BS.

Regarding 5) It was a hypothetical. It's literally relating to the same topic, no contradiction lol what are you even reading.

3) "Statistics don't mean nothing" is nonsense, lol what?? . If you go to look for a product online and see a lot of negative reviews, it's a pretty telling sign.

Also, just because I didn't provide sources doesn't mean there aren't, I was just too busy but I can gladly post them, it will take pages and pages to go through all of them hence I didn't include them but I will add just a few in the next post since I ran out of characters for posting the amount of information I had due to limitations of this forum:

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What lmao.

1) everyone knows its not a cure. You saying its not a cure and then going on with the thoughts in “2)” and “5)” completely contradict yourself.

2) contradicted yourself here from “1)”. Every user here knows finasteride is a maintenance drug and only rarely gives incredible results. Its perception and to not lose anymore hair which is exactly what it does, is appearance and self-esteem saving to a lot of people.

3)statistics mean nothing with proper modeling, data validation procedures and analysis. You throwing out unsourced percentages doesn’t come close to the reality of statistical analysis required.

4)i find most doctors who talk about their patients to not be good doctors. Again unsourced.

5)

A) the is need for other meds as you pointed out in “1)”… it’s not perfect cure.

We get it you’re anti-finasteride. You don’t have to take it. Good on you for trying. Shame on you for not moving on. People can take whatever they find fit, your judgment is obsolete.

9 Cited Research Articles:

1. Thornton, J. (2011, November 18). The Truth about Propecia. Retrieved from https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19531052/hair-raising-effect/

2. Gann, C. (2012, July 12). For Some Men, Propecia's Sexual Side Effects May Be Long-lasting. Retrieved from https://abcnews.go.com/Health/baldn...g-possibly-permanent-sexual/story?id=16758123

3. Melcangi, R.C. & et al. (2013, July 24). Neuroactive Steroid Levels are Modified in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Plasma of Post-Finasteride Patients Showing Persistent Sexual Side Effects and Anxious/Depressive Symptomatology. Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jsm.12269

4. Irwig, M.S. (2012, July 12). Persistent Sexual Side Effects of Finasteride: Could They Be Permanent? Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02846.x

5. Marchalik, D. (2017, February 3). Potential side effects of the drug Trump reportedly takes for hair loss. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-

6. Paul, M. (2017, March 9). Hair loss and prostate drugs linked to persistent erectile dysfunction in men. Retrieved from https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...ed-to-persistent-erectile-dysfunction-in-men/

7. FDA.gov. (2016, March 14). Potential Signals of Serious Risks/New Safety Information Identified by the Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) between October – December 2009. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/questions...w-safety-information-identified-adverse-event

8. FDA.gov. (2016, April 4). FDA Drug Safety Communication: 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (5-ARIs) may increase the risk of a more serious form of prostate cancer. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safe...ibitors-5-aris-may-increase-risk-more-serious

9. U.S. National Library of Medicine. (2017, January 3). Erectile Dysfunction. Retrieved from https://medlineplus.gov/erectiledysfunction.html

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
9 Cited Research Articles:

1. Thornton, J. (2011, November 18). The Truth about Propecia. Retrieved from https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19531052/hair-raising-effect/

2. Gann, C. (2012, July 12). For Some Men, Propecia's Sexual Side Effects May Be Long-lasting. Retrieved from https://abcnews.go.com/Health/baldn...g-possibly-permanent-sexual/story?id=16758123

3. Melcangi, R.C. & et al. (2013, July 24). Neuroactive Steroid Levels are Modified in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Plasma of Post-Finasteride Patients Showing Persistent Sexual Side Effects and Anxious/Depressive Symptomatology. Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jsm.12269

4. Irwig, M.S. (2012, July 12). Persistent Sexual Side Effects of Finasteride: Could They Be Permanent? Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02846.x

5. Marchalik, D. (2017, February 3). Potential side effects of the drug Trump reportedly takes for hair loss. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-

There's only 1 link out of about 15 studies I provided that say there's 1.4% of Permanent ED sides. I specifically included that figure so people can see just how great the contrast is from several other studies who found that that figure should have been *AT LEAST 14 TIMES MORE*. Furthermore, sexual side effects are not the only concern to many people. Mental side effects and physical side effects are of concern of many. Im literally speaking to an 18 year old now who is telling me he would never touch Finasteride due to those reasons. I actually didn't even tell him anything bad about Finasteride, he's been linking me with negative reviews and stuff at his young age. It's also because he has several doctors in his family that warned him against using it even in the future. Which is something really interesting to see how doctors will without.

I mentioned several studies which said Finasteride had enormously more negative side effects rate in the links I provided. Just to highlight the figures:

"Persistent sexual dysfunction in 14%"

"Impotence occurred in *15.8 percent* of finasteride users"

"ED was the most Frequently reported side effect"

"Loss of Libido was the most common sexual side effect"

"94% experienced a decline in Libido"

"96% still suffering sexual side effects one year later"

"44% of Propecia users experienced sexual side effects"

"The rate of depressive symptoms was 75 percent in Men"

"64% suffered moderate to severe depressive symptoms"

These are quotes from the studies I posted above just to highlight the enormous contrast in side effects rate compared to that of the FDA which is clearly corrupt. These discrepancies in Figurea are far too enormous to deny major corruption has been going on by Merck, the FDA and any other study that promotes Finasteride or Propecia. It's evident that under 2% claim of Finasteride users that get side effects is the biggest lie and scam possibly the pharmaceutical industry.

Last edited:

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What lmao.

5)

@ no. 4) LOL What??? At this point you're just grasping at straws. Firstly, the doctors did not mention the patients names.

Secondly, ever heard of medical conferences where doctors learn from other doctors? They learn by bringing up and speaking out issues and treatments that they encounter so they know what to look out for.

Thirdly, those are already verified Doctors on Twitter. Now there's tens of thousands of doctors on Twitter, but only a select few get verified. They have to be really exceptional and stand out for them to get verified from all the rest in the first place.

So that's just another useless point from your side, again.

@ no. 5A) Exactly my point, so people saying it works effectively for 90% + of people is clearly nonsense, people really falsely inflate how positive Finasteride actually is at treating hairloss. Blocking DHT is obviously NOT the correct mechanism of Action as DHT is the second most important hormone in males.

Don't even get me started, because I will flood this place with studies about it.

@ no 5B) LOL, just say you don't have any excuse, because that response is terrible.