If My Father Is Bald Will I Be Bald If My Moms Father Isn't ?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
unfortunately i got the aggressive pattern of my uncle . i am really unlucky. and the strange thing is taht my cousin ( father slick bald) are Norwood 1

NoahArsenault23

My Regimen
Reaction score
Impossible to tell really how important they are. No one knows/understands exactly how male pattern baldness is inherited. There is no one specific male pattern baldness gene, rather it's a combination of genes that makes male pattern baldness manifest itself (having the male pattern baldness genes doesn't even mean that you'll go bald lol).

However, at least, you (I guess not otherwise you wouldn't be here on this forum) or your brothers have a chance of getting those master race genes to be NW1 for life. That can be said.
I also found two more exceptions Tom Hardy and Paul Walker.

uhoil

Established Member
Reaction score
My grandfather from moms side is bald since he was in his 30's, but my father is in his 70's and he still has plenty of hair.
Nonetheless I started balding when I was 20, I managed to slow it down after 2 years of finasteride and minoxidil every night, I also added nizoral 1% every 3 days.
If you don't have any signs of male pattern baldness dont worry, but if you feel like you're starting to lose hair do something about it immediately.

NoahArsenault23

My Regimen
Reaction score
My grandfather from moms side is bald since he was in his 30's, but my father is in his 70's and he still has plenty of hair.
Nonetheless I started balding when I was 20, I managed to slow it down after 2 years of finasteride and minoxidil every night, I also added nizoral 1% every 3 days.
If you don't have any signs of male pattern baldness dont worry, but if you feel like you're starting to lose hair do something about it immediately.
Nope I have a full head of hair but I'm only 17
My dad's dad wasn't bald so I'm not sure if its hard for me to inherit the bald gene from my dad.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
I also found two more exceptions Tom Hardy and Paul Walker.

Tom Hardy has very thin hair.

af6dd382aff88c43d0a691b521231eac.jpg
tumblr_la9v3tp7Dt1qenkqlo1_r1_500.jpg

Paul Walker definitely was a lucky bastard (in the hair department)

Paul-Walker-was-ready-to-quit-Hollywood-before-he-died.jpg

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope I have a full head of hair but I'm only 17
My dad's dad wasn't bald so I'm not sure if its hard for me to inherit the bald gene from my dad.

I wouldn't be here if I had a full head of hair lol. How did you end up here? Just curious. At 17 when I had a full head of hair, I didn't even know that something like a hair loss forum existed.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
People
who are visibly bald in their twenties, or earlier, will have it much more agressive than someone later in life.

So, you probably have a fifty/fifty shot. That said, if your dad is older than his forties, and not balding,
you will not have it agressively. Worst case, you will slowly lose your hair. Best case, you will not.

I disagree, im 19 and dad is 50 with norwood 2 and im close to norwood 3. Worst feeling in the world but it is what it is

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
To see if I'll go bald I have a feeling I will start to thin very soon.

I didn't even know that balding could start that soon before it happened to me.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I didn't even know that balding could start that soon before it happened to me.

yep , same here never thought it would happen so early. I first noticed it right before I turned 17,ignored it for a year and finally started treatment at 18.

hair loss runs rampart in my family so I remember having thoughts as a kid "what if I go bald someday" but I always pictured it at 40 years old, not 18.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I disagree, im 19 and dad is 50 with norwood 2 and im close to norwood 3. Worst feeling in the world but it is what it is

Why? You have it more agressive because you got it younger. Your mom might have also had the gene.

Dsport

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does mick Jagger wear hair??

His father was an early Norwood 7

Dsport

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Orlando bloom is adopted, no?

"If my father is bald..."

Then everything is else is irrelevant and you WILL, almost always, go bald even if you're dad's brothers have hair and his father had hair and you're mom's side of the family are all NW1. Matter of the fact is, bald father --> bald son, in most cases.

Exceptions? Orlando Bloom and Ricardo Kaka, who have fathers that are NW5 and NW7, respectively. Yet, they both have a full head of hair. You'll find many more exceptions (I think), but it's certain that your chances of keeping a legendary thick mane are VERY slim (given that you won't use any treatments) if your father is bald.

livinginfear93

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read that baldness really only gets passed down from your mothers dad in cases of early onset baldness (aggressively balding in your 20s). If you aren't experiencing hairloss at a young age then your hair's future will more likely be determined by a mixed bag of genes from both your mom and dad. Here is the most advanced genetic study related to male pattern baldness to date saying this.

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1006594

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, no it doesn't mean that you will going bald if your father is bald, there are so many examples of fullhead father and a bald son.
Trust me!

My dad is 63 with full hairs on his head i'm NW3 vertex.

There are so many examples with this option:

Woody Harrelson':

msg-121918522545.jpg

His father:

article-2346838-1A7784BD000005DC-701_306x423.jpg

It's just gene lottery, that's all!

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score

Dsport

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope.

I had early onset at 18, and dad was Norwood 5 at 27.

Moms dad was nw1 at 80

I've read that baldness really only gets passed down from your mothers dad in cases of early onset baldness (aggressively balding in your 20s). If you aren't experiencing hairloss at a young age then your hair's future will more likely be determined by a mixed bag of genes from both your mom and dad. Here is the most advanced genetic study related to male pattern baldness to date saying this.

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1006594