If My Father Is Bald Will I Be Bald If My Moms Father Isn't ?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
First off, it comes from BOTH parents.

Second - Scientists know it's NOT the X or Y chromosone. But they don't know which chromosone it is.

People that have good genes from one parent, and bad from another will still go bald (males, it's dominant).

But, they will go bald SLOWER. General rule: Later in life baldness hit's you, the better off you will be. People
who are visibly bald in their twenties, or earlier, will have it much more agressive than someone later in life.

So, you probably have a fifty/fifty shot. That said, if your dad is older than his forties, and not balding,
you will not have it agressively. Worst case, you will slowly lose your hair. Best case, you will not.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I seen many cases where the mothers side genes seem to dominate, you could be right. About stress, if it were that simple do you think we would sit here and go bald so easily? Stress that magically makes hair fall off in very distinct patterns? No, your father didnt cause it on himself, dont say things like that, male pattern baldness is real and not induced by external factors.

NoahArsenault23

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't mean his hair loss was caused from stress I meant the stress caused it to lose it very quickly because before that my dad didn't have a receading hairline or a bald spot he had a Norwood 1 I know what male pattern baldness is and I'm fully aware of it.

br1

Reaction score
My dad and his dad are bald. NW7.
My mom's dad passed away with a full head (NW1 - there is no such a thing as NW0), white hair.

My brother is 38 and has same hair as in his teens.
I'm 40 and have this f*****g disease since my mid 20s.

f*** this

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The whole theory that the balding gene comes from the mothers side is the oldest myth in the book. If you haven't yet got any signs of balding, then the worst thing you can do psychologically is worry it, take it from someone who's been there, worrying over losing your hair even before you show any signs of balding will quickly escalate into an obsession and drive you insane.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
"If my father is bald..."

Then everything is else is irrelevant and you WILL, almost always, go bald even if you're dad's brothers have hair and his father had hair and you're mom's side of the family are all NW1. Matter of the fact is, bald father --> bald son, in most cases.

Exceptions? Orlando Bloom and Ricardo Kaka, who have fathers that are NW5 and NW7, respectively. Yet, they both have a full head of hair. You'll find many more exceptions (I think), but it's certain that your chances of keeping a legendary thick mane are VERY slim (given that you won't use any treatments) if your father is bald.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"If my father is bald..."

Then everything is else is irrelevant and you WILL, almost always, go bald even if you're dad's brothers have hair and his father had hair and you're mom's side of the family are all NW1. Matter of the fact is, bald father --> bald son, in most cases.

Exceptions? Orlando Bloom and Ricardo Kaka, who have fathers that are NW5 and NW7, respectively. Yet, they both have a full head of hair. You'll find many more exceptions (I think), but it's certain that your chances of keeping a legendary thick mane are VERY slim (given that you won't use any treatments) if your father is bald.
Very exaggerated! I know people with bald fathers who have hair. Two guys i know who are brothers are around 40 now and have full hair, their father been bald as long as i can remember, a true nw7. Its not uncommon at all, you have no basis for your claim, its unfounded.

jo123456789

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dad was nw5 at 73
Both brothers 4 at 45 and 50 and were losing hair at 20.
Moms dad was nw1-2 at 80
I'm 1.5 at 39 with very slow recession at hairline but no crown loss.
Who knows, it's weird.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
Very exaggerated! I know people with bald fathers who have hair. Two guys i know who are brothers are around 40 now and have full hair, their father been bald as long as i can remember, a true nw7. Its not uncommon at all, you have no basis for your claim, its unfounded.

Nah, it's not unfounded. Bald fathers simply get bald sons significantly more often than fathers who do have hair. I thought everyone knew this anyway. I can't be bothered by Googling for studies that show this, you can search for that yourself.

You're mentioning exceptions in your post, so what? I did that with Kaka and Orlando Bloom.

If your father is bald, you have a higher likelihood of developing male pattern baldness than if your father did have hair.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah, it's not unfounded. Bald fathers simply get bald sons significantly more often than fathers who do have hair. I thought everyone knew this anyway. I can't be bothered by Googling for studies that show this, you can search for that yourself.

You're mentioning exceptions in your post, so what? I did that with Kaka and Orlando Bloom.

If your father is bald, you have a higher likelihood of developing male pattern baldness than if your father did have hair.
But maybe you can be bothered to reread your own post, it comes across as very bombastic and over confident, its oversimplifying, if genetics were that simple you have revolutionized dna research. But its not that simple, and here is WHY IT CAN OFTEN COME FROM MOM, explained in a very basic way for easy understanding :

"Back in 2005, researchers did a similar study on, again, balding German men. They found a DNA difference on the X chromosome that was associated with going bald.

This finding fits very well with the idea that baldness can come from someone's maternal grandfather. Because each son has a 50-50 shot of getting an X from their maternal grandpa through their mom.

The X and the Y chromosome determine whether someone will be a boy or a girl. If someone has two X chromosomes, then she is almost always female. And if someone has an X and a Y chromosome, then he is almost always male.

What this means is that a daughter always gets dad's X chromosome and a son always gets dad's Y chromosome. This is why dad determines the gender of the child.

Imagine that someone has a maternal grandfather who is balding. He will give his "balding" X to his daughters. They probably won't go bald because they have an extra X chromosome from mom. The daughters will pass this "balding" X down to their sons half of the time."
http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news100

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
But maybe you can be bothered to reread your own post, it comes across as very bombastic and over confident, its oversimplifying, if genetics were that simple you have revolutionized dna research. But its not that simple, and here is WHY IT CAN OFTEN COME FROM MOM, explained in a very basic way for easy understanding :

"Back in 2005, researchers did a similar study on, again, balding German men. They found a DNA difference on the X chromosome that was associated with going bald.

This finding fits very well with the idea that baldness can come from someone's maternal grandfather. Because each son has a 50-50 shot of getting an X from their maternal grandpa through their mom.

The X and the Y chromosome determine whether someone will be a boy or a girl. If someone has two X chromosomes, then she is almost always female. And if someone has an X and a Y chromosome, then he is almost always male.

What this means is that a daughter always gets dad's X chromosome and a son always gets dad's Y chromosome. This is why dad determines the gender of the child.

Imagine that someone has a maternal grandfather who is balding. He will give his "balding" X to his daughters. They probably won't go bald because they have an extra X chromosome from mom. The daughters will pass this "balding" X down to their sons half of the time."
http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news100

LOL @ bold.

As I said, research indicates, that a bald father increases chances on baldness compared to men with a father that has hair. If it were that simple, the X-chromosome thing, then 50% of men that have great genes from the maternal side should be safe. That is also not the case. Also, having the male pattern baldness gene as a man does not necessarily mean that you will go bald. Having the male pattern baldness gene does not mean that it will manifest itself in the individual. So yeah, BOTH genes of BOTH sexes count. It is NOT mostly from mother's side. Your look is very simplistic as well.

Anyway, let's it end here. No one really knows how the process of inheriting works exactly. Not you, not me. You could be closer to the truth than me and vice versa.

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-loss/genetics/ for further reading. Even he says, "don't know bruh."

Update:

Also, just wanted to say as it is also stated at Bernstein's site, many different genes are involved, which makes it VERY difficult to predict baldness.

Also, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-10-13/dads-pass-on-bald-genes-to-sons-research/539822

Last edited:

shookwun

Reaction score
Father bald, high chances you will experience baldness also.

How are his uncles, and his father?

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
Father bald, high chances you will experience baldness also.

How are his uncles, and his father?

This lol, if your father is bald and you remain a full head for life then that is an exception.

A cousin of mine though, has a father that is thick NW2 at 65 or so and he started to go bald at 20 and was a NW7 at 30. Of course, my cousin's brothers are full heads (he was an unfortunate exception).

shookwun

Reaction score
This lol, if your father is bald and you remain a full head for life then that is an exception.

A cousin of mine though, has a father that is thick NW2 at 65 or so and he started to go bald at 20 and was a NW7 at 30. Of course, my cousin's brothers are full heads (he was an unfortunate exception).
its rare.

The father tends to be a concrete figure in determining a lot of peoples hair condition. We here about this exceptions, but it doesn't take away from the majority.

Father is sly NW7.
Grandpa NW5
All my uncles are bald

(fathers side)

I ended up taking my grandpas NW5 patern. Thank god I dont have the subhuman NW7 look going... As of right now my sides, and back are showing a NW5 for terminal hair.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
how important are the uncle on the maternal sides ?
. Every one in my family have perfect hair ; dad Norwood 1 ; both grandfather nw1 . BUT my maternal uncle started to bald in early 20 .

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
its rare.

The father tends to be a concrete figure in determining a lot of peoples hair condition. We here about this exceptions, but it doesn't take away from the majority.

Father is sly NW7.
Grandpa NW5
All my uncles are bald

(fathers side)

I ended up taking my grandpas NW5 patern. Thank god I dont have the subhuman NW7 look going... As of right now my sides, and back are showing a NW5 for terminal hair.

Paternal:
Father NW7
Uncles NW7
Grandpa NW7

Maternal:
Grandpa NW7
Uncles NW7

Me: 19 --> diffuser, APKH, Retrogade.

It's just that I felt attacked by a dude on this thread when I said that mostly, bald fathers tend to get bald sons. Exceptions are all bs. I am never the positive exception lol.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
how important are the uncle on the maternal sides ?
. Every one in my family have perfect hair ; dad Norwood 1 ; both grandfather nw1 . BUT my maternal uncle started to bald in early 20 .

Impossible to tell really how important they are. No one knows/understands exactly how male pattern baldness is inherited. There is no one specific male pattern baldness gene, rather it's a combination of genes that makes male pattern baldness manifest itself (having the male pattern baldness genes doesn't even mean that you'll go bald lol).

However, at least, you (I guess not otherwise you wouldn't be here on this forum) or your brothers have a chance of getting those master race genes to be NW1 for life. That can be said.