If Hairloss Is All About Dht Level...

NiBBa

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do some people start receding with 30 or 40 even tho DHT level decreases then and also Testosterone Level that doesnt make sense. Should they lose they're dht sensible hair when dht its on his peak ?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is all about "speed " of miniaturisation. In most people DHT slowly miniaturize hair which is not apperant until they hit mid 30s. The balding process in all predisposed men starts when they hit puberty ,some become bald in early some later . but proceeds a starts when DHT surge after puberty.

NiBBa

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So If someone starts receding with say 17 or 18 is that like a 100 % guaranty for ending up with norwood 7 sooner or later ?

NiBBa

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I dunno I'm only 18 and already a norwood 5 but I never went diffuse it literally just receded

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because sensitivity to DHT increases

When you/people say sensitivity to DHT increases what do you mean? Is it simply an increased density of ARs or/and 5AR in the HFCs as you age or do you mean AR gene transcription increases somehow?

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When you/people say sensitivity to DHT increases what do you mean? Is it simply an increased density of ARs or/and 5AR in the HFCs as you age or do you mean AR gene transcription increases somehow?

Nobody knows. According to the faulty hair follicles theory, blocking DHT 100% should work to restore lost hair. It doesn't, though. And it might not even matter that we don't know why.

Geneticists like Angela Christiano are taking a different approach and trying to switch HF from resting phase to growth phase using growth factors and even gene transcription. She's identified OSM, a protein in HF that when blocked, turns the switch on for hair growth. The most cost effective cure could eventually come to us as a small molecule drug in a tube or bottle that we slather on our heads like Rogaine except with far better results.

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody knows. According to the faulty hair follicles theory, blocking DHT 100% should work to restore lost hair. It doesn't, though. And it might not even matter that we don't know why.

It absolutely is quantifiable, so if people are claiming DHT sensitivity increases with age there would be literature to back the claim. The theory of androgens is pretty solid they cause miniaturisation and we know that because blocking them halts the progression.

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It absolutely is quantifiable, so if people are claiming DHT sensitivity increases with age there would be literature to back the claim. The theory of androgens is pretty solid they cause miniaturisation and we know that because blocking them halts the progression.
But this isnt completely true. Blocking just 70% of DHT with finasteride sometimes reverses hairloss in men.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
This, it's not the cause, it goes much deeper than the simplified "DHT" theory.

Indeed, there are many more connecting factors that we don't understand and and need more research on. Some of these factors are weak or lost in people that lose hair as they age, that is, get past puberty. For example, as stated in this article:

"...Wnt-CM treatment restored and increased DP cell expression of genes downregulated by dihydrotestosterone treatment,.."
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24961246/)

Also, there has been research showing the effects of monoclonal antibodies on hair related gene expression. In this case, I feel future treatment involving stem cells for generation of DPc or supporting tissue as in Tsuji's approach, must address this issue to be successful.
(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5525575/)

abcdefg

Reaction score
dht is just a part in the chain and not the root cause, which is something else, but blaming dht sells finasteride so the entire industry is happy with that

Um well also removing DHT clearly works so results and empirical evidence are also a pretty big part of this. If it didnt have results would anyone really be using it? Like a lot in medicine though no one knows anything, and this is the current best stab at the problem so far that gets results. Not much else to say, but clearly its not just DHT.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The theory of androgens is pretty solid they cause miniaturisation and we know that because blocking them halts the progression.

Halts but doesn't cure baldness. Even castration won't cause full regrowth. The faulty hair follicles theory is lacking.

Scientists are now able to regrow a much more specialized type of hair cell in animals which normally does not regenerate. Progress in hair biology is a few years behind the eightball by comparison. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323925.php

Last edited:

Cymro27

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So If someone starts receding with say 17 or 18 is that like a 100 % guaranty for ending up with norwood 7 sooner or later ?

Not necessarily true. It depends which areas follicle express these genes more.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Halts but doesn't cure baldness. Even castration won't cause full regrowth. The faulty hair follicles theory is lacking.

It's not faulty at all, the theory simply describes what is observed and without question androgens play a major role in the pathogenesis of androgenetic alopecia, sure we don't have a complete model but researchers aren't claiming they do.

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yikes to those who still believe DHT is the only hormone to cause hair loss :eek: