IBM's Story - (NW3.5 -Big 3+Oral spironolactone, pics added Aug 2008)

IBM

Reaction score
Well new hair is coming in my left temple and little in my center hairline but in top it's a lot worse.

G

That sucks..... I am really sorry for you. Maybe I should say some positive words, but we both know that it would be a lie. Will you shave it?

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
Officially NW4 :cry: .

Cheer up, IBM. You are not alone and we all feel your pain.

Is it a lot worse since you started taking finasteride? That could be a good sign, you know - you should get that shed hair back over the next few months.

I was heading away from a sort of diffuse NW2 - I think my destination is NW3v but with the hairline still intact. If my worst fears are confirmed this will leave me with the old Friar Tuck (from Robin Hood) look. Might as well wear a soup dish on my head to attract the attention of classier satellites.

f*** this sh*t. Talking the piece out used to help a bit but not anymore.

:cry:

IBM

Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
That sucks..... I am really sorry for you. Maybe I should say some positive words, but we both know that it would be a lie. Will you shave it?

No. I've got a big deformation on back of my head. I'll look like a clown on a freak show.

dirtrider67

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride seems to really thin your hair out for the first few months. i've been on it for 3 months and don't really notice any improvements. just more hair loss than anything. but i've heard you need to stick with it for at least a year to determine if it works you or not. good luck

G

dirtrider67 said:
finasteride seems to really thin your hair out for the first few months. i've been on it for 3 months and don't really notice any improvements. just more hair loss than anything. but i've heard you need to stick with it for at least a year to determine if it works you or not. good luck

Maybe just a regular male pattern baldness shed since the finasteride doesn´t work yet. At least that´s my assumption!

IBM

Reaction score
Thanks for your support and advices. I see some progression on temples but thin on top.

IBM

Reaction score
Day after day my high left temple (which is more receded) is being refilled with hair. Same for my hairline left center but more slowly. I'm really satisfied.

My concern now is top of my head it's really a NW4. Besides i've more flaking skin and dandruff. Nizoral its not enough. I'll have to find some way to use coal tar smelling cream and not disturb my career.

I'm hoping to be a NW3 if i have same progression as my left temple.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're really concerned about your crown, use twice daily applications of minoxidil. With a NW4 crown you shouldn't be too worried about it messing up your hair with greasiness etc. Better yet, use the foam. I think with the success you're seeing on your crown, a little more rogaine on the crown might work. One application a day probably isn't doing much. It'd probably be even better, if you want to maintain one mL a day, too apply half a mL twice daily. Ensures a constant flow of minoxidil.

You sound particularly concerned about the crown. Maybe try a big gun like topical spirolactone?

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
minoxidil twice a day is a must imho. Also do you consider a hair transplant? If you have regrowth it means that you will also maintain for at least some years. 2000 grafts plus some medication regrowth could give you a decent look for at least 5 years if you maintain well with finasteride and minoxidil.

And btw have you considered a plastic surgery for this think you say you have in your head? Perhaps your medical insurance could cover it. A friend of mine had a spot that looked like a burn but it wasnt, and he got it removed with insurance paying 50% of the cost.

IBM

Reaction score
Using minoxidil in the morning is very bad. It will make my hair awful and make very thin in in dark spots. I cant use that.

I cant buy minoxidil foam. There's regulation about minoxidil in here so i cant import (even minoxdirect.com warn me about it).

Hair transplant is out of question. I dont like surgeries.

What i have in my head is plagiocephaly:

plagio1.jpg

Beside of having horizontal deformation i also have vertical deformation (i have more skull in donor area while on top i've a kind of an hollow).

To confirm this my parents said that when i was a baby i slept only on one side. That was caused by torticollis.

Fortunately only back of my head was affected. My face is acceptally simmetric.

When i had full head of hair i could hide it very well but now it's obvious.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ah.

Two applications of minoxidil per day could make a difference, IBM - how about applying it once when you finish your day's work (5.30-6.00pm) and once before you go to bed at night. It's not quite eight hours between applications, but it's close enough.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
It's not possble.

If that's not possible (although I think you should try to find a way) then how about attempting to improve the absorbtion of your once a day application, using, for example, emu oil or retin-A cream? Or how about switching to something reportedly stronger like Spectral DNC?

If you need regrowth you have to pull out all the stops.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont really consider hair transplant a surgery. Local anaisthisia, and in some hours you are done. If money is not an issue i believe you must have it. And yes, you have to find a way to apply minoxidil twice a day. Consider using q-tips its easy and very accurate plus less is wasted at hair.

IBM

Reaction score
Two months on finasteride and 8 on minoxidil 5% once a day. I'm worse than i started the treatments (late May) but i think i'm better than finasteride kickoff.

On my top left temple is filled with strong hair. On top its the same. Its hard to evaluate (i dont have a buzz cut).

The cons of finasteride i dont have that irritating itch on scalp or what you call tightning feeling. But now Seb. Dermatitis is very strong and is causing all the itches because where i have itch is where skin is flaking though it's not rot nor bloody. But i'm on a battle.

I'm considering oral spironolactone. I've seen three success stories.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FUE is totally non-invasive. You'd have to be a real pussy to not want one of those. Just be real and say you don't have the money. No shame in that, most of us have been there at one point or another. I spent most of my life like that. I still owe my dad about 6500 bucks for the surgery.

IBM

Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
FUE is totally non-invasive. You'd have to be a real pussy to not want one of those. Just be real and say you don't have the money. No shame in that, most of us have been there at one point or another. I spent most of my life like that. I still owe my dad about 6500 bucks for the surgery.

What? No money? I've been poor with a lot of owe's great part of my life and i'm no shame of that. I just dont like that kind of surgery.