I Need Some Diffused Thinners For Guinea Pigs

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trader Joe's has Ubiquinol 100mg in their stores for 20 dollars. I bought some today and will see how it goes.

s-l1000.jpg

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trader Joe's has Ubiquinol 100mg in their stores for 20 dollars. I bought some today and will see how it goes.

View attachment 128214

Awesome!! Good luck, definitely post some before and afters! Not bad at $10 a month.

Remember to take it in the morning, it gives you energy. Taking it at night will cause insomnia. It is also supposed to be taken with something that has some fat in it according to: https://www.consumerlab.com/answers...q10-and-ubiquinol/coq10_ubiquinol_difference/

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By what mechanism does it help with hair growth?
"Ubiquinone‐50, also referred to as coenzyme Q10, is well known in cosmetic science and especially in skin care because of its antioxidant activity. It is found in the membranes of peroxisomes, lysosomes, vesicles, the endoplasmic reticulum and notably in the inner membrane of the mitochondrion, where it is an important part of the electron transport chain. Using coenzyme Q10 in the proposed emulsifier system we could show that the molecule not only has relevance as an anti‐aging bioactive in skin care but also has positive effects on the human hair follicle. The hair follicle is a complex mini organ and synthesis of hair keratin, the major component of hair fibers, is an essential prerequisite for the growth of strong and healthy hair. But like all biological systems the hair follicle, the biologically active part of the hair, also undergoes an aging process associated among other things with a decline in certain hair keratins. Due to this age‐related shift in basic structural proteins of the hair shaft, mature hair often becomes fragile and difficult to manage. Therefore it is a challenge for cosmetic science to provide bioactives to fight age‐related changes and maintain a youthful appearance of hair. Using cultivated hair follicle keratinocytes we identified coenzyme Q10 as a potent bioactive that stimulates the gene expression of different hair keratins, especially those which are reduced during aging processes in hair follicles. These results led us to investigate a shampoo and a tonic formulation enriched with coenzyme Q10 in a placebo‐controlled panel study. In a left/right comparison a group of healthy volunteers older than 40 years of age applied the formulations daily for 4 days. Throughout the test period the gene expression of different hair keratins from plucked hair follicles was determined using quantitative polymerase chain reaction techniques. Subsequent statistical analysis revealed an increase in age‐relevant hair keratins in human hair roots treated with coenzyme Q10, thus pointing out the striking benefits of coenzyme Q10 in hair care formulations. We conclude that coenzyme Q10 is an ideal ingredient for hair care formulations, providing anti‐aging properties through activation of specific keratins aligned with the needs of mature hair."

Ubiquinol is the more easily absorbed version of Ubiquinone. I am suggesting 100mg oral, which is equivalent to about 400mg Ubiquinone rather than as a topical.

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By what mechanism does it help with hair growth?

Lurker85 answered your question better than I have but I would just add that most of us on finasteride and/or min are already taking the big steps to help hair loss. The rest is more about just helping your hair on the margins. Like Nizoral is not a big deal by itself but it does seem to help with scalp irritation/inflammation so it promotes a healthier hair growth environment.

None of these supplements like biotin or CoQ10 will likely do anything crazy but if it helps increase the quality of your hair a little bit that's still something. Even if it helps darken the pigment of existing hair, that increases the appearance of density if you have dark hair. With hair loss, every little bit counts.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lurker85 answered your question better than I have but I would just add that most of us on finasteride and/or min are already taking the big steps to help hair loss. The rest is more about just helping your hair on the margins. Like Nizoral is not a big deal by itself but it does seem to help with scalp irritation/inflammation so it promotes a healthier hair growth environment.

None of these supplements like biotin or CoQ10 will likely do anything crazy but if it helps increase the quality of your hair a little bit that's still something. Even if it helps darken the pigment of existing hair, that increases the appearance of density if you have dark hair. With hair loss, every little bit counts.
If this does even that, that sounds more realistic than what op is saying. Fuckin hair.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If this does even that, that sounds more realistic than what op is saying. Fuckin hair.

I originally started to take Ubiquinol because I was researching ways to fight grey hairs. I'm about to turn 35, but started to go a little grey about 2 years ago. All I can go by is what happened to my hair. I took Ubiquinol and then my hair became noticeably darker. I believe dermarolling caused a lot of vellus growth, based on what I was seeing after 30 and 60 days of weekly 1.5mm rolling, and Ubiquinol darkened it up which caused it to have a cosmetically significant impact.

I do not think Ubiquinol by itself will likely have any great results. I don't think it'll grow hair on a completely bald spot. But, for us with diffused thing threre is usually a lot of small, thin, and basically translucent hair. This is why concealers work so great for us. With dermmatch no one would ever guess that I have hair problems, because concealers make every little strand count. I've actually considered dying my hair with henna to see if it gives the same results as dermmatch without the need to keep applying it every 3 to 4 days. If Ubiquinol can possibly darken all those hairs up without the need to add dye or dermmatch my hair then I'd consider my battle 90% over.

What I can tell you is that so far, with only short term use, I'm seeing something happen. It might just be a coincidence and 100% dermarolling results, but I haven't really seen any other results where the hair was noticeably darker. I just wanted to share my findings in hopes that this helps someone else out, since people posting their results with microneedling has helped me out.

I've received messages asking if I'm affiliated with Ubiquinol... that is not the case. This stuff has been available for years. If I had that kind of money I would have had a transplant by now. I just spend an unhealthy amount of time reading research articles that mention supplements which could potentially lead to healthier hair and give them a shot. I've gone through about 20 different ones and this is the first that made me excited enough to share it.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I've used a lot of natural treatments for hairloss with no benefit, such as ecklonia cava, pumpkin seed oil, saw palmetto, castor oil, rosemary/lavendar/essential oils, nettle, etc.

However, this may provide some benefit, but I am a bit nervous about taking it for prolonged periods of time. Hell, I feel bad for taking finasteride for almost 3 years, but without it I would be bald, so I force myself to do it.

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've used a lot of natural treatments for hairloss with no benefit, such as ecklonia cava, pumpkin seed oil, saw palmetto, castor oil, rosemary/lavendar/essential oils, nettle, etc.

However, this may provide some benefit, but I am a bit nervous about taking it for prolonged periods of time. Hell, I feel bad for taking finasteride for almost 3 years, but without it I would be bald, so I force myself to do it.

Why would you be nervous about it taking it? It's already in your body naturally (peak levels at 20 years old and begins to go down with age) and people have been taking CoQ10 supplements for a long time for things like energy boosts, hearth health, and antioxidant properties.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My theory on hair lost for diffused thinners is that we have a deficiency. So many factors play a role in hair loss that it is hard to pinpoint exactly what the deficiency is. Ot is likely different for everyone.

Iron deficiency causes thinning, so I've been taking a very small dosage for the last few months.

Zinc deficiency causes thinning, and today I'm starting on 15mg of that.

Low CoQ-10 levels causes ageing effects in hair, and is something we all get a deficiency in as we age, so I'm taking that.

I've tried a bunch of different vitamins and minerals in the past. Nothing caused a significant change, until now.

I don't think it is the Ubiquinol alone. I think the microneedling caused vellus hairs to sprout and Ubiquinol turned them into mature hairs by helping nourish the follicle. Science backs up my theory. Plus I didn't just have really short new hairs, they are all about a half inch to an inch in length, which means they've been there for at least a little bit, but finally thickened up.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also a diffuse thinner and never heard of Coq10, but read up on it and find it interesting. I'll be your guinea pig for 3 months, starting tonight. Should I see results in 3 months?

How do you microneedle on such a large area of your head?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm also a diffuse thinner and never heard of Coq10, but read up on it and find it interesting. I'll be your guinea pig for 3 months, starting tonight. Should I see results in 3 months?

How do you microneedle on such a large area of your head?

Yea, I think you should see results within 3 months, but part of ot is going to probably dependent on what stage of growth you are in.

I use a hand mirror when microneedling. It is very very painful, but the benefits far outweigh the pain. I'm a 4/10 with no hair and an 8/10 with hair.. that's how important hair is to my looks. Plus I'm a therapist, I don't look approachable with my head shaved.; picture Edward norton in American history x, very similar to that.

I used a 1.5mm zgts, but now I'm using a dr pen a6 ultima. It takes me about 30 minutes because I need to go over it so many times to hit all my areas, but seeing results makes it so worthwhile.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are there any potential sides from this supplement?

"
Safety and side effects
CoQ10 supplements appear to be safe and to produce few side effects when taken as directed.
Mild side effects might include:
Upper abdominal pain
Loss of appetite
Nausea
Diarrhea
Headaches
Insomnia
Rashes
Fatigue
Dizziness
Light sensitivity
Irritability
The safety of use of CoQ10 during pregnancy and breast-feeding hasn't been established. Don't use CoQ10 if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.
Interactions
Possible interactions include:
Anticoagulants. CoQ10 might make blood-thinning drugs, such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven), less effective. This could increase the risk of a blood clot."
Is a list one site says.

"
This product usually has very few side effects. Nausea, loss of appetite, upset stomach, or diarrhea may rarely occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor promptly.

A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing."
Is what another site said.

I suffer from digestive issues and this hasn't triggered it at all. I always take it with a meal. Haven't had any side effects myself yet. From what I've read only very few people have even mild sides, so relatively safe, especially when comparing to some of the other stuff we take.

We naturally produce this, just less as we age.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is the ubiquinol still improving things for you (as far as that's objectively possible to gauge)? What made you decide on the 100mg daily dose? The little amount of studies that were done (for other reasons than hair growth) used very varied doses, some well over 1000mg of CoQ10 daily.
Anyone else having any success on it?

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is the ubiquinol still improving things for you (as far as that's objectively possible to gauge)? What made you decide on the 100mg daily dose? The little amount of studies that were done (for other reasons than hair growth) used very varied doses, some well over 1000mg of CoQ10 daily.

Still having success, it is a bit better than last month. If it continues this steady for a year I'll have good hair.

I think dose is according to age. For 34, 100mg seemed appropriate. I may consider upping it.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where did you read about ubiquinol being 3-4 times stronger than ubiquinone? I'm reading very mixed reports on which form to take. All scientific studies about the benefits of CoQ10 were done with ubiquinone it seems. Reviews also indicate that it can differ from person to person which form your body reacts best to (most reviews are about the surge in energy that CoQ10 can give you though). I'm taking both, just to be sure that I'm getting the best possible results - if any, of course. It's been 1,5 months, nothing to report so far.

As shown in Figure 1, a recent human trial showed that supplementing with just 150 mg per day of ubiquinol resulted in CoQ10 blood levels of 3.84 mcg/mL. In study subjects who took 300 mg per day of ubiquinol, blood CoQ10 levels reached 7.28 mcg/mL. This study showed that it took only four weeks to achieve these desirable high levels.46

To put these blood levels in perspective, scientists have conducted human clinical trials using very high doses of conventional CoQ10 in enhanced delivery systems.

As shown in the chart above (Figure 1), one clinical study used 1200 mg per day of ubiquinone CoQ10 to achieve blood concentrations of 3.96 mcg/mL. Based on recently published absorption studies, just 150 mg per day of ubiquinol would provide virtually the same high CoQ10 blood levels as 1200 mg of enhanced-delivery ubiquinone CoQ10.46,47

https://beta.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/1/report_coq10

Citations requested are at bottom of magazine article.