I have quit minoxidil with no noticeable negative effects!!!

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
just curious about your progress with quitting minoxidil

how are things doing?

in your opinion is you hair getting better or worse

cheers mate

eXVee

Established Member
Reaction score
After I quit my hair started looking healthier and healthier. Then I had to go on some other meds that really put a lot of stress on my body. The meds also severely decreased my appetite causing a shortage in vitamins, minerals and protein.

Now I've got Androgenetic Alopecia and Telogen Effluvium. Sigh... :shakehead:

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
Exvee, if you remeber I quit minoxidil around the same time that you did.

My sides disappeared too. But with it a huge amount of hair. I've been able to get back atleast 80% of the post minoxidil quit shed.

Still thin but I want to see what happens in the next couple of months . Mid june I will be completing 1 year on finasteride, hopefully things will turn around then.

One big factor that has stopped me from going back to minoxidil is that the sheds have almost gone down to nil.

The only shedding now is around the hairline which is gradually receding, if that holds and hair thickens up, I could'nt be asking for more, even though I have receded quite a bit

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Started minoxidil (kirklands this time) again. Been using it for one week. I've added finasteride into the mix to create topical finoxidil. I use it once a day not twice like i did first time round. So far no flaking and only slight headache which is tollerable. I should note i use emu oil to increase the absorbtion and protect against irritation and the inflammation which usually comes with minoxidil. This inflammation that usually occurs can work against minoxidils magic i believe by inhibiting regrowth making it some what counter productive to some extent. Emu oil for me has solved that problem. I should also note that im using nizoral. For those of you who cant tollerate side effects like i couldnt you can try my method. I know one week is not a long time to make such judgements but my skin doesnt feel dry or irritated like it did the first time i used minoxidil.

ThinBrent

Reaction score
follicle84, where do you get your emu oil, how much do you use, and how do you use it? Do you mix it directly into the minoxidil bottle?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I got it from agestop, but im sure you can get a better deal on ebay. I paid 12 pounds for the stuff but i've seen better deals on ebay for 8-10 pounds.

ThinBrent

Reaction score
But what do you do with it? Put it on in the shower? Mix it with the minoxidil bottle? Put it on separately and wait for it to dry before applying minoxidil?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In order i use nizoral and leave it on for 5-7 mins. I wash it out with conditioner which i leave on for 2-3mins. I then dry my hair and wait 20 mins before applying emu oil on my scalp followed by minoxidil roughly 5-10 mins later. By applying emu oil first before applying minoxidil. Minoxidil cant damage my scalp as emu oil moisturises the scalp to prevent this as well as enabling quick absorbtion. So minoxidil is taken straight to the the routes of the scalp (at least thats what i've read).

ali777

Reaction score
I have actually noticed the difference in my hair a month or two after stopping minoxidil. I used it religiously for about 8 months. I always thought I had minimal gain but that gain wasn't worth having a bloated face.

Yes, I also had the bloated face thing. I didn't have it everyday but whenever I did, I looked tired, ugly, etc. It just wasn't worth it.

Anyway, It's been 2 months since stopping minoxidil and at about a month mark I had a small shed that lasted about 10 days. I also noticed that the areas that started thickening are thinning again.

JWM

Reaction score
follicle84

I would apply the minoxidil BEFORE the emu oil. The oil will likely act as a barrier preventing minoxidil absorption.

ethan

Reaction score
Ugh I'm in a bit of a rutt. I only just started minoxidil a few weeks ago, and I already want to quit it...I really want to regrow hair, but minoxidil seems like the only option (according to the FDA anyway...). Help?

live1

Reaction score
i used minoxidil twice a day for 2 months ,had to stop because it gave me wrinkles puffy eyes and red rings.ive been off it nearly 2 months ,no shedding or anything like that,i didn't shed when starting either.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JWM said:
follicle84

I would apply the minoxidil BEFORE the emu oil. The oil will likely act as a barrier preventing minoxidil absorption.

Emu oil if its refined will absorb very quickly unlike most lotions. It shouldnt leave any residue after 5 mins unless your applying too much. The idea of applying it first is to make skin soft and moisturised to prevent damage to skin from the minoxidil. Now aplying it after minoxidil on the other hand may still be good but then you will be interfering with emu oils absorbtion into the skin by having the minoxidil residue their first, at least thats what i think. Emu oil alone is believed to help with hairloss and from what i have read it increases the amount of hair in the anagen (growing) stage of the hairs life cycle. There's apparently studies on this i here. Therefore i think using it first before applying minoxidil is probably best to enable more effective absorbtion of the oil and protect the skin from minoxidils damage without interfering with its absorbtion.

Petchsky

Reaction score
follicle84 said:
JWM said:
follicle84

Emu oil if its refined will absorb very quickly unlike most lotions. It shouldnt leave any residue after 5 mins unless your applying too much. The idea of applying it first is to make skin soft and moisturised to prevent damage to skin from the minoxidil. Now aplying it after minoxidil on the other hand may still be good but then you will be interfering with emu oils absorbtion into the skin by having the minoxidil residue their first, at least thats what i think. Emu oil alone is believed to help with hairloss and from what i have read it increases the amount of hair in the anagen (growing) stage of the hairs life cycle. There's apparently studies on this i here. Therefore i think using it first before applying minoxidil is probably best to enable more effective absorbtion of the oil and protect the skin from minoxidils damage without interfering with its absorbtion.

Pretty sure JWM is right, even states on www.skinbiology.com to apply minoxidil first then emu oil as it carries both down further in to the skin. But, we all have our own ways.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe your right but i was thinking of protecting the skin by using emu oil first so that theirs no way minoxidil can do its damage to the skin. I guess i cant argue against skin biology, what ever works at the end of the day is all that matters. Petchsky what copper peptides do you use? seems your using a very similair regimen to mine.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I think the emu oil will still give your scalp the benefits either way.

I'm using folligen and hair signals, though I mix the hair signals in with my minoxidil, also occasionally use emu oil, it is excellent for the scalp, but very greasy.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you mix them into one solution within the minoxidil or use them separatelly. I've been tempted to do this to save hassle. However i worry that by doing this the products may interfere with each other and not have the desired effect.

Furthermore i've been checking up on the ingredients for hairsignals and it sounds good. It contains anti dht inhibitors (sawpalmetto, beta-sitosterol, pygeum africanum) anti inflammatory (lavenda) copperpeptides and sod's (aloe vera) as well as polysorbates to improve absorbtion of these ingrediants.

Combine this with minoxidil and emu oil an thats mostly all you need to battle hair loss with the exception of finasteride and spironolactone. I too have just ordered hair signals and im confident it will work.

I am also considering taking the following supplements to further boost my results. L-Arginine (synthesizes N.O.) GliSODin (SOD, prevents superoxides from harming NO), Multi vitamins, sawpalmetto (450mg), beta-sitosterol (300 mg), alpha lipoic acid, brocolli extract, omega 3, flax seed and l-lysine.

Im also thinking of adding saw plametto and fenugreek into my minoxidil solution as an experiment. I read that they may work topically for hairloss. Need to do more research into this however.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Sounds good follicle. I mix the hair sigs with my minoxidil, probably better to do separately, but I don't think it impairs the quality too much, wait 10 mins, then add emu oil. :)

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It does doesnt it. Im slowly losing the battle unfortunatelly so this is my last ditch attempt to stop my hairloss as i have tried most of everything else (they either didnt work, gave too many sides or i wasnt consistant enough). Im confident however i can at least halt my hairloss with this new regimen. How goes progress with your regimen Petchsky?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Well, i'm just over 3 months post op from a hair transplant, 1800 grafts, but that aside, my non transplanted areas are holding up very well.

I dropped my propecia dosage down to 0.6 about 5 months ago from 1.25mg, with no loss of hair, and added copper peptides and some zinc based and other natural herb based sls free shampoos to my regimen, along with my normal 1X a day application of kirkland minoxidil and my hair feels healthier and thicker, with some very minor regrowth at the temples...been fighting hairloss since 2002 and holding the forte still.

I also take omega 3 oil and mix and match with different herbal and natural meds.

In a few months i'm going to add proxiphen EOD and nano shampoo to my regimen and cut minoxidil down to EOD also, but I can't afford to do that just yet.

I've put quite a few photos on my HairLossTalk.com hair loss blog in any one is interested, some old photos from 2004 and then some from Jan 2009.

Good luck with the fight Follicle